January 2018 Moms
Options

Rh -

Anyone else here have a negative blood type ? I am A- and my husband can't remember his but his mom thinks he is B+. 

I havent had had my first appt yet so not sure what this will entail but I find it interesting to think that without modern medicine my husband and I might not be able to have healthy children together. At least after the first one and my body has developed antibodies. 

I know we will have to get DH's blood type confirmed. Anyone else know what other things to be prepared for ? Someone mentioned in another post that if you have a negative blood type and have any bleeding during pregnancy get it checked out asap as it could be evidence of your body reacting to a + baby. 

Re: Rh -

• Options
    You may need to have a needle or two done during pregnancy, my friend is a negative blood type and her first pregnancy was perfectly fine but her second she had a rough go with bleeding and stuff but baby is healthy !
  • Options
    You may wish to repost this in the pregnancy questions/concerns thread for more traffic/responses.
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm Rh- and we don't know my husband's blood type. My OB doesn't even care--they give the rhogam shot no matter what if mom is -. I had it with my previous two pregnancies, its NBD. Just a little shot in the bum ;)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I've had friends go through the same, just a shot or two and they were fine. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    i'm A- and with my son i had to have the RhoGam shots. One is before delivery and in your bum, and the other one is after you deliver in your arm (i think). it's no big deal! I just know that if you have any bleeding at all you need to call your Dr ASAP, because that is the first thing the nurses always say to me when they give my my beta updates :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm B-, we were able to prove that my husband is also B- and they didn't make me have a shot. They would've made me but I brought paperwork proving his blood type to the first appointment. I REALLY don't like needles. We found out DS is B- as well!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm O neg, and my wife (who donated the egg) is O pos, so I'll get the shots.

I have about 5 sharps containers full of needles I've used to get and stay pregnant. I'm not scared of these shots.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Options
    AnyMaxAnyMax member
    Doesn't entail much at all... we never had to have H's blood type confirmed (though we already know I am A- and he is A+), and even with having had miscarriages, it has never affected my healthy pregnancies.

Without bleeding, a shot around 28 weeks, and another after delivery if baby is + blood type.

With bleeding, definitely check in with your doc, they'll probably give a dose to be safe. 

• Options
    With my first they just gave me the shot while I was pregnant then after I had her. 
  • Options
    I have O negative and my husband has A positive. I had the Rhogam shot I think around 30 weeks and another after my son was born. It's really no big deal, I hate needles too but it's about the same as any old vaccine you receive at a Dr's office. My son ended up having O positive blood type so he has a combo of mine and my husband's which I thought was neat.
  • Options
    Also, they had me carry a card with me in my wallet that said I received the Rhogam shot in case you have some sort of emergency and need to be hospitalized, the doctors at the hospital will want to know that info
  • Options
    I had to do this with my DD. OB didn't even ask what her dad's blood type was. The fact that mine is negative was enough for them. I never had any bleedING with her, thankfully and had the shots, NBD. Kinda nice to know what to expect with this one!
  • Options
    I am a A- and my husband is 0+. I had a small bleed of dark blood last week and they gave me an anti d injection. I am now 9w2d and all is going well. They said I will have two more injections through the pregnancy. They weren't too concerned so i wouldn't worry, the injections will make sure everything is okay :)
  • Options
    You just have to get a shot towarda the end of your pregnancy to ensure that theres + antibodies in there to protect your - :)

We weren't sure if my DH was - or +, so we just opted for the shot because I am A-. This go around, we now know that my DH is O- so no shot needed!
  • Options
    interestingly there are alot of us on here that are A- even though it is one of the less common blood types!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm O- and because we did IVF,  we know my husband is +. I started bleeding last Thursday and go in tomorrow am for a Rhogam shot. If all ends well I'll get one at 28 weeks.and if baby's blood tested at delivery is + I'll get a third.  It's funny to think it's too protect another subsequent pregnancy in case that baby was neg like me.

Married: October 2014

Me: 35 DH: 39

TTC since November 2014

Diagnosis: Anovulation from PCOSish without syndrome, Male factors - low motility and morphology issues

April-Sept. 2015 - Clomid and TI - BFN

Dec. 2015- HSG - Clear tubes

Jan., Feb., March 2016 - Letrozole 7.5mg and TI with HCG trigger= BFN

April, May, June 2016 - Letrozole 7.5mg and IUI with HCG trigger= BFN

September 2016 - IVF round #1;ER 9/26 with ICSI on 14 eggs - developed mild OHSS. 

Sept 2016 - 12 non-PGS embryos frozen (5 5AAs)

FET #1 Jan 16, 2017 - BFP!- MC at 6W5d

FET #2 May 8, 2017 - BFP! EDD 1-24-2018

• Options
    The problem with being RH- is that you have to be vigilant to prevent sensitization to the RH factor, which can happen when your Rh- blood mixes with fetal Rh+ blood. Rh is a protein that is present on some people's blood cells and not others. If you get sensitized, then your body recognizes any subsequent pregnancy as a foreign body, and antibodies can cross the placenta and attack fetal blood cells. The treatment options when this happens aren't great, but people do have successful pregnancies.

The good news is that vigilance can prevent sensitization in almost every case. Rhogam shots are antibodies to the Rh protein, meaning that they prevent your own body from developing them. The typical treatment in the US is a shot in the second trimester and another after birth - in Europe they skip the second trimester one - in addition to a shot in response to any earlier bleeding episode. the antibodies can linger in your blood stream for a few weeks, so you won't need to repeat them if you have more bleeding. It's a very low risk shot, which is why most doctors will give it to you without testing your husband's blood type. Also they know that hubby isn't always daddy, so they just try to sidestep that issue. ;-) 

This is a good article:
    https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-complications/rh-factor/
    ***TW***
    DD born April 2015 after many rounds of IVF and losses.

After much more of the same...