August 2017 Moms

Baby Gear Questions and Suggestions

Re: Baby Gear Questions and Suggestions

• @lewliv I cant say its a must, but I loved the idea of having a place to put little dude down, without having to have a bouncer/swing/or other thing, without putting him on the floor.  
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • AbbeyHAbbeyH member
    @lewliv not a must have- but like @littlebug2010 said it is helpful for having a place to set them down that is not a rock and play or bouncer. I found it very easy to move around and even take over to friends houses opposed to a bouncer or something. 
  • Loading the player...
  • tova24tova24 member
    @lewliv my friend (mother of 5) bought me one and told me she liked it because it doesn't take up a lot of space, you can use it for a long time, and it's easy to clean. 
  • middy411middy411 member
    edited June 2017
    @lewliv I also didn't have one for DD1. First time I saw it was at a friend's house when DD1 was a couple months old. I set her in it a few times while there and liked how secure she felt. Said friend let me borrow the lounger and I used it when I could get away with cooking dinner without babywearing or when I needed to use the restroom really quick etc. I agree it probably isn't a must have but I did enjoy the convenience so I purchased one this time around since I have a lot less gear to buy 

edit: words
  • Ordered a contour double stroller today. I've been driving myself nuts trying to decide on one I finally just did it. Picked a mid priced one with lots of storage.

I have to be the most indecisive person on the planet
  • NxyNxy member
    @PinkPrincessPiper I LOVE that crib!!! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nxy said:
    @PinkPrincessPiper I LOVE that crib!!! 
    Thank you! DD's crib/changer are white, the nursery walls are beige, and the dresser & curtains are sage green. There's a few pops of pink, but I think the blue crib & some new wall decals will make it gender-neutral perfect! :love: 
  • tova24tova24 member
    @PinkPrincessPiper I'm OBSESSED with that crib! The color great. 
  • tova24 said:
    @PinkPrincessPiper I'm OBSESSED with that crib! The color great. 
    Thank you! :)
  • @PinkPrincessPiper <3 love love love that crib!
  • @PinkPrincessPiper Love it!! You'll have to post pics when you get it all set up in the room. 

Which bassinet is that? I've been eyeing the Halo, but it's just so pricey I'm struggling to justify it. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @secicc12  It's a Fisher-Price. Here's the link: Fisher-Price Rock 'n Play Portable Bassinet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DDPL32/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_iP2ozb00MA35A
    I couldn't justify the cost of the Halo either! 
  • OTmom3OTmom3 member
    @PinkPrincessPiper, love that crib!
    BabyFruit Ticker

#1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17

• Does anybody have any experience with Aden & Anais baby clothing? Specifically, does it run big or small? I tend to have petite kids and am still on this hunt for baby boy clothes that I like/a coming-home outfit. Do we have a coming home outfit thread somewhere?

Unfortunately I've fallen in love with the Burberry kid stuff (I mean they have a "Callum" shirt, so I have to buy it even though it is $70 for a newborn t-shirt, right?)... I need to find something cheaper!

I'm also exploring options of what to put on his feet if I try to branch out from footies/socks. Does anybody have any experience with newborn sized moccasin slip-ons? I don't think the smallest Robeez will fit him for a few months. 

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• @donehue I have never used anything aden+anais (fftc?) Also you must be joking about a $70 shirt for a baby. Most of my outfits cost less than that. 

Re: socks/shoes, DS was born in June and rarely wore socks. He had chubby ankles and they all cut his circulation off, poor kid had indentions from the sock cuff. I have heard good things about Zutano.

• @donehue I havent used any of their clothing, but I have some of their blankets.  I also know that if you have a TJMax around you, you should check that out.  They have had Aden&Anais clothes at mine before, as well as some other blankets and towels.  But $70 for a baby clothing anything seems a bit over priced!
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
  • @donehue I don't think we have a coming home outfit thread yet, but I think there should be! I've just started thinking about that myself.

Have you looked secondhand for the Burberry shirt? Because while Burberry baby is so cute, $70 for an infant shirt is in crazy town territory. Poshmark is an online consignment store where people put up some nicer higher end items for relatively good prices. Someone might be selling it on there.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for the TJMax suggestion! DH and I went to the Marshalls in Downtown Crossing yesterday during lunch and they had ZERO newborn sized clothing - I will try TJs!

Totally not joking about the $70 shirt. It is just a white t-shirt with a plaid pocket on it. If I remotely had the time/patience to sew a pocket on a shirt I would be all set. I need to find a good etsy shop :smile:  

• @donehue The marshalls in Downtown crossing (and the TJs) are awful!  They are always so picked over.  Try either the marshalls on Boylston or TJs on Newbury!  I live in Somerville, so I go to the Tjs by Assembly row most times.  
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • @donehue you could always try a resale shop...although if you're seriously considering purchasing a $70 shirt for a baby, I'm going to just assume you don't shop secondhand. But honestly, $70 is an insane amount of money for a baby shirt. I could think of so many other financially smart ways to spend that money. A shirt or diapers for several weeks?
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Would anyone recommend getting a, extra chest freezer to handle their breast milk storage? I know it might be putting the cart before the horse because I have no way of knowing how breastfeeding/pumping will work out for me, but I'm just thinking of crowded my normal freezer is going to get between frozen meals and pumped milk.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mango517, I know of a few people who have bought the extra freezer, but its been more for freezer meals, than milk.  DH and I have thought about buying a super small one (we dont have space for a full one), so we can store freezer meals in it, as well as breast milk.  I also know that a few of them bought theirs at yard sales, so that if breastfeeding didnt work out, and they didnt need the extra space, they werent out a ton of money. 
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • @littlebug2010 That's precisely what I'm thinking about doing- buying a smaller, second hand (or scratch and dent) freezer to see how well it works out for us.We don't have a huge fridge, so I can just see our freezer becoming a worse jumbled mess than it is now once freezer meals and frozen milk supply are thing we have to contend with. I know some people swear by the large chest freezers for their families but that would be overkill right now.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ha, @aehogan90 I totally do shop secondhand! I was on eBay this morning, with no luck. I've bought off poshmark before, but didn't realize they had kid stuff too, so I will check that out. My problem is that I feel like parents who can afford this stuff no problem don't need to be reselling it on eBay etc. (I also fell in love with a Gucci baby blanket on Nordstrom's website for $300, which luckily has sold out, but I was secondhand shopping for that too). With baby #3 we don't need a single big ticket item so I have way too much time to think about nice-to-haves rather than need-to-haves. 

@mango517 we got an extra freezer before DD1 and it was super helpful for storing pumped milk. It is in our basement now and used for long term storage of large items like freezer meals. 

• @Mango517 we have a small one in the basement that my parents got us for Christmas. I like to stock up on meats and freeze them. I'm going to clean out a spot for milk.  Definitely beneficial even if you don't use it for milk
  • @donehue I didn't mean to sound snarky in my original response, I guess it just sounds insane to me to drop that kind of money on an item that your baby will wear a handful of times, will get pooped on, etc. I have found some designer things at our local Kid to Kid for DD, and pretty much only bought secondhand for her and will do the same with DS. I also understand that you don't need big or expensive items this time, but why not put that money into a college fund or vacation fund instead? Just trying to understand your motivation.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • @Mango517 Our house happened to have a second refrigerator and freezer in the basement, which was perfect for storing milk.  I had a large freezer stash especially the second time around and there's no way it would have fit in our regular freezer with everything else we had in there.  It's definitely worth looking into getting.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @bumpybump what a great idea for storage. I was going to buy baskets, but you my friend, are a genius!
  • @SouthernMama15 thanks but I can't take full credit. It was thanks to Pinterest and two of those boxes worked perfectly for our deep freezer baskets. (the picture above is not mine)

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• donehuedonehue member
    edited June 2017
    Edited to state that my motivation is just to enjoy dressing my last child and first little boy, while spending as little money as possible. Thank you all for your advice. 

• tova24tova24 member
    @donehue you do you! That's amazing that you can support your family like that! 
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    Any STMs use/recommend a hand pump? I ordered the battery option upgrade with my electric pump but had read a few places that the hand pump was nice to have if you were just going out for the day or less and didn't want to bring your bigger breast pump along (for pumping in the car or if the baby is asleep and you're engorged). Then I asked my friend at work whose pregnant with her second and she said the hospital gave her one last time.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @kvh22,
    I didn't have the battery option last time,  and we lost power for 24 hours (I EPed). Ended up going to Wal-Mart and buying the handheld Medala pump.  It was cheap enough, and while it was not nearly as effective as my PISA, it did the job.  It was also good in a pinch, like you said, if I didn't want to lug my big pump around.  I'd say go for it if you can. Better to have it and if you don't use it, you can return it or sell it.

Pregnancy Ticker

• NxyNxy member
    @aehogan90 let's not forget the unwanted internet attention such bragging could bring  :o:D:D
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • donehuedonehue member
    edited June 2017
    Oh my goodness, I should have just let it drop. Not looking for attention. Looking for somebody to talk to about baby clothes. I will edit my comment. 

Edit - Also, I definitely HATE conflict and will always back down quickly. I really appreciate everybody's unique perspective on here. I tried to come back to your first comment in the most tactful way possible and I messed up when prompted a second time. Sorry! 

• @kvh22 I had a handheld pump. I bought it for back up. I actually ended upkeeping it in my classroom. It was back up incase I forgot my pump (or some part) at home. I live a good 30 minutes from work and as a teacher my lunch is only 30 minutes. I figured at home I had the PISA and the baby. I think I packed it a few times for trips too, but mostly it stayed at school.