July 2017 Moms

Weekly Randoms 5/22-5/26

What is everyone up to this week?

Re: Weekly Randoms 5/22-5/26

• Random question: who is having maternity photos taken? I am very on the fence. On the one hand, it took a lot of work to get pregnant, and I want to celebrate/remember this pregnancy. I also haven't taken professional photos since 2014 with my husband. On the other hand, I am saving for a house and am already going to the beach for a long weekend. We have the money to comfortably pay for the photos, but then we couldn't save that money ($250). I am very torn!
  • Loading the player...
  • @crzyforbabies I am doing maternity photos, but I work as a model, so I'm actually getting paid to do them. If we had to pay for them, I would never do it. Could you maybe take a phone or other camera (Iphones take some pretty decent shots now) and do a maternity shoot with you and DH and maybe someone to come take some with you both in them? A friend or family? Just go to a pretty park or something. That way you can have some nice, planned, keepsake pregnancy photos, but you don't really have to pay. Or, if you know anyone studying photography or someone who does it as a hobby, maybe you can ask them to do it? 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • crzyforbabiescrzyforbabies member
    edited May 2017
    Yeah @nktrodden826, I don't know if I would get a lot of mileage out of the photos. 
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    My parents are coming in a few weeekkkksssss eeeeekkkkk !!!! 
     :o  <3:s:|
  • @crzyforbabies I am having them done, but my sister is a photographer and is doing them (along with birth and newborn photos) for free. If I had to pay and could only pick one, I would say do newborn photos over maternity photos. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I agree with everyone else. I love the newborn photos of my kids and they are predominately displayed in my house. Not sure I would feel comfortable with maternity photos in my living room....so I feel like I got more out of the newborn shoot.  Also, I was able to give them out to grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc.  If you can do both though, go for it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @crzyforbabies could you have a friend take maternity pictures? They wouldn't be professional, but would still be lovely. 

On a similar note, id really like newborn pictures, but I'm in a bit of sticker shock. I just can't justify the prices. JC Penny will do them, and the seem pretty reasonably priced. Has anyone ever used them?
  • rnw2019rnw2019 member
     I'd definitely spring for a professional rather than JCP, but H is a photographer so I'm biased. I feel like in any ads I've seen for JCP or similar places, the photos look poorly edited. H gives a good deal for "mini sessions," so maybe someone in your area does that too. In-home newborn shoots really capture the feeling of what life is like as a new family. 

That said, if I didn't have a built-in photographer, I would probably be freaking out at the prices too! He took some maternity photos of me, but we don't really have any of us together. I'd definitely prefer good newborn photos to good maternity photos. 
  • I had an easier time convincing DH to do maternity over newborn for some reason. I think I will try to find a reasonably priced photographer for newborn photos. We're probably going to go to the mall to do Christmas cards. H is on board with that idea at least. 
  • @julybaby17-2 It depends on what you are expecting. If you have been looking at actual photographers and their work, you just need to realize that you aren't going to get the same thing from JCPenny
  • edited May 2017
    I had a friend do maternity photos (non-professional) last time and am comply satisfied with that decision. Like others said, I didn't hand any out or hang them up. They are just a keepsake for me. 

I also used JCP for newborn photos and kinda regret that. They just didn't do a great job capturing overall beauty of a newborn. I struggle with the pro prices, but am debating it this time. JCP didn't do very well until LO could sit up independently. They seemed less skilled in posing. That bothered me more than the lack of editing (they do none, but I am ok with that if lighting and such was done well). 

*Edited b/c auto correct...
  • Anxious for tomorrows appointment. At 28 weeks baby's kidneys were measuring large so they wanted me to come back at 32 weeks to see if they are still large. The doctor said he's not overly concerned because its more commonly seen in boys and usually goes away before their first birthday. I've tried not to worry but after 2 miscarriages its hard to not expect the worst. 

Spent the whole day cleaning on accident. I hadnt planned on it but I saw how dirty the ceiling fan was and next thing I knew, half the house was clean and I decided to keep on going. 
    ME: 28 DH: 27
    Started Dating: 10/20/2006
     Married: 10/20/2013
    MMC @ 8w 12/15
    MC @ 5w 03/16
    ALEXANDER JAMES DUE JULY 15th!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • acstec1acstec1 member
    @RubyRedPirate Thinking of you and hoping your u/s shows the problem has resolved! 

I never got maternity photos done and I never regretted it. I love getting professional photos taken of our family and my DD, but I was never crazy about maternity photos I have seen. But if you think you might regret not getting them done, then I would. I absolutely loved my DDs newborn photos and we have many of them framed in the house. Newborn photos are a splurge, but I think they are worth it because they will never be that little again. Plus, the posing, lighting and editing are something I could never replicate.
  • mamadcbmamadcb member
    I don't know if this is an option for you but I asked around for photographer recommendations from my mom friends and wound up finding someone who has a day job and does photography on the side. She's a fraction of the cost of a professional and we've been very happy with the photos. She did our wedding, newborn photos, and last year's family photos. She doesn't edit as much as some pros do, but her equipment is all top notch and I don't love the over edited look. If you have a local FB moms' group or something I bet someone will know someone who can send you some pics as a sample. 
  • @RubyRedPirate - good luck tomorrow! Keep us updated!
  • hope your appointment goes well tomorrow @rubyredpirate!
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• BusyZeeBusyZee member
    @RubyRedPirate let us know and good luck and prayers your way!
  • rnw2019rnw2019 member
    @RubyRedPirate that is stressful! I hope the appointment tomorrow goes well, I'll be thinking of you.
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    Roger Moore -  <3 rip :(
  • I got a call from my doctor saying that the U/S results came back from the growth scan (I was 30 weeks), and one head measurement was a little off, like too small. Weight and everything was fine, but the head has 2 types of measurements, and while one of them was normal, the other was slightly small. She said it could be technical because baby is breech right now, so maybe it was hard to measure. She advised I go to the high risk doctor but only in 2 weeks to double check. I asked what if it's really small? She said, maybe it's an infection, but it's not very likely. She said I had to wait because they need to give it time to possible change, but I feel like I would rather have them look again now and make sure it's not a technical issue. I supposed it's probably ok, but I am so stressed and anxious now. :(
    And if it's an infection, wouldn't we want to fix it now? And what could ever have infected it, considering I have been fine? Wouldn't I be sick too? 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm doing both maternity and newborn photos. We did it with DD, so we are doing it again. I don't want this kid to feel like we didn't care as much.  ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married 8 years - Aug 23/08
    DD - 6 years old, March 17/11
    #2 due July 19th! (It's a boy!)
  • @plumpous I'm sorry you are going through this. That is scary! I don't know if you would also be infected, but hopefully everything is fine and it's just a technical issue.  
  • @plumpous - So sorry to hear that there could be a problem.  Its always so scary not knowing.  FX that it was just an error in taking the measurement.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for the support. Pregnancy can be so scary sometimes.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• rnw2019rnw2019 member
    @plumpous hopefully since it was just "slightly" small, it was just a technical error. I also find it strange that they wouldn't book you into a high-risk place right away--two weeks is such a long wait, especially after potentially troubling news! 
  • @plumpous - fx for just a technical error! I hope these two weeks fly by for you. Good luck!
  • That's wonderful to hear and good for you for being so healthy! 1% chance is very very low. Hope everything will turn out fine. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• No maternity and we didn't get newborn pics done with the last but I looking forward to getting a newborn session for this one just so I can get pics of DD as a big sister ❤❤ 
  • Newborn photos were totally worth it.  I did not love the price.  I'm with you @satsumasandlemons I can't wait to see pics of DS with baby#2.
  • mamadcbmamadcb member
    edited May 2017
    My best friend has a 3-year-old girl and is expecting another baby girl at the end of May. I would love to get the girls matching outfits (4T and NB or 3 months) but don't know where to begin. Etsy offers me lots of "big sister/little sister" options but I want something without text-- just outfits that go together. The little shopping I have done (online) groups clothes into baby and toddler and it has not been easy to find what outfits if any overlap in the two sizes. Any suggestions? 

ETA: I searched differently on Etsy and have had better results but would still appreciate input for specific sellers or other sites. 
  • mamadcb said:
    My best friend has a 3-year-old girl and is expecting another baby girl at the end of May. I would love to get the girls matching outfits (4T and NB or 3 months) but don't know where to begin. Etsy offers me lots of "big sister/little sister" options but I want something without text-- just outfits that go together. The little shopping I have done (online) groups clothes into baby and toddler and it has not been easy to find what outfits if any overlap in the two sizes. Any suggestions? 

ETA: I searched differently on Etsy and have had better results but would still appreciate input for specific sellers or other sites. 
    Yes I'd like to know this, too! 
  • @mamadcb and @satsumasandlemons I'm so dating myself as a child of the 80s/90s but my mom always went for Laura Ashley dresses to match my sister and me (and we were 7 years apart). Are they still around?
  • mamadcb said:

surprisingly, target actually carries a lot of coordinating/matching outfits for babies & toddlers. My sister and I have already been looking at a few to get for my LO and my Niece (3.5 yo) to wear. They don't really advertise them online that great (like, they don't show them together) so sometimes it's easier to find them in store. 
  • Just catching up on this thread-

@RubyRedPirate I'm glad that you got  good news at your appointment and that the prognosis with the larger kidney seems manageable. It sounds like you are being proactive about getting care and the hospital has a plan in mind- both are great things!

@plumpous I'm sorry you didn't get the news you were hoping for. Hopefully it was just a tech error due to the baby's position and everything is ok.

Re: photos- I decided against maternity photos. I have a few really cute pictures of DH and me throughout this pregnancy and that is good enough for me. We are doing newborn photos. I am toying with having the photographer come to our house as opposed to doing them in her studio so we can get a few as a family in our home and one or two with our dogs (if they decide to cooperate... that's a big if...) In general I think professional photography is one of those things that you get what you pay for. Cheap photographers usually yield not so great pictures. I'm sure there are exceptions, but this is one area that I think it's worth the money to invest in someone who knows what they are doing and can stage and use lighting properly.
  • Hey ladies! Just catching up on here as well.
    @RubyRedPirate Glad things are looking better a 1% chance is a heck of a relief

@plumpous I hope everything turns out well. Hopefully, it is a non issue in the long run.

As for advice about photographers. Go on your local online garage sale pages and ask for recommendations. There are usually a lot of great local photographers who do it part time by word of mouth in the area. Just make sure to see some of their work and reviews first. I follow 6 different local photographers on facebook to keep an eye out for specials.

If you are looking for matching outfits I would also ask on local facebook groups. I know a lot of mom friends who make onesies and stuff in their spare time to make extra cash. They often charge less since it is a hobby but it looks professional.
  • CPR79CPR79 member
    Ok ladies I need some advice. We have chosen not to share the news of our LO on social media until after he/she is born (not that my MIL had fully respected that but that's another story, and the news doesn't seem to have fully gotten out yet). My question is: how do I politely deal with this at the shower? My BFF suggested a sign that says something like 'please respect the wishes of the expectant parents and not share pictures of the shower on social media' but that seems so awkward to me and where would you even put it? I know I'm being controlling but it's something I feel strongly about. Anyone have experience with this?