July 2017 Moms

Favorite nursing clothes?

STMs+, what's your favorite online place to buy nursing clothes?  I'm trying to plan out our family wardrobe for newborn photos and I'd like to get something new for myself.

Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
 DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Favorite nursing clothes?

• Loading the player...
  • rnw2019rnw2019 member
    Interested in this too! I keep getting ads for Latched Mama clothes on my fb. Anyone have experience with that brand?
  • fioripfiorip member
    Can't wait for responses here! I've been looking everywhere online and can't seem to find functional but stylish. 
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• FTM here, but one of the shirts I picked up at old navy ended up being a nursing shirt and it's super incredibly comfortable. 
  • Generally, I hated nursing shirts, and agree with @virginiaunicorn11 that most of them had obvious panels or really showcased the boobs (and with size gigantic boobs, that's just no good whatsoever). 

I usually layered up and wore a cami under my regular shirts, and just lifted my shirt up and pulled the top of my cami down so that my stomach was always covered but I could still wear my same pre-pregnancy and even smaller sized maternity shirts. All the nursing specific shirts I bought ended up being home/sleep shirts because I felt they accentuated my boobs too much. 
    This! Exactly this!

if you're going to use a cami that is a nursing cami (I personally don't see the reasoning in spending more money because it's labeled nursing) be mindful that some are like the blue one and you have to fish your boob through the hole after also doing the same thing from your nursing bra. A pain in the butt sometimes. And then some are like the grey which particularly suck because the strap comes all the way off and is hard to find again especially if you're layering like in the photo posted above.

i personally think nursing bras are a must because you don't want to stretch or rip your good bras but I would go with regular camis for ease!!

i also have some dresses that are v neck with a built in cami that has you pull one of the check sides over towards your arm and then the v neck part to the middle and I struggled because the fabrics would move back and get in DS face and he'd unlatch. 

So, in the first few weeks when I was home I was always in a cami and if people came over I'd throw a sweater over it! 
  • I didn't have any nursing bras, just wore the nursing camis for the first few months. I didn't have huge boons and didn't go out too much I wore them with a wrap type sweater. Sorry I'm not more help, but I literally had 6 nursing camisole and just rorated them.
  • Lurking from June: The only nursing clothes I purchased were nursing bras and nursing tanks to wear under my regular shirts. 
  • Speaking of...
  • I mostly did the regular shirt/nursing cami combo as well but the couple of nursing tops I do have are from Old Navy and very comfy.  They are dark colors and had interesting draping going on so I didn't think the panels were too obvious.

I have three nursing bras but most of the time in the early days I just skipped a bra completely.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've always just worn a regular cami with the built in shelf bra under whatever shirt I'm wearing. Shirt goes up, cami goes down. Boob in mouth. 
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• XathXath member
    I don't really love any of my nursing clothes from previous pregnancies either; I was hoping I was just missing something.  Unfortunately I've yet to find the nursing tank that can actually provide support, so I typically ended up with a 3-layer bra/tank/shirt combo.  But the tanks really made my bra dig into me, so I'm hoping to find a few nursing shirts this time around that don't need them.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @Xath FTM here, so I don't know if this will really work or not, but I bought this nursing top:

https://www.motherhood.com/short-sleeve-tulip-layered-nursing-t-shirt/006-91333-006-001.html?cgid=nursing-tops&dwvar_006-91333-006-001_color=006-91333-01#start=1

The way it's designed, I don't think you would need to wear a nursing tank to cover your belly - just a bra and the shirt.
    Me: 31 DH: 31
      <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
    CP 3/2019
  • mamadcbmamadcb member
    Has anyone tried the Bravado brand for tanks or bras? I didn't use any nursing tanks last time because it was January, but I think I'd get some good use out of them this time. I've got big boobs and normal shelf-type camis simply don't have enough space for them, even more so when nursing. The Bravado ones look nice and have great reviews but they are pricey. 
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    Yay for this thread. I was planning to use some really lose maternity dresses I have (which I use as tops) and get maybe two nursing bras? I have a few wrap tops like @virginiaunicorn11 il use those I guess with a tank if I go out. 
  • For those with larger breasts, I got the below nursing tanks, and although I'm having a problem choosing between the small (slightly squishy on the boobs) and the medium (huge on the bottom, even 8 months pregnant), they are the only nursing tanks I've tried on that even come close to fitting comfortably in the chest area. I'm not getting bras because I never wear bras anyways, and these have lots of stretch to get the breasts out, and an inside "shelf" bra to hold the nursing pads. FTM so I haven't tried them actually nursing, but it seems like they are going to be my best bet. If anyone has any advice on how to choose between the small and medium, let me know. I'm still struggling with it. I'm considering taking the shelf part out of the smalls, thinking that might give me enough room. 

https://www.target.com/p/women's-nursing-v-neck-sleep-cami-shaded-blue-s---gilligan-&-o'malley™/-/A-14080856
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • @mamadcb My favorite nursing bra was a bravado one. I felt it was very supportive of larger breasts, but also very comfortable at the same time. And it was high enough to be a full coverage bra and not cause cleavage, which is a problem I had with a lot of other brands that I tried. The almost $50 price tag was painful, but it was worth every penny. 
  • This is a great thread! What nursing bras does everyone recommend? I am a D cup, DD during the pregnancy, and I usually wear t-shirt bras with cups and little to no padding. I coincidentally bought a nursing bra like this from Motherhood, but the cup doesn't fold down easily, and I wouldn't use it for nursing. I think I'll do a bra, nursing tank, and regular shirt set up too. 
  • In all honesty, I only had 4 actual nursing shirts and all the rest were just regular t-shirts for me. I stuck to v-neck t-shirts and never had a problem pulling the collar part down to feed. I would use my actual nursing shirts for when we were out and about since they were a bit easier to maneuver in public. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married 8 years - Aug 23/08
    DD - 6 years old, March 17/11
    #2 due July 19th! (It's a boy!)
  • I never bothered with nursing tops. I used nursing tanks at home since I was a SAHM. I wore loose v neck, halter style tops that were very stretchy or loose. I had a lot of maxi dresses.
  • Thoughts on using some of my front close bras instead of buying a ton of nursing bras? Figure if they'll work instead no sense spending all the extra $$
  • @kerils I got the same ones but in large and am having a similar situation. Bottom is huge but top (at least on the band of the shelf bra) is a bit tight. I might just cut the band on either side because if I'm at home, I don't think I care about that portion so much? It would be probably enough support to have the shelf there but way looser. My gigantor boobs aren't exactly going to SLIP under the shelf portion with an inch or two more room. 

Im not as bothered by the situation at home... I'm more so concerned about pumping at work. The idea of being able to swipe down a v neck seems comical with these watermelons so I'm going to have to figure out some alternatives.  I bought some decent Old Navy clip down nursing camis couple of months ago when they were on sale and I've worn them twice just to see how they would work, and they seem pretty decent. The bottom boob portion isn't a cut out but rather a smaller triangle top that you can push aside. I'm gonna have to keep a look out for more things like that and then also get some of those layering type tops since it will be winter in the Midwest by the time I'm pumping in my office. 
  • mamadcbmamadcb member
    @BusyZee I don't know if two nursing bras will be enough! Although you can always get more if it turns out you need them. I have been nursing for 16 months now and have 5 (plus one of those that @crzyforbabies mentions where the cups down fold down and it's not at all practical or comfortable so I don't use it). Until a few months ago I only had 3 and found myself wishing for a few more. Especially at the beginning with leaky boobs you just go through them more quickly. 

I also can't stretch the neck of a shirt enough to get a boob out that way, but I have had no problem just lifting one side of my shirt up to nurse since I am a SAHM. If I ever didn't feel comfortable doing that (which was rare) I just covered up the bare parts with a light blanket. This time I am considering the nursing tanks though because it will be HOT and I don't think I'll want to be wearing much more than that. 

Thanks @supermom83. I am leaning toward buying one or two tanks but can't quite pull the trigger. Maybe they'll go on sale? ;) 
  • I also did the cami and regular shirt thing. I did have a few "nursing shirts" that basically were just regular shirts with an elastic v-neck...they were good for home. I have large boobs, so I went with a nursing bra and nursing cami under a regular shirt. It worked for me. I had the camis that were from motherhood, which clipped down, and just had a triangle to keep them up while unclipped. It was very straightforward to unclip both the bra and cami.

For pumping at work, that's when I actually used the nursing cover...lift shirt, unclip both cami and bra, attach pump and put cover over. It was a great way to maintain a sense of being dressed while pumping. I also pumped with a friend of mine during lunch, so we did the same thing.
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    Thoughts on using some of my front close bras instead of buying a ton of nursing bras? Figure if they'll work instead no sense spending all the extra $$
    That's actually a good idea. Like @mamadcb said two might be too few, I'll get some front close bras because they seem more functional to me in the long run. 
  • The nice thing about a nursing bra is that you don't have reassemble yourself when you're done. For me, a front close bra would basically be the same thing as taking it off, and I would have to readjust everything to go back in the bra afterwards.
    This is what I was thinking... I nurse before I work out and my sports bra is a front zip and I would have to put DS back in his car seat and struggled to collect myself and re zip. Same concept as the nursing tank that the whole strap comes off and falls behind you- it's a process to get back on which defeats the purpose of the supposed ease of nursing bras or tanks. 
  • BabyBump2BabyBump2 member
    edited May 2017
    BusyZee said:
    Thoughts on using some of my front close bras instead of buying a ton of nursing bras? Figure if they'll work instead no sense spending all the extra $$
    That's actually a good idea. Like @mamadcb said two might be too few, I'll get some front close bras because they seem more functional to me in the long run. 
    It might be a good idea, but I'd think they would go around your back? Like I don't know if you'd be able to clip it easily again? I guess I don't know because I've never worn one. 

ETA: Clearly my app didn't update before posting this and people already said what I said. Oops. 
  • The nice thing about a nursing bra is that you don't have reassemble yourself when you're done. For me, a front close bra would basically be the same thing as taking it off, and I would have to readjust everything to go back in the bra afterwards.
    This is what I was thinking... I nurse before I work out and my sports bra is a front zip and I would have to put DS back in his car seat and struggled to collect myself and re zip. Same concept as the nursing tank that the whole strap comes off and falls behind you- it's a process to get back on which defeats the purpose of the supposed ease of nursing bras or tanks. 
    My nursing bras don't come completely apart.  They just fold down, and there's a piece of fabric keeping the strap up...it's hard to find an image, but they're from motherhood maternity.

BabyBump2 said:
    BusyZee said:
    It might be a good idea, but I'd think they would go around your back? Like I don't know if you'd be able to clip it easily again? I guess I don't know because I've never worn one. 
    For me, the issue is that once you undo it, both boobs are basically free, and you'd have to put it all back together and reclip...the nursing bras have the little hook on the strap so you're not undoing everything.
  • @Potterphile I actually tried them on again and ended up deciding against all of them. Just not comfy enough and the fit was just wrong. I went out looking at nursing bras, which I thought was going to be a total disaster, but I actually found something I like. Not as convenient as the nursing tanks, but much more comfortable on my giganto boobs. 

For anyone interested, in the right size this design of nursing bra just feels like a shirt. Your missing out on the belly coverage a nursing tank would give, but these (in trying them on) actually worked and were way more comfortable for me. Target had some too. I'm thinking I'll do these and just whatever shirt is loose enough to move over it at home (or just these if it's warm enough) and then if I want more coverage for being out of the house I might get some tank tops that are loose enough to pull down and a top shirt to pull up so my stomach is still covered. So complicated man. 

https://www.motherhood.com/wrap-nursing-sleep-bra-2-pack/006-97575-000-002.html?cgid=sale-nursing-bras&dwvar_006-97575-000-002_color=006-97575-98#start=1

Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
    My nursing bras don't come completely apart.  They just fold down, and there's a piece of fabric keeping the strap up...it's hard to find an image, but they're from motherhood maternity.

BabyBump2 said:
    BusyZee said:
    For me, the issue is that once you undo it, both boobs are basically free, and you'd have to put it all back together and reclip...the nursing bras have the little hook on the strap so you're not undoing everything.
    This is what I figured would happen ^^ I just didn't know!! So thank you for that information!
  • Some alterations places are able to create a nursing bra out of any bra.  I am well endowed with a small rib cage, and have bought my bras from a boutique-y place for several years because I found that European bras fit me better.  They have their own seamstress and because the bras are more expensive they will do the alternations for free.  I've heard that a lot of the Nordstrom's can do this too, for a small fee.  Just something to keep in mind for those that are struggling to find bras that fit right.
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited May 2017
    Hmm clearly I have no idea what to expect, :'( now I'm just imagining boobs that whip out of control and having to tie them back to their place... 
    ugh Unsexy mama shopping... 
  • acstec1acstec1 member
    Like many of the PPs had said, I also used nursing tanks or camis under regular clothes and pulled my shirt up and the cami down. I like the nursing tanks from H&M, Old Navy & Nordstrom. For nursing bras I liked Jessica Simpson, Cake, Cosabella and Hot Milk. I honestly had a really hard time finding nursing tops that I liked, so I used the pull up/pull down method. 
  • Oh I also loved to wear button up shirts when going out. It makes nursing in public easier.
  • @babybump2 I still wear the ones around the house, but for my giant boobs, I find them a little less supportive than I'd need in public.
  • nktrodden826nktrodden826 member
    edited May 2017
    @BabyBump2 I have that one too that I wear around the house! My boobs are big so they need some support especially when they're full but this bra is perfect for at home!