November 2017 Moms

Mental health Monday: 5/29

The *almost* Tuesday edition, because holiday weekends are busy. How's everyone doing? 

Re: Mental health Monday: 5/29

• BayCampBayCamp member
    My anxiety has ramped up. I'm not a germaphobe but I'm constantly convinced DS is getting sick. Every time his mood changes, or he just seems tired I'm on edge that he's coming down with something. Also, my grandma underwent surgery to remove a cancerous tumor and it was only semi-successful. There is a secondary tumor that has fused to her diaphragm and they aren't sure of an action plan, and she doesn't even know yet. They're waiting until she's healed from this surgery to tell her. :::sigh:::  I know that's probably my trigger, but I wish I could get a handle on it. 
  • My anxiety is so off and on. Little things set me off randomly. I think being so exhausted for so long is starting to wear on me. I'm usually pretty high energy but I am just too tired and sick to get out much. Most of this weekend was good, loved having extra time with my husband home and felt good enough to go out and do a few fun things. But I kind of lost it on his family tonight. Again. Just really emotional and get hangry easily and I can't hide when I'm frustrated. They mean well. But now I just want to cry and not have to go back to work tomorrow. Hopefully some good sleep and writing stuff out will help. It usually does. I can't wait to manage daily yoga again. Also finding better ways to cope with the idea of having two kids. My ds is my sweet little shadow and we are just about inseperable. It's hard to imagine life with another little one.
  • Loading the player...
  • bcashawbcashaw member
    Have any of you gone to the hospital for you anxiety or depression? I'm seriously considering going and checking myself in some days. 
  • BayCampBayCamp member
    @bcashaw I mentioned it at my last MW appointment but this is one of those time I hate how crunchy they are. They just suggested breathing techniques and white noise to help me sleep. Both of which I already used. I'm going to bring it up again when I go back. I Know they are very hesitant to prescribe anything but sometimes it's needed. 

If it continues pp I'm definitely going to go elsewhere. Last time I tried to "manage" on my own and in retrospect I needed professional help so badly. I hope you get some help/relief if you need it. I wish I hadn't waited so long. 
  • I called my OB and started taking Zoloft last week. I couldn't handle the crying every night and lack of energy, motivation, will to do anything, etc. Things were so foggy and dark. I'm glad I called. We have a lot going on right now and it's hard to wrap my mind around it all. I'm still worried about PPD, the birth, the pregnancy, life in general, but I feel like maybe the edge has been taken off. I only cried once this weekend. I still feel overwhelmed but not as depressed about it all.  Some of the intense weight has been lifted 

DS1 is 7.  DD is 1.  DS2 is coming in late April.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @bcashaw I was there last week. My friend urged me to call my OB. I haven't been on medicine since a month before I got pregnant. I was almost in the dark place I was in a couple of years ago before I was diagnosed. It's hard feeling crazy but knowing you're not. Mental health issues suck

• av2323av2323 member
    My anxiety is through the roof.  My sister, best friend, confidant (you get the idea) was diagnosed with congestive heart failure on Friday.  She is 35 years old.  They believe that the respiratory virus she had in February spread to her heart.  Her heart is currently working at 15% and she has a lot of fluid surrounding it.  She is being transferred to Barnes Jewish hospital in St. Louis today.  They are a major heart hospital with excellent doctors.  Hopefully they are able to quickly diagnose the problem and come up with a solution for care.
    Also, I have a routine OB appointment today and those always make me anxious until I hear the heartbeat.
  • @av2323 oh my goodness that's awful!  I'll keep her in my thoughts.  Hopefully they can get it figured out and taken care of.  The hospital has a good reputation so my fingers are crossed for her.

• av2323av2323 member
    @mariposa_767s  It is a great hospital so it gives me hope.  It's just such a shock to hear.  Thank you for keeping her in your thoughts.  She has to be ok.  
  • BayCampBayCamp member
    @av2323 I had a friend in a similar situation last year. She's doing much better now, and her heart is functioning much better. Sending positive vibes to your friend that she has a positive recovery. 
  • av2323av2323 member
    @BayCamp  Thank you!
  • I tried to taper off my meds for anxiety/depression and it didn't go well. I was already at a 1/2 dose of what's recommended normally, so I figured a 1/4 dose then tapering off would be easy. It was a big mistake. The doctors have told me it's my choice what to do about them. To stay on them or go off. 
    I decided to go back on them and now I am beyond emotionally exhausted. When I first started them over a year ago, I felt so zombie like. Now I am feeling that way again. My words have been jumbled and I feel like I am acting weirder than normal. I try to play it off like it's baby brain but I know it's me readjusting to the meds. Feeling so apathetic is rough. 
  • av2323av2323 member
    My sister was released last night.  She will have to wear a defibulator vest, take a cocktail of medications, and keep a low sodium diet but the doctors are optimistic she will recover nicely.  She has a follow up in 3 months but I am beyond relieved.
  • I know if I am way late to this, but I just wanted to say, especially to @bcashaw and @BayCamp I am a FIRM believer in you have to take care of you! I weaned off my anxiety meds before getting pregnant with DS. Went back on them when he was one week old. Weaned off again before getting pregnant with DD. Had a little breakdown at 2 months pregnant and went on a low dose. Upped my dose when we came home from the hospital. Since then I have switched to having a psychiatrist manage my prescription rather than my family doctor. I have stayed on my full dose this pregnancy. The only thing I need to figure out is my "emergency" medicine, the ob said it can dry up my breastmilk. So I'm hoping to come up with a plan b emergency med with the psychiatrist prior to November. Sorry this became very long, I guess my point is, sometimes the benefits of mom being on medication far outweigh any potential risk to baby.