October 2017 Moms

Team Green Mamas Halfway-ish Checkin

Hey Team Green ladies! I know we're all spread out through different check-ins, but I thought since most/some of the ladies have found out what they're having, we could catch up on how we're preparing for our surprises! 

1. How many weeks are you? Have you had your anatomy scan? If so, was it hard to resist finding out baby's sex? 

2. How are others reacting when you tell them you're not finding out? 

3. What made you and SO decide to be surprised? If you're a STM, did you find out with your others?

4. What's the hardest part of preparing for baby for you with not knowing the gender?

5. Nursery/shower themes & preferred gender neutral color schemes? 

Re: Team Green Mamas Halfway-ish Checkin

• 1. How many weeks are you? Have you had your anatomy scan? If so, was it hard to resist finding out baby's sex? 19+1 - Yes, we had our anatomy scan last week - we told the tech we didn't want to know and she didn't even venture down that way to try to find out! Last time our tech knew what it was and I was always so nervous it would slip or something - either to a doctor or nurse or something. But this time there is no chance of anyone knowing! 

We didn't find out last time so people we knew before / family aren't surprised. People we've met since then think we're insane. Which...I feel like for the second one it's less insane. We have plenty of gender neutral clothes/stuff and plenty of girl stuff if it ends up being another girl. We have a nephew who's almost 4 and we've been promised his old clothes if it's a boy so I'm feeling pretty prepared either way.

3. What made you and SO decide to be surprised? If you're a STM, did you find out with your others? I kind of trumped the decision the first round - DH really wanted to know. But then I think he had so much fun with it the first time that it wasn't even a discussion this time. My parents will officially get all of their grandchildren as surprises - we haven't/aren't finding out and my brother and his wife didn't find out with any of theirs, either.

4. What's the hardest part of preparing for baby for you with not knowing the gender? Honestly, not much this time. Like I said, we're pretty covered either way. 

With DD we had a green painted room and we decorated with pink highlights once she was born. We're in a new house this time and the guest room is a light brown so we'll keep it that color for now. Once this baby gets old enough, it can choose their paint color (DD got to chose her paint color when we moved in last year).
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker

• 1. How many weeks are you? Have you had your anatomy scan? If so, was it hard to resist finding out baby's sex? 17w4d! My anatomy Scan is June 6th and I imagine it's going to be a little tough to get through it without asking what it is!

They think I'm nuts and want me to find out but I love driving people crazy. Luckily both of our parents didn't find out with their kids so both sets of grandparents are fine with it (anxious though!)

3. What made you and SO decide to be surprised? If you're a STM, did you find out with your others? I always wanted to wait. DH wanted to find out. I convinced him early on though. I think what convinced him was when I told him he would get to be the one to walk out into the waiting room and tell our parents and was like how cool would that be?!

4. What's the hardest part of preparing for baby for you with not knowing the gender? eh, nothing really! I think it's just hard seeing other people find out! It gives me the itch!

Think I'm going to do beige walls with a green/yellow/brown jungle theme. I'm still undecided though. 

@natleilynn I feel like for the second it's more insane! I intend on finding out with the second so we know what we've got going into it. But maybe after waiting and seeing how awesome it is to wait I'll change my mind!
  • Loading the player...
  • shan24shan24 member
    1. How many weeks are you? Have you had your anatomy scan? If so, was it hard to resist finding out baby's sex? 19+4. Our anatomy scan is June 2. Our hospital refuses to tell you the sex, so no resisting needed. 

My mom and my sister are losing their minds!  They're basically demanding we go to a private clinic to find out!

3. What made you and SO decide to be surprised? If you're a STM, did you find out with your others? Our hospital won't tell you the sex. We can go to a private clinic and pay, but SO is a bit of a money hoarder and didn't see the point in paying for something not medically necessary (it would be an ultrasound *just* to find out the sex). I didn't have a strong opinion either way, so here we are!

4. What's the hardest part of preparing for baby for you with not knowing the gender? We didn't find out with DS, so we're mostly prepared now. 

When we bought our house, the second bedroom was already painted green and yellow, so we kept it that way. My plan is for the two kids to share a room, so I'd like to repaint in a colour that is appropriate for a little boy, but still be able to decorate for a little girl, too.  
  • @shan24 why does the hospital refuse to tell you the sex? Lol. Shouldnt that be your decision?
  • shan24shan24 member
    @dumbledoredies I have no idea. Apparently they don't even note it on my chart. One doc told me that the ultrasound techs were feeling pressure to determine the sex even when it was difficult to see and spending too much time looking (and backing up all other appointments). Another doc told me that there was an issue with a tech getting it wrong and the parents flipped out. Either way, I think it's stupid. 
  • @shan24 well I guess those reasons are legit but then... just get better at it? No other hospitals seem to have an issue lol. But that sucks if you want to find out!! Who wants to fork put extra money during this time? Not me!
  • shan24shan24 member
    @dumbledoredies I don't understand why they can just have some kind of disclaimer that they'll tell you the sex of they see it and they take no responsibility of they're wrong. It would take 15 seconds to tell patients that. 

I guess we're kinda "lucky", though. There are hospitals in my province where they won't let dads in for the scan. 
  • @dumbledoredies I think you might changed your mind :wink: Everyone I know who went team green the first round went team green the second, too. But to each their own! I think it's so much fun!
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @natleilynn ah! I guess we will see :)
  • 1. How many weeks are you? Have you had your anatomy scan? If so, was it hard to resist finding out baby's sex? 20+5. AS is June 14. I'm not tempted one bit! Slightly more curious this time since I don't have a feeling one way or another. 

We didn't find out with DD, so nobody is shocked. Most people are happy we're not finding out. In the world we live in it is so nice to be able to have one surprise. 

3. What made you and SO decide to be surprised? If you're a STM, did you find out with your others? I've never wanted to. I don't really believe in it (not a medical necessity). I feel if we were meant to know, we would know. DH wanted to know the first time but wasn't adamant. He ended up loving the surprise. He hasn't said too much about it this time. It's also the only beautiful thing in life that can be a TRUE surprise!

4. What's the hardest part of preparing for baby for you with not knowing the gender? I haven't felt anything to be difficult. One point, however, it's a little harder to find clothes that are GN! Since most people find out, a lot of the clothes are geared toward the sees. I'm loving the anticipation and wonder. With DD I felt I could not have been more prepared. Even more so this time.

Our nursery is a jungle theme so that will stay the same since DD is getting her new very girly big girl (14 month old) room right away. We try to pick up as much GN NB clothes as we can find. Once baby is born it's easy to get specific clothes. We have nearly a full set of boy and girl clothes so I'm not panicked! 

Love that there's a board for this! Feels rare to not know the gender!
  • 1. How many weeks are you? Have you had your anatomy scan? If so, was it hard to resist finding out baby's sex?  I'll be 21 weeks tomorrow. We had the AS but we just turned our heads when they told us to. It's not hard to resist. 

2. How are others reacting when you tell them you're not finding out?  People want to know!  Lol. But this is baby #3 and I didn't find out with my other 2, so they shouldn't be surprised. 

3. What made you and SO decide to be surprised? If you're a STM, did you find out with your others?  I did not find out with my others. 

4. What's the hardest part of preparing for baby for you with not knowing the gender? Nothing is hard. I've done it before and I love and talk to this baby no matter the gender. I already have 2 boys, so I'm anxious to see if I will lose my boymom status or not. 

5. Nursery/shower themes & preferred gender neutral color schemes?  For the nursery I haven't really thought about it too much. Same for shower. I really just need gear, diapers, wipes and gift cards. Lol.  We haven't registered yet, so we should get on that soon. 
  • 1. How many weeks are you? Have you had your anatomy scan? If so, was it hard to resist finding out baby's sex? 17 weeks. Anatomy scan is in 2 weeks time. 

2. How are others reacting when you tell them you're not finding out? "Can you have your doc write it down on a piece of paper so I can know????"

3. What made you and SO decide to be surprised? If you're a STM, did you find out with your others? We found out with our first so decided to let this time be a surprise 

4. What's the hardest part of preparing for baby for you with not knowing the gender? Eh, nothing really. 

5. Nursery/shower themes & preferred gender neutral color schemes? Baby will be sharing a room with our son for the first few years so he/she will be in a batman themed room lol