2nd Trimester
Options

Terrible acid reflux - anyone else?!

Adoc86Adoc86 member
edited April 2017 in 2nd Trimester
Hi guys,

I'm currently 25 weeks pregnant with my first little one and for about the past 2.5 months have had the absolute worst acid reflux/GERD to the point that it's causing me to cough incessantly and I'm absolutely miserable. I literally hack all day long and cannot stop. Sometimes I have the normal acid burning sensation, but the majority of the time it's just coughing. I don't eat a lot of fried foods or sweets that typically trigger acid reflux and I've never had it prior to pregnancy. It just seems like everything triggers it. Anyone else experience this?! I know reflux is a common pregnancy symptom, but I've never known any pregnant women that coughed nonstop like this. It's to the point that it's making me incontinent bc I'm coughing so much and so hard.

Because of another health condition I have I can't take any proton pump inhibitors (which pretty much all reflux meds fall into this category). I've been trying to eat foods that naturally neutralize stomach acid (green vegetables, apples, almonds) and it does help, but I can't ONLY eat those things. If anyone else has struggled with this and found some type of solution aside from PPI medications id love to hear it! My doctors have no real recommendations at this point  :(

Me: 30 DH:30
No kids yet
DH: Diagnosed with Testicular Cancer in 12/15 resulting in right orchiectomy &one round of BEP chemo. Banked sperm prior to treatment. Not enough in storage to risk on IUI so encouraged to go right to IVF w/ICSI.
Together since 2001. Married 10/2013
10/24/16 - Began stims (menopur & gonal f) for 1st round of IVF on high responder antagonist protocol.
11/5/16 - Lupron trigger.
11/7/16 - 13 eggs retrieved; 8 mature; 5 fertilized
11/12/16 - 5 day ET of 1 hatching embryo
Beta scheduled for 11/28!

11/21 BFP!

Due July 31

Re: Terrible acid reflux - anyone else?!

• Options
    I have terrible heartburn and I eat a pickle when it is really bad.  Something about the vinegar reacts with the acid and takes it away.  Not sure if it will work for you but worth a try. I know how frustrating it can be when nothing works.
  • Options
    There are two main classes of oral antacids: PPIs and H2 blockers. PPIs are you "zole"s (pantoptazole, omeprazole, etc) and then then H2s are "dine"s - famotidine, ranitidine, etc. so if you can, I would recommend getting some Zantac (ranitidine) OTC to try. You'd want to talk to your doctor. But I've been on 150mg BID which was approved by my doc. Good luck - I won't lie, I'm 38 weeks and it's not gotten better! 

Also want to watch natural remedies and Tums. Baking soda is common but not proven safe in pregnancy and there is such a thing as too many Tums! Otherwise, sleeping somewhat upright/inclined with several pillows should help some
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Zantac was recommended to me, as well as Tums.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    My midwife suggested papaya extract pills and they work great! 
  • Options
    I have it too, really bad (almost 18 weeks). Ranitidine/Zantac helps quite a bit, but eating smaller meals and avoiding certain foods is kind of helping. Good luck!
  • Options
    My OB told me tums aren't actually that safe. She started me on protonix (pantaprazole) which is helping, along with smaller meals.