June 2017 Moms
Options

Sibling gift?

Stm: Did you get #1 a gift from #2 (or any subsequent numbers)? 
If you did, what did you get?

Re: Sibling gift?

• Options
    We bought my DS (4) something from the baby. It's just a toy he has been wanting, some kind of Captain America shield/ nerf gun. 
    Married my best friend May 24, 2008
    BFP #1 9/1/11, EDD 5/15/12, Missed M/C at 9w4d, discovered at 11w3d, D&C 11/2/11
    BFP #2 6/20/12, Baby Boy born 3/2/13
    BFP #3 October 2016, EDD 6/11/17
  • Options
    I think this is a good idea though I've not done it before. My DS (2.5) probably wouldn't really understand that it was from baby though. Hmm I'll have to ponder this and read some other people's ideas :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I plan to get either a book, or stuffed animal.
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • Options
    We went a little bit all out since she will be stuck at the hospital with us while we're there. We got her-2 coloring books, new markers, silly putty, doll clothes for her favorite doll, special snacks, a digi-bird, and a little cheapy craft kit for her to do with her dad. and the exchange present is build a bears. She made one for him with a message from her recorded inside it and I made one from her with a message from me. Except for the build a bears and doll clothes everything was under $5, just kind of busy toys. She will be most excited for the build a bear, she's been eyeing it for months. 
  • Options
    I bought my son (2.5) a Thomas train set ages ago while it was on super sale as a gift from the baby to him. We also bought him play-mags from us as a gift for about a week in for being a "good big brother and helper". Hoping it works in 2 ways: encouraging bonding between the two and providing us with a few minutes of building time when we might need to focus on the baby! Fingers crossed, as I'm still gestating and who knows with BB#2 will get here at this point?
  • Options
    XathXath member
    I keep picking up things here and there that I mean to be sibling gifts because I keep forgetting I already did.  As a result, this baby might give them more than they got for Christmas (or I'm just that far ahead on my holiday shopping.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm so glad this thread was posted bc I've been meaning to order a sand and water table for DS and completely forgot. To be honest, it's more of a way to keep him busy than a thoughtful gift from the baby, though. Our deck is nice and shady in the morning, I figure it's a good way for us all to be outside but out of the summer sun.
  • Options
    I'm not trying to sound snarky, but I don't think I get it. Is this a gift FROM the newborn baby?? Or a gift from mommy and daddy? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married 7/11/09 TTC #1 Since 05/10
    BFP #1 09/20/10 Natural m/c 10/05/10
    BFP! #2 04/21/11... Beta 16 DPO: 437, 18 DPO:1446 Ultrasound 6w6d TWINS!
    Annabel & Sophia Born 11/28/11 at 34w6d
    BFP #3 10/4/16... Beta 13 DPO: 145, 15 DPO: 367 12/1/16 It's a GIRL!

• Options
    I'm not trying to sound snarky, but I don't think I get it. Is this a gift FROM the newborn baby?? Or a gift from mommy and daddy? 
    A gift from new baby to siblings to kinda break the ice.
  • Options
    Mine will be from DH and I.
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • Options
    @Waiting4Fred Ours is from us, although I doubt DS will really care who is it from. Like I said, it's more to keep him busy than anything, I do worry how he will handle not having all the attention at first. 

In terms of a sibling gift, I had actually pictured the reverse of what everyone seems to be doing...DS bringing LO a little gift. Like a lovey and balloon or something.
  • Options
    yeah I'm not sure I can pull off the "It's from baby!" thing because I'm sure I would get a huge side eye from my too smart 4 yr old, BUT I'm thinking it'll be a "congrats on becoming a big brother" gift.  
  • Options
    It's mostly from me since it has my voice inside and it's for helping her to get through her first night away from me. I'm thinking of it as a congrats on being a big sister day. But then she made one specifically for him too. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Waiting4Fred This gift bag will be from the Mr and I as a "Congrats on becoming a Big Sister" gift. DD also picked out a stuffed animal to give the baby. It will be an exchange of gifts, kind of. 

We got a Candyland game on super sale at Target and some 4th of July themed things from the $1 bins. Also, picked up some of those caplets that you drop in water and they expand to become some different shape. Basically it's a bunch of stuff to keep DD occupied during new baby's naps

• Options
    Whenever I travel away from my boys, I leave a Ziploc bag for each night that I plan to be gone.  I'll put something small like a toy car or plane in the bag along with a love note.  My four year old likes jokes so I usually write a little joke on a postcard for him.  I'll do this again for the nights I'm in the hospital, but it won't be as a sibling gift.  I don't think they'd understand the concept of a gift from the baby.

• Options
    I put together a big sister bag with a teddy bear, new cup, coloring book, markers, t-shirt, etc

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I got DD (21 months) a new baby doll but she wants nothing to do with it. I think she's on baby overload, but an older child might have liked the idea of taking care of their baby while mommy takes care of hers. Some family members got her gifts like a Mr Potato Head and Little People and she's loved those and they've been great busy toys when I'm occupied with baby.
  • Options
    mombodmombod member
    Plan for the day is to make up a little present for DS from mommy and daddy. I put a few things away from his birthday so he has new toys but I want to get him a baby doll.
  • Options
    We aren't doing a sibling gift, exactly, for DD (19m). We did end up getting her a few new toys/books that will keep her busy while I'm nursing the baby :smile:
  • Options
    DD's second bday is 5 days after I'm due and her grandparents regularly get out of hand with gifts, so she won't need anything from the new baby.  The fact that Nana and Pop are staying with her will be exciting enough!  
  • Options
    Hubby and I were actually thinking about giving our 8 year old a special day soon. Sort of a last hoorah before ending his reign as only child. Not sure exactly what to do yet but we better do it soon! Not sure about gifts only because he has enough junk and his birthday is next month.
  • Options
    @flyingncmama I love that! I'm definitely stealing that idea next time I travel for work!

We gave DS (2-1/2) three books from baby. I don't really think he understood they were from his brother, though.
  • Options
    I don't think I got DD anything when I had DS1. With that being said, they might get suckers or something so i don't have to take more toys home to trip over. 
  • Options
    We bought DS a water table for the backyard. It doesn't matter to him who it's from though; at 13 months he has no idea what's going on! It's just something to help entertain him on long hot summer afternoons when I'm dealing with a newborn or while baby is sleeping.
  • Options
    My twins are headed to Pre-K in August so I did a practical gift that doesn't necessarily have to be from their baby brother or DH/I but more to help make them feel included in the excitement.  We did super hero backpacks... and I know they are going to be over the moon and actually needed them... win-win.
  • Options
    We got our 2 year old a kindle kids edition tablet from the baby in the hopes that it'll be a special fun thing for him to play with when we need to focus on baby.  He is "getting" the baby a toy as well.