October 2017 Moms
Options

High Risk Check in Mid-May

I haven't seen one of these in quite a while, so let's give it a go.  This is for support and sharing with other moms that have been deemed high risk. Depending on how this goes, I'm thinking of doing the thread twice a month.  Feedback welcome.

How far along are you?

Why are you considered high-risk / getting increased monitoring?

What type of additional testing, monitoring will you be getting?

Any questions / rants / raves?

GTKY: What are you looking forward to the most this summer?

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: High Risk Check in Mid-May

• Options
    melarowanmelarowan member
    edited May 2017
    How far along are you? 18+5

Why are you considered high-risk / getting increased monitoring? Gestational diabetes, significant risk of preeclampsia, obese (I hate that word, but it's true), significant risk of spinal cord damage with labor due to previous injuries.

What type of additional testing, monitoring will you be getting? I check my blood glucose 4x/day, give myself insulin 1x/day; extra appointments with nurses to check on pre-e symptoms; strict weight gain/loss restrictions; See what happens with the spine and deal with it later. 

Any questions / rants / raves? I don't like to talk about what's going on to everyone all the time because I'm not one for constant griping.  But now,  it's led to one of my sisters being pretty insensitive about some of the struggles I've been dealing with for a couple of months.  She thinks I'm just being dramatic about being worried about not being able to walk after giving birth.  It makes me want to both scream and cry.  Then, she wonders why I don't want to spend more time with her.  Geographically, she's the closest to me, but I'd rather shove bamboo under my nails than spend more time with her right now.

GTKY: What are you looking forward to the most this summer? My boss is awesome and gave me special permission to wear flip flops at work which are strictly forbidden for everyone else.  Now, I get to look for a few pretty pairs of new footwear!

• Options
    ac1259ac1259 member
    How far along are you?
    19 w 1 d
    History of 2 preterm deliveries
    I'll have weekly injections starting today (because my OB's office couldn't get their crap together), and cervical checks at 16, 20, and 24 weeks. 
    No real questions, this is my 3rd time around but kind of annoyed that it took me bugging someone to finally get the info in for my injections even though we've been discussing it since my first appointment at 9 weeks. Like seriously people, get your stuff together. 
    I was really looking forward to our beach vacation with the kids that we just got back from, but I'm also looking forward to a weekend away in NYC with DH in July. Not looking forward to having classes all summer long..:( 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    How far along are you?  14+5

Why are you considered high-risk / getting increased monitoring? ID twins

What type of additional testing, monitoring will you be getting? I'll be getting a lot more ultrasounds and seeing a MFM to monitor for TTTS (twin to twin transfusion syndrome) and other extra risks that come along with ID twins.  Quite a bit less risky than the kind of twins we thought I was carrying though, so I'm relieved about that!

Any questions / rants / raves? I think my nausea is easing up!  Woo!  

GTKY: What are you looking forward to the most this summer?  I'm going to DC for two weeks for work.  Not looking forward to the humidity and heat, but I am super looking forward to sleeping in a king bed by myself with no monitor and to get a break from whiney toddlers for a little while.  Mother of the year here!  ;)

• Options
    @ac1259 Wow on having to pester your provider so much.  I hate having to do that.  I hope your injections go smoothly and as pain-free as possible.  I'm not a fan of needles, but the insulin needles are as thin as a hair, so it's ok.

@TallMomma29 WooHoo on the easing nausea and getting a 2 week break before your family doubles.  

• Options
    How far along are you? I'm 17wks 2 days

Why are you considered high-risk / getting increased monitoring? My last pregnancy in 2015 my water broke during my 17th wk. I maintained my pregnancy till I was 29 wks when I gave birth to my son.

What type of additional testing, monitoring will you be getting? Once I hit 16 wks I start to get ultrasounds every two weeks to keep an eye on cervical length and how things are going. Today I got my first Makena shot, which I'll continue to get weekly till 36wks.

Any questions / rants / raves? The stupid shot stings similar to a bee sting and makes the whole muscle uncomfortable lol

GTKY: What are you looking forward to the most this summer? I'm just looking forward to relaxing and spending time with my husband and kids.
  • Options
    ac1259ac1259 member
    Any questions / rants / raves? The stupid shot stings similar to a bee sting and makes the whole muscle uncomfortable lol

Whoa man and the after burn...the lady giving me the shot was like "not so bad right" and the shot itself didn't hurt but man did it burn afterwards! 

• Options
    wondermom911wondermom911 member
    edited May 2017
    Yes! And it's so sensitive... The nurse that did mine was sweet and messaged the area after she did it and I think that helped but she touched it after to see if it needed a bandaid and I let out a little ow noise lol I got it done close to noon so it's been over 8 hours since and it's still not the most comfortable... How long has it lasted foryou after an injection?
  • Options
    ac1259ac1259 member
    @wondermom911 It's feeling better today...it was sore to sit on that side yesterday though. 

• Options
    ac1259 said:
    @wondermom911 It's feeling better today...it was sore to sit on that side yesterday though. 
    Same here! Glad it's not just me lol The area is still I little tender today but only if I actually touch it. 
  • Options
    How far along are you? 18w 2d

Why are you considered high-risk / getting increased monitoring? I have pancolitis which likes to flare when I'm pregnant. I've had a baby with SN and a heart condition. I had a preemie due to PPROM last time. Multiple losses.

What type of additional testing, monitoring will you be getting? Extra appts, extra ultrasounds. Did a round of antibiotics and after my anatomy scan we'll decide if I should start progesterone as well. More in depth ultrasounds as well

Any questions / rants / raves? Any other previous PPROM parents here? My doc said we'll only do progesterone if my cervix seems to need it but most of what I've found says it's been shown to help even if your cervix is fine. I get two anatomy scans next week! (one level II) And I'm so excited to see babe and am praying it's healthy.

GTKY: What are you looking forward to the most this summer? Getting to go out and enjoy the sunshine. No school. No schedules. Freedom! Haha!
                                          Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
                                                                     Formerly ChoicesMom
                                                                         "Squishy" 2007
                                                           "Lyric" EDD Nov/4/11 - c/p Feb/11
                                                                            "Fishy" 2012
                                                                            "Bean" 2014
                                                             "Lux" EDD Apr/21/17 - c/p Aug/16
                                                       "Kokonah" EDD May/24/17 - m/c Oct/16
                                1 surprise - 1 Noonie - 1 preemie - 3 gone but not forgotten - One more on the way!!
                                                          Grab bag of mental health disorders
                                                                              Pancolitis

• Options
    @melarowan I can totally relate to the insensitivity. I try to act like I have things under control and that things aren't as bad as they are but then that bites me in the ass because people think I'm fine when I'm not.
    @ac1259 what caused your preterm labours and how early were your babes?
    Now I'm off to research Makena..

Formerly ChoicesMom
                                                                         "Squishy" 2007
                                                                            "Fishy" 2012
                                                                            "Bean" 2014
                                1 surprise - 1 Noonie - 1 preemie - 3 gone but not forgotten - One more on the way!!
                                                                              Pancolitis

• Options
    melarowanmelarowan member
    edited May 2017
    @sqfibemom  I have my anatomy scan next week too.  Fingers crossed for a successful scan and healthy baby! 

ETA: I mean for both of us.

• Options
    ac1259ac1259 member
    @sqfibemom- umm, unknown origin? PPROM would be the best answer I guess, and my first baby was 36w4d, they offered the Makena the 2nd time around because of that but my doctor was even borderline with it because if she had been born 3 days later they wouldn't have offered it. DD2 was born at 34w4d. So they told me that if there was a next time it would be more of a requirement and less of an offer....so we went with the Makena injections this time. My uterus is very irritable as well but I've never had cervical changes without my water breaking first. 

• Options
    ac1259ac1259 member
    And I've read a ton of studies about the Makena, it is recommended for people with PPROM. They say if there are cervical changes the progesterone suppositories can work better but the injections are good either way. 

• Options
    How far along are you?
    21+2

Two reasons: I have chronic hypertension diagnosed during this pregnancy and I have a short cervix that is now funneling

More urine tests including 24 hour urine protein collections and as for now it looks like biweekly cervical checks

Ugh so many.  The past 24 hours has completely jarred my world and I have so many rhetorical questions and crazy rants but I'm still a jumbled incoherent mess right now.  Going from imagining a cute little snug bug napping in my bed during maternity leave to now having to deal with the possibility that he/she won't make it to that point has completely turned my world upside down.

I guess one rave is that my husband was supposed to go out of town this weekend (this morning really) for a meet for one of his athletes and while it looks like he's still going, he at least delayed his trip to stay with me to get all this sorted out.  We wanted to have a solid plan before he leaves me alone for the weekend.

Keeping this little one cooking for as long as possible is all I'm looking forward to.
    Trigger warning in signature...
    Me: 33  DH: 37
    Together since 2010, Married August 2014
    TTC: Off and on since April 2015
    Diagnosis: Severe MFI
    1/15/2017: FET #1, successful. Baby boy delivered via c-section 9/30/17  <3
    1/2/2018: FET #2: BFN  :'(

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @SwtAnana Hugs to you and I'm so glad to hear that Hubs is home with you, helping come up with a plan.

• Options
    @Melarowan Thank you. Kinda sucks to be in limbo but I'm trying to remain hopeful that even if we don't get to full-term, that we'll at least get to viability.   So. Freakin. Close.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    How far along are you? 
    19 + 5

2012:
    Ovarian cancer diagnosed @ 17w
    Chemotherapy during 2nd trimester
    Shortened cervix
    Preeclampsia and placental abruption @ 30 + 6, daughter is now 5 and doing great
    2014:
    Put on lovenox shots/baby aspirin for clotting disorder (found after Pre-e)
    Progesterone suppositories for cervical shortening
    Ultrasounds every two weeks
    Made it to full term at 37 + 6, daughter is 2.5 and doing great
    2017:
    Following plan from 2014 hoping for same outcome!

Ultrasounds every two weeks to check cervix until 24 weeks

We are not finding out the sex of baby #3 so I am trying to find neutral clothing that is not covered in sheep or elephants and it is proving impossible! I finally found some pants I liked and when I brought them home I found that I had bought the same pair last week and already had them in the closet. #TheStruggleIsReal  

Having my older daughter out of preschool and back at the same daycare as the little one.  One pick-up and drop off!!
    Married 9.10.10
    Ovarian Cancer diagnosed 12.13.11 @ 17W w/DD #1
    Preeclampsia and Placental Abruption @ 30w6ds w/DD #1 born 3.19.12
    Successful VBAC with DD #2 born 8.6.14
    Expecting #3 10.14.17
  • Options
    How far along are you? 
    19 + 5

2012:
    Ovarian cancer diagnosed @ 17w
    Chemotherapy during 2nd trimester
    Shortened cervix
    Preeclampsia and placental abruption @ 30 + 6, daughter is now 5 and doing great
    2014:
    Put on lovenox shots/baby aspirin for clotting disorder (found after Pre-e)
    Progesterone suppositories for cervical shortening
    Ultrasounds every two weeks
    Made it to full term at 37 + 6, daughter is 2.5 and doing great
    2017:
    Following plan from 2014 hoping for same outcome!

Ultrasounds every two weeks to check cervix until 24 weeks

We are not finding out the sex of baby #3 so I am trying to find neutral clothing that is not covered in sheep or elephants and it is proving impossible! I finally found some pants I liked and when I brought them home I found that I had bought the same pair last week and already had them in the closet. #TheStruggleIsReal  

Having my older daughter out of preschool and back at the same daycare as the little one.  One pick-up and drop off!!
    OMG! You've been through so much! How did they find out about your ovarian cancer?? Just a lucky find on imaging??

I'm sitting here at the hospital waiting for an OR to open. I had my second opinion appointment today and I have now dilated 1cm. Luckily this hospital is a regional referral center for IC/preterm labor and the MFM doc tonight has written books/articles on the matter so I think that I'm in good hands. I'm hoping that this at least gets us to viability and from there I'll just be grateful for every day that my little stays in.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    sqfibemom said:
    Any questions / rants / raves? Any other previous PPROM parents here?
    I ppromed with my last pregnancy at 17wks. Which is why I'm high risk this pregnancy. I get the Makena shot every week and don't have any problems with my cervix. I didn't have any issues with it my last pregnancy either. I get ultrasounds every two weeks to check on my cervix length also. 
  • Options
    @SwtAnana sending good vibes your way! Do you know what their/your plan is at this point?
  • Options
    @dumbledoredies ugh this is so annoying! They gave me indomethacin and they're keeping me NPO in case some OR space opens tonight but they can't give me an estimate. I'm so hungry I could stab someone  :s

they can't even tell me what time I'd go tomorrow if I agree to just eat something and try again tomorrow. The ORs tomorrow are just as busy and since this isn't an "emergency" I'm not high priority. I have a freakin cervix that is changing with exposed membranes so I'm scared to death I'll change too much and they won't be able to do anything! For the past 3 weeks I've just been feeling like I'm sitting on a time bomb and that no one else cares  :'(

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @SwtAnana so are they trying to get control of your cervix? Are they going to try a cerclage? I'm going to be monitored for a potential short cervix so I'm really curious what they are going to do for you to keep babe cooking for as long as possible! <3
  • Options
    @dumbledoredies yeah they're going to try for a cerclage. Right now they feel really good about their ability to place one. I started on indomethacin... I hope it slows the rate of dilation enough that  having my procedure delayed won't be a big deal

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @SwtAnana that's so stressful! I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I hope they are able to get you in soon for the procedure!
  • Options
    @SwtAnana fingers crossed for you! How are you this morning?
    TTC x 1.5 years.
    Acupuncture, Femera x3 cyles, and HSG.
    BFP in September 2014, DS born June 2015.
    TTC x2 months.
    BFP January 2017.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Good morning @SwtAnana. I'm glad the procedure went well and hope that you can get some good rest now. Thinking of you and your little one. 

• Options
    @melarowan thank you so much. I was telling my mother that it's a wonder people do this more than once...my first time has really turned into such a roller coaster 

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @SwtAnana just wanted to say I'm glad that everything went well! I hope your baby stays in there and cooks until term! 
  • Options
    @ac1259 I didn't have any cervical changes either which is why my doc is holding back on offering progesterone until after my anatomy scan. I really think I want to start the injections though, are you able to give them to yourself?

@melarowan thank you :)

@swtanana continued prayers for your babe, so great that they were able to get the cerclage done

Formerly ChoicesMom
                                                                         "Squishy" 2007
                                                                            "Fishy" 2012
                                                                            "Bean" 2014
                                                                              Pancolitis

• Options
    ac1259ac1259 member
    @sqfibemom I was originally told I could learn or have a friend do them (I'm a nurse) but at my office they don't seem to interested in following through with that so I get to go in weekly for the shot. It goes in a specific spot in your hip/butt so it would be hard to accomplish yourself but a handy spouse or friend could do it.

• Options
    ctnurse-2ctnurse-2 member
    edited May 2017
    How far along are you?
    ----19 weeks 3 days

---- advanced maternal age aka ELDERLY lol I am 40.
    ---- hypothyroidism (endocrinology follows and adjusting my medications approx every 30-45 days/blood work etc)

---- multiple sclerosis  (no progression/relapses in well 10 years. I am very fortunate. No medications) My neurologist wants me to have IV steroids after delivery for preventive.

---- I had 2 previous high risk pregnancies.  Both with hyperemesis. 1 pregnancy  with preeclampsia, induction due to BP.  Needed magnesium....1 pregnancy with gestational diabetes, and PROM @35.5wks.

---- I have a regular provider /midwife. BUT I see the maternal - fetal specialist every 2 weeks since week 12. 
    ---- cervical length measurements every 2 weeks.
    ----- prenatal, thyroid medications/cytomel & synthroid, baby aspirin daily, and Makenna shot weekly to prevent preterm labor. My husband administers them. 

Any questions / rants / raves?-
    --- I am tired :(

------ Being off work. I am a school nurse and will sincerely enjoy every moment :)
  • Options
    So I talked to MFM about progesterone shots and apparently they are unavailable in Canada but he gave me a scrip for the suppositories, better than nothing

Formerly ChoicesMom
                                                                         "Squishy" 2007
                                                                            "Fishy" 2012
                                                                            "Bean" 2014
                                                                              Pancolitis