February 2017 Moms

June randoms

Re: June randoms

• @kswiger06 Her hair is so pretty! She is so thoughtful for wanting to donate her hair! I've donated mine twice and was nervous both times, but I always tell myself it will grow back :)
  • Lol @marriedhamstermom I do the same thing with my hair! It's been growing out for over a year now, and I'm at the point where I'm ok with it, but I know by the end of the year it'll be cutting the chop lol. 

Do you ever do swing naps? When Austin has a bad night sleeping, I give him a chance to nap in his swing because he'll sleep really good in it. I try to not do that most days, so his naps are super short 30 minute naps, but when he's in the swing he'll sleep for hours if I let him. I'm sure not everyone wants to do that, but it lets him get good rest so he's not grumpy all day, and sometimes I'll nap myself lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Okay, so, we don't do BitchFests or Twatwaffles anymore, so I'll just put this here:

I just found out my school has "elected to not renew my contract" for next year. I'm sure this decision has absolutely nothing to do with the fact I recently reminded them I have a functioning uterus. 

So my maternity leave just got a whole lot longer, guys. Fuck. 
  • That sucks @poetryandoceans! You are in Canada, correct? I'm not sure of the laws there but I think here in the States it's illegal to do something like that (anyone that may know employment laws please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!). Did they give any reasoning as to why? The whole situation just blows, I'm so sorry!
  • @ColeBug89 Unfortunately, I teach at a private school and wasn't on a continuing contract. My contracts are always up at the end of every year, and there's always been a bit of uncertainty about the following September. There's absolutely nothing *legally provable* about what went down, so I can't do anything about it. The reasoning is just "whoops, we don't have the numbers, pay no attention to this other person who is starting in an extremely similar position to the one we just realized we 'don't have the enrolment for'"

I've suspected for the last 5 years that the reason I hadn't been converted to a continuing contract had to do with my being a woman in her late twenties (now early 30s) with a recent marriage, and this does nothing to help those suspicions. But they've always had the plausible deniability of "well, our enrolment numbers determine everything we do"
  • @poetryandoceans That sucks!  Sorry you have this stressor over you now. Hopefully you can find a new position before the end of summer. 

@kswiger06 That is so sweet of your daughter!  My DD has donated once and it was a great experience for her. She recently chopped off 8 inches and I asked her about 100 times if she was sure. I'm not super creative when it comes to hairstyles for her (or myself for that matter) so it's a fun change for her to get a chin length bob every year or so. It's funny that I'm not sentimental about my own hair, but I get a little teary over hers. DD was born with a ton of hair but our little dude is still pretty bald at 5.5 months. 
  • @poetryandoceans That really sucks! I'm sorry. I'm pretty sure I was passed on promotion for the last 6 months because of my pregnancy, since I just returned and immediately got the promotion. I hate how even though there are some laws to protect mothers, companies know how to always work around them. Hopefully you can find something before the next school year starts! 
  • @kswiger06 I haven't tried swing naps, maybe I should. I usually only put him in his swing if I'm getting ready in the morning. Sometimes he falls asleep but usually not. If he's really tired though I bet he would! 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• @poetryandoceans I am definitely interested in Sleep Sense! I am not a fan of the idea of straight CIO (I don't think I would have the resolve not to intervene), so I have been looking into the Ferber method and Sleep Sense. I'd love to hear more about your experience - I'll DM you!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @marriedhamstermom and @homemake I'm the same way with growing out hair. I just chopped off a good 5 inches to get it above shoulder length after my LO buried his hands in my hair and made messy wet fists when he was getting out of the tub about a month ago. I needed my husband to help me get unstuck...
  • @poetryandoceans that really stinks about your job. I hope you can find something else before the next school year starts. It's sad that companies of any kind can work around the system. Sometimes it seems like that's all everyone does nowadays, beat the system.

@chef'swife I keep asking my daughter if she's sure too. She doesn't remember her hair ever being short, so I do think she'll miss it once it's gone, but her hair grows super fast. I only almost cried one time when I got my hair cut, but I know I'm going to cry when hers get the chop. Lol

@marriedhamstermom I know some people are super against naps in the swing, but some days it's what is best for us. Plus I can *somewhat* control naps if needed lol.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Question! Does anyone know what the heigjt and/or weight requirements are for stroller's generally? We have the Graco fast action jogging system (we aren't jogging yet, LO is too young) and I want to put him in the stroller part instead of in his car seat. We have an hour drive home and if I need to walk the dog right after, I'd rather him stretch out not in the car seat. But I can't find any height requirements anywhere!
  • @jlellis603 I'm not sure about height/weight requirements, but my DD sits in the stroller portion of her Graco with no problems. We started doing this instead of her car seat around 5 months (she weights about 13-14 lbs). For us, it was more about body control. She sits very well with support and can keep herself upright when she's strapped in.
  • Thanks @ColeBug89! I was kind of hoping we'd be able to just try and see since he sits pretty well supported as well. He's very tall for his age so he needs some extra space 
  • Question! Does anyone know what the heigjt and/or weight requirements are for stroller's generally? We have the Graco fast action jogging system (we aren't jogging yet, LO is too young) and I want to put him in the stroller part instead of in his car seat. We have an hour drive home and if I need to walk the dog right after, I'd rather him stretch out not in the car seat. But I can't find any height requirements anywhere!
    Does it recline? I've put baby in the stroller and just reclined it a bunch and made sure the harness was secure. I think as long as he's not flopping around and his head and neck are okay then he's okay? 
  • @jlellis603 we have the bob jogging stroller but it says they can be in the main stroller at 8 weeks but to get them extra head/neck support if they can't hold their head up. So I think it's more about head control then weight/size. Not that you asked but if anyone is curious our stroller says no jogging until 8 months but I've also read to wait 1 yr for spine development. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• I've put our LO in our stroller as well, but i actually didnt walk him anywhere, it was just because it was too hot in his carseat. I just made sure everything was adjusted right for him, and i reclined it into all the positions to see what looked best for him. If yours hooks up with your carseat I'd assume it reclines, so I'd try it and see how it goes. If you have one of those head support things for the car seat, maybe take it with you so if need to you can just set it under his head to help keep it from sliding around? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We went straight to a convertible car seat this time, because I never used our infant seat as a carrier the first time around. I've put Harrison in our jogging and regular stroller in a reclined position since he was a few weeks out of the NICU. I always made sure he was snug in the harness and didn't go anywhere that would be a bumpy ride.  Now, he has good head and torso control( he can almost pull himself to sitting from reclined position) so he prefers to sit up more in the stroller. 
  • Oh wow thanks everyone! I'm happy to hear that we will probably be good to go with this. I didn't even think to put it all the way to recline, thanks!
  • I literally changed from the carrycot to the pushchair part of our pram last night. Cora will be 5 months next week & she has good neck control & likes to see whats going on when were out & about so i felt she was ready. There are 3 different angle settings for reclining or sitting up.

• @jlellis603 we've also switched to using the regular stroller. Sam is growing like a weed and looks so smushed up and uncomfortable in the car seat. I'm actually keeping an eye out for convertibles already and will pounce when I see a good Amazon deal.

@poetryandoceans that is so infuriating. I'm really, really sorry. How is the market for teaching positions in your area?
  • @Xstatic3333 The teaching market is awful here. The main reason I've been at a private school is because the public system hasn't even been accepting subs for a long time. They recently opened up the sub list for applications, but I was about a million years pregnant at the time, so I would have had to go to the interview massively pregnant and, if successful, say "Thanks, but I'm also not going to be available for calls for the next 6 months. That cool?" I'm also pretty ambivalent about subbing with a baby at home. I have no idea how to make that childcare situation work. I'd have to pay for care every day just in case I get called... 

So yeah, I'm pissed.

@jlellis603 Your stroller might have an infant head support attachment, or you could do like @kswiger06 suggests and use the head support from your carseat. We put LO in the stroller at about 3.5 months, and we just used the infant adapter. Right now he's kinda in between needing the adapter and being ready to just be in the stroller, it's an awkward phase. 
  • @kswiger06 Her hair is so cute!  Also, she looks so much like your profile pic!
  • Oh thank you!! I never knew who I thought she looked like, but when I look at our pics right there next to each other I can see it! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love her hair @kswiger06! Both long and short hair suit her very well!
  • Awww it looks so cute @Kswiger06! What generous girl to donate all that. 
  • I love her new look @kswiger06! & such a kind & generous thing to donate her hair!
  • @kswiger06 - she looks just like you! her hair looks so cute and what a sweetie to donate her hair.....I can't think of any other girl her age who is so generous and thoughtful

• Hi guys! Wow, I don't think I've been here since probably October! The last few months of my pregnancy I was so busy and focused on other things, and totally forgot to keep stopping by! Still catching up on the various boards, but looks like we have lots of beautiful little F17 babies! Mine actually came a couple weeks early and ended up being a J17 baby :smile:
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Senna discovered that she loves high pitched sounds. Now when she is on her play gym it sounds like a bunch of feral cats in heat.
  • @SawyerRichardson Ella likes high pitched sounds as well! When she first started babbling, I would mimick her sounds to encourage her to continue, but I can't get my voice high enough to mimick her when she's doing her squeals haha
  • @SawyerRichardson - my daughter does the same thing lol. She gets all excited either playing with us or her toys and lets out this high pitched squeal and then she also does a low pitched grunt sometimes too with tons of other noises in between. My voice does not have that range of octaves so I can't always mimick lol

• Anyone doing anything fun for Father's Day? My husband's band is playing a festival tomorrow, so I made LO a onesie that says "I'm with the band" with Papa's band logo on it. I'm really torn between putting up a picture for the AWs, and the fact that it would be incredibly doxing... 

Anyway, anyone else have any cute plans?
  • @poetryandoceans that sounds super cute! We don't exactly have anything planned, but I ordered the book "Just Me and My Dad" by Mercer Mayer for DD to "give" H.

Our wedding anniversary is on the 20th, so I'm trying to separate the occasions. DH has been wanting a Snack Crate to try so I ordered him one for his anniversary gift. Each month they send you snacks from a different county. His first one will be snacks from the U.K. His options for this month were the U.K. or Korea. I "hypothetically" asked him which he would prefer and he picked U.K. lol.
  • My husband works this weekend so we won't be doing much. I'm going to try to sneak out and buy him a lemon tree or lemon bush "from the kids" because he's been wanting one for a long time. We will do a cookout next weekend with my side.

@ColeBug89 that snack box sounds fun!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Were not doing anything special, going to my parents tomorrow for the night & probably out for lunch on sunday & drive round the coast on the way home cause its pretty.

• @ColeBug89 our anniversary is the 20th too! And to be honest, I kind of forgot to get H anything for it... I got him one of those Night Sky posters (the ads are ALL over FB) for LO's birthdate for Father's Day, and I figure I'll make him brunch, but I'm not sure what to do about our anniversary. We're going to go out to dinner sans baby, but I haven't actually gotten him a gift...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kswiger06 said:
    My husband works this weekend so we won't be doing much. I'm going to try to sneak out and buy him a lemon tree or lemon bush "from the kids" because he's been wanting one for a long time. We will do a cookout next weekend with my side.

@ColeBug89 that snack box sounds fun!
    OMG that's a great idea, I may steal it! Though we live in the PNW, so we'd have to keep a lemon tree inside I guess...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @madamerwin We will probably go to dinner sans baby as well...last year was our 1st year anniversary so we went all out and got tickets to a concert, but honestly,  if he hadn't mentioned wanting the Snack Crate I probably wouldn't have gotten him anything. *FFFC* I also partially got the Crate so I could try some snacks too since we are both foodies lol