Infertility
Options

New Member - 1st IVF Cycle May

Hi Everyone,
I'm 34 and DH 35. Over a year ago I had an ectopic MC and nothing since. RE recommended IVF even though all checks seemed to be normal. I started Menopur and Follistim 3 days ago and next US is tomorrow. Mild headaches and fatigue - hopefully that's normal. I'm excited but scared... I'm trying to stay positive but I don't want to get my hopes up too high just to be disappointed if it doesn't work... I'm sure you can all relate: It's been a long road to get to this point. Any insight for what to except for my CD 6 US? # and size of follicles? Thanks and wishing you all success. 

Re: New Member - 1st IVF Cycle May

• Options
    Hello there! You're in good company here though I am sorry that you've had to suffer this road. It's a really hard one. Headache and fatigue are normal with the meds; I had those symptoms too.

Everyone is different, so hard to say what you'll find at the next US, but I do hope you have lots of promising activity.

During my ultrasounds, the technicians counted all follicles and measured any that appeared larger than 8mm, I believe. Anything over 14-15 can yield a mature egg, though they like to see them around the 18-21mm range at trigger time. Clinics and REs have different protocols, but I think that's pretty general. 

One thing to remember is that a lot can happen in just a few days. My first cycle was slow going, but I was so surprised to see how quickly things grew in such a short time. I also had my meds adjusted during that cycle, which helped.

Wishing you the best of luck! Take it easy and cut yourself a lot of slack during this time. 
  • Options
    Thanks @Sugarbreak. I just spoke with the nurse and she said there were 6 measurable follicles and several more smaller ones. She said things were looking good. My next US is now scheduled for Tuesday.

The first shot I gave myself last week was a bit tough. Something about jabbing yourself with a needle made me uneasy. But what made me more uneasy was the thought of allowing my DH to do it. He's like Lenny from Of Mice and Men... lol... he has a gentle soul but doesn't know his own strength. When the instructions said to jab it in like a dart, I just pictured him stabbing the needle full force into my thigh to ensure all the medicine gets in... (neither of us are in the medical field so this is all foreign to us.) He seemed a bit relieved when I told him I'd do it and gave me a shoulder rub while I blasted that song 'shots shots shots... everybody shots shots' to hype myself up... lol.  It looked like the beginning of a boxing match. Turns out the needle is so small I could barely feel it. Shots have been easy since then. I'm adding the cetrotide tomorrow so I'll be up to the 3. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm LMAO right now because we sang the "shot shots shots!" song the first few times we did it! You're a bad ass for giving yourself the shots! I gave myself ONE shot and it squiked me out so badly that I just couldn't do it again. For some reason my husband was all about mixing and giving me the shots. I think it made him feel more involved.

Sounds like things are looking good. Best of luck with the next check up. I hope it shows lots of follies at the right size!