July 2017 Moms

GTKY: TV Shows

**stolen from June**

Haven't had one of these in a while! 
What are some of your favorite TV shows? Bonus points for shows on Nexflix/Hulu/etc that we can binge watch while up during those MOTN feedings...

Re: GTKY: TV Shows

• glitterfish-2glitterfish-2 member
    edited May 2017
    Well my all-time favorite show was 19 Kids and Counting, so now I watch Counting On, which will start back up in June! I really watch minimal tv though! With DH, we like the show Catastrophe, which I think is on Prime.
    ETA: Each "season" of Catastrophe is only 6 episodes, which is super annoying!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • I don't follow many TV shows.....but absolute favourite is The Walking Dead. 

Other shows I watch/have watched:
    - Bates Motel (such a good series, just ended in April)
    - America's Got Talent (only talent show type of show I will watch, it's fun and different!)
    - Into the Badlands

Everything else I watch is half-hearted. Discovery Channel shows like Deadliest Catch and Gold Rush Alaska.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married 8 years - Aug 23/08
    DD - 6 years old, March 17/11
    #2 due July 19th! (It's a boy!)
  • Loading the player...
  • We watch way too much TV. Current shows that I/we watch as they air : Greys Anatomy, HTGAWM, Scandal, Game of Thrones, Chicago PD/Fire/Med, Blindspot, Quantico. Plus my guilty pleasure shows like Bachelor(ette), BIP, Teen Mom. 

We have also been binge watching Parenthood on Netflix and I am so obsessed. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • My all time favorite is The Office.

I also like binge watching House Hunters, HH Int'l, HH Renovation, etc. Walking Dead is my jam.  Parenthood is excellent.  My 600 lb life is fascinating.  DH just recently got me to start watching 7 Little Johnstons and it seems pretty entertaining.

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @rae1-3 I am with you in the watching too much TV club lol.  Current shows that we watch are: Master of None, Silicon Valley, Jane the Virgin, Veep, Orphan Black, Narcos, Catastrophe, Love (on Netflix)...I'm blanking but I know there are more.  I generally trend towards comedies if anyone has any recommendations!

@GlitterFish Catastrophe is so good!  The end of season 3 made me sad, though :'(

@maybeitsmadeline House Hunters is like crack.  We don't have cable, but we got Sling TV to watch the NBA playoffs and I have been taking full advantage of binge watching House Hunters lol.
    Me: 31 DH: 31
      <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
    CP 3/2019
  • Im a big HGTV fan, preferably Fixer Upper, Property Brothers, and my all time favorite of Love It or List It. DH and I are currently watching Game of Thrones and Lucifer. I love How I Met Your Mother too. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • @GlitterFish Nooooo!! We can't be friends anymore! J/k :D but I can't stand that show(family)!

@rae1-3 You've got good taste! We've/I watched/watch those all too!

@maybeitsmadeline<3 The Office!! I have all the seasons and just re-watched them all. I was going to wait for maternity leave but I could watch them 100 times and never get sick of them. 

I'm currently watching Jane the Virgin and with H we're watching Blue Bloods

• @SpongeWorthy Yes!  We don't have cable either, but we tried the free trial of Sling and it kept shutting down on us for some reason, so we ended up going with Playstation Vue which had a few more channels for a little bit higher price.  Then DH gets those channel apps like TLC, HGTV, DIY, etc and we watch all the shows they have available on there too.  I don't miss cable at all!

HH is definitely like crack.  I could watch it all day long, but DH gets bored after a while.   :/

Pregnancy Ticker
  • YES to all the HGTV. But that is more just what I watch when I am killing time, versus actually DVR-ing the new episodes. Same with food network. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Agreed about Food Network.  I love the competitions that they have - Spring Baking Championship anyone?  So entertaining!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't watch a lot of different things. I still watch Grey's Anatomy and sometimes just rewatch on Netflix over and over instead of committing to a new show. I just started Gilmore Girls and it's okay.

Our DVR died a few months ago (twice) and so I missed a bunch of shows I was watching and just never got back into them and realized my life wasn't so bad without them. Those were mainly Teen Mom and The Challenge. 

I try to keep up with The Bachelor/ette/BIP.

For you The Office lovers - I just never loved it! I binged watched on Netflix but couldn't get through the last two seasons. I thought I'd love it bc I have the same sense of humor that my friends have who love that show but I just didn't think it was that great. I really wanted to love it. 
  • @kerils Oh yes, to Fixer Upper!

@ginger1228 I know a lot of people hated it after Michael left and stopped watching
  • oheliza44oheliza44 member
    edited May 2017
    We watch a lot of tv- usually after dinner to relax before bed. Our favorites are Silicon Valley, Veep, Ballers (can't wait for the new season!) Game of Thrones, Top Chef, (or pretty much any cooking/food show), Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown, House of Cards, and How I Met Your Mother. We just started watching the Americans and that is pretty good as well.

Personal favorites of mine are Seinfeld, Downton Abbey, pretty much anything on TLC, and Teen Mom/16 and Pregnant (Talk about guilty pleasure- DH is repulsed that I can watch it.) 
  • Loved Downton Abbey.  I binge watched that when my last baby was born and I has home a lot.  We don't have netflix or HBO so I feel like I miss out on the popular stuff.  Definitely agree on the HGTV and Food Network.  When I sit down at the end of the day, I instinctively turn on those stations, even if I'm only half paying attention.  I like having them on in the background.  I started watching the original Twin Peaks series from 1990 recently and I'm obsessed with it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • rnw2019rnw2019 member
    We also watch too much TV. H will turn something silly on while cooking, like New Girl or Last Man on Earth. On HBO Now we watch Game of Thrones, Veep, Silicon Valley and The Leftovers (haven't started the new season though). We also watch The Path, The Affair, and The Walking Dead (the last couple seasons have been pretty annoying to me... H reads the graphic novels and loves it though!). Oh and The Americans--love that show!

There are also a couple of BBC shows we love--Sherlock and Endeavour. Each season of those is usually four 1.5-hour episodes. Endeavour is a prequel series to Inspector Morse, if you've ever heard of that, but I haven't ever seen it and don't feel like I'm missing anything. 

Anyone else a fan of Anne of Green Gables, and have you watched the new Netflix series? 

@ginger1228 I had a hard time finishing The Office too... I think it was years before I watched the last two seasons. 
  • CPR79CPR79 member
    @rjoys8 yes to The Americans! Great show. We also enjoy Fargo. 

If if you want something good but pretty depressing, try Rectify. I think it was on Sundance but it's over now and on Netflix. Also on Netflix, Kimmy Schmidt is great! 

I tend to wait for my Hulu favs and just get it for a month and binge. That's what I plan on doing when the baby is born, catching up on Mindy and Casual. Also want to watch Handmaids Tale (I'm reading it right now).  

We also like Veep, Silicon Valley and Game of Thrones (H reads the books, I resisting watching for a long time but I finally gave in and really enjoy it). 
  • @rjoys8 +1 for The Path and Last Man on Earth!  I forgot about those.  Though LMOE has been annoying  me lately as it just gets a little too silly for my taste.  My H reads the graphic novels too.  He got all three compendiums for Christmas and has been reading them at night to LO lol.  She loves the sound of his voice.

I completely forgot about OITNB!  Can't wait for the new season!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I also watch wayyy too much TV.  But reading everyone else's shows I realize that I've started a lot of series that I haven't finished.  When things get too intense sometimes I need a break because I get too stressed, haha.  So I haven't caught up on Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder, or House of Cards because of this. I am into Jane the Virgin, OITNB, Grey's Anatomy, Bob's Burgers, and now also the Handmaid's Tale. I haven't started the new season of the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt yet. Together H and I recently got into the Impractical Jokers on truTV, and we watch a lot of Cafish. We also binge Friends and Family Guy or American Dad when there's nothing good on TV.  I was watching Transparent but the new season hasn't really interested me as much. 

... I think that's it?   I used to watch Hell's Kitchen and MasterChef but not as much lately. And I never could get into the hgtv shows. My sister loves them so I'll watch them when I'm at her house but it's never something I chose for myself.  Except when I used to do night float shifts my intern and I would watch tiny house hunters mostly to make fun and marvel at how small those houses can get.
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Just started the new season of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Handmaid's Tale. Grace and Frankie's great but I'm already caught up, love Brooklyn 99 and Archer. I'm also rewatching Friends because I always need a show on the side that I can watch without my husband. 

I used to binge watch HGTV and Food Network but I no longer have cable so it's just streaming for me. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You guys keep reminding me of shows I like!  +1 to Bob's Burgers and Transparent.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We also usually watch an episode before bed. Favorites I watch alone are: Parks and Rec, Jane the Virgin, Scandal, Pretty Little Liars

Favorites we watch together are: House of Cards (new season next week!!!), Game of Thrones, Veep, West Wing, How I Met Your Mother, Friends, the Americans

We watched Grey's for years, but for some reason I can't handle medical drama while pregnant. 

We have grand plans of rewatching Battlestar Galactica during our parental leave. It's hard to watch that show without binge watching! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kat0607kat0607 member
    The Office is my #1 all time favorite show, and DH and I watch it every single day on Netflix, not even joking. I wish Netflix had a "randomize" option that would just shuffle the episodes and play them in random order.

The only show I'll watch as it airs is The Walking Dead, but I'm actually getting a little bored with it. I still haven't seen the last 3 episodes of the previous season and I'm just like "meh" about it. I need a new show to watch. @rae1-3 how do you keep up with all those shows!? :lol:

I really want to watch Handmaids Tale but we don't have Hulu. I don't really like anything funny (except The Office), and I'm more into sci-fi or crime shows. On Netflix I loved Making a Murder, the Amanda Knox documentary, and Stranger Things. On TV I love watching reruns of Law and Order: SVU. I also binge-watch the Chopped marathons on Food Network and same with Fixer Upper on HGTV.
  • @kat0607 You are not allowed to be bored with TWD. Don't let your love die!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married 8 years - Aug 23/08
    DD - 6 years old, March 17/11
    #2 due July 19th! (It's a boy!)
  • Add me to the Office love! Parks and Rec is another we watch over and over. My guilty pleasure is Bachelor(ette) and any HGTV shows like some of you. I love So You Think You Can Dance but it's  hardly ever on. Otherwise, DH and I watch TWD, This is Us, Game of Thrones, and House of Cards. 
  • @rjoys8 Huge Anne of Green Gables fan but I haven't watched the new one yet, let me know what you think!

+1 on not having cable so we just choose one show at a time on netflix and binge for a few weeks.  All time favorites: Lost, Parks and Rec, The Walking Dead, Dexter, Friends, Frasier, Breaking Bad, The West Wing, Gilmore Girls, and anything Shonda writes (HTGAWM, Scandal, Grey's, Private Practice).  I also love Chopped and The Property Brothers and miss cable because we can't watch those as often anymore!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @MamaRN13 I used to LOVE So You Think You Can Dance until they turned it into a kids show. Now it just feels weird to watch it...

+1 to all the GOT, Orange is the New Black, Walking Dead, Handmaid's Tale, Orphan Black, Lucifer fans. 

I also like Underground and Schitt's Creek. I thought Deadbeat was hilarious too but sadly Hulu cancelled it. 
  • Greys Anatomy. I also like to watch Naked and Afraid reruns during motn feedings
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• @lanie1000 TOTALLY agree!
  • DH and I like watching Once Upon a Time (not sure how next season will be with so many people not returning), Game of Thrones, Outlander, Gotham, and HGTV shows.

I watch Grey's Anatomy, Jane the Virgin, Reign and Star (which ended a bit ago). 

On Netflix we binge watch Stranger Things, Bones, NCIS, and now have moved on to watch The Blacklist. So good!!
  • I LOVE Parks and Rec, I think it is in my top three shows ever. 

My husband and I don't agree on TV that much, but we will both watch SVU, Chopped, Iron Chef America, Bob's Burgers, and South Park. We'll also hate-watch and snark on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives (Guy Fieri is a d-bag, sorry not sorry). We both loved Stranger Things. He won't binge-watch, though. It took us six months to get through Stranger Things.

I'm a big fan of Scandal and HTGAWM, both of which are on Netflix. I fell in love with The West Wing last summer, and may re-watch during maternity leave. I loved The Newsroom when it was on HBO, so I guess I'm a Sorkin fan, although he could work on how he portrays women. Right now I'm making my way through Friday Night Lights (mmmm Tim Riggins). 
  • For you Scandal lovers - does this show require me to think? I've heard it's a good show, but I'm a bad tv watcher. I'm usually playing on my phone or cleaning the house or something so I don't give it my entire attention. I love Grey's so I want to try Shonda's other stuff. Grey's is so easy to follow though.  
  • @kat0607 I was a bit bored with the last season of TWD, too...even the finale didn't do it for me.  I'm hearing that a lot, though, so hoping next season is better.

@lanie1000 I SYTYCD staying a kids show?  I thought it was a one-season deal.

In addition to those ^^, I like GoT, Scorpion, Big Bang, and the X-Files a lot.

A lot of my favorites are over, like Bones, Dexter, Grimm, Rizzoli and Isles...

There are some that I was really into, but lately I'm "meh" on them...Grey's, Designated Survivor, Quantico, SVU...
  • Oh yeah I forgot about This is Us and Private Practice!  I also used to watch a lot of SVU until Christopher Meloni left, then I couldn't stick with it.
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• kat0607kat0607 member
    @OperaSingerMommy I LOVE Lost! I try to rewatch the series once a year. Also my DH loved Breaking Bad but I'm finding that one is too hard to binge-watch. I stopped watching somewhere in season 1 because an episode made me queasy hahaha. I need to try again!

@hyperangel_8509 I know! I'm such a bad fan. There's just too many characters now! I wish it was just back to the original group, but I know the show needs to progress in some way haha. I'm still going to try and get caught up and most likely watch the premier in October.
  • @ginger1228 Sometimes Scandal has big twists or things move very quickly, so there have been some episodes where I haven't been paying much attention and I get to the end of the episode and go "wait, what just happened?"
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • DcwtadaDcwtada member
    edited May 2017
    Does binge watching bubble guppies count? 

We love watching reruns to burn time (and new episodes where applicable) of modern family, Big Bang and parks and rec. We also watch the hgtv stuff, the flip and move Is our favorite and real crime tv like first 48 hours and lockup.

The only shows we really watch, as in we record and set time aside for are GoT, this is us, and Stranger Things. When I am alone I have been watching handmaids tale, anne of green gables and trying but failing to get into a new series or two. 
  • I dont watch much tv, its mostly background noise for me. I did binge on Bones and 13 reasons why on Netflix though.

otherwise I watch Criminal Minds and Grey's Anatomy
    ME: 28 DH: 27
    Started Dating: 10/20/2006
     Married: 10/20/2013
    MMC @ 8w 12/15
    MC @ 5w 03/16
    ALEXANDER JAMES DUE JULY 15th!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have a toddler...I have no time to watch tv. But when we find a min we're obsessed with Shameless!! 
  • rnw2019rnw2019 member
    @chiquita928 and @kat0607 I wasn't into the last season! So many nodding montages and every time Niegan opens his mouth I can't handle his dumb speeches. And the tiger? That seemed like jumping the shark. 

We also love Stranger Things and Orphan Black! We watch so much TV  :|

@OperaSingerMommy I watched an episode of the new Canadian series and didn't love it, but Anne With an E on Netflix is better! I've only watched one episode--there are some plot changes and it's a little more dark, but I kind of like that. Haven't seen GB yet and I'm not sure how anyone could beat Jonathan Crombie. 

@greenbean-2 LOVE Battlestar Galactica. We'd been binging it before our wedding and ended up spending a significant portion of our (rainy) honeymoon finishing the series. Parental leave sounds like a great time to blast through it! 
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    I didn't even know Anne of green gables was a show... is it the same as the books or something different.? 

Favourite Shows Ever 

Masterchef Australia 
    Breaking Bad
    Sesame Street 
    House of cards

Currently interested in and waiting for:
    house of cards 
    better call Saul 
    Stranger things 
    bloodline (I'm still giving it a chance not sure if it's good new season will determine that)