August 2017 Moms

Baby Gear Questions and Suggestions

Re: Baby Gear Questions and Suggestions

• @DeansGirl14 I agree that they are necessary. In the beginning you can get away with laying a towel on the counter since you're giving sponge baths, but eventually you'll want to be able to lay them in the tub or sink.  You could get a sling rather than a whole bath tub to save space, like this: https://t.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=69527886&gclid=CKLdoe7DhtQCFc1gfgodVcgMXw&camp=PLAPPCG-_-PID22029090:BRUS&cagpspn=plab_22029090&eESource=CAPLA_DF:69527886:TRUS
    Hmmm thank you! Inexpensive and looks easy to store, and tons of good reviews. :) 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14 I agree that they are necessary. In the beginning you can get away with laying a towel on the counter since you're giving sponge baths, but eventually you'll want to be able to lay them in the tub or sink.  You could get a sling rather than a whole bath tub to save space, like this: https://t.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=69527886&gclid=CKLdoe7DhtQCFc1gfgodVcgMXw&camp=PLAPPCG-_-PID22029090:BRUS&cagpspn=plab_22029090&eESource=CAPLA_DF:69527886:TRUS
    Hmmm thank you! Inexpensive and looks easy to store, and tons of good reviews. :) 
    I have no personal experience with it so I hope it's good! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Has anyone used the Comotomo baby bottles?
    In my personal experience you should not invest in bottles until baby is born. Buy one first. We went through about 5 brands before we found one my daughter did well with. Every baby is different. 
    Yes. DD was EBF for 6 months, and refused all bottles. We finally introduced the Comotomo bottle, and it's the only kind she took for months. They're great bottles. Expensive, but worth it for hard to transition babies. 
  • Does anyone recommend either the Angelcare mat or Owlet? Something to monitor the baby when it's sleeping in the crib. Wondering if that will help settle my mind or do the exact opposite in reality!

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • tova24tova24 member
    @Mango517 I've heard mixed reviews. Some people say they love the Owlet but it makes you hyper alert. I bought the Snuza, but we shall see if I actually use it. 
  • @Mango517 it's obviously a personal decision, but I'd never buy those and rely on technology to tell me that stuff. To me, it's helicopter parenting to the max. And a lot of pediatricians arent fans because you're relying on technology and not instinct. A lot of people will say "oh I'm not relying on it", but then they start to unknowingly. Unless your child has an actual medical issue I think they're completely unnecessary.

Clearly I'm very opinionated on this topic  :#
  • @Mango517 I have a friend who used the owlet for their son last year, and they loved it.  I think we might be borrowing it from them, becuase the new version is so expensive.  I dont know if I can justify that money on something that I might not even like.  I also dont want to become dependent on it, so Im not sure we will really use it at all.  
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Also fairly opinionated and against them as long as my baby is healthy.  The AAP doesn't recommend them and they're not FDA approved because they can't find any evidence that they minimize the risk of SIDS. 

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2017/01/24/Pediatricians-say-no-to-wearable-smartphone-baby-monitors/4181485293107/

My biggest concern is the false alarms - possibly having my baby undergo testing at the ER, when there's nothing wrong.

I do understand the reasons for wanting one though, and to each their own. I wanted to present some info for those looking; I think we get a little too technology happy these days.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @caity024 +1 for the concern about false alarms. I can't imagine being sleep deprived and jolting out of bed to an alarm that turns out to be nothing. Too stressful! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • tova24tova24 member
    @secicc12 that's why I'm hesitant about using my Snuza. It clips onto the diaper and detects movement/ breathing. If it doesn't detect it, it blares an alarm. If it's a false alarm, it not only will scare the crap out of me but literally scare the crap out of LO :neutral:
  • Thanks all for the input! Gave me a lot of good points to consider. I'm not 100% sure what we're going to do but I'm leaning away from getting one based on the info here.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    Maybe this is a dumb FTM question but...dishwasher basket...necessity or stupid item you wish you hadn't purchased?

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @kvh22 necessity for us. We had 2.  We hand washes and steamed bottles for the first 10 months, then switched to the dishwasher. We used Dr. Brown's and it was great for all those little pieces and pacifiers. Also, the little syringes you give meds with go in there really well. 
  • themrsthemrs member
    I babysat a boy who wore a snuza for every sleep and had a few false alarms and that thing was crazy. I've heard better things about the owlet but no experience with it. 
    H & I: Both 28
    Married: June 2015
    TTC #1: June 2016
    BFP: 11-24-16 ~ EDD 8-9-17
    IT'S A BOY!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kvh22 the dishwasher basket was nice to have with our old dishwasher (standard two rack). We just got a new dishwasher in the fall and it has the third rack. So now I don't think we need the basket. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @bumpybump we just got a dishwasher with a 3rd rack and I love it!
  • You guys! I finally started our registry with Amazon. It took us an hour to pick five items. At the rate we're going the registry will be done by the time he's in kindergarten.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Mango517 when I registered with DS, I made a Pinterest board and created it from that. Far less overwhelming that way.  Also, did you try the checklist on Amazon?
  • @Mango517 Lucies List was a huge help when we started ours! 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • I'm a hands on person, so when I did mine I went to the store and took pictures of everything I wanted then came home and added it to amazon.
  • JennyColadaJennyColada member
    edited June 2017
    I'm a hands on person, so when I did mine I went to the store and took pictures of everything I wanted then came home and added it to amazon.

Lurker here, but on the Amazon app you can also search for items by scanning a barcode. I do that all the time to price check, but it's also useful when you find a particular item in a physical store that you want to add to a list/registry on Amazon.
  • I sign up for MyRegistry.com baby registry. I am in love with it! I know a lot people love amazon and other great site. When I sign up with MyRegistry.com I am able to get the perks and discounts on the stores I love. Amazon does not allow me to be able to get this discount for example from Pottery Barn Kids. Which Pottery Barn Kids have a 20% completion discount and amazon has add $75 worth of items from Summer Infant for a chance to win $2,250 for your registry. There are so much more perks and I love it!!
     I found out from other moms who used other sites do not have a syn button. I really recommend any mom who is looking for a great registry try MyRegistry. I honestly made a mistake on my page and the customer service was so nice and helped me fixed my silly mistake. Plus it was an actual person I talked with on the phone. 
  • Anyone suggest a moses basket or DockATot? 

I would love something for around the house but I never used either for my first two so I know it's not totally needed. 
  • @pinkyswife FTM here, but I've heard great reviews about dock a tot. We have a similar one on our registry that's a little cheaper (Snuggle Me Organic) but I doubt anyone will get it since it's so expensive! 
  • @pinkyswife we just registered for a boppy lounger. I don't know much about the other things, but the boppy is cheaper than both things you listed. 
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
  • tova24tova24 member
    @pinkyswife I bought a Baby Delight Snuggle Nest. Dock a tot looked cool but the price was a little high for me. 
  • @mango517 we had an angel care monitor with our first. It can only be used in a crib, but I loved it. It's also a video monitor, so I didn't feel like I paid extra for it. It tracks the room temperature too, which I appreciated because some of our rooms can get much warmer/ colder than the others. It also helped me realize that the baby likes he room a little warmer. (He stirred a lot when the temperature dropped to a certain degree) 

we loved it and will use it with our second. 
  • AbbeyHAbbeyH member
    @littlebug2010 I freaking love the boppy lounger. Hate the original, but love the lounger. 
  • @AbbeyH Good to know!  I have seen it used a few times recently and DH asked what it was. I had to look it up, but we found it and registered for it.  We have a small space and didnt want to get too much bulky stuff.  Plus its super cute!
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • lewlivlewliv member
    Thoughts on boppy lounger? Is it a must? 
  • @lewliv didn't have one for DD and we were fine so I'd say it's not a must. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker