October 2017 Moms
Options

work from home moms

random question:

do you work off of a laptop or desk top? do you have a preference?

what type of computer do you use?
                                  DD1 - 10/11/13                 DD2 - 5/07/15

Pregnancy Ticker

May Siggy Challenge: Parenting Fails
Image result for parenting fails

Re: work from home moms

• Options
    Mine is a company issued desktop. I would prefer a laptop so I could be a bit more mobile in my workspace. Like for now I sit at my desk but if I had a laptop I would sit up in bed to work. 
  • Options
    i feel like it would almost be better for me to be forced to sit in the office. but then im like well 3 kids running around. maybe i need mobility.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I work mostly on my desktop because laptops annoy me lol. Plus I don't have games on my desktop, so I'm less likely to get distracted. It is hard with my kids home because my office is in the basement and we have a quad level house, so it's hard to keep tabs on them. Although the littlest usually comes and watches tv on the couch by my desk 
  • Options
    @sjohns908 i feel like desktops are just...better. same ish set up for us office in the basement but so is our playroom so maybe that would be for the best? why is this the hardest decision of my life? i am also swinging it so its an apple computer so i can make movies of the kids on it. and that i am sure will take hours of time, and i feel like doing that on a laptop will kill me slowly.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Heyyy this is me.

I have a desk, but it's in our bedroom. Mostly I work from the kitchen table, or I'll sprawl out in the comfy armchair with the laptop on my lap if I'm just doing busywork.

Oh just realized you probably meant desktop computer, not desk. I have a laptop, because it's company issued. My preference would be a nifty desktop with an surface pro for portable use (tablet/laptop in one), alas I do not determine that. 

• Options
    @carries2018 what are you doing now? Is this going to be a change for you?

• Options
    Laptop for me. Easier for me to move from my desk, to the dining room, to a coffee shop, to a client's office. I do miss having a big monitor though. 
  • Options
    i work from work on a desktop. i am posing a plan to the bosses (parents) to get me a computer to work from home so i can extend my maternity a bit, and possibly work a few days from home a week and give me more flexibility when they are sick. my "work" is pretty basic: emails and microsoft office. the world is pretty much my oyster when i go to propose this bc they know nothing of computers and i can lump this in as my christmas present.

i want an apple, even though i have no experience with them bc i want to double as my personal computer and all my videos of the kids are in apple format so i havent been able to successfully and easily make movies of them.

we do have 2 laptops and a tablet. but both laptops are end of life super slow. when i am at home playing around on the internet i am on my phone. so this will solely be used for work/movie making.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I work from a laptop. You could set up a monitor and docking station so you have the flexibility of laptop or desktop. 
  • Options
    ariz17ariz17 member
    I don't work from home but I would suggest a docking station and monitor if you're going with a laptop. I have a docking station at work and two monitors (i do a lot of copy paste, clicking, dragging, etc.) and its awesome! When I occasionally take my laptop home, its super easy all you have to do is press a button and then the next day you just put it back on the dock
  • Options
    I work from home and just have a simple Chromebook — it's great! They're super affordable and I use Google Drive for everything, which is also nice because I can easily access files on other devices. The only downside is sometimes I have to convert my files to Microsoft Office and check them on my husband's computer to make sure formatting looks okay. I used to have a MacBook Air that I also loved...until DS did this to it :( 
  • Options
    ariz17ariz17 member
    @lemonlyman noo!! RIP MacBook.
  • Options
    I think a laptop with an extra, large monitor is your best bet. When you need to do heavy lifting with multiple screens you can sit near the monitor. When you're just doing emails, you'll have the flexibility of moving about the house. That's what I've got going on and it works really well for us. 
    **April Siggy Challenge**Baby Animals**

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    i think you are right @PizzaMonster3 i dont travel much for work but i do on occasion it would be nice to have that option. macbook air is what i am looking at...seems people have a positive view towards that? anything i should know? i know nothing about apple products just doing this for the damn children and their home movies! (lovingly of course ;) )

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    ariz17 said:
    I don't work from home but I would suggest a docking station and monitor if you're going with a laptop. I have a docking station at work and two monitors (i do a lot of copy paste, clicking, dragging, etc.) and its awesome! When I occasionally take my laptop home, its super easy all you have to do is press a button and then the next day you just put it back on the dock
    I work from home here and there but if I worked from home regularly, I would definitely add a monitor to my laptop. There's some things that I just really need two screens for.

Kind of makes me wonder how I survived all the years with only one screen.
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ariz17ariz17 member
    @natleilynn Right! one screen just seems to not be enough lol. I am lucky!
  • Options
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately. For my "day job" I work in an office mostly and have a firm laptop to use when I'm at home. But I'm in desperate need of a new computer for my photography business. I use a laptop now, but I think a desktop with a huge monitor for editing would be awesome. I just don't know if I'll like being tied down to my desk (although, maybe I'd be more productive). A laptop is also nice for client meetings, traveling, etc. I think a laptop with a docking station and a huge monitor is ideal for me, but it'll be an apple and that kind of set up is not cheap. I have no idea.
    October 2017 June Siggy Challenge -- "You Had One Job!" 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    SaveSave
  • Options
    @beezeemarie if it helps....I did some freelance graphic stuff awhile back and all I had was a macbook. DH figured out a way to hook it up to an old TV screen and it worked like charm. We weren't ready to shell out the money for a screen until we decided I was going to go all in (which I decided not to). But it definitely made projects easier for awhile.
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @natleilynn yea, I will probably just replace my laptop for now. It's worked fine for me so far, I just love the idea of having a huge Apple monitor to work on. But the Apple desktops now have the computer built right into it, so I don't think you can just buy the monitor alone. I suppose I could look for an older/refurbished one.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    SaveSave
  • Options
    ok well i am def doing that then if @beezeemarie does. i basically just copy her life anyways. paint, computers. just write me a manual on how to live. kthnxbye

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    roo_babyroo_baby member
    edited June 2017
    @carries2018 I love my Macbook Air, but I intentionally bought last year's model because the newer models have less ports and requires extra pieces/dongles. I was able to get it brand new on eBay. Just something to consider, depending on how you plan to use it. 

ETA: Actually, I have the Macbook Pro 13". It weighs nothing compared to my old Fatty McMacbook so it's pretty much the same in my mind. 
  • Options
    @carries2018 not sure on the computers, but pretty confident that the paint choice was one of the best decisions you'll make. White paint 4 lyfe.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    SaveSave
  • Options
    I have a company-issued laptop hooked up to a monitor with keyboard, etc. I do all my work from my desk unless I'm traveling because I like the larger screen. Also, my work laptop sucks. It's huge and heavy and stupid. I use a MacBook for personal use. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @bluejeanbabi05 it is the best and the worst thing in the world.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I have really no valuable input other than I absolutely hate typing on a laptop. So maybe something to consider? When I did work, I would work from home occasionally on a company laptop and hated when I would have to do any extensive typing (I wrote a lot of training manuals). But maybe I just have super fat fingers or something. 

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Too late, but I work from home on a laptop and I have a monitor that I can hook into for a double screen when I want to physically sit in the office.  I get so spoiled with all the screen space that I work in my office more often than not, but I like the option to work from other places.

I hope you get good news from your parents!  Working from home at least a few days a week really does help with working mom balance.  I love it!  

• Options
    @TallMomma29 do you have a nanny or just make sure they are not setting your house on fire while you work from home?

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    TallMomma29TallMomma29 member
    edited June 2017
    @carries2018 I have a part time nanny!  It is impossible to do pretty much any work when home alone with my girls.  Me being on a laptop or on a phone call is some kind of bat signal for "completely lose your mind."  :#

• Options
    i hear ya we have a nanny that comes to work 2 days (work out of my parents house and my sister has 2 girls the same ages) but she leaves after nap. my mom is supposed to watch them in the afternoon but she is a little...flighty haha. so it is chaos. soOOoOOooo why not add another kid to the mix? haha. and also the nanny is leaving in September :'(

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @carries2018 not sure on the computers, but pretty confident that the paint choice was one of the best decisions you'll make. White paint 4 lyfe.
    Off the original topic but we went through an open house Sunday that was literally all white rooms. There's no way I could live like that, but on the bright side, it would make it insanely easy to paint each room whatever the heck you want lol
  • Options
    I own a MacBook Pro and I find that it works better for me than a desktop, although I've entertained the idea of having an iMac at home.  I have a home office, but all of my work is on-the-road, so having something portable is optimal for those coffee house stops in between appointments.  
    June 2017 Siggy Challenge:  "You had one job to do!"

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have a mac book pro. In addition to the apple software, i had the tech guy at my office install windows so the VPN connection to my desktop at the office was more compatible. I paid the extra $$ for more storage space. I couldn't be happier with it. I used to have an ASUS, which it was a great machine, but it had issues with speed.
    \

• Options
    @carries2018 has your dad gotten back to you yet?

• Options
    he agreed to new work computer, which is nothing to write home about bc we needed one anyways it is just going to me and mine will go to a part time employee. but he needs to think about my personal computer ::eye roll:: i know he will get it eventually just a matter of wearing him down with guilt ;)

Working from home is an option (well i need a computer for that dad!) but we need to discuss a little further and there is just so much going on right now it is hard to think about it at the moment. oh and 10 week maternity leave approved!

I decided on a Macbook Air with docking station/monitor. then i will use that to remote into my computer at work.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Mac desktop. I'm a freelance designer and work better at a station, plus I don't want clients thinking I'll work when I'm out of town. I could get way more done on a laptop but I also like designated work time, the rest of my day is playing with my daughter :)