September 2017 Moms

Anyone else still working out?

I am still going strong but some things are getting harder and harder it seems by the day.  Still doing yoga once a week which involves inversions.  My head stand is only about a minute long before I have to come down because of the blood flow and also pressure on my lungs.  At cross fit I have noticed that running absolutely sucks anymore and causes me to get really sore if I have to do over 800 meters.  Also, my pull ups are now down to about 4 or 5 in a row before I break.

What are you doing for a workout and how many times a week?

Anything seem to get more and more challenging as we progress?

Re: Anyone else still working out?

• Loading the player...
  • I take walks.. and that's about it.. shame. I'd like to do arm workouts but I'm afraid of the weight. 

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • I do yoga 4-5 times a week. I've completely stopped with inversions. I wasn't very stable to begin with and with my center of gravity, and my balance in general, shifting I'm not interested in risking a tumble. I definitely notice I get tired much more quickly so depending on how challenging the flow is, I sometimes find myself hanging out in down dog or child's pose a lot toward the end. There are also certain poses where I have to shift my stance or move my belly out of the way, which I'm not used to.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • I'm not allowed to do much exercise due to my complications, unfortunately, but I do still walk a lot. I'm walking about a quarter to a half mile every day, but I take it slow and stay hydrated so I don't over heat or over exert myself. I miss yoga! 

• My office has a gym and instructors come in 3 days a week for 30 minute sessions. They are usually weight workouts but sometimes yoga. They're great at modifying for me. I do anywhere from 3-5 days a week down there and then we do walks and bike rides in addition. The only thing I'm finding awkward now is lunges since my belly hits my thighs. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm attempting to work out but definitely not as often as I'd like to be. I'm not sure if I've quit running. The last time I went was last Tuesday and it was hard and I was so sore afterward. I might try again tomorrow, if the rain ever ends here... I feel like a failure if I quit. All those damn instagrammers bragging about running at 38 wks! Ugh. 
  • Ok, so I'm going to be blunt. Anyone else notice their...uhhh body odor smelling differently? I've even tried new deordants and what not. It's not that I smell bad I just fell like I smell, maybe because my senses? Another thing to be self-conscious about 
    Yes. And I hear it's worse PP :( 

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Ok, so I'm going to be blunt. Anyone else notice their...uhhh body odor smelling differently? I've even tried new deordants and what not. It's not that I smell bad I just fell like I smell, maybe because my senses? Another thing to be self-conscious about 
    Yup, and it stayed that way until a few weeks after delivery too. The first like three weeks after Easton I was a stinky sweaty monster, no matter how much deodorant I used. It was worst in the first week or two. It has started already but not as bad as I got it after delivery 
  • I didn't notice it PP maybe because I was taking fenugreek and smelt like maple constantly, and as a Canadian I thought I'd like it but I couldn't deal. @Sugargirl1019 @wyomama0427  

Canadian Bumpie - Texas bound
    DS #1 [S-5]
    3 Step Daughters [A-8] [E-6] [I-4]
    Baby #2 09/10/2017 
    It's a BOY! 
    Babywearer&EBF
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Yup, and it stayed that way until a few weeks after delivery too. The first like three weeks after Easton I was a stinky sweaty monster, no matter how much deodorant I used. It was worst in the first week or two. It has started already but not as bad as I got it after delivery 
    I smell a little different when I am pregnant, but I think it went away a few weeks PP. I just feel sweaty and gross all the time.
  • @Sugargirl1019 do not be scared to add some light weights in! I would start with 5 pounds and work up from there to see what you are comfortable with. I am still squatting and deadlifting over 100 pounds and putting up to 65 overhead.  My midwife is very encouraging of it.

@Lizlann I do not know what I would do without my weekly yoga session.  My head balances are now close to the wall in case I lose balance.  It is definitely getting harder to every week due to the belly but inversions were always the one thing my yoga teacher encouraged to keep up with during my pregnancy.  She wouldn't even let me do down dog till my second trimester!

@kaylaakosua my pits have been gross lately. I remember with DS it took weeks for the funky BO to go away postpartum.  I was only applying deodorant 1-2 times a day but now it is more like 3 times a day.
  • I am going to the gym about 3 times a week and trying to do cardio everyday. I follow a routine on a bodybuilding.com app for pregnancy which makes planning my workouts easy. A lot of the routine and body weight only but there is a few that have weights which I use light weight no more then 15 pounds. Just have to really listen to your body and stretch after.

Going to the gym hasn't been that hard for me its the FOOD!!!! I love food!

• I'm not supposed to pull patients at work when we turn them in bed, so I don't understand the difference with lifting weights. Is it because weights don't strain the abdomen?  They're afraid of PROM and preterm labor.. or at least that's what I've been told.

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • @sugargirl1019 your probably right about that when pulling would strain abdomen, would think thats a no no.. Idk tho. when I lift weights I try to sit down and focus more on the body part I'm working out. My doctor didn't seem too concerned she just told me to do whatever I was doing in gym before pregnancy as long as I didn't spot after or have cramping. I was concerned with that since I told her I was leg pressing 150 pounds and she said yeah you can still do that just listen to your body.. I decided NOT to do that and haven't been on leg press since pregnancy.
  • 100% agree with @lilpoots
  • I'm barely working out anymore. I've done some yoga. I quit going on walks because the tailbone pain was too intense. Does chasing a toddler around count?? I plan on getting a membership to a training place post partum and get back in shape. 
  • @jessieR358 Chasing a toddler totally counts. It's hard to even keep up most days.

**TW**
    Married 2013

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • Chasing a toddler, some walks here and there, and very rare 2-3 mile runs. I miss my trails and MRTT group out in CO. Definitely would be running more if I was still there. Really hoping to try and run at least once a week throughout the rest of this pregnancy. 
  • I try to walk to work 2-3 times a week. It's a mile RT. I went to yoga yesterday after a month and a half and I was shocked on how different my body felt. A lot of things felt uncomfortable, so I just took it easy. I need to try to stay more active. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm still going to crossfit like 3-4 times a week. I haven't really been running though it REALLY hurts my pubic bone. I normally just scale with rowing or assault bike. I've been going a little lighter on weight on somethings and normal on others. Like this morning my 3 rep max on thrusters I did 125 and pre pregnancy it was like 155. So just lightening the load where I feel it's needed. It's getting HOT out though and that is what's getting me!!
  • amow06amow06 member
    I've been trying to keep up with jogging 1-2 days a week, but I keep getting nagging tendonitis. Is this more common during pregnancy?  Other than that, I've just been walking at least 30 minutes per day.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I would also recommend machines over weights at this stage.  Weights are better for activating muscles in your entire body.   "Lifting weights" almost always includes working your core.  Very few weighted excercises don't ( think biceps, triceps). If you're looking at only targeting one muscle selectorized machines would be better and safer.  But the rule is if you weren't doing it before don't start now.  If you are looking at starting something I would recommend light cardio or light machines.  Free weights would be off the table unless working with a certified trainer.  

Canadian Bumpie - Texas bound
    DS #1 [S-5]
    3 Step Daughters [A-8] [E-6] [I-4]
    Baby #2 09/10/2017 
    It's a BOY! 
    Babywearer&EBF
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• amow06 said:
    I've been trying to keep up with jogging 1-2 days a week, but I keep getting nagging tendonitis. Is this more common during pregnancy?  Other than that, I've just been walking at least 30 minutes per day.
     Carpal tunnel is a thing, especially in the wrist and hand! 

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • I feel weirdly motivated to workout this pregnancy. I do a high intensity cardio class once a week, add in some swimming, and walking the dog daily. I'm starting stand up paddle board now too. What is wrong with me? I mean I am making up for the effort by eating ice cream and brownies and chips on the daily but I kinda hope this motivation stays with me post birth! 
  • I've been doing 2 miles on my elliptical machine 5-6 times a week first thing in the morning (about 20 minutes) and I go for walks after work most evenings (1-2 miles at a time), I chase my toddler around and I do go to a Zumba class once a week although I'm having to cut down on the intensity level of the Zumba the last few weeks! I am usually a runner but my body just really doesn't like it this time and the elliptical is a great alternative. My belly feels as big already as it was at the END of my first pregnancy with DD. It's nuts!  I am always wanting to eat and even with this decent level of exercise I've gained 20+ lbs already although I did weigh less this time than before I got pregnant with DD...sigh.  Just trying to stay healthy and optimistic and remembering that the weight will come off afterwards...!!!
  • I speed walk on my treadmill for an hour at a pace of 4mph 5 days a week. It just feels too good not to. It's helped me a lot in terms of back pain during this pregnancy.  I used to do this 7x a week but I just enjoy the time with my dh and ds instead.
  • I don't know about you ladies but continuing my workout routine just feels good to me.  With my first pregnancy I gained almost 70 pounds and I was severely swelling by week 21 along with up and down blood pressure issues.  I was scared to death to do anything but sit so I never worked out or even thought about it.  This pregnancy has been so different so far.  No swelling, no BP issues and no crazy continuous aches and pains so far.  
  • @JustBored10 I agree. Yesterday I was at a full-day seminar where I just sat all day. I was so sore by the time I got home and just wanted to get out for a walk! Being active in some way most days has kept my pain and general discomfort way down compared to last time. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm doing light (around 140 bpm ) elliptical workouts 2-3x a week, for 30-60 min depending on how I feel.  It makes me really sad, but I've stopped squats altogether because of my pubic symphysis pain.  I have a personal trainer I see twice a month (DH and I switch off every week) and weight train with.  I try to do weights 1-2 x a week.  All of this really depends on how I feel from week to week.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @JustBored10 I was in a similar situation as you with you for my prior pregnancy.  I gained about 55-60lbs, partly because I had (maybe spotting) and stress and was put on bedrest, and also because I was just not taking good care of myself. 

This time around I want to avoid ALL the problems I developed with excess weight gain previously, but actually had MORE spotting in the first and early second tri than previously, so I hadn't really exercised and let myself get deconditioned yet again.  My diet has been better though, and my work is quite up and down, so I have maintained a lightly active lifestyle even without a formal workout.  Now that the spotting has been gone for a while (we decided it was cervical irritation from sex, increased blood flow, etc)... I have slowly started exercising again. 

First with walks, and a week or so ago I added some weights/squats/etc back in.  Thankfully my body seems to remember how to do these and my routine has been getting easier and easier already.  Because of my history of preterm labor (which we stopped), I won't go much beyond what I am doing now, but I feel much better, breathe easier, and have so far kept the swelling away.  My goal was only 25# with this pregnancy, but I'm at 20# now at 27 weeks, so I'm re-adjusting to just keep it at about 30. 

I'm small so the bump looks huge though.  I'm sure I look like I'm about to give birth though, every time I squat, lol.

On another note, I am not a naturally flexible person... some of you mention prenatal yoga cds?  I can't find a local class that I can make, but would appreciate a recommendation for a home use program. TY!

Me: 31 & DH: 36
    Married 2009
    DS: 6 y/o
    TTC #2 for (way too long)
    BFP: 12/30/2016 !!!

• edited June 2017
    @PKFMommie I like Prenatal Yoga by Tonic on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/user/BodyTalkDaily). They have series of 10 minute prenatal flows that are truly appropriate for any level of yogi. They focus primarily on breath and stretching. They do sometimes use props (blocks, etc.) but you can easily do these without any props (even the episode that uses a chair if you know what you're doing). If you do all of them together (there are 5) you essentially get a full yoga routine. In general, but especially given your history, I would start really slow with just the first episode, which focuses on the stretching piece. Then you could add on as you wish.

**TW**
    Married 2013