white spots on medela tubing?

brit0725brit0725 member
edited June 2017 in June 2016 Moms
Has anyone had this happen to them?

Re: white spots on medela tubing?

• Options
    Tawny87Tawny87 member
    edited June 2017
    If it is an open system on a pump in style as opposed to a closed system such as a free style or a symphony I would assume mold. My suggestion would be to call Medela support and see what they have to say. Good luck!
  • Options
    I get white spots that pop up after I've sanitized the tubes by boiling. I think it's the minerals in the water around here. Usually they disappear if I rinse them out again with bottled water. Definitely would check for mold though if they're cropping up between times that they come in direct contact with water.
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I get white water spots on mine. If you bought through a medical supply company check up with them. Mine just sent me anew set of parts, including new tubes completely covered by insurance.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    It is an open system...pump in style advanced.  Never washed tubing.  Called medela months ago and they told me mold is black and that white spots were water staining (condensation/water backing up).  I called
    them again the other day and they sent me new tubing for "peace of mind."  I let my pump run for a few minutes when I am done pumping and I use the medela wipes between pumps...and always wait well beyond ten minutes.
  • Options
    That looks like dry BM to me
  • Options
    bankssl1 said:
    I was thinking the same. I always had white spots in my Medela tubing after I pumped.
  • Options
    bankssl1 said:
    I was thinking the same. I always had white spots in my Medela tubing after I pumped.
    Me too, also when I spilled a little (which was frequent) this is what it looked like
  • Options
    brit0725brit0725 member
    edited June 2017
    Thanks!  Yours looked the same?  I can't find any other images like
    this!  Are you certain yours was from
    spilling milk?  Did you use this tubing?
  • Options
    michi921 said:
    Thanks!  Yours looked the same?  I can't find any other images like
    this!  Are you certain yours was from
    spilling milk?  Did you use this tubing?
    I used the Medela "Pump-in-Style Advanced Breast Pump with On-the-Go Tote" so I imagine the tubing was the same. I'm 99% sure that it was just a mix of milk and condensation and it often dried to look like what you're seeing. I just did my best to wash out the tubing and let it dry. It would still get water spots even after I did that though. 
  • Options
    Looks like milk 
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Upon seeing a picture I concur that that looks like milk.