August 2017 Moms
Options

Vbac or repeat csection?

What's your plan ladies? 

Re: Vbac or repeat csection?

• Options
    I had a csection with my first (water broke at 36 weeks and she was breech). For my second I had a VBAC and I am SO glad I did. It was such a good experience. I plan to have another VBAC this time with my third. Feel free to ask me if anyone has any questions about VBACs!
    BabyFruit Ticker

#1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17

• Options
    @OTmom3, I love reading about successful VBACs. 

I will be trying for a VBA2C. I'm so excited!
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm scheduling my c-section. Not worth the risk of my uterus rupturing. I had to be cut vertically and it was strongly recommended by the surgeon to not even chance it vaginally again.
  • Options
    That's great @a2003tiger!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    This is my fourth c-section. My first was an emergency. The 2nd labor came on hard & fast before the scheduled c-section. The nurse asked if I wanted to just try to push (for a VBAC), but I was in so much pain, I went ahead with another c-section. Last time, baby stayed put until the repeat c/s was scheduled. It was my easiest delivery. Surgery was scheduled for 6am. By 6:12am, we had a beautiful, healthy baby & went straight to recovery. That's the experience I'm hoping to have again! 
  • Options
    With my last delivery, I was 40 weeks and delivering twins.  One had passed away at 22 weeks, but the other was a healthy 7 pound baby.  I delivered the still born naturally, and then had to get an emergency c-section for my son, because my pelvis wasn't wide enough.  Recovery was horrible!  My doctor told me that going through labor and a c-section is the worst recovery, vs a schedule c-section or a normal vaginal birth.  My doctor is totally on board with whatever I want to do, but knowing it's very possible I would need an emergency c-section again, I don't think I am going to try for a VBAC.
  • Options
    @OTmom3 I am glad you were able to have a successful VBAC!

I am planning a RCS.  I had an emergency c section with DD1, a RCS due to a breech DD2 (I had been planning on trying to VBAC,) and I am planning a RCS this time as well.  I was also advised by my doctor not to try for VBA2C.  My recovery was a million times better with my scheduled c section vs. my emergency one so I am fine going that route.
    Married 5/21/2011
    DD 1 10/2012
    CP 9/2013
    DD 2 6/2014
    CP 3/2016        
     BFP 12/8/2016        
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @a2003tiger good lunch with your VBA2C plan!
    @ca17ra the recovery after a c section and labor was exactly why I was scared to try to VBAC.  The recovery and experience was a million times better for me after my RCS.  
    Married 5/21/2011
    DD 1 10/2012
    CP 9/2013
    DD 2 6/2014
    CP 3/2016        
     BFP 12/8/2016        
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Repeat c section likely. My husband feels that if there's any risk towards my life (or baby's) that we shouldn't even consider vbac. I'm kind of on board with him unless my doc has some really compelling argument for vbac (so far it doesn't seem she does lol). Plus last time having a long
    labor ending in a c section was straight misery. Not knowing why my baby wouldn't come out of me just gives me a lot of uncertainty. And throwing around an "80% possibility of success" isn't comforting when it's your life you're considering. I'm not sure what I would be risking my health for? Bragging rights to say my baby came out of my vagina? Eh... so far I'm leaning towards RCS.
  • Options
    With my DD the doctor told me that I would most likely need a c-section. I have a tilted cervix and it would have made it difficult. When I went into labor my water broke, contractions started a while after, then I stalled out at 7cm. From there we all just gave up and I had a C. Turned out she probably would have never fit anyway because she was 9.8lbs. 

While I was recovering the doctor told me my next pregnancy would be a C. There was no talk about VBAC or even trying. Now that I am pregnant, we'll see. But most likely I'll go straight to a c-section again. 
  • Options
    Thanks @hupp0013.
    I had never labored before my first csection since she was breech so it made me a good candidate to try VBAC. That being said, I was a few mins away from a repeat csection because the cord was around my son's neck and his heart rate dropped every time I pushed. Luckily I was able to get him out quick enough.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I too will go the RCS route. 

*tw* with my 4th pregnancy (that ended in a MC at 11 weeks) I wanted to try a VBAC and my Doctor said while she wouldn't refuse me one, she would not do the surgery. I was too high a candidate for a rupture. My DH said that with it being such a big risk he would be extremely worried about me trying a VBAC and it would make him happier if I went the C-section route. Since I am not even sure he will be able to be at my side, I would rather do the C-Section so we can try to work out him traveling with me.
  • Options
    holshmamaholshmama member
    edited January 2017
    Most likely a repeat c section for me also. I had an emergency c section after being in labor for quite a few hours. Baby simply wouldn't fit, and his heart rate was dropping every time I had a contraction. I had a great recovery. Doctor told me soon after that delivery that any subsequent children would likely be even bigger and he'd recommend another section. I absolutely don't want to have the same experience I did last time (as far as labor), so I'm cool with a scheduled date and time. 
  • Options
    My doctor doesn't do VBACS, but the thought of a uterine rupture terrifies me.  My 1st was a scheduled c section at 39+2 days due to baby being breech.  I was thankful becuase the little turkey weighed 9 lbs and 5 oz
  • Options
    I ended up with a c-section after a failed induction with my first.  I went into labor on my own with my second, but he couldn't tolerate when I pushed so I ended up with another c-section.  I'll have a scheduled c-section this time around.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It's been great to read this thread, as I'm pretty convinced I'm going to need or end up with a c-section. Very comforting to hear honest thoughts on CS and RCS, as well as VBaC.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    This will be my 3rd VBAC. First c-section for failure to progress. Stuck at 6 cm for hoouuurrrsss. Non-emergency c-section. He was posterior. 

1st VBAC was still a long labor and I pushed (with an epi) for 2 1/2 hours but after her head was out I got to deliver her myself and it was a really special moment. 

2nd VBAC was super fast. She was born barely 2 hours after we got to the hospital. No epi. Delivered her myself too, which was incredible. Then she pooped all over me. 

We were considering homebirth this time, but because of my previous c-section, I couldn't feel peace about it. Felt like a selfish decision for me to choose my "experience" over the safety of my baby (the statistics are not in favor of homebirth after c-sections). I'm hoping for another med-free quick delivery, but we'll see.

It's a personal decision, for sure, to RCS or VBAC, but for me, the VBAC was really great. Recovery was a lot easier (especially after my quick med-free birth). 
    Homeschool mama
    Married 7.28.07
    DS 9.16.10
    DD 8.3.12
    DD 3.1.15
    #4 EDD 8.7.17
  • Options
    Leni410Leni410 member
    edited January 2017
    Thank you for responding ladies! 

With DD I labored for 20 hours and she just got stuck. Poor kids head was messed up and I'm sure her being over 9 lbs didn't help. 

DH doesn't like the idea of a vbac and I pretty much agree. Like @holshmama I don't want to labor just to end up in a c-section anyway. 

Thoughts on waiting till your water breaks to have a csection?
  • Options
    After talking about it with my ob, I decided to have a RCS. My gut feeling is that VBAC is for mom who are really dedicated to it. I was just kind of feeling like I *should* go for it. Also I have a lot of feelings about my first delivery (34w, NICU, couldn't see him for 13 hours) that I think I was thinking that having a VBAC might *fix*. But I decided that I don't want to take the risk, I want to go with what I know, and also that I'm reeeeally not into pain lol. 
  • Options
    My decision to birth at the hospital and not at home was a lot like your decision, @Salsera2.0. I worked myself up so much, sure that I WOULD do the homebirth, but when I really got to the bottom of my feelings, I realized I wasn't really all in. I was just trying to push out my worries with fake assurance. So, I getcha.  :)
    Homeschool mama
    Married 7.28.07
    DS 9.16.10
    DD 8.3.12
    DD 3.1.15
    #4 EDD 8.7.17
  • Options
    Old but here it is @Kudlica27

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Hmm, appears I never commented on this thread somehow. I'm hoping for a VBAC. I'll be honest, I'm scared for both a VBAC or a RCS. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I actually just talked to the surgery scheduler today! It's getting real!