February 2017 Moms
Options

Twat Waffle Tuesday

Re: Twat Waffle Tuesday

• Options
    I've got one! 

Every Memorial Day my in-laws go camping and have a big cookout at the campgrounds. Well the day of the cookout it was pouring down rain and cooler than normal, but we decided to take DD anyway for a few hours since almost all the family was going to be there. I made sure she was dressed appropriately (long sleeves, pants, and socks) and had an extra blanket for warmth.

We get there and it's pouring! We unload DD and all of the things into the camper (diaper bag, pump bag etc.) and I'm deciding whether I should take her straight to the camper or if she will be ok under one of the canopies for a few minutes. I decided to be social for a bit and take her over to the canopy where everyone else is. Over at the canopy is a family friend that tends to be confrontational with people. She also had her two grandkids with her. 

After a few minutes of "hello's" and small talk with everyone, I decided that I wanted DD in the camper. I tell H that I might take DD to the camper because I don't want her catching a cold. Well the family friend literally rolled her eyes at me and said "She won't catch a cold, babies need to be exposed to things! You can't protect them forever!" I just kind of looked at her in disbelief and didn't say a word...like WTF lady!

Looking back, now I'm just like, UMMM...excuse me?! That is MY daughter and I will do what I can to prevent her from getting sick! She is already exposed to things at day care and I can't control that, but I can control her getting sick (or not) at a social gathering that we didn't have to be at. This lady isn't the one that has to take my kid to the doctor or take off of work if my kid is sick! I know I can be a little crazy about things, but I thought trying to prevent a cold was actually reasonable.

Meanwhile, her youngest grandkid is wearing just a onesie (no pants or socks) and the other one is literally playing in the mud in a short sleeve shirt and no jacket. Maybe she should take a look at her own grandkids before she judges how I take care of my kid! Thank goodness she left shortly after! 

Rant over! Lol
  • Options
    My TW is the lady sitting in front of my DD at the movies last night. DD is 7 and our "old soul". She accidentally bumped the lady's seat 1 time as she was getting up to go to the bathroom. She promptly apologized for her mistake but the lady went to theatre staff and complained about her. Staff came to talk to us right at the end of the movie and it really upset my daughter. It was an accident that happened 1 time and she apologized for it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @chef'swife I would have been so angry about the situation! If it were me, I would have been so appreciative and not cared at all if a kid came to me to apologize for an honest mistake that happened one time, since many kids these days are disrespectful and rude. But I guess some adults don't care  :|
  • Options
    @ColeBug89 And it was a Disney movie we were watching, so it's not like the lady should have been expecting a theater without children. I'll be the first to admit when my kid does something wrong, but it was an accident and she promptly apologized for her mistake. She was still concerned about it this morning before school so we had a chat about how sometimes people are just having a bad day or feeling grumpy and maybe that's why it was a big deal to her. 
  • Options
    I know the feeling about unsolicited advice, @marriedhamstermom! I don't know about you, but I feel like I get it a lot because I'm a FTM and everyone else is an "expert" because they've been there and done that!

I'll admit I'm kind of clueless when it comes to babies, but I try to do research and try to follow doctor/research-based recommendations. I'm just waiting until DD is a preschooler/school age kid and people try to give me advice! Preschool/school age is my area of expertise (7 years in college learning about kids and I work with them) so thanks but no thanks on the outdated advice haha.
  • Options
    @ColeBug89 I always respond to people like that lady by saying "well I can try" it seems so backwards to me. I'm baffled how someone who doesn't have their kids in weather appropriate clothing could possibly comment about a mother trying to keep her baby from possibly getting sick. Several weeks ago, while it was still colder here, I saw a group of people dressed in coats leaving the store, but they had a baby that was wobbling in the seat of the cart, and wearing a cute short sleeved outfit. How can it be so hard to understand, if you need a coat, so does your baby. 

@chef'swife that's sad for your daughter. It sounds like you handled it well this morning, but it's terrible that her apology wasn't good enough. I feel like you should just expect people to bump your seat or walk in front of you at a movie theater. It's bizarre that she would make a complaint over that. It's more annoying to me when people talk throughout a movie. 

@marriedhamstermom I think it's important to find quality bonding time with your spouse, but when we had our oldest, who is 10 now, we transitioned to finding things we could all do together. We heard the same things about "needing" alone time together. We rarely ever got a sitter, and still dont get one often now (seriously like once a year). I know it's a big deal to some people, but if it works for you guys to do things your way, definitely don't let it get in your head. We have always found things for us all to do and I think we are just fine. We did a lot of bowling and miniature golf with the kids. And drive ins too. Soon the little ones will be going to sleep earlier and for all night. We always used to put the kids to bed and curl up and watch a movie at home. Its still alone time even if we were staying home.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I also have a TW today. It's my brother in law. Yesterday he invited us out to his girlfriend's house. Just hanging out, and grilling. Well his girlfriend has a 3 year old son. The little kid kept coming up and "petting" Austin. He was really fascinated with him. So the girlfriend said to my brother in law "hey did you see how much he likes the baby?" And my brother in law said "Yeah, more than I do". My head jerked up, and then he was like "no, I like austin" then rambled a bunch of other crap to try and change the topic, but my head went into a fog. There I was, holding what I feel is the sweetest baby in the world, who was happy and smiling at everyone, and my jerk brother in law makes such a rude jackass remark. I looked down at Austin and just started crying. They didn't see me because they got wrapped up chasing her toddler down since he took off with a couple of Austin's toys, but I was so angry. My husband saw me but thought it was a meltdown because of my anxiety. After we left, I told him what happened, and he thinks it wasn't meant how I took it, but I'm not really sure how else to take it. I guess his girlfriend has been pestering him about a baby on purpose because he doesn't want one yet. They are planning a wedding in Sept of 2018 and he wants to do things in the "right order" ( even though he plans on moving in with her this summer). So my husband thinks it was more of a remark back to her since she's been bugging him about a baby, but I still think he needs to know his audience and think before he speaks.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Wow @kswiger06, I'm sorry about your brother-in-laws comment! Even if he didn't mean it personally against Austin that's still a crappy thing to say regardless! I would have been upset too!
  • Options
    @kswiger06 thank you, I'm glad you understand! Family is the most important thing to DH and I so I like the idea of spending time out together as a family and then making alone time for the two of us at home. 

Also im so sorry for your BILs comment. I would have felt so hurt and betrayed too. Even if he didn't mean it that isn't an ok thing to say. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)