Registry Thread

13»

Re: Registry Thread

• @MCraig1484

What did you love?

Pregnancy:

- Body pillow was a must for me to get any sleep in the last trimester

Baby:

- Halo Sleep Sacks were a must for us...we couldn't get a regular swaddle, DS would just squirm too much, but he couldn't sleep without being swaddled, so our first night home was miserable.  I signed up for Amazon Prime the next morning, ordered 2 and then sent my mom to pick up one at BBR to hold us over until the order arrived. - - Sound machine: DS still sleeps with this every night and its a lifesaver when we travel too (make sure you get one that doesn't have an auto-shutoff and that plugs in and has batteries

- My Breast Friend nursing pillow: I lived in this thing the first 3 months

- Rock N Play: DS would take naps in it plus he would just hang out in it while I got things done

-Wubanub: we only used this for a pacifier since its easier for baby to put back in/doesn't fall

What would you save on (e.g. buy used or choose the cheaper available option)?

Baby:

- swing: each baby is so different. we only ended up using our used mamaroo a couple of times, DS just didn't like it, but I know moms that swear by it...and other moms that swear by others...don't spend much, so that if you need to switch to something different it wasn't a huge investment

- clothes: DS lived in Carter's onsies and footed pjs his first 3 months, I just bought the packs of different colored ones and rotated them

- shoes: so not necessary until they start to walk

What would you splurge on?

Pregnancy:

- One pair of premium maternity jeans, they are sooooo much comfier than the cheap ones

Baby:

- An easy to use, safe car seat plus an extra base

- Either a stroller or a carrier, whichever you prefer. Do your research!

Bonus Q's:

What was your "unicorn" pregnancy/baby item?

- definitely the Halo Sleepsacks

Were there any specific keepsake items you have come to cherish?

- newborn photosession

• @victoriah1516

What did I love:

Pregnancy - maxi dresses. So much more comfy than pants! I live in Texas and was in my third trimester during the heart of the summer....comfy is way more important than cute but when you can get both - bonus!!

Baby: I loved my baby wrap. Buy two different ones and see what you like best. But it was so nice to have my arms free and it really calmed baby! Also loved our Rock n Play. Our baby slept in it for 6 months and it was so easy and portable and made nighttime breastfeeding a breeze.

SAVE ON:

I was not a big nursing pillow fan. I could not get comfortable with it and found using a regular pillow to be much more effectice.

buying a lot of items they don't know ba b y will like. Our baby hated being swaddled and hated pacifiers and we have so many still in the original packaging. This is the same with bottles...you don't know what baby will like so instead of buying 30 bottles of the same brand, buy one of a couple different brands and when you find what baby likes then go stock up.

Lastly, pass on buying to many elaborate newborn outfits. I am going shipping with a friend who is expecting her first in July and she kept showing me all these newborn outfits with pants and jumpers....onesies and sleep gowns are all you need!  When you are changing 10+diapers a day you will find out pants are the enemy...at least until they have more muscle tone!

Splurge on a prenatal massage...especially in the third trimester. A good stroller ! And definitely splurge on car seat...no cutting corners there!

• Loading the player...
  • @hippiegirl884

Most everything has been said, but a book/app that really saved me was "the wonder weeks". This was one of the most  sanity saver things I purchased for the babies. It didn't make their transitions any easier, but for me to have a small idea of what happened to the sweet smiley baby that was replaced with a crying no sleep monster and the reassurance that this too will pass and they are just learning some big things, was really comforting to me. 

• @baker1jm2

My only advice is do not buy any snap up jammies.  When you're changing a million diapers a day including middle of the night you do NOT want to be messing with those damn snaps....I got rid of all of our snap up ones we had after the first time she wore one. Zippers or sleep sacks all the way...you'll thank me ;)

• @Boobopgirl

I added a "labor" category for a few of mine.

What did you love?

Pregnancy: birth ball totally helped me be more comfy sitting, sounds ridiculous, but squatty potty (google it if you've never seen one)  I didn't actually buy one, but used 2 stepstools for under my feet.  Really helped relieve hemorrhoids and constipation.

Labor:  I bought a spray fan that ended up being a lifesaver since i had major hot flashes with contractions,  i also made a birth skirt from a pair of yoga pants + material from an ugly turtleneck that i wore for both my labors with a thrift store tank top and was so much more comfy than a hospital gown

Baby: velcro swaddles, extra sheets (both mine were super poopers, lol), some type of hands free baby carrier

What did you buy/receive that you would you skip this time around?

Pregnancy: bigger bras for maternity boobs...just get nursing bras/nursing camis

Baby:  shoes, more than 1 or 2 fancy outfits for the first few months

What would you save on (e.g. buy used or choose the cheaper available option)?

Pregnancy:  maternity clothes

Baby: pretty much everything except what I put in splurge

What would you splurge on?

Pregnancy:  good nutrition and vitamins, at least 1 super cute outfit for when you feel blah and need a confidence boost.

Baby:  1 nice baby carrier, quality diaper bag that won't fall apart, breast pump (if your insurance provides one, get one even if you don't think you'll need it.  You can't sell a pump your insurance gives you, but you CAN donate it to a mom in need.  My first would have starved or ended up with a feeding tube if I hadn't had a good pump, so this is important to me

Bonus Q's:

What was your "unicorn" pregnancy/baby item? Moby wrap, double stroller for the 2nd (didn't think I'd need it...then my older dd broke her leg and i was stuck with 2 non-walkers)

Were there any specific keepsake items you have come to cherish?  I crochet a hat/bootie/blanket set for each of mine and also a set for their dedication.  Also, they have both come home in the same sleeper (white with duckies) so thats a tradition now...

• I'm confused as to why a different thread is being completely copied into this one? Genuinely curious, not trying to step on anyone's toes. 
  • JessDGJessDG member
    Has anyone used Babylist for their registry before?  We are thinking about it but weren't sure if that was the way to go.  Anyone who is using it this time around or has use it before who has any opinions, I'd love to hear them.  Thanks!
  • @JessDG I haven't used Babylist, and I feel a bit guilty about it because I do love their newsletter and ideas. I just can't figure out why I should use it over Amazon's universal registry. I'm planning to have my shower organizers say something like "Roo is registered here, but would also be glad to receive any gently used baby items or babysitting offers", which basically covers the whole coupons section. 
  • JessDGJessDG member
    Yeah.  We thought about Amazon too.  We just want to register for what we want and let people shop around for the best deal.  I don't think we will be registering for meals or babysitting services.  As we have been  looking around at things at buy buy baby or babies r us, we see the same thing much cheaper other places in a lot of cases.  
  • just FYI i may have said it in this thread before but babies r us > buy buy baby. the deals are better, the completion coupon is better. and def get a BRU CC. amazon is meh on completion deals. but i did there and BBB to give options to people.
                                      DD1 - 10/11/13                 DD2 - 5/07/15

Pregnancy Ticker

May Siggy Challenge: Parenting Fails
    Image result for parenting fails
  • anyone have a Vtech monitor? thoughts?

Pregnancy Ticker

• @carries2018 did you have any issues with the returns at BRU? One of my mama friends said the return policy there was awful and it's better to go with Amazon and/or Target because you can return anything, even if you've used it and baby hates it. I also have a few things I've registered for at BBB cause with the coupons they are great deals. I got pretty mad at BRU cause I started a registry there and marked it private but it wasn't 100% private - my mom found it just by googling. Luckily I have a nosy mom who let me know!
  • @roo_baby I can't recall my experience returning things. But I know I did something without a receipt and wasn't on my registry and I got store credit easy peasy. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @roo_baby targets return policy is getting terrible now. DD2 got a teepee tent for Christmas. It was missing a pole. We didn't have a receipt as it was a gift from SIL. They gave us HALF the value store credit even though all we wanted to do was an even exchange! So of course DD2 was with us and started to cry. The customer service rep said, " oh my God , I'm not going to make a little girl cry. Just take it!" In reference to the new tent. Not sure if baby items are any different return wise but I was surprised when this happened. Typically they take your Drivers License and no questions asked. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Oct. '17 June S.C. "You Had 1 Job"

• Has anyone used this before? 
  • jasmuinjasmuin member
    @beautyundefined I have that exact same one. We used it for tent camping last summer and I absolutely loved it! 
  • @jasmuin does it take up a lot of space in the bed?
  • jasmuinjasmuin member
    @beautyundefined I didn't think it took up a lot of space. It was worth it for us!  She did grow too long for it pretty fast but it lasted the summer camping months. 
  • @jasmuin thanks for the help! I'm going to put it on my registry  :)
  • roo_baby said:
    @carries2018 did you have any issues with the returns at BRU? One of my mama friends said the return policy there was awful and it's better to go with Amazon and/or Target because you can return anything, even if you've used it and baby hates it. I also have a few things I've registered for at BBB cause with the coupons they are great deals. I got pretty mad at BRU cause I started a registry there and marked it private but it wasn't 100% private - my mom found it just by googling. Luckily I have a nosy mom who let me know!
    @roo_baby

BRU  & TRU are both awful with returns.  I did target for my first and was very happy that I did. I could return things as late as I wanted, without a receipt,  no issues... I referenced my registry,  no problems at all. 

I'm debating using target for my sprinkle since its been 8 years at this point  and all baby things have been given to friends and passed along 
  • so....I'm in registry obsession mode and getting ready to buy nursery furniture. Dumb question- are all crib mattresses basically the same? If the crib I saw at BRU looks good in person and fits my budget should I be concerned that it only got a 3.5 star review?? I'm feeling overwhelmed!
  • June 2017 Siggy Challenge:  "You had one job to do!"

BabyFruit Ticker
  • ariz17ariz17 member
    @Brambles23 FTM so I haven't... but it is so cute!
  • A coworker bought me this. Haven't used it for a newborn yet, although DD loves to sit on it. I lent it to a friend to try with their 1 month old. I'll report back if she uses it.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • so....I'm in registry obsession mode and getting ready to buy nursery furniture. Dumb question- are all crib mattresses basically the same? If the crib I saw at BRU looks good in person and fits my budget should I be concerned that it only got a 3.5 star review?? I'm feeling overwhelmed!
    With DD we chose to pay a bit more for a light weight mattress (foam core). I've got back/hip issues and lifting a heavy crib mattress is miserable, so it was worth the extra $25 for me. We have this one and will her the same for DS. Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Infant/Toddler Crib Mattress - Hypoallergenic Soy Foam, Extra Firm, Durable Waterproof Cover, Lightweight, Air Quality Certified Foam, 52"x28" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001N4LE5M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_yFfozbX10WSMW
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • @dogperson11 We just got that exact mattress delivered from Amazon :) my SIL recommended 

• ariz17ariz17 member
    Is it dumb to put a rug on our registry? We have all hardwood floors upstairs including the nursery. BF thinks its weird. Hes like, "is someone really going to buy us a rug??" Lol when you put it that way...

Also, how many items do you / are you ladies planning to put on your registry? I feel like we have a lot already. Although we are having our baby shower next month (pretty early I know) so we need to wrap things up.
  • Same! I'm putting errrrrything on the registry! Diapers, wipes, laundry detergent, you name it.
  • I agree- put it on there! What's the harm? I don't think anyone will find it weird.

@dogperson11 thanks for the suggestion on a mattress. I'm so lost when it comes to them and it seems excessive to spend 200+ on one! I'm going to put the one you suggested on my registry.
  • @dogperson11 that's the mattress we registered for, too!

Once we pick a rug, it's going on the registry. We've gotten lectures from friends for not having registered for certain things, and I've had to explain that we either have them already or haven't decided which version yet. We are also planning to add a bunch of non-baby stuff at some point after the shower so we can use the registry completion discounts. 
  • ariz17ariz17 member
    @roo_baby That is such a good idea!
  • edited June 2017
     The bumbo multi-seat NOT the floor seat is seriously the best and easiest way to have a high chair for us and if you're trying to save space. Just wipe down and when the straps are dirty they are removable and you can toss in the wash and air dry! So easy and travels well 
  • I also love the Velcro or zip swaddles! Best invention ever lol and I agree on the baby shoes too. We got a bunch for free and many of them kept falling off