Pregnant after IF

Randoms- Week of May 29th

byrnemebyrneme member
edited May 2017 in Pregnant after IF
Have any thoughts, questions, feelings, fears? Spill them here!

This is a good place to ask questions to a broader audience than the weekly trimester check-ins so those with experience can chime in!
*** TW**

Me: 37, DH:39
Met: 2002 | Married: 2004 | TTC since January 2014
July 2015: MMC @ 9 wks | August 2015: Chemical
March, April, May & June 2016: Medicated IUIs | BFN 
August 2016: Started Stims 8/22
September 2016: Egg Retrieval 9/4 | 13 Mature Eggs | 10 Fertilized | 3 Blastocytes | 1 PGS Normal Embaby 
November 7, 2016: FET - BFP!
EDD 7/25/17
Zoey Alexis born 7/25/17 @ 12:39 PM | 7lbs 14oz | 19 inches

Re: Randoms- Week of May 29th

• Ok so this falls in "random" I think... Anyone had any luck ordering a full set of baby furniture from Target?  We ordered the crib and matching changing table/dresser combo, LOVE them, but the bed and toddler rails (crib is convertible), bookshelf, and a couple other minor items have been unavailable or only available in the wrong color, and Target isn't very easy to contact about "when will this stuff ever be in stock again?"  The dresser is already in and assembled, plus we love the color on this set and the price was right, so it's not going back, but it's just frustrating having to stalk Target's website (of course none of it is available in stores) and hope for the best... I guess it's a good thing we started so early.
  • byrnemebyrneme member
    OMG @sasha29-2 , we went through the EXACT same issues. What I can suggest is to create a registry specifically for the furniture (if you aren't registering at Target) so you can deal with the registry help desk vs. normal customer service. If I had to guess you are going for the Simmons in Rustic Grey?? We were able to get exactly what you did and then had to stalk for the remaining items but the registry folks were able to give me a date range (and confirm that they were NOT discontinued, just popular) for when things like the bookcase, toddler rail and bed conversion kit would be in. We finally got all of our pieces and it was worth the stress/wait/stalking because I'm in love with them :)
    *** TW**

September 2016: Egg Retrieval 9/4 | 13 Mature Eggs | 10 Fertilized | 3 Blastocytes | 1 PGS Normal Embaby 
    EDD 7/25/17
  • Loading the player...
  • @byrneme LOL yep, that's the set! I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it, and now that we have the one piece in and saw how good it looks with the grass green walls, I'm not giving up on it, it's just a frustrating experience. Good call on the registry, I wasn't planning on registering at Target cause I heard they were kind of a pain in the neck, but I'll do the registry for the furniture just to get access to that customer service team. Thanks!
  • byrnemebyrneme member
    Sure thing. And you can cheat the system too for Target to get your completion coupon early BTW. Make your due date more than 31 days out and you'll get your coupon in 30 days (despite the link below it doesn't take time & work). Also, the pack you get for signing up is pretty cool too. Free stuff always is!  https://slickdeals.net/f/8583562-how-to-save-15-off-of-almost-anything-at-target-using-registry-coupons-takes-time-and-work 
    *** TW**

EDD 7/25/17
  • Hi all! I'm new to this board. I'm about 5 weeks pregnant via IVF. I know it's super early in my pregnancy and many things can change in the next few weeks. I'm trying to steer my thoughts away from the negative possibilities by thinking about the near future. I've had a burning question on my mind for a while, but I'm not sure posting it on the infertility board would be good, so I thought I'd ask here!

I'm 39 years old. If I'm lucky enough to have this pregnancy continue, I'll be 40 when I give birth. This will be my first child and like I mentioned above, I did IVF to get pregnant. I would love to have a midwife deliver my baby, or at least have a very open OB who would allow me to have a natural vaginal birth without medical intervention. I know my Dr. will help determine my needs, but I'm curious what others think, esp. if you've been in a similar situation.

Does it seem likely that I will get to have a natural birth considering my age and going through IVF? I've heard that IVF pregnancies are automatically considered higher risk, but not sure there's any truth to that. I'd love to hear some stories or read any researched info on the topic if anyone has leads.

Thanks a bunch, and I hope I'll be joining you through my pregnancy!
  • Kp214Kp214 member
    @Sugarbreak congratulations on your pregnancy!  I don't know about the delivery part of your question, but I was told by my OB that even though I had to do ivf to get pregnant, that the pregnancy would be considered normal unless something indicated otherwise as the pregnancy progressed.  I haven't had any issues that would lead my OB to suggest this isn't a high risk pregnancy.  I hadn't heard that about ivf leading to a high risk pregnancy but did ask at the first appt if anything about my history conceiving would suggest it.  I hope this gives you some peace of mind.  Was it just ivf pregnancies in general that you heard could be high risk or possibly due to multiples or other factors in addition to ivf?
    Me:32 DH:36
    Me: DOR, poor egg quality, MTHFR
    DH: MFI
    TTC since 3/2014
    2015: 3 IUI's-BFN
    12/2015: 1st IVF cycle-(9 follicles retrieved, 5 mature, 3 fertilized w/ICSI, transferred 1 excellent and 1 good embryo on day 3)-chemical pregnancy
    3/2016: 2nd IVF cycle- canceled (3 follicles retrieved, 3 mature, all fertilized w/ICSI, 1 fragmented, 2 arrested) 
    3/2016: RE suggested donor eggs- taking an ivf break and to supplement 
    9/2016: 3rd ivf cycle-cancelled due to early ovulation
    Oct./Nov 2016: 4th ivf cycle- EPP-AFC:5, retrieved 10, 10 mature, 8 fertilized with ICSI, 6 blastocysts biopsied and frozen. 3 CCS normal embryos
    1/9/17: transferred 1 embryo-BFP 1/16
    1/18/17: beta #1-104
    1/20/17: beta #2-174
    2/2/17: first u/s, heartbeat of 107 at 6w1d
    7/20/17: baby boy born at 30+3 via emergency c-section 

• Congratulations @Sugarbreak! Similar to @kp214, I can't answer on the delivery part but my doctor(s) have not made any indication that my pregnancy via IVF coupled with me being of AMA (I'm 37) is high risk There are a few things they have done differently than my friends who conceived naturally and/or younger. I've had a couple more u/s (which I loved), they'll do Non Stress Tests every other week starting at 36 weeks and my pregnancy is noted as IVF but, beyond that, I feel it's been very normal. I think your doctor will be able to answer your delivery questions but I know no reason you wouldn't be able to deliver naturally if that is your desire. You just have to keep in mind that it may not work out that way since your baby will be calling the shots :) My goal is deliver vaginally but I know that, after two hours of pushing, my OB will push for a c-section. One of the OBs in the practice (we see them all here vs. one) was very much for inducing me at 39 weeks due to my age but the next one I asked said that they can wait until 41 and just do weekly NSTs starting at 39. Just remember, you are the 'customer' but they definitely want the best for you in terms of care/health. It's a team effort. Best of luck!
    *** TW**

EDD 7/25/17
  • @kp214 @byrneme thank you both so much and also congratulations on your pregnancies too!

I have an appointment with my PCP tomorrow (trying to sneak in a beta since my clinic only does 2), so I'll be bringing this up with her. It is reassuring to hear that you guys weren't lumped into high risk just because of IVF. 

@byrneme do you have a main OB who's the ultimate call on your delivery? 

@kp214 I forget the sources where I'd seen IVF=high risk stuff. I believe some were saying all IVF pregnancies in general and some were calling out the multiples, which makes sense. 
  • @Sugarbreak, no - it's really weird here in Des Moines. You see all doctors in the practice and whomever is on call is on call. I don't mind it but it's really bothering my mom lol. I've seen most of them and, honestly, it's the nurses that do so much of the work so I really don't have a problem with it.  Sorry - I forgot to mention that one of the u/s is a fetal echo scan of the heart done at 22 weeks as IVF babies are slightly higher risk for heart defects. 
    *** TW**

EDD 7/25/17
  • Congrats @Sugarbreak! I was 39 at time of delivery and my ob treated it like a normal pregnancy. I didn't have additional monitoring and could come up with my own birth plan. The only thing was that they wouldn't let me go past 40 weeks (she came 2 weeks early so no biggie). Wish you all the best with your pregnancy and congrats again! 
    ******TW*****
    Me 39 DH44
    Married 8/2/14
    TTC 9/14
    Dx: PCOS, blocked L fallopian tube, suspect poor egg quality
    MFI (low #, poor morphology)
    IVF #1 9/15 Failed
    IVF #2 12/15 Failed
    1st DE FET  5/16-BFN :(
    2nd DE FET 7/18-BFP :)
    8/17 Baby HR 140/min EDD 4/6/17
  • ARB425ARB425 member
    @byrneme @sasha29-2 we went with the same furniture set, just the lighter color. I've been waiting for the conversion kit to come in stock but my husband was able to figure out it could be put on a standard metal frame if we weren't able to find it in stock. I'll continue to keep checking but it seems it is just a hot seller for target.

My baby shower is this weekend. I'm starting to get a little anxious on how to sort everything. It doesn't help that much isn't purchased off my registry(I know tons of people are last minute shoppers) and I have a feeling we may be returning lots of items. Any tips of how you sorted items post baby shower? 
  • @ARB425 I kinda figured something like that could be done in a pinch, I just hoped someone would confirm, so thanks :) I've been stalking the website, hopefully we get lucky for at least the toddler rail and the bookshelf (DH wants to put shelves on the wall, but I'm kinda not feeling that even though part of me knows it would be a more efficient use of space). Honestly, it'd be kind of nice not to have to store something as large as the conversion kit for years and years til we needed it, and metal frames are cheap. @Sugarbreak I'm not AMA (I'm 33) and we didn't have IVF, just IUI, but my OB basically told me that they try to treat everyone like a normal pregnancy unless there's a specific reason not to beyond the way you got pregnant. That said, they do send everyone who had intervention to get pregnant to MFM, just to establish the relationship (the reasoning is it's easier to get an appointment quickly as an existing patient than as a new patient, so they establish the relationship for the NIPT testing and then the vast majority of women never see MFM again). I think the way IVF/AMA pregnancies are treated just varies wildly depending on the doctor/practice. If you don't like the way your practice is handling your pregnancy, you can most likely find a new one.
  • @ARB425 yay for a baby shower! I was so excited for all the items we received during mine, but then quickly realized that half of them weren't needed or a similar item would have been better. So hold on to all the gift receipts and boxes. Once my baby came, I ended up exchanging or returning half of the stuff we got. Some of the items just didn't work for him, so you have to see what your baby likes too. My living room looked like Amazon threw up all over it lol...I just piled everything into one corner and kept sorting and re-sorting when I needed items. I sorted all clothes and toys by age, put away all the items I didn't need until later on and kept only necessities around that I would need to use immediately. 
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• Kp214Kp214 member
    Has anyone considered newborn pictures?  What about baby plan packages for newborn, 3, 6, and 9 months, and 1 year?  
    TTC since 3/2014
    12/2015: 1st IVF cycle-(9 follicles retrieved, 5 mature, 3 fertilized w/ICSI, transferred 1 excellent and 1 good embryo on day 3)-chemical pregnancy
    3/2016: 2nd IVF cycle- canceled (3 follicles retrieved, 3 mature, all fertilized w/ICSI, 1 fragmented, 2 arrested) 
    Oct./Nov 2016: 4th ivf cycle- EPP-AFC:5, retrieved 10, 10 mature, 8 fertilized with ICSI, 6 blastocysts biopsied and frozen. 3 CCS normal embryos

• tvh1982tvh1982 member
    edited June 2017
    I didn't do newborn pictures @kp214, but I do regret it.
    They are tiny just oh so little.
    Of course I've tons of pictures, but some 'proper' once would be nice.

I do make my own weekly photo in the same outfit. I saw on Pinterest someone that made monthly pictures in the laundry hamper as to see how much they grow.

So I would recommend doing so for newborn pictures. And the package plan does sound lovely. If I only knew about that!

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• @Kp214 - we did a package that is from bump to birthday and includes maternity photos, newborn and pics at 3, 6, 9 and 12. SO EXCITED for them!
    *** TW**

EDD 7/25/17
  • @Kp214 definitely newborn photos! We did newborn, 6 and 12 month and then I did weekly on my own. They grow and change SO MUCH that first year, it's great to capture it :)

with my daughter I wish I'd had more with me in them, so I definitely recommend some family shots too. I take tons of my husband and daughter but he is terrible taking any of us.
  • Kp214Kp214 member
    @tvh1982 @byrneme @Polythene Pam thank you for your input. I'll talk with DH, but I really think I'll go with the baby photo plan. I would rather have the extra pics than regret not. Thanks!
    TTC since 3/2014

• @2legbaby @sasha29-2 Thanks for chiming in, ladies. I felt better prepared to talk with my PCP today after reading everyone's input. She put me at ease as well and said I would not be considered high risk unless anything troubling is discovered along the way. She did say that they would probably induce at 40 weeks.

Now to sit and wait for my 3rd beta results and the first US (12 days away)....
  • For some reason I missed your question @sugarbreak, but glad your mind is at ease. 
    As to do a little input, as soon as I had my BFP on a POAS  my pregnancy got considered normal, I didn't even get a beta.
    As for your age, my friend and my mum where 38 when pregnant and both delivered 'naturally'. My friend had even a butt first baby, so it's possible.
    But keep in mind that things not always go as planned. I was planing on a home delivery (am from the Netherlands) but was considered high risk in the end (my darling LO decided moving around wasn't fun anymore, she was ok with just a random kick) So to avoid a possible 'going to the hospital fast, I had to change my 'plan'. Which was kinda tough, but my midwife was good at putting me at ease.
    (all went well, my LO was healthy and full of life, she just took a two week break in the womb)

Congratulations on your BFP and enjoy your first ultrasound!

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• @tvh1982 Thank you! Good to hear that everything went well with your daughter!

I got my 3rd beta last Friday and it was 3,007 at 17 dpt. So that's very promising. I hope next Wednesday my ultrasound brings more good news.