1st Trimester

Good hcg but low progesterone

Hi there! I'm new on here since I haven't used this site since I had my daughter 4 years ago and I am pregnant with my 3rd child. I never had hcg or progesterone levels checked with my first 2 so I'm hoping for some positive stories.

I had 4 chemicals last year so when I get pregnant now my Dr has me do bloodwork. On Monday, at 5+1my hcg was 4277 and progesterone was at 6.1. I found out on Tuesday and started a progesterone supplement that night. Today (Wednesday), I did more bloodwork and got results of hcg at 7297 and progesterone at 10.1. Dr said she is very happy with my hcg and likes how much my progesterone went up. She said we will do a sono in 2 weeks to see what we have.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? Are there success stories out there or am I just delaying the inevitable by taking the supplements? Is it possible this baby is healthy?  
DS - 8 years old
DD = 4 years old
After 4 CP in 2016, we stopped trying for a 3rd baby.  Now we have a surprise on the way! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Good hcg but low progesterone

• joesmommy said:
    Hi there! I'm new on here since I haven't used this site since I had my daughter 4 years ago and I am pregnant with my 3rd child. I never had hcg or progesterone levels checked with my first 2 so I'm hoping for some positive stories.

I had 4 chemicals last year so when I get pregnant now my Dr has me do bloodwork. On Monday, at 5+1my hcg was 4277 and progesterone was at 6.1. I found out on Tuesday and started a progesterone supplement that night. Today (Wednesday), I did more bloodwork and got results of hcg at 7297 and progesterone at 10.1. Dr said she is very happy with my hcg and likes how much my progesterone went up. She said we will do a sono in 2 weeks to see what we have.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? Are there success stories out there or am I just delaying the inevitable by taking the supplements? Is it possible this baby is healthy?  
    Sorry about your previous issues with CP, I can see why you are nervous, but it sounds like your doctor is confident. Hang tight until ultrasound, but to me (A nonorofessional) the numbers look alright.
  • You're right. I need to stay calm and wait for the sono. Thank you. 
    DS - 8 years old
    DD = 4 years old
    After 4 CP in 2016, we stopped trying for a 3rd baby.  Now we have a surprise on the way! 

• Loading the player...
  • kiki75kiki75 member
    I'm sorry you've had such a year. That's really hard.

The health of the embryo doesn't influence how much progesterone your body makes. Those are separate things. You could have a perfect embryo and have your body just fail to step up/keep up the progesterone. Having low progesterone does not mean that there is anything wrong with the embryo. Many women who get pregnant with fertility treatments are put on progesterone until week 10. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that low progesterone played a role in your CPs. As for why you had healthy pregnancies before without ever checking or supplementing progesterone, bodies are just weird and things change over time. FX for a great scan!

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • Thank you so much for taking the time to say that. I'm just such a worrier anymore that i seem to be worrying over what could be nothing. 

I did call my nurse today and she said that I may have had low progesterone with both of my kids and we just didn't know. She told me not to worry and she is confident that all is well. That helped me alot too. It's the thought of a blighted ovum that is stressing me right now. Fx that isn't the case!! 
    DS - 8 years old
    DD = 4 years old

• I experienced similar symptoms early in my pregnancy. My progesterone was very low and my hcg was not doubling as it should. Me RE put me on a progesterone supplement and my OB still has me on it.
    Here's the good news. I'll be 12 weeks tomorrow and so far we have a healthy and active baby with a strong heartbeat. He/she was so active for my last u/s on Wednesday that we couldn't even get a good picture! 
    Hope this puts your mind at ease somewhat.
  • I had a miscarriage at around 7 weeks, two years ago. When I got pregnant again a month later, my OB tested my progesterone levels and they were low, so she put me on suppositories for the first 12 weeks. She explained that sometimes your body produces enough progesterone to get pregnant, but not enough to sustain the uterine lining until the placenta takes over around 12 weeks. This is especially common as you get older. (I'm 37.) I am on progesterone suppositories again this pregnancy. I started spotting at 4 1/2 weeks and it stopped as soon as I started the progesterone. Everything has been normal since then. I have my 12-week u/s tomorrow, and hopefully I can stop taking them after that. (The suppositories are red, and it looks like a blood bath in my underwear when I wake up every morning. Freaked me out the first time!!)