C-sections
Options

Pain meds/breastfeeding

I will have a c-section in January 2017. I would like to breastfeed.  When  I had a myomectomy last year,  I was able to press a button for morphine in the hospital.  I also took vicadin (as needed) while I was there. Even though I had  a prescription,  I don't think I needed the vicadin at home.  I took the prescription strength ibuprofen for a few days and I think that's it.  I didn't find the recovery that bad and  know I'll have the same incision with the c-section. 

What is typically done for pain if someone has a c-section and wants to breastfeed?  I really only took the strong pain meds figuring it would help me sleep at night in the hospital after my surgery.  It just came up in conversation with friends that breastfeeding and some of the pain meds could be an issue.  I know I'll eventually ask the doctor,  but what can I take? I figured that many of you can tell me since a lot of you have breastfed after a c-section.

Re: Pain meds/breastfeeding

• Options
    My son was born this past March. After the surgery, they gave me Percocets and Motrin. I was also given a prescription for a two week supply of the same upon our release. The dosages were fine even with breastfeeding, even though the Motrin was 500mg/6 hrs. The Percocet was the lowest dose, Perc 5s/ 4 hrs, and occasionally I'd skip a dose of the Percocets or push it to every 6 hours like the Motrin and got by just fine. Definitely wear the abdominal wrap the hospital provides as it definitely cut my need for the meds.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh man!!! Don't let them give you Tylenol with codeine! That's what I was on after my C section, and it definitely helped with the pain but it passed right into my breast milk and made my baby soooo sleepy. Like I could not get her to stay awake and the nurses would lecture me and everyone was frustrated. Total error on their part. We had no idea what was going on until after I got home and a friend who's a nurse told me to stop taking it immediately! I was so mad at the hospital staff & I straight bitched about it afterwards for a loooong time. Lol. Anyways, make sure you research what medicines pass into breast milk and which ones don't. And don't be afraid to speak up! It's your baby! 
  • Options
    Oxycodone, Tylenol and ibuprofen. I was so scared to take anything but of course, had to. My daughter was a preemie in the NICU and they assured me which meds were okay. Discuss it with them for sure, they will know which meds to use. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015