July 2017 Moms

Breech babies

Now that we are getting up there in weeks, with positioning being a hot topic, post your breech baby experiences and discussions!

Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 

Re: Breech babies

• My baby has been breech since at least 27 weeks, and still is at 34+6. My official "position check" appointment is on Tuesday, and my OB last week told me that I could schedule an external version around 37 weeks, the week of June 7. That seems WAY SOON!
    I've been seeing a chiropractor since 20 weeks, and I just told her this morning that it's time to step up the game getting this baby turned! I'll have one more appt before the position check on Tuesday.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • I am still clueless and have no idea how to tell. I feel her everywhere. I meant to ask my OB at my last appointment if they do position check ultrasounds as we get closed to my EDD, but forgot. 

seriously - that gif is what I feel like she is doing in there...24/7. She never stops. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • MamaRN13MamaRN13 member
    edited May 2017
    This LO is still transverse- most of the time. She definitely still changes position frequently so I don't really know what's going on in there! 

DS was breech until 36 weeks. My OB never offered an external version. After seeing the chiropractor doing handstands in the pool, he flipped on his own. I have been seeing a chiro again, and doing some of the moves on spinningbabies.com to encourage her to go head down. I'm praying this LO gets her act together soon so I can stop worrying about it! 

Edit to add: I have heard countless stories from people who's LO's flipped to head down once they went into labor or just days before their due date. The best we can do is try all the tricks and hope they figure it out! 
  • My OB said she can usually tell during cervical exams (which I think she starts around 36 weeks). If she can't tell for sure then she'll order an ultrasound. 

Baby was head down at my growth scan at 31 weeks. I don't think I've felt it turn so I assume it's still head down, but what the heck do I know. 
  • maribeth0721maribeth0721 member
    edited May 2017
    I'm 32 weeks + 5 days. We had a 3D ultrasound scheduled 2 weeks ago (just for fun). Unfortunately umbilical cord was in front of her face so we couldn't get any images. We went back at 31 weeks, baby was in the same position. And we were informed she was still breech. I started seeing a chiropractor after that per my Doula's recommendation. I have my 3rd visit with him tomorrow (I see him 1x/week). Honestly I feel amazing after I go, I definitely recommend seeing a chiro to any ladies out there who haven't tried it yet. He's helping to balance my pelvis to hopefully create more room so she moves. And honestly in the last couple of days I can't tell where she is anymore :( I feel constant movement everywhere all over my belly. Sometimes I think I actually feel her flipping back and forth. I'm still carrying VERY high (feels like she is IN my lungs) which makes me think she hasn't turned. My provider decided to do another ultrasound next week at 34 weeks just to take a look and see where she is...I feel like everyone I've talked to has said their baby was head down by this point so feeling worried :/ In addition to some other things I have tried, I've been doing spinning babies daily, I put headphones at the bottom of my belly, and I've also tried hot and cold packs. My provider will not do external versions, so that will not be an option for me. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @maribeth0721 - your headphone comment made me think of this. I had a good friend who used a flashlight to help turn her baby. She held it against her belly down low. Not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but baby turned!
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    I feel some changes, but mostly I'm pretty sure baby is  transverse (for the most part). haven't gotten any rib kicks. I have had a few moments where it felt like he was trying to come out of my belly button though and just kept rubbing his head against it. 
  • lph4248lph4248 member
    That gif has never been more true than in the past couple of days for me. I'm joking that she already has DH's sense of personal freedom over my inhibition and self-consciousness :D

I've been kind of obsessing about positioning ever since our childbirth class. She is moving a lot, I think I've picked up on a switch from anterior to posterior as of 2 days ago (HELLO massive increase in discomfort), and she definitely switches sides when I'm tossing and turning at night. My only real clue about breech vs not has been that I have consistently felt hiccups in the very bottom of my abdomen, but then I'll feel head-like lumps up high, so I am preparing for any possibility. My OB does an ultrasound at 36 weeks to check.

I did the forward-leaning inversion from Spinning Babies a few times, but I think I actually pulled a muscle really low in my abdomen when I was doing it this past Monday, so it's a nope now. Be careful with those moves, everyone!
    ~DD arrived July 4, 2017~
  • @lph4248 - do you think the head like lumps could be her butt? I have a firm lump hanging around higher up (a little above and to the side of my belly button) and it's baby's butt. 
  • lph4248lph4248 member
    @ginger1228 I'm hoping that's what it is! I wish there was a clear way to tell whether the littler movements are hands or feet, but I have no idea, and I feel them everywhere.
  • LM1007LM1007 member
    I'll be 34w tomorrow, and baby has been breech since 28w. Still was at my u/s Tuesday. Baby can still flip, but I'm not counting on it.
    My first son was breech from 26w to birth, I tried a lot of methods to flip him, but he didn't budge. I was scared to try the external version, it seems painful. 
    I really wanted to try for a vbac. I totally did not think my second baby would be breech as well but the doc said it could be the shape of my pelvis or uterus that the baby just gets comfortable in upward position. 
    To me, it sucks that I haven't or won't get the option to try natural and med free, but at least I can schedule my c/s. Although that didn't work out the first time either cause DS came when he wanted to days before..

For me, a sign that he's still breech is lightening crotch to often. Also I'll feel little swishy kicks down low and all I get is the head and butt bulges upward and in the middle. 

• @ginger1228 Thanks for the tip! I will add that to my list of things to try!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Great thread.  My baby has been head down for some time, but they noticed that she is facing forward rather than facing my spine which my mom (former L&D) nurse said can make for a harder delivery if she doesn't turn.  It's something my OB is watching, but luckily it's still early.

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @maybeitsmadeline DS was facing forward too but they didn't know that until I had back labor for 6 hours..then she realized. So he must have turned last minute. It's good that they know early. I had to lay on my side with an oblong yoga ball in between my legs for hours. It was horrible and made me so so so nauseous during labor. 
  • @nktrodden826 Oh wow!  That doesn't sound fun at all.  They've told me to lean forward with my hands out against something to encourage her to turn, but I haven't started trying yet.  Guess I'd better do that to be on the safe side.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • This has been my main source of stress through this pregnancy.  I'm obsessed with positioning, I have nightmares about babe being breech and wish so bad there was a shitty lilttle hand held US machine similar in size to a Doppler just so I could be sure!  My son was surprise breech.  I had 2 Drs and countless nurses tell me babe was heads down from 20 weeks on.  2 days before my EDD my blood pressure shot up so we decided to induce.  22 hours after my induction I had 3 nurses do a cervical check to confirm I wasn't dilating and the 3rd nurse figured he was breech.  I actually laughed at her but the ultrasound I had 5 hours later (of long terrible labour with no drugs) confirmed that he was in fact breech.  My water had broken already so there was no hope in flipping him.  Looking back I know exactly he flipped, it was at 28 weeks and he never flipped back.  

I want so badly to be able to have a vbac this time, and although my Dr is on board with a breech vaginal delivery, I don't know if I am.  My H is very against It, as is my mom who has been a small town nurse for 40+ years.  At my last Drs appt I was told babe was heads down, but I have some trust issues!  I swear I feel hiccups up top.  My mom will be in town tomorrow and I've already told her she's got some belly mapping to do!

If your baby is breech (really with any newborn at all) please make sure your Dr checks babies hips before discharging you from the hospital.  My son was born with hip dysplasia (another reason I am hoping to avoid breech presentation this time around) and we were lucky that a Dr caught it before we left the hospital and we were treated quickly.  He had one shallow hip and one that was completely dislocated at birth.  Breech presentation, along with family history (which we don't have) and being the first born girl, are all risk factors for DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hips).  

TL:DR Get your babies hips checked as breech presentation ups the chances of hip dysplasia.  
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• lph4248 said:
    @ginger1228 I'm hoping that's what it is! I wish there was a clear way to tell whether the littler movements are hands or feet, but I have no idea, and I feel them everywhere.
    @lph4248 My baby always has his feet right around his face, and the same for his hands! They're so flexible that I'm not sure that would be a good way to tell anyway!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• lph4248lph4248 member
    @GlitterFish Good point! I didn't even think about that.
  • Mine is the same way @maybeitsmadeline. The ultrasound tech said she was "sunny side up", but no one told me to worry about it. I'm only 31 weeks now, so I bet she has time to turn. My sister said in all caps: DON'T WORRY ABOUT THIS and reassured me she could still turn. My niece was also sunny side up and my older brother.
  • @maybeitsmadeline honestly don't worry about this! DD was posterior my whole labor and stayed that way. It's really not common to be delivered posterior because the head often doesn't put even pressure on the cervix so labor becomes dysfunctional. Lots of forward leaning, hands and knees, and side lunges. NO RECLINING IN CHAIRS OR COUCH. Even now you can do pelvic tilts to try and get baby out of the pelvis with more room to turn. But seriously don't stress about it...a lot of babies turn while pushing. Except mine. 

Mine is currently posterior and head down after being breech 2 weeks ago (it was slow at work the other night so I made a resident give me a peek since baby had been breech). I have a feeling I just have a posterior-favoring pelvis because it is so big and roomy. Gearing myself up for another looooong back and sciatic labor and I know there's nothing I can do about it. KANYE SHRUG. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • CejimlCejiml member
    I'm 32+4 and baby is still breech. I'll be having a repeat csection regardless bc I'm not a candidate for a VBAC. I will say my DS was breech until 34/35 weeks and flipped on his own. I know it's seems scary to have a csection but as this will be my third try not to let it worry you too much.
  • @maybeitsmadeline DS was sunny side up. We didn't know until during delivery, but the doc reached in a turned him over! I was so thankful to have already had an epidural and cannot imagine having to feel it! 
  • At my growth scan around 30 weeks baby was breech and this really concerns me. I have an ultrasound with the high risk Dr in a week and a half due to another concern and I guess we'll see where she is. Ugh. It's all so stressful. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @dancegurl1118 can we talk about how jealous I am that you can just have someone give you a peek of your LO whenever you want?!?! haha
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Thanks all!  I'm not worried about it yet, as it's still early, but just something to think about if your babies are also sunny side up.   :)  Super cute term btw.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @rae1-3 half the time I just do it myself. There's a little portable handheld one but at this point baby is so big that I can barely identify a head. I can only clearly identify a spine, heart and leg on that one. On the big machine it's much easier! But when I want real life measurements like where my placenta is, how much fluid there is, I ask a resident because I don't know any of that. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • JAM85JAM85 member
    edited May 2017
    So my last pregnancy with DD she was frank breech from 18w on and never moved. I especially know this as I am high risk due to Lupus and get a LOT of ultrasounds especially from 32w on. At 32w I started all the spinning babies (literally ALL of it as many a day as possible), I started seeing a Webster technique chiro twice a week, at 34w I added in acupuncture and moxibustion on my toes. At the end of 37 w I had my version that hurt like hell and she barely moved her head. Two days after that version at 38w I went into labor and had my c section. I say all this to because I know it can feel frustrating and powerless to face this especially as we get closer. I cried over losing my dreams of a natural med free birth. People didn't understand why I was upset and made me feel worse. It sucked but I had time to come to terms with it and now facing my VBAC where breech has been a specter in the back of my mind I am at peace with what will come and very cautious. I also say this to say that there is no evidence based way to turn a breech baby other than an external version. MOST babies WILL turn on their own whether you ice their head in a bathtub or hang upside down for hours off your couch or bed. I drove myself absolutely nuts doing everything humanly possible to turn her and I will say I felt content to know I had tried and it helped me accept it better. If this little guy was breech (thankfully he has been head down from 18w on and I'm 34+3) I wouldn't do everything I did last time it was just exhausting and I think I really messed up my back with all those inversions 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @JAM85 This is probably an impossible question, but do you think the version caused you to go into labor? 37 weeks seems SO CLOSE (2 weeks away) and I don't want to have him that soon if I can help it! He already responds whenever he is poked, so in my mind that means it's more likely that the version would stress him out...
    Pregnancy Ticker

• lph4248lph4248 member
    @jam85 Thank you for sharing this. I'm sorry you weren't able to have the birth you wanted, and I can definitely see how it helped to know that you did everything in your power to turn her. And your story definitely relieves some of the pressure I've been feeling to do all the poses and exercises!
  • JAM85JAM85 member
    @GlitterFish absolutely I think it caused me to go into labor! So long story short- DD was fine during version no HR issues or anything. Next day started having some regular contractions that would fade, etc. Then two days later from version I go for my morning NST- all fine she is good. OB appointment at 1pm I am 38 weeks exactly and we do a cervical check for shits and giggles- I am completely closed of course she is frank breech and high. BUT I start bleeding more than normal so they send me to L&D. They are packed so I sit in a office for a triage room for 2 hours and start contracting. They get me hooked up and they are 2-3 min apart and don't fade with rest, hydration, etc. After 4 more hours they finally tell us they are going to take her since I'm 38w and breech. We wait until 1030pm since I'm not emergent and DD was just chilling. Contractions definitely harder by then. My water ends up breaking in front of everyone- including in laws- on the way to the OR! So interesting events for sure and I talked with my OB this time and he also agrees that the version likely set labor off. 

@lph4248 Yes my overarching point was don't drive yourself nuts to get them to turn because 9/10 they WILL turn on their own and if they are stubborn little babies they won't turn no matter what you do and will continue to stay that way into toddlerhood!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just had Ultrasound today... I am 34 weeks 5 days, baby is breech and fluid is at 8cm... Got another ultrasound scheduled for Tuesday June 6th... Estimated weight is 6lbs 3oz... 
  • I had another u/s last night and baby is still breech at 35+5.
    I saw a new doctor who said he's not in a good position to try a version because he's using the placenta as a pillow... So I'm currently deciding which day to schedule a c section the week of June 26. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @GlitterFish - bummer! Hoping he flips, but if not, I hear all the "cool kids" are having csections on Tuesday the 27th. 

Just sayin
    That is DH's vote too, but that's our wedding anniversary!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @GlitterFish mine is the 28th!
  • Sorry to hear @GlitterFish, hope he decides to cooperate at the last minute!  If not, sounds like you'll be in good company with the other c-section mamas that week :)
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @GlitterFish that's my anniversary too! This will be the 2nd. Good choice :)
  • @mrsla0512 We're June 28th too!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi everyone! Thank you for sharing your stories.  Just had ultrasound today at 35w2d because belly was measuring big,  baby is 6 days bigger than where he should be and still in breech,  plus with my placenta being anterior the extraversion movements they normally would try are less effective :( so they scheduled a C section on my due date 7/11 :( of course in the small chance he flips before or by then,  he'll be vaginal birth but it's not looking like that :( I'm so disappointed,  hope everyone is doing ok!