June 2017 Moms

Nursing/postpartum bras/clothing

I thought about just including this with the maternity clothing thread, but decided it could use it's own thread.

Is anyone looking into nursing clothing and/or bras yet?

Where do you stand on the wire/no wire debate? 

Thoughts on other postpartum-specific things such as girdles? 

Favorite brands/stores? 

Re: Nursing/postpartum bras/clothing

• Is anyone looking into nursing clothing and/or bras yet? I tried on almost every size of Target nursing bras a few weeks ago and nothing fit. It was either too big or too small.  I'm really leery about ordering online because brands are so all over the place and I have no idea what size I'm going to wear. 

Where do you stand on the wire/no wire debate? There's no way I'm wearing wire-free bras. I hate wire-free bras because I have yet to find any that I feel truly support me. 

Thoughts on other postpartum-specific things such as girdles? I like the idea of a girdle and will likely get one. Haven't done enough research on specific ones yet.

Favorite brands/stores? Some of the tops at milknursingwear.com are super cute! Kinda spendy though.

• Is anyone looking into nursing clothing and/or bras yet?
    I I usually wear a nursing tank top and cardigan or button up that's easy to nurse in for the first few months.  I don't like to wear a bra unless really necessary until 4ish months.  That's just how I'm comfortable. I don't have huge boobs and I don't feel the need for anymore support than a nursing tank. 

since I live in nursing tanks I'll say no wire for 3-4 months then I wear wire nursing bras and usually a nursing tank.  I like my tummy covered when I nurse or pump.  The no wire bras always make me look funny. 

I got one at the hospital with my first and didn't wear it much. I'd like a belly bandit but not sure I'll pull the trigger and buy one. 

Favorite brands/stores? 

Most of my stuff is from target but I found some lightly lined cup nursing tanks at motherhood I'm going to try this time around. 
  • Loading the player...
    I haven't looked much this time because I didn't use much last time. I like nursing tanks, and bras, but other than that, I usually just wore tops that were easy to either pull up, or down. I plan to do the same again.

I never found a good nursing tank that I liked, so I ended up finding a Pinterest tutorial to convert a regular cami  into a nursing tank, and that worked well for me. 
    I liked wired. A lot of people with say that wires can clog this milk ducts, and I'm sure that has happened to many, but a properly fitting bra shouldn't be an issue. I'd recommend being fitted after your milk comes in if that is a big concern.
    Meh. Comfort is much more important to me than appearances in the early days. I lived in a cami and stretchy sports bra if I was just at home.
    Favorite brands/stores? 
    I like Anita nursing bras. They are comfortable, durable and make the weird sizes I need. I have Amazon Prime, so I get free returns/exchanges and two day shipping. That came in very handy when I didn't want to drag a tiny baby to go bra shopping, but was unsure of my new size.

Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17

Yup, I need to get my tanks back from my cousin. We share maternity clothes. 

No wire at home. Yes wire when out and about. 

I used the belly bandit last time. I'm going to wear it more this time. I didn't know you were supposed to wear it 24/7 last time. 

Favorite brands/stores? 

Target
    I have 2 tanks from motherhood from last time. I might get another one or two. I also LOVE these for around the house. A little support but super comfortable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002K6F79G/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490265181&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=lamaze+sleep+nursing+bra

No wire for the first few months. After that it doesn't bother me as much. 

Never used them..

Favorite brands/stores? 
    Motherhood, Target and Amazon are my go to places. 

Mom to Madison- 5 and Lillian 2....and now surprise baby #3!
  • Highly recommend the stretchy wire free nursing bras from Target for the beginning, then you can wear any stretchy tank and any open shirt. 

Nordstrom has a nice selection of nursing bras if you're looking to invest in something quality after your size levels out. I think they offer free shipping and returns if you need to try multiple sizes/brands.
  • Is anyone looking into nursing clothing and/or bras yet? definitly need to do this bc the ones i used last time are worn out. I prefer a nursing bra with a regular tank top and a loose shirt or cardigan over. I like my back and belly covered when nursing in public. Nursing covers didnt work great for us bc the baby didnt like it and I felt awkward trying to manage. The two shirt method provides modesty without inconvenience.

Where do you stand on the wire/no wire debate? no wire until milk is established and size is settled (6 weeks or so). Then wire while out and no wire/sports bras at home.

Thoughts on other postpartum-specific things such as girdles? didnt use it last time and dont really plan to this time. My body is going to be squishy for awhile or maybe forever but Im not going to try to force something and be uncomfortable. (Im talking wraps and the suck in stuff, not ones made for support say after a csection)

Favorite brands/stores? i just tried a few until I found ones that worked
  • XathXath member

I have a bunch from prior pregnancies.  Nursing sleepwear is awesome; I don't know that regular nursing clothes were ever worth it for me.  I found I prefer a suite of nursing tanks and looser tops that I could just lift when needed.  

Ugh.  I like the concept of no-wire bras, but I never really found one that works (aside from sleep bras; get some wireless sleep bras). I think they're great if you have a small enough bust.  The important thing is to get a well-fitting (go to a professional shop) bra whether it's wireless or not.  I haven't found a bra I truly love, but Anita bras are at least comfortable. 

The hospital gave me a wide elastic binder after my cesarean and it was wonderful.  Without the binder sneezes were brutal; with it they were bearable. I got one of those "shrinkx hips" bands at one point, but I found it to be uncomfortable and didn't wear it enough to see if it worked or not.  

Favorite brands/stores? 

Not especially.  I enjoy the Motherhood sleepwear I have, and I wear it even when not nursing because it's super comfortable.  Per the above, I never loved regular nursing tops.  I prefer the tanks with a regular shirt.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    I have 3 nursing tanks from friends and 4 nursing bras. One is from a friend that I don't like very much, one i LOVE from Target and the other 2 I got one band size up so they are still a little big but should be fine postpartum
    I stopped wearing wire like 2 months ago! I love it!
    I probably won't use anything. 
    Favorite brands/stores? 
    target! Gillian and O'Malley or whatever it is. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • tmrusselltmrussell member
    edited March 2017
    My must haves for postpartum are nice new jammies and nightgowns and a robe, nursing bras and also pumping bra.

I just bought 4 bras online from Kohl's. I also bought one nursing night gown I plan to take to the hospital that came with a robe.

Where do you stand on the wire/no wire debate? No wire now through until I can go back to normal bras. IMO it's much easier and comfortable to wear stretchy wire-free bras at this point plus not knowing the size the stretchy kind are helpful.

Thoughts on other postpartum-specific things such as girdles? I didn't use any of these things last time just new nice pajamas. I didn't get dressed for the first week or so just stayed in jammies and comfy clothes.

Favorite brands/stores? I ordered from Kohl's because there's one super close and I can return if needed.
    Edit- posted before I finished my comments

• Is anyone looking into nursing clothing and/or bras yet? I have started wearing no wire nursing bras because my boobs were popping out of my regular bra and cutting into me. 

Where do you stand on the wire/no wire debate? I found some good no wire bras at target that have enough support for me ( I am normally a small C so I don't need a lot of support). When I go back to work I will splurge on a nice wire pumping bra. It makes all the difference! 

Thoughts on other postpartum-specific things such as girdles? I have one from last time. I wore pretty much everyday and it helped my belly go back down pretty quickly. I will probably wear it again. 

Favorite brands/stores? I am planning on getting a nice pumping bra from the dairy fairy that I can wear all day to make pumping easy.

My other nursing tanks and bras came from target. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
    I would advise only buying a select few bras right now... My nursing bra size does not correlate with my normal size, so there's no way to really try them on now. You'll also be shoving nursing pads in there too, so you'll need some clearance for that. I like the shirts that have the cross-v neck in the front.  I'm not sure what that style is, but I don't like having my belly hang out, so that way I can stay a bit more covered when nursing. 

Normally I would only wear a wire bra.  While nursing, I am one of the people that gets plugged-ducts from them, so I can only go wire-free.  

I didn't do any type of girdle or support underwear last time, but I am going to give it a try this time.  With the C-section, I didn't want ANYTHING touching my stomach.  Though, then I get the scar tissue, overhang issue, so I might try this time. 

Favorite brands/stores? 
    My favorite nursing bras were actually from Macy's.  I never found one that worked for me at Target.  They just didn't fit me well. I go to baby consignment shops sometimes to pick up nursing tops because they are super cheap there.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • Is anyone looking into nursing clothing and/or bras yet? Nursing bras: I tried on the largest cup size at motherhood yesterday (G) and an XL there an neither fit- I have NO idea what I am going to do.

Where do you stand on the wire/no wire debate? I am up to an H cup from DDD (ridiculousness) and tried both wire and non wire since. I am suck with wire - no wire bras don't give me any support. 

Thoughts on other postpartum-specific things such as girdles? FTM, so no idea

Favorite brands/stores? Open to suggestions for large chested girls! Has anyone heard and/or ordered from Cake Maternity? They had an ad in fit pregnancy, and I wondering if something from there might work for me. 
  • Is anyone looking into nursing clothing and/or bras yet? Nursing bras: I tried on the largest cup size at motherhood yesterday (G) and an XL there an neither fit- I have NO idea what I am going to do.

Where do you stand on the wire/no wire debate? I am up to an H cup from DDD (ridiculousness) and tried both wire and non wire since. I am suck with wire - no wire bras don't give me any support. 

Favorite brands/stores? Open to suggestions for large chested girls! Has anyone heard and/or ordered from Cake Maternity? They had an ad in fit pregnancy, and I wondering if something from there might work for me. 

I haven't tried Cake yet, but I have H and I Anita nursing bras that have a bit of stretch in the cup. I bought the H while pregnant with DD, and the I after my milk came in. Both still fit, are comfortable, and supportive.
    Married 8/29/09
  • XathXath member
    Is anyone looking into nursing clothing and/or bras yet? Nursing bras: I tried on the largest cup size at motherhood yesterday (G) and an XL there an neither fit- I have NO idea what I am going to do.

I tried cake but I found their cups ran small so I never ended up getting one to fit.  The Anita bra I got was more true to size.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
  • @shmarpler @Xath thank you, i will check out Anita.
  • Is anyone looking into nursing clothing and/or bras yet? I started wearing nursing bras at the end of January. I just got a 3 pack on Amazon. I may need to get a larger size, but for the price totally worth it. They are very comfortable and come with an extender - very few size options though.
    As for clothing I found a tutorial on Pinterest for DIY nursing undershirts so I'll probably go that route, and maybe get a couple actual nursing shirts. 

I will probably avoid wire until I go back to my regular bras. 

I ordered a maternity support belt that doubles as a postpartum belt. I may get a more postpartum-specific girdle later.

Favorite brands/stores? Amazon because I'm too lazy to go to stores and they have easy returns. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • *bump* 

I'm really frustrated because I can't seem to find unpadded underwire nursing bras. It seems like they just don't exist! At least not cheaply. And the few that do are lace, which I'd like to avoid because of itchiness. 

Does anyone know of any, preferably pretty cheap (under $20?) I like padded for every day, but I've decided I don't want it in a nursing bra for two reasons - the padding is hard to fold down under the breast and I'm going to be wearing nursing pads most of the time anyway, which will hide my nipples (the only reason I wear padded bras). 

I found a Gilligan and O'Malley (target brand) unpadded and wired on the Target website, but I'm leery because I hated the fit of the padded nursing bra of that brand I found in store. I ultimately bought it because I needed one, but I found a different one (still padded) that was better at Walmart and returned the Target one. Obviously, an unpadded bra is going to fit differently than a padded bra, but I'm still leery. 
  • XathXath member
    *bump* 

I'm really frustrated because I can't seem to find unpadded underwire nursing bras. It seems like they just don't exist! At least not cheaply. And the few that do are lace, which I'd like to avoid because of itchiness. 

Does anyone know of any, preferably pretty cheap (under $20?) I like padded for every day, but I've decided I don't want it in a nursing bra for two reasons - the padding is hard to fold down under the breast and I'm going to be wearing nursing pads most of the time anyway, which will hide my nipples (the only reason I wear padded bras). 

I found a Gilligan and O'Malley (target brand) unpadded and wired on the Target website, but I'm leery because I hated the fit of the padded nursing bra of that brand I found in store. I ultimately bought it because I needed one, but I found a different one (still padded) that was better at Walmart and returned the Target one. Obviously, an unpadded bra is going to fit differently than a padded bra, but I'm still leery. 
    This one's not $20, but it's not padded and has a good amount of stretch to the cup.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00470H2L4/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item?th=1&psc=1

• H&M! I've never tried their bras, so I can't speak to how they feel/fit, but many of theirs are under $20 and only lined, not padded. I think they have underwire,but not 100% sure because it's been awhile since I looked. 
  • shmarplershmarpler member
    edited June 2017
    @lovesclimbing, I second what @Xath said. They are totally worth the cost. 
    Married 8/29/09
  • Thank you for resurrecting this thread!!! I was actually just searching on Amazon for nursing stuff and getting really frustrated.  I might have to go check out some of these other places now :) 
  • @lovesclimbing Sorry I can't be of any help with the bra situation...the ones I bought from Motherhood are padded and no underwire. Not all that supportive, but SO comfy.

If anyone is still looking for nursing tanks (and don't need a ton of support), gap.com might be an option. I ordered a few of these in different colors and I love the material and that they are so forgiving in the stomach area. I usually go for clip down tanks but thought I'd try these this time around. If you give them a try, definitely size down 1 from what you normally wear. They're about $23, but today's 40% off code should work on them.

• @lovesclimbing Sorry I can't be of any help with the bra situation...the ones I bought from Motherhood are padded and no underwire. Not all that supportive, but SO comfy.

If anyone is still looking for nursing tanks (and don't need a ton of support), gap.com might be an option. I ordered a few of these in different colors and I love the material and that they are so forgiving in the stomach area. I usually go for clip down tanks but thought I'd try these this time around. If you give them a try, definitely size down 1 from what you normally wear. They're about $23, but today's 40% off code should work on them.

I really wanted to try those! It does sound like they run big though, and unfortunately I already wear the smallest size.

I do really like Gap's regular clip down nursing tanks, too. 
  • @ladylolly89 Then they would definitely be too big for you! I usually wear a large and ordered a medium. If it wasn't such a pain to return maternity stuff, or if I wasn't so close to LO's due date, I'd have probably sent them back for a size small! It doesn't help that one boob is a bit bigger than the other...one sits nicely in there but the other just looks lost in the extra room, haha! They really should make the straps adjustable. 
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    edited June 2017
    Xath said:
    >
    This one's not $20, but it's not padded and has a good amount of stretch to the cup.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00470H2L4/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item?th=1&psc=1

Thanks. I've actually heard some good and some bad about this brand. My sister bought an Anita, but didn't like the stretch in the cups. She felt the cups didn't hold her in enough.

I'll have to look at H&M, thanks @ladylolly89. I've never shopped there before.

My other concern is I don't want to be buying tons of stuff and paying out the nose for shipping. Plenty of places don't ship free to Alaska. And bra shopping is always a crap shoot because I have no idea what size I'll wear. My everyday bras that I've continued to wear throughout this pregnancy (and are on the small side now) are D's, but both nursing bras I've bought so far were C's. What? So I hate the idea of shopping online because I'm going to have to order multiple sizes, pay shipping to get to me, and then pay shipping again to return what doesn't fit. *sigh* Why can't boobs just stay the same size?

Such a cute tank @GoodWitchoftheNorth! I was looking at nursing tanks at Walmart this morning. You get what you pay for! The elastic under the bust was exposed and so itchy just trying it on. I can't imagine wearing it all day. 
  • Xath said:
    >

Thanks. I've actually heard some good and some bad about this brand. My sister bought an Anita, but didn't like the stretch in the cups. She felt the cups didn't hold her in enough.

My other concern is I don't want to be buying tons of stuff and paying out the nose for shipping. Plenty of places don't ship free to Alaska. And bra shopping is always a crap shoot because I have no idea what size I'll wear. My everyday bras that I've continued to wear throughout this pregnancy (and are on the small side now) are D's, but both nursing bras I've bought so far were C's. What? So I hate the idea of shopping online because I'm going to have to order multiple sizes, pay shipping to get to me, and then pay shipping again to return what doesn't fit. *sigh* Why can't boobs just stay the same size?

Such a cute tank @GoodWitchoftheNorth! I was looking at nursing tanks at Walmart this morning. You get what you pay for! The elastic under the bust was exposed and so itchy just trying it on. I can't imagine wearing it all day. 
    Does Amazon ship to AK for free? I'm in the lower 48, so that wasn't an issue for me. I really liked the stretch in this cup since my size fluctuated so much throughout the day, especially during the early nursing days. Plus, with free shipping and returns, I ordered a few to make sure I had the correct size, and returned the others without an issue.
    Married 8/29/09
  • shmarpler said:
    Xath said:
    >

Does Amazon ship to AK for free? I'm in the lower 48, so that wasn't an issue for me. I really liked the stretch in this cup since my size fluctuated so much throughout the day, especially during the early nursing days. Plus, with free shipping and returns, I ordered a few to make sure I had the correct size, and returned the others without an issue.
    Amazon does, yes, but if I don't like it or the size isn't right, I still have to pay return shipping. :(  I believe that until clothing brands standardize their sizing, they should be required to pay for return shipping costs if people order things according to their sizing chart but they don't fit.
  • *bump* 

https://baby.steals.com/p/3034480/naturana-underwire-maternity-bra-2-pack?v=3142265&f=3017324

These have a tiny bit of lace, but I think they are un padded and a good deal. 
  • Any suggestions for a hands free pumping bra? I see they make ones for all day use which I think would be better than the cheap madela one i bought last time
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker