July 2017 Moms

Belly Wraps

I apologize if this has already been asked. If it was, I wasn't able to find the thread. What are everyone's thoughts on wearing belly wraps postpartum? What brand is best? I have been doing a lot of research and I see a lot of mixed reviews. A woman I work with said she started wearing a wrap about a week after her C-section and she thinks it really improved her recovery. Just hoping for some insight from either FTMs who plan to do this or Moms who did do this.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Belly Wraps

• I didn't the first time and probably won't this time....but I had no problem bouncing back the last time. I just can't imagine wearing a wrap in the middle of the summer with hormonal hot flashes and humidity. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married 8 years - Aug 23/08
    DD - 6 years old, March 17/11
    #2 due July 19th! (It's a boy!)
  • I would really like to get one, but I just looked the other day and they seem REALLY uncomfortable and they don't appear to come in my size. What the heck, not all pregnant people are skinny!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Loading the player...
  • I wore mine twice, but it was so uncomfortable that I stopped.  I am sure there are better ones out there.  I think mine was from Target.  I'd read some reviews before buying one, though.
  • I've heard it's an absolute necessity for C-section recovery. I don't expect to have a CS but I've considered getting one. I just think during those first few weeks I won't have the willpower to wear it regularly. They're not cheap either. I didn't get one last time, and I have no idea if it would have made a difference or not. 
  • I was given a version of a wrap from the hospital after both of my c-sections and to be honest, they were ill-fitting and I stopped wearing them shortly after I got home. I can see the benefit of having one, pressure around my mid-section was super helpful in the event of sneezing or coughing.  If anyone has a suggestion of a good one, I'd be super interested in purchasing to give it try.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I know @mrsla0512 swears by the one she used after her previous CS. I am sure she can chime in and give you a recommendation. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I had the Abdomend c-section recovery support band. In my opinion it is a necessity, it helped recovery so so so much. I didn't have it for my first until about 2 weeks after. I was already recovering by then but I took it with my second and used it the second day. I'll be taking it this time too. It's super soft and has an extra support strap. The only thing is you have to lay down to put it on but it's worth it. 

I bought it off of Amazon. 
  • Has anyone used the Bellefit corset? Wondering if it's worth the extra money or if I should just go with Abdomend instead... 
  • XathXath member
    I used the hospital issued wrap with my 3 cesareans and it was necessary.  Yes, it was uncomfortable, but it was really obvious after taking it off that I needed to be wearing it.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @Xath that's why I got the one I did, when I was reading reviews more of them said it was comfortable than uncomfortable. To me it is, I absolutely love it. 
  • Has anyone used the Bellefit corset? Wondering if it's worth the extra money or if I should just go with Abdomend instead... 
    I looked at that one too, but doesn't that seem really impractical with bleeding and giant pads? I don't get it...
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited June 2017
    I needed answers to this! Don't know if I'm getting a c section but I am interested in getting a wrap/corset. My concerns are if 
    a) do they even work 
    b) are they even safe..? 

I havent looked any particular ones so I will be checking in here for reccomendations. 

Edited to add: I can't see myself wearing the bellefit with the giant pads and chub rub. 
  • ECarson84ECarson84 member
    edited June 2017
    I used the bellefit after my first and plan to order another for this time just to have an extra while one is being washed.  Sure it was uncomfortable but I think it was amazingly helpful rebounding post pregnancy. I wore it more each day in the first week after delivering eventually making it to 8 hours per day then more from there. In the time I wasn't wearing it in the first couple weeks I wore a belly bandit from target that was much more comfortable but less effective IMO. I'm sure I'll do the same this time. I didn't have a problem with the crotch of the bellefit despite a forceps delivery resulting in 20+ stitches. Expensive but beyond worth it for me. It was important to me to feel like myself again and this did the trick. 

Edited bc autocorrect is not my friend
  • @ECarson84 could you please share a link? And how helpful do you think it was.. and how soon did you wear it?
  • ECarson84ECarson84 member
    edited June 2017
    @BusyZee here you go. https://www.bellefit.com

Spend time reading about sizing. I got a small for my first. I'm 5'8 started at 145 and gained around 32 pounds and used a small which fit but just barely in the beginning then more comfortable as time went on. I have the same situation going this time in terms of weight gain but more booty this time so I'll probably order a medium then work my way down to a small. Guess that's the pro/con of more squats this pregnancy. I used the dual closure girdle. Most versatile. 

I used the target wrap hours after delivering. I think I finally put on the bellefit with husbands help maybe 3 or 4 days PP. Only wore a few hours those first few days then back to the target wrap. Having a bigger size this time may mean I don't use the target one this time. The site recommends getting 2 sizes for most but I didn't want to spend the money all at once. Buying the next size up now seems easier to justify somehow...

I don't have another pregnancy to compare to but after the first week(ish) I only had 10 pounds to go getting back to old weight which I think was due in part to the corset helping eliminate water. Also fit into pre pregnancy jeans that first week.
  • I wore the bellefit after getting my c-section, and yes it was necessary. It was uncomfortable and annoying, especially having to go to the bathroom and when I was changing my pad, even though it has clasps in the crotch area, it's just cumbersome to deal with. If I unhooked the crotch part to change my pad, sometimes the wrap would roll up and land right where my c-section scar was and that would hurt like heck! So I started just taking it off when I went to the bathroom to avoid that situation, but then had to deal with unhooking the million hooks and then shimmying back into it and hooking it all back each time. It's annoying, but I think it completely helped my c-section recovery. 
  • mrsla0512mrsla0512 member
    edited June 2017
    I am going to post pictures of my wrap. It's not hard to use the restroom with it on either, and no crotch piece. 

Eta: adding pictures 

• CejimlCejiml member
    I apologize if this has already been asked. If it was, I wasn't able to find the thread. What are everyone's thoughts on wearing belly wraps postpartum? What brand is best? I have been doing a lot of research and I see a lot of mixed reviews. A woman I work with said she started wearing a wrap about a week after her C-section and she thinks it really improved her recovery. Just hoping for some insight from either FTMs who plan to do this or Moms who did do this.
    I have the Belly Bandit Bamboo and love it. Used it with both of my previous csections and will again. I used the hospital binder for the first week or so then switched to the bandit. Well worth the $ if it's a csection. The support over the incision is a must! 
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited June 2017
    @ECarson84 thankyou very, very much  <3 I'm going to look into these tonight! Should I buy according to my prepregnancy size? I usually weigh around 108- 112 but I'm 5-3 but fairly curvy and wide hips. I've also gained 30 lbs as of now. 
  • The bellyband is so important - I am not planning to buy much for this second birth, but a bellyband is definitely at the top of my list. I used the hospital band last time and definitely needed it but feel like getting a better one would've been worth it. 

As a csection mom, it was more uncomfortable not wearing it.... and just to add, moms on my bmb now on their third kid who deliver vaginally also wear the bands because it may be helpful in preventing diastasis recti (but a physical therapist or doctor can correct me if I'm wrong there) 

• **dirty lurker who lurks** 

@mrsla0512 I'm having a RCS in August and I have been reading all the boards' c-section posts looking at the support belts everyone was using  and I never found anything I was actually excited about until you shared about the one you have. Looked it up on amazon and I am probably going to be getting it. So thanks! 
  • @BusyZee there's a calculator to get to a recommended size and size chart but after reading a bunch of reviews I decided the recommended size was probably only going to work for the first week or 2 at which point I'd need a smaller size. I've heard their customer service can be really helpful with sizing but never called. I know they also have extenders you can get to help a smaller size work for you early on. I used the belly bandit instead until I could fit which didn't take long at all. They give pretty wicked panty line so having some booty could probably justify a bigger size if you're in between. I just dealt with it last time bc I wanted the stomach part nice and tight. Wore for 8 weeks while on leave then stopped when I went back to work.
  • @Cejiml Thank you! I actually decided to go with this one. I had store credit at babie r us to use and they carry this brand so that's what I went with. I used the online calculator to figure out my size but read that sometimes people size out of them. Did you experience that??
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • mars8kmars8k member

I didn’t have a CS but I noticed my belly drooping postpartum so I ordered a Velcro belly wrap after minimal research and it really helped, I took it off when I hoped for a long nap and I would notice that my belly always looked a little firmer when taking it off vs after waking up without it. I’ll definitely get 1 this time as well. the down side of the one I got was that it stunk! It had a bad plastic smell that got worse with sweat (which you do a lot of postpartum)

I also got one that’s more like an under the boob tube top, It was way too tight and felt like it was rearranging my organs!