2nd Trimester
Options

Any incouragement? Tested high for AFP and baby is measuring small showing signs of IUGR

Hi!  This is my first time posting.  During this pregnancy I was offered DNA testing to rule out genetic disorders.  I have always been against testing that could come back with false positives so for my other 2 pregnancies I never did any type of testing.  My DNA tests came back perfect so when I was offered the test for Neural tube defect I said yes without knowing a lot about it.  My AFP levels came back high so it was recommend a see a high risk doctor for more ultrasounds.  The genetic counselor calmed most of our fears and we were very confident going into the ultrasound that our little girl was going to be ok.  She was in a ball so they weren't able to completely see her spine but they were more concerned that the baby was measuring small.  I was 19 weeks and parts of her were measuring more like 16 weeks.  The doctor is concerned that my placenta isn't as "robust" as she would like it.  I have been a wreck..... All weekend unable to sleep and I am having difficulties getting through the day with my other 2 kids.  Has anyone had a baby showing signs of IUGR this early that has a positive story of getting the baby to a size that would be viable without long lasting health deficiencies? 

Re: Any incouragement? Tested high for AFP and baby is measuring small showing signs of IUGR

• Options
    You might want to check or xpost in the High Risk board. Good luck and I hope your baby is ok.
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • Options
    I recommend changing your username. Your email is visible to anyone, member or not, who visits this forum. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I recommend changing your username. Your email is visible to anyone, member or not, who visits this forum. 

This, but also, IUGR isn't uncommon - I'd second taking a look at the high risk boards.  Often times, it just means more frequent ultrasounds to make sure that the baby is developing properly, and possibly early induction if any problems are spotted.  If the baby is born early, there is a chance of NICU stay, obviously.  I know it makes you nervous, but this issue would have been present whether you had the testing or not - and if you didn't have the testing, it could have been missed.  It's better that you know about it early so that the doctors can monitor it properly than that you be in the dark - this way the baby is getting the best available medical care.