September 2015 Moms

Cloth diaper help

we use bum genius free time cloth diapers... LO is 13 months old and we are noticing the diapers have developed a funk - every time she pees the smell is awful and it's clearly the diapers. We have soft water, used powder Tide and a small splash of bleach per load. What can I do to get rid of the funk? How do you "strip" diapers? I read to soak them in vinegar but that seemed to make the diapers even worse! Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Cloth diaper help

• We only cloth when DS is at home, so at night and weekends. Daycare provides and only uses disposables. I read a lot about the right stash size before we started so I just made sure I had enough to ensure they were dry long enough. Like you know when your bath towel gets kinda icky when it has been wet for too long? That was my concern with cloth diapers so I rinse them before throwing in the wet bag, and when I air dry them after they have been washed I let them dry for days on the rack. I make sure they are super dry before back in the rotation. Not sure if any of that helps.  I really like this site if you haven't checked it out yet. 

https://www.fluffloveuniversity.com/troubleshooting/solving-stinky-diaper-problems/

good luck!
  • There are many products out there to strip, and I find they do a great job on buildup (the biggest cause of funk). Funk Rock, Mighty Bubbles, Strip It and RLR are ones I've tried. I have extreme hard well water with high iron, so I need to strip every other month. I use Mighty Bubbles the most.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Look up fluff love and cd on Facebook. They have an awesome strip routine to get rid of the smell and then can help you develop a wash routine that prevents it from returning. Good luck!
  • Thank you guys!!! I will check these out! I don't have FB but my husband does so I'll get under his and check out that group too. 
  • I've been having the same problem, though I have had water. I've tried a lot of different methods and nothing seems to help, but I haven't bought a real stripping product like RLR. Probably time to spend the money, because I can't handle the smell anymore! 
  • They need to be "stripped" . One method is to wash them with hot water and add a squirt of dawn dish soap. 
  • Dawn dish soap is for stripping oily residue (works great on diaper cream). If the build up is mineral (like hard water) then you'll need a stripping product like RLR, mighty bubbles, Strip It, etc. There are DIY mixes too, but it can be hard to find the ingredients.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've done the DIY stripping more than once, I've tried bleach, I've tried hot water washes with just Calvin, I've tried dawn, I've tried more detergent- then less detergent, I'm not sure I have any more options besides the name brand stripping products... Our water is super weird, we live in a gypsum basin that's super basic. I have a softener for the house but it doesn't seem to do much :( 
  • Please Google fluff love university. They have a Facebook page too. Don't use vinegar!! And do not use blue Dawn! 
  • Sorry. Super late to the party. 

I have expensive diapers and super duper cheapy ones. We only cloth diaper so ive def dealt with the stinky diapers. 

I make my own detergent. I stripped once using bleach, multiple rinses, laying them in the hot, Florida sun (miraculous) then only ever use my detergent after stripping them. 

Since then, they may smell here and there but zero butt issues and they DEF don't smell nearly as bad, if they do smell at all.