July 2017 Moms

UO Thursday

2»

Re: UO Thursday

• I already know MIL would flip out if I said she couldn't post any pics. When I said "no nude pics" she thought I said "no NEW pics" and the look on her face told me she didn't like the idea of not being able to post pics. 

I don't think the older generation understands some of the things we think about (like oversharing on fb). Other examples - both mom and MIL think I worry too much bc I won't put anything in the crib with baby and I want to check anything I get that's used (like a yard sale item) for recalls. My mom thinks I'm nuts bc baby might get cold... bc there's no such thing as heavy sleepers or sleep sacks....
  • I already know MIL would flip out if I said she couldn't post any pics. When I said "no nude pics" she thought I said "no NEW pics" and the look on her face told me she didn't like the idea of not being able to post pics. 

I don't think the older generation understands some of the things we think about (like oversharing on fb). Other examples - both mom and MIL think I worry too much bc I won't put anything in the crib with baby and I want to check anything I get that's used (like a yard sale item) for recalls. My mom thinks I'm nuts bc baby might get cold... bc there's no such thing as heavy sleepers or sleep sacks....
    Weekly argument I have with my own Mom.  I just stopped responding to her inquiries about crib/bedding situations.  Not gonna go there again.
  • Loading the player...
  • Have to agree about the pic posting.  I don't see the big deal.  A girl on my FB didn't post anything showing her kid and purposely cropped him out of photos for the first 5 or 6 months of his life.  It was odd to me and now that she's onto kid number 4 she posts them ALL the time.  I agree with what @rae1-3 said.  Plenty of strangers see your kid daily, if you're worried about your people you have on your friends list, maybe you should just delete/unfriend them?

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • rnw2019rnw2019 member
    Between the two of us, H is the one who feels more strongly about social media. For a while he was saying no baby pictures on FB full stop because then they "own" your photos, but it turns out that's not actually true, so he's relaxed a bit. My in-laws and dad don't do social media at all, but my mom will share photos of my nephews that my SIL has sent her. I think I need to think through whether I care or not! I agree on the nude/semi-nude photos though. 

I like both chick flicks and chick-fil-a, or at least I did until we became semi-vegetarian. My UO: I can't stand Ed Sheeran. Also Adam Levine/Maroon 5. His voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me!
  • @rjoys8 - I didn't know it was humanly possible to not like Ed Sheeran. Unless you just mean his music isn't your style. He has the voice of an angel!

I also love Maroon 5/Adam Levine, but agree that his voice can be bad and I can see why people don't like it. 

• +1 to not caring about photos being posted. I agree, though, if you have expressed your wishes, people should respect that and not post photos of your children.  I assume that is a thought that doesn't cross most people's minds.

I also love chick flicks and chick-fil-a. Their nuggets and fries were a big craving for me in the first trimester.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Re: posting photos. Our only rule is no nude/nakedness and they have to tag us in them so we can see what is being posted. 
  • @SpongeWorthy haha that gif is how I felt when you said you didn't like super hero movies!!

luckily there isn't a Chick-Fil-A near our house. But if DH and I are ever by one, he usually requests it so I suck it up cause that's what a good wifey does ;)
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Awww I loooove Chick-Fil-A!  LOL @SpongeWorthy for it being the Lord's chicken.  :D

That made me think of this Nacho Libre quote.... which DH always says randomly.

Image result for these are the lords chips gif

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • crzyforbabiescrzyforbabies member
    edited May 2017
    I'm not a huge fan of Chick Fil A either. I wish they sold burgers and not the same three kinds of chicken in different formats. 

I dislike today's chick flicks, but I love romantic comedies from the 90s. Most of today's chick flicks don't have a lot of heart or originality. 

I would feel comfortable posting through my own FB page with my limited friends list, but I can't stand the idea of my MIL posting pics to her 200+ friends and all of their friends. It's entirely possible I just don't want her attention whoring with MY child because I'm a crazy possessive Scorpio.

DH decided that we should have a blanket no social media policy for everyone including us. We will re-evaluate once the baby is older. 

Everyone's older relatives need to back off when it comes to safety! I don't engage in conversations about that stuff, but make a mental note not to let certain people watch my kids until they are at least one. So far,  only my MIL has complained about putting babies on their back to sleep. If I need to make a decision about sleep, I'll cross that hurdle when I get to it. I will not let someone else make sleep decisions about my baby. 
  • I can't be the only one in here that enjoys a glass of wine or beer here and there... now? While pregnant? 

if I am, please don't call cps on me. 
    I had a few with DS.  I haven't wanted any, really, this time.  I've had a few tastes of some craft beer, but that's it.
  • I can't be the only one in here that enjoys a glass of wine or beer here and there... now? While pregnant? 

I don't because one glass won't do it for me. I don't see anything wrong with it overall (if with food, not so often, blah blah). But I'm a two drink minimum kinda gal.

UO: I hate most comedy movies. They're just usually so. dumb. 
    So, so dumb.  My kind of comedy is usually made for children.

I definitely have. Especially when I've had the opportunity to open a bottle of wine and have someone else to help me drink it. Beer hasn't been appealing to me at all though. 
  • @satsumasandlemons Before I saw your post I was thinking about going to the store to buy a bottle of wine. I'm making bolognese sauce tonight and all the recipes call for wine...so I figured I'd use some of it for cooking and treat myself to a glass (I've had nothing at all this entire pregnancy).

But then I thought about the weird looks I'd get in the liquor store. If I decide to go get some tonight, it's gonna be boyfriend who goes and gets it! I too can't wait for the day in the not so distant future that I can drink wine with abandon.

If you lived closer I'd invite you over for a glass

• I honestly can't remember the last time I only had one drink. It just doesn't do it for me. Especially because I really only drink beer and wine. I drank all while BF DD...but I never did when I really felt it. I pumped and dumped like twice but only when I was out for the night. Usually I would pump after DD went to bed and then relax with a few. She slept through the night early on and I stopped MOTN pumping after about 3 months so it worked out for me. If she didn't sleep through the night my drinking habits would be very different. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • @Dovahkiin_99 , yep, I definitely avoid drinking/buying wine or beer in public and prefer to drink it without the judgy eyes! 
  • ljd2010ljd2010 member
    @crzyforbabies I feel the exact same way. I'm comfortable with limited posting to my own friends, but my MIL shares and posts everything, which I can't stand. I don't think she's realized that we have our settings set so anything she shares only goes to our mutual friends. Even so, I can't control anything she posts independently. 

I loved sitting with a guiness and pumping!

I had a small glass of merlot last night and it was delicious. You'll get no flames from me. 
  • lph4248lph4248 member
    @cait32 No, my breastfeeding class instructor said wine was fine! I was reacting to those here who said they had encountered people saying it wasn't ok.
    ~DD arrived July 4, 2017~
  • @satsumasandlemons Before I saw your post I was thinking about going to the store to buy a bottle of wine. I'm making bolognese sauce tonight and all the recipes call for wine...so I figured I'd use some of it for cooking and treat myself to a glass (I've had nothing at all this entire pregnancy).

But then I thought about the weird looks I'd get in the liquor store. If I decide to go get some tonight, it's gonna be boyfriend who goes and gets it! I too can't wait for the day in the not so distant future that I can drink wine with abandon.

If you lived closer I'd invite you over for a glass

I went with H to the liquor store last week and the guy at the counter kept pointedly staring at my belly and then at me as if I was doing something wrong by just being in the store. Like who's to say I wasn't buying it for a party or as a gift or something?  Not to mention I didn't even pick anything out myself, I was just accompanying my husband. He's allowed to drink lol
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @manillabar What a jerk! It's so frustrating because we have every right to be in there, but people think it's ok to make assumptions about us and make us feel uncomfortable. 
  • @Dovahkiin_99 we were having company a couple weeks ago for the weeked so I stopped at the liquor store.  They were having an air miles deal so I Loaded the cart with a case of beer, two bottles of wine, and couple bottles of hard liquor to get to the minimum spend.  Probably had some weird looks but I don't care, I don't know them.  

Also +1 for enjoying a small glass of wine occasionally during pregnancy.  

I will also enjoy a few while I am BF and pumping and dumping is totalling unnecessary the majority of the time.  Alcohol leaves your milk the same way it does your blood so unless you are hammered and need to relieve the pressure there is no reason to dump the liquid gold.  If you are safe to drive you are safe to feed.  
  • All the alcohol talk has me cracking up!

+1 to the recommendation for a new LC if they said no alcohol- seems they don't stay up to date with research and I probably wouldn't want to be friends with them IRL

+1 to having a drink sparingly during this pregnancy- If I did wine, I would pair it with a lot of water, because dilution? Who knows if there's any science to that, but it makes me feel better!

+1 to liquor store funny looks! My dad is visiting this weekend and does vodka (plastic bottle) and cran. I'm excited to go to the liquor store and buy it tonight- I hope I get funny/judgey faces! People shouldn't judge others, it's their own fault. For fun, I may also pick up a case of wine. :-D

+1 for disliking GOT
  • @Potterphile @oheliza44 Met too for sure. I intend on getting those UpSpring tests to make sure my milk is safe if I'm ever in doubt. 

My DH and I are planning on no social media pics of our son for as long as we can control it. Those sites own those images as soon as you post them and I'd rather avoid it if I can. We're going to do a Google Drive folder with images that we share with close friends and relatives so we can still share images but in a secure way. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kat0607kat0607 member
    +1 for not liking Ed Sheeran, comedy movies or The Bachelor(ette) !!! I couldn't think of an UO this week but I agree with the above haha 

you definitely aren't alone. I could never give up wine completely for 9 months. I mean...I could, but I wouldn't lol
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @Potterphile @oheliza44 Met too for sure. I intend on getting those UpSpring tests to make sure my milk is safe if I'm ever in doubt. 

My DH and I are planning on no social media pics of our son for as long as we can control it. Those sites own those images as soon as you post them and I'd rather avoid it if I can. We're going to do a Google Drive folder with images that we share with close friends and relatives so we can still share images but in a secure way. 
    The bolded is not true. We already had this arguement here back in 1st tri. I guess it's some kind of urban legend because a lot of people seemed to believe that Facebook owns your pictures and can sell them and use them in ads and stuff. It's just not true. 
  • rae1-3 said:
    I can't be the only one in here that enjoys a glass of wine or beer here and there... now? While pregnant? 

you definitely aren't alone. I could never give up wine completely for 9 months. I mean...I could, but I wouldn't lol
    Why would anyone want to?? I've have a glass or two or rosè during my time.