June 2017 Moms

Baby Girl Name Dilema

My SO other and I are having our DD in under three weeks. However, everyone in our family wants one name and I want another. I'm at the point where I'm going to settle to make others happy, but I'm curious to what names others like best. 

Addison Jean or Sloane Marie

Maybe this will help reassure me some on choosing her name. Thanks!

Re: Baby Girl Name Dilema

• And this is why I highly recommend not telling people names before the baby is born. Simply stop talking about it and name the kid whatever you want. No one except the baby's parents have a say in the name. 

I vote Addison. I think Sloane is a last name. 
  • I agree with you 100%. I didn't say anything and STILL call her "baby", but my SO ran wild with one of the names and told everyone we were naming her that when I wasn't even sure I wanted, too. *sigh*
  • Loading the player...
  • The toughest part is that he wants one name and I want the other.  :s

• Nobody's opinion matters but yours and your dh's. But if you don't both like the same one between these two, I would start looking for a new name you both like and make sure he doesn't tell the rest of your family this time! Some random ideas that sort of feel or sound similar to me to what you are thinking of:

Adelaide
    Sylvia
    Sybil
    Allison
    Blair
    Avery
    Elodie
    Ada
    Nadia
  • mombodmombod member
    The only people with a say in this is you and you SO. That being said a name is somethung I feel like you both have to agree on so I think its back to the drawing board for you guys. 
  • tinsun428 said:
    I agree with you 100%. I didn't say anything and STILL call her "baby", but my SO ran wild with one of the names and told everyone we were naming her that when I wasn't even sure I wanted, too. *sigh*
    tinsun428 said:
    The toughest part is that he wants one name and I want the other.  :s

I have no idea what sort of conversations you had previously, but you two really should be on the same page about if and who you are telling prospective names to. And if you did have that convo and agreed to not tell and he told anyway, well, I'd be pretty upset with my H for going against something we agreed on. 

I think you two need to throw out both names and come up with something you can agree on. There were a number of names that either H or I liked and the other hated. So we didn't use any of those. We both really like our boy name we agreed on. I don't like our girl name quite as much, but it's a nice name that we both like pretty well and we could agree on. 

You still haven't come to an agreement and you're only 4 weeks max from having your baby, so I don't think you'll have much luck coming to an agreement on one of those two before the baby is born. 
  • momma2charmomma2char member
    edited June 2017
    tinsun428 said:
    I agree with you 100%. I didn't say anything and STILL call her "baby", but my SO ran wild with one of the names and told everyone we were naming her that when I wasn't even sure I wanted, too. *sigh*
    tinsun428 said:
    The toughest part is that he wants one name and I want the other.  :s

I have no idea what sort of conversations you had previously, but you two really should be on the same page about if and who you are telling prospective names to. And if you did have that convo and agreed to not tell and he told anyway, well, I'd be pretty upset with my H for going against something we agreed on. 

I think you two need to throw out both names and come up with something you can agree on. There were a number of names that either H or I liked and the other hated. So we didn't use any of those. We both really like our boy name we agreed on. I don't like our girl name quite as much, but it's a nice name that we both like pretty well and we could agree on. 

You still haven't come to an agreement and you're only 4 weeks max from having your baby, so I don't think you'll have much luck coming to an agreement on one of those two before the baby is born. 
    OP don't worry too much about how close you are to your due date and not having a name! I'm 40+1 today and my husband and I haven't 100% agreed on a name yet. Are you dead set against the name he chose, and he against yours? Could you take those names to the delivery room and after she is born, see what name she suits? That seems to be what we are doing now. I think it's important that you both like the name so even come up with some "backup" names that you both like just incase! 
  • That sounds perfect to me! I would even be willing to combine the two (Addison Sloane), but then her initials would be A.S.S.  :D
  • I agree with @momma2char just wait until baby girl is here and see what fits/what your heart tells you to do. Sorry this is even happening in the first place but someone will always have something to say about a name you choose no matter what. If you are still looking for name votes, I think Sloane is bad a## name and I have a friend who recently named her little girl that and it fits her really well :) 

Me: 31
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

• Going soft J17... :D
    Most of June 17 left! All that's left is the randos and newbs. 
  • sejicasejica member
    I'll second sleep deprived, but also didn't we have some regular posters discussing Sloane for name? I think I assumed it was one of them.
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • And some of us don't mind random posts and enjoy the ensuing discussions.