Pregnant after IF

3rd Trimester Check-in Week of May 15th

edited May 2017 in Pregnant after IF
This is a weekly check in for the mommies who have made it to the 3rd trimester!!! If you are in week 28 or past, feel free to join in on the weekly fun.

If you're just joining us, please post a mini synopsis in your first post with your EDD, how many beans, if you know the sex(es) and how you have been feeling in your 3rd trimester along with any appointments you may have this week or had recently.

QOTW: Please share your birth plan, if you have one figured out already! Always curious to hear what others have decided...

If you have updated bump pics, please share! We love seeing these baby bellies!!! Or if you'd like to share a pic of your little one's nursery, feel free to share that cuteness as well!

Congrats to @PNW12RN on the birth of Alyce Alijah on May 8th! She is absolutely gorgeous! Those photos you shared last week by the hospital photographer are simply breathtaking. Also, congrats to @cato99 on the birth of sweet little Carolina on May 10th! So sorry to hear of the complications you experienced but I'm glad that your sweet baby is home with you now!

3rd Trimester mommies and their little bundles:

@marissy8 EDD 5/21/17 with a little girl
@wifeinraleigh28 EDD 6/3/17 with a little girl
@beckij34 EDD 6/13/17 with a little boy
@kdanjou EDD 6/19/17 with a little girl
@rmarble23 EDD 6/20/17 with a little girl
@mjacks16 EDD 7/8/17 with a little boy
@nellin-2 EDD 7/8/17 with a little girl
@Colleen0516 EDD 7/12/17 with boy/girl twins
@MicronesianMamma EDD 7/21/17 with a little boy
@byrneme EDD 7/25/17 with a little surprise bean
@ARB425 EDD 7/30/17 with a little girl
@persnickity EDD 8/5/17 with a little girl
***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20

Re: 3rd Trimester Check-in Week of May 15th

• edited May 2017
    ***Just a quick note, next Monday will be the last week that I can do the check-in, as we will be heading into the hospital the following Sunday for induction! If you would like to take over the thread starting on May 29th, please let me know!***

Today I am 37 weeks and 2 days, and officially on maternity leave! It feels good, but also sad at the same time. I never thought I would miss going into work, but the thought of not seeing my clients this week makes me sad. I'll get over it. I'm sure it's just pregnancy hormones! My body is definitely changing and I'm feeling a lot more downward pressure the last couple of days. I would love it if I could go into labor before my scheduled induction on the 28th, but I know I lack control over that one!

Right now I'm just trying to take it easy (which isn't hard because moving is uncomfortable), but I am still getting my daily exercise of walking about 2 miles in the mornings with DH. That's about all I can handle now!

QOTW: I'm honestly trying to keep my options open. If I go into labor naturally before my scheduled induction, I want to go natural if I can handle it. However, if I end up getting induced I will most certainly be requesting an epidural. I've spoken to enough women who have experienced pitocin and they've all said that those contractions are just horrific. And I figure, if the pain I'm feeling isn't natural, I shouldn't be attempting to handle it naturally either. At this point it's just a waiting game. Knowing they are inducing me at 39 weeks means I'm less likely to go into labor on my own, so I'll probably be going with the latter plan. So curious to hear what everyone else is planning though!

• byrnemebyrneme member
    Hello ladies! I'm 29w6d with one little surprise bean. I have a regular OB appointment on Friday with my TDAP booster - hard to believe I move to appointments every two weeks after this one. I feel like time is flying by and I'd like it to stop please!

Last weekend I FINALLY popped and now look, and feel, pregnant. I'm genuinely happy. I'm sure I'll be cranky as it gets hotter here but I'm going to try and enjoy every minute. I had my final shower this weekend (except work) and it was beautiful. I really cherish my friends and it was so great to celebrate this with them - most know the struggles we had to get here so you can feel the genuine happiness. Now, it's on to organizing all the things we received! This is fun for me as a Type A, anally organized person :) 

QOTW - this is on my to-do list right now. I found out last appointment that, because I'm of AMA, they won't let me go past my due date and will schedule to induce between 39-40. I REALLY do not want to be induced. My prenatal yoga teacher said to push back and even ask for a biophysical u/s that can show that all is okay with the baby and avoid induction so I'm going to talk to my doc (here you see all of them in the practice, I honestly can't remember who I'm seeing this time but I know it's different than last) and see truly what my options are. I do plan on an epidural though - I'm not ashamed to say that nothing in me wants to do this naturally. If I did I would totally opt for a water birth - I'm a water baby for sure. So my birth plan is on hold a bit until I get some more direction. I know we want to do immediate skin to skin and delayed cord clamping so that's a start!
    *** TW**

Me: 37, DH:39
    Met: 2002 | Married: 2004 | TTC since January 2014
    July 2015: MMC @ 9 wks | August 2015: Chemical
    March, April, May & June 2016: Medicated IUIs | BFN 
    August 2016: Started Stims 8/22
    September 2016: Egg Retrieval 9/4 | 13 Mature Eggs | 10 Fertilized | 3 Blastocytes | 1 PGS Normal Embaby 
    November 7, 2016: FET - BFP!
    EDD 7/25/17
    Zoey Alexis born 7/25/17 @ 12:39 PM | 7lbs 14oz | 19 inches
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi ladies, 31+5 weeks today. Had my regular OB appointment and all looked good.i have a sonogram scheduled for Friday. We want to get the weights of the babies and see their positioning, see if they really did flop. 
    Its just a waiting game at this point but I'm getting very uncomfortable. He is pushing up but she is pushing down so I have pressure everywhere at this point. Oddly enough though, I'm not ready to not be pregnant. Anyone else starting to feel like that? I just can't believe that it's almost over- I do and don't want it to be. 

QOTW: I've always wanted to go natural, but with twins I have learned that I have no control. Friday will give us more insight when we figure out who is presenting first. She is head down, he is breech. So if she is first we can try natural and may deliver him breech if need be (not sure how I feel about that) hopefully he will turn and go head down, but if he doesn't and we can't deliever him breech, we end up in a csection. Or I can just chose a csection from the start. But I don't know what I want to do just yet. I'm still so mixed about it. I want what is best for them, so I'm going to wait and see what Friday brings. 

@wifeinraleigh28 why are you being induced again? Something with the baby? I can't remember. 
    Me 30 || DH 36
    Unexplained Infertility- Postive for MTHFR Gene Mutation

Natural cycles with 1 miscarriage
    -3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    -IVF #1-Follistim and Menopur= BFN
    ***11 Eggs, 10 mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 1 (day 5) 2 made it to freeze
    -FET #1- Transferred 2, day 5 embryos =BFN
    -IVF #2- Follistim and Menopur = BFN
    ***11 retrieved, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, transferred 2 (day 3), 4 made it to freeze (Follistim and Menopur) = BFN
    -FET #2- Transferred 2, day 3 embryos = BFN
    **Changed doctor**
    -IUI #4- natural cycle = BFN
    -IUI #5- Follistim (5 eggs) BFP- lead to Miscarriage  :'(
    -Laproscopic Surgery for Endometriosis, Polyp removal and Cyst removal. 
    -IVF #3- Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, Ganirellex- BFP lead to Eptopic Pregnancy  :'(
    ***11 Eggs retrieved, 10 Mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 3 embryos (day 3), 0 made it to freeze
    -Lapropscopic surgery- Removal of Fallopian Tube
    -IVF #4- Estrogen Priming with Vivelle dot, Menopur, Follistim, Ganirellex- BFP  :)
    ***15 Eggs retreived, 11 mature, 11 fertilized, 2 embryos transferred (day 3), 2 made it to freeze
    Found out I was positive for MTHFR Gene Mutation during TWW of IVF #4

• i am 34w 6d today with little girl,  nothing super exciting this week, normal weekly appointment on friday which falls between 35 and 36 so with my luck it will be the good ol GBS swab.  last friday I had a growth US which showed her at 5.15lbs which my OB is not concerned about, this does put her right around 8lbs for 40weeks.  she is also waiting for the appointment i come in and my bp has gone through the roof, i am too, this week it was above my normal slightly but she said still within range.  this week we are getting warm finally and i am very happy but my swelling isn't so happy.  I do feel like i am slowly checking things off my list like i called the pedi today, did my leave paperwork on friday, organized clothes from the shower this weekend and finished buying most of my registry this weekend too.  i just feel there is so much more to be done too and now DH is working late and moving is getting harder each day for me.

QOTW:  not sure about much but i do know that i would like to avoid an epidural and go for the iv meds so that i am able to move rather than be stuck in bed.  DH will be with me and mom was told yesterday she may be lucky to get a text before LO is born so we dont have to worry about a crowded waiting room.  
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • ARB425ARB425 member
    edited May 2017
    Hi everyone! I'm 29 weeks 1day due with our little girl on July 30th. I can't believe how fast the weeks have flown by. I have an appointment with my OB on Wednesday and then we have our infant massage/happiest baby on the block class that evening. I found out today that I passed my glucose challenge test! Yay! It was only by a few points but I figured it would be fairly close because my hashimotos puts me more at risk for glucose issues/diabetes. But hey a pass is a pass right?! Last week we found our glider which made me insanely happy. Now we are just putting some finishing touches on decor in her room. 

QOTW: I have to ask my OB if I actually need to write up my birth plan or if my wishes are okay to be verbalized by myself and my husband. I've been dead set on having a natural birth for several years after watching a few documentaries and several of my friends are OB nurses. Being a nurse myself probably hasn't helped. I plan on using several techniques, water(each room at our hospital has a tub),essential oils, tens unit if I have back labor, meditation and some playlists I have made.  I also am making an affirmations book to help me when I feel I will give up. If I feel I need pain medication I really only want to have a shot of Nubain.  An epidural is out of the question for me due to my migraines and the lovely statistic of 25% of women have more severe migraines and back pain post epidural. 
    Of course there are always exceptions and complications that can arise and provisions will be in place if that happens. I've been drinking red raspberry leaf tea to strengthen my uterus. There are a few other natural techniques I will be employing as I get closer to help try to move things along to avoid induction at all costs. 
    This is definitely my way of controlling a portion of this journey.  I would not trade anything in the world for her but it took a great emotional toll on myself and marriage when we weren't able to conceive naturally. None of us have chosen to go through infertility but it does bring me some peace that I will be able to have some choices within her coming into this world. 

@wifeinraleigh28 that's a good sign you are starting to feel some downward pressure. Do you have an exercise ball you can sit on? You can bounce on it and try to move your hips in a circular motion. That will help to move the baby down and open your hips positionally. It's also great practice for laboring. Just have your partner by in  case you feel unsteady.

@colleen0516 glad everything looked good at your OB appointment! Good luck at your next appointment!

• kdanjoukdanjou member
    Hello.  I'm 35 weeks now yay!  I've been having horrible reflux at night lately and it's hard to get any sleep.  It helps if I don't drink any water before bed and eat a small early meal.  I also sleep propped up a little.  My swelling hasn't been too bad thankfully, which I credit to cool spring weather and my support socks.  A lot of aches and pains as usual and some insomnia too.
    QOTW: We are trying for a VBAC so I'm going to have to be somewhat flexible with my birth plan.  I'd like to go as natural as possible and avoid an epidural if I can.  I have the ok to wait until 41 weeks for it to happen naturally, otherwise I will be scheduled for a c-section at that point. 
    MC Sept 2010
    BFP Oct 2011 - DD born July 2012
    TTC again since July 2014
    First IUI 9/26/16:  BFP!
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz
  • I'm 36 weeks today. 3 weeks left until he arrives. I have another ultrasound next monday to check his weight and positioning. My goal was to have a med free vaginal delivery but we are thinking I'll more than likely end up with a c-section. He's footling breech and has yet to turn. 11 days left of work then I'm done!!!! I've been getting our hospital bags packed and buying the last of the stuff I need for us. I got a heck of steal on the extra carseat base and snap n go stroller I wanted/needed last weekend. I'm so ready to meet him but I know I'll miss being pregnant. 
  • edited May 2017
    @Colleen0516 I'm being induced because I have autoimmune issues. I was diagnosed with lupus in 2009 and even though I haven't had any problems since my initial treatments, they don't want to take any chances. It's also why I'm getting twice weekly NSTs right now, to make sure baby isn't showing signs of distress. Fortunately I haven't had any complications at all, and I am very grateful for that. But I still hate the idea of being induced. I tried to get out of it but my OB scared me into following their plan. A healthy baby is more important to me than anything so even if their medical brains are making them overly cautious, I don't want to take any chances! Anyway, I'm glad you had a good appointment! Doesn't sound like those babies are planning to make an entrance yet :)

@ARB425 I don't have an exercise ball but that does sound like a good idea. Even just using one at our birth and labor class though I really enjoyed the ball. Might be worth looking into.

I'm enjoying reading all your birth plans! I've definitely decided to be as flexible as possible with this stuff, since we can only control so much. Our babies will be born and they will thrive and that's what really matters, right?

• Joining the 3rd tri check in this week! It doesn't seem possible to already be here. I'm 28 weeks 3 days, due 8/5/17 with a little girl. Had my glucose test yesterday, just waiting on the results. 

We decided to hire a doula and meet with her this past weekend to start figure out options. We have to put together a birth plan for the end of June meeting with her. Perfect timing on the QOTW.

@kdanjou what support socks do you have? My ankles and feet are starting to swell a little and I was just going to look into some.
  • Hello ladies! I am 32w3d and have my growth scan tomorrow. Excited to find out all his measurements again and estimate on how big he is. Lately, I have not been sleeping well - my hip/shoulder will start hurting when I'm on my side so I just rotate back and forth all night. I also felt groggy all day Saturday and chalked it up to not sleeping well and it raining all day. Then at yoga on Sunday morning, I was fine when I went to class and as soon as we started, I felt hot, sweaty, dizzy and had to stop. My yoga teacher thought I was dehydrated so I drank a full bottle of water and managed to get through till the end of the class, then felt ill again during the final relaxation pose. So I have been guzzling water like crazy and drank some coconut water yesterday and am feeling better, but will def bring it up to the doc tomorrow. 

QOTW: I would like to avoid being induced and I would also like to avoid a C section - mostly because I already have a huge vertical scar from Crohn's surgery. But if either of those things happen and I get a healthy baby, then fine. If all goes to plan and I go into labor naturally, I want to try to get as far as possible naturally w/o the epidural. My childbirth class was taught by a doula and really empowered me to want to try naturally. But I'm remaining flexible about it. 
  • Hey everyone! 30w3d with my little man. Can't believe I'm due in less than 10 weeks, so crazy. Had an appointment last Thursday and everything is good. Next week I have another u/s and I can't wait to see him again. I'm feeling great except for nightly restless legs and continuously aching feet even though I don't have much swelling and my weight is good. SO finally cleaned his stuff out of the nursery so we were able to paint! Still needs some touching up but I love the color. We also brought home the crib and changing table/dresser, which we will also be painting since they are hand-me-downs and pretty scratched up. That should be finished this weekend. 

I attended the Anaheim Baby Show on Saturday and was excited to finally see many of the items on my registry first hand since I did it entirely online, especially the Uppababy Vista. My mom is a bit more understanding of the price now  :D  

QOTW: I plan on a natural birth - no epideral. Induction or c section only if 100% necessary to guarantee the health and safety of my baby boy and myself. My OB prefers not to let me go more than 1 week post due date but we'll see how it goes. I got passed down the Pohnpeian body meant for birthing so I'm counting on it to do it's job. I have 4 older sisters in Pohnpei who delivered all of their children naturally, at home, and without doctors (even a set of identical twins) and everyone turned out great, so I'm optimistic. My mom, younger sister, SO, and SO's sister will be in the room when I deliver. I am open to as many visitors who want to come before delivery time and meet my little man after, my hospital doesn't have a limit. Delayed cord clamping of 1 minute and immediate skin to skin contact are standard practice at my hospital. As far as birthing positions, I'll go with whatever feels the most comfortable at the time and that's ok with my OB. I'll definitely have relaxation music playing, and possibly some guided meditation from hypnobirthing. SO will help clamp and cut the cord, and we'll have my placenta packaged to bring home. I plan on doing the encapsulation myself using the traditional chinese medicine method. We also prefer our son to be circumcised by the hospital pediatrician before take him home. 
  • @wifeinraleigh28 now I remember you saying that! And yes, a healthy baby is the key! But hopefully you can get your body going before they have to induce you! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! 

@kdanjou heartburn is the worst at night too. Small meals help! 

I think most of use are getting to that uncomftable point! I know I'm there. I feel like a beached whale most days lol 

@persnickity welcome!! So glad your joining us... I feel like our group was getting tinier by the day! 
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    ***11 retrieved, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, transferred 2 (day 3), 4 made it to freeze (Follistim and Menopur) = BFN
    **Changed doctor**
    -IVF #3- Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, Ganirellex- BFP lead to Eptopic Pregnancy  :'(
    ***11 Eggs retrieved, 10 Mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 3 embryos (day 3), 0 made it to freeze
    -IVF #4- Estrogen Priming with Vivelle dot, Menopur, Follistim, Ganirellex- BFP  :)
    ***15 Eggs retreived, 11 mature, 11 fertilized, 2 embryos transferred (day 3), 2 made it to freeze

• byrnemebyrneme member
    @persnickity - welcome and congrats on 3rd tri!

@mjacks16 - I feel the same way. Like a hot dog on a roller grill all.night.long.
    *** TW**

Me: 37, DH:39
    Met: 2002 | Married: 2004 | TTC since January 2014
    July 2015: MMC @ 9 wks | August 2015: Chemical
    March, April, May & June 2016: Medicated IUIs | BFN 
    August 2016: Started Stims 8/22
    September 2016: Egg Retrieval 9/4 | 13 Mature Eggs | 10 Fertilized | 3 Blastocytes | 1 PGS Normal Embaby 
    November 7, 2016: FET - BFP!
    EDD 7/25/17
    Zoey Alexis born 7/25/17 @ 12:39 PM | 7lbs 14oz | 19 inches
  • Thanks @byrneme @Colleen0516

Just found out I passed my gestational diabetes test, but that I'm now borderline anemic. Anyone else dealing with that?
  • @persnickity Welcome to 3rd tri! And congrats on passing the GD test. I'm sorry about the (borderline) anemia... is your OB having you take iron supplements?

@mjacks16 Eek, I'm sorry about your dizziness during yoga. Let us know what your doctor says. I've experienced moments like that too if I over-exert myself, but I find that if I just sit down for a little bit I feel better. Oh the joys of 3rd trimester :)

Y'all are amazing for wanting to do this naturally! I would be all about it too if I didn't have to be induced for health reasons. For awhile I was even thinking I would go natural even with induction, but I've spoken to enough women who've experienced it and now I've changed my mind. Several of them even said the epidural helped them progress because their body was more relaxed. The absolute last thing I want is a c-section, so anything to avoid that!

It's getting so close for us ladies!

• @wifeinraleigh28 yeah, my ob wants me to take an iron supplement to help. There was no mention of a repeat blood test every so often to monitor it, so I need to ask at my next appointment.

As for your induction, my sister was induced and said that she felt so much more present for the experience with the epidural. She'd held off on getting it for a while and decided in the end that it was what she wanted. She said if she had to do​it all over again that she'd get the epidural sooner. 
  • kdanjoukdanjou member
    @persnickity Welcome!  I got these support socks from amazon and they have been great:
    https://www.amazon.com/Nurse-Mates-Womens-Compression-Trouser/dp/B015YV43DY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1495041052&sr=8-4&keywords=support+socks

I too have anemia so I take an extra iron pill in the morning with my OJ.  I just asked my doctor how much to take.

MC Sept 2010
    BFP Oct 2011 - DD born July 2012
    TTC again since July 2014
    First IUI 9/26/16:  BFP!
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz
  • ARB425ARB425 member
    @persnickity welcome to 3rd trimester!

@wifeinraleigh28 unfortunately being induced does make the contractions more painful from what I understand. My SIL was given the option of getting Nubain(injections through an IV) prior to the epidural as long as they were an hour apart.  Does your hospital or birthing center offer Nubain or similar meds? 

My OB appointment went well. HR was 146 and she is measuring right on target. I received my TDAP today. I finally feel like things are getting real. I turned in my FMLA paperwork and just need to start my short term disability paperwork. 

Our class was canceled for tonight due to not enough participants and the next one isn't til late July but it's not a critical class. We are actually able to take the baby to the class once we have her since it's an infant massage/happiest baby on the block so most likely we go prior to her being born if I make it that far or we will attend after.

@byrneme I totally get the hot dog on a roller comment. It's almost 90 here today.
  • @kdanjou what support socks do you have? My ankles and feet are starting to swell a little and I was just going to look into some.
    i got compression socks from walmart, they have a few different types, i ended up with graduated compression travel socks, they are ok but i think the weather is fighting the socks so i am still swelling but just not as much
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm 32 weeks 5 days! Cervix pressure/pain is getting really bad so it hurts to walk or stand longer than 10minutes! They aren't monitoring my cervix length and I've had no fluid or painful contractions - but heaps of painless Braxton hicks!
    At our weekly CTG this week they didn't hear any ectopic heartbeats!! Bit early to get excited but fingers crossed she is outgrowing her arrhythmia! 
    This is my last full week of work with three more 4 day weeks and we have our intensive 1 day antenatal class on Sunday.

@persnickity I've also just found out I'm borderline anemic. I've got iron pills and am trying to eat a bit more red meat. I don't have any follow up tests planned either but I'm not feeling anemic, I imagine if that changes they'll test me again. 

QOTW: 
    I've started noting some things down but need to make it more clear.  Not music playlists but more medical preferences.  I want to avoid induction, epidural, c-section if possible but I'm not going to stress if that's what's needed for either of us to be safe.
    I had a lletz procedure a few years ago and the resulting scar tissue on my cervix could apparently stop me dilating normally. No way to tell until the day so it will be go with the flow.  

@ARB425 I think verbal is enough for most wishes here but I don't trust myself or my partner to remember all the decisions in the heat of the moment, especially if things don't go smoothly!
    Lots of it I've gone through with my midwife anyway but I want it clear for myself.  I imagine antenatal class will help as well!
  • @ARB425 does your arm still hurt from the Tdap shot? I got mine on Monday and my arm is still a little sore! Not expecting that at all.

Thanks @rmarble23 @kdanjou I'll check it out. I'm going to be flying in a couple weeks and again in June, so I want something to help with swelling on the flight. The swelling day to day isn't bad yet. But I'd rather be prepared.

I asked the Dr office when they called to let me know how much iron to take and they just said whatever dose is available. They didn't seem to think it was a big deal at all.
  • Had a great growth scan yesterday! Baby boy is an estimated 5lbs and his head is measuring 3 weeks ahead and in the 92%. Yikes! But good news, he flipped and is now head down. 

I am a bit bummed as we did not get a 3D shot of his face. I have anterior placenta and his face was pushed up against it, so we did not even try. We thought for a moment when he moved, then went right back. Oh well. As DH said, we will get to see the real thing soon enough. 

@persnickity I got these by Sockwell and loved them for my flight and when it was cooler. Now I don't want to wear any socks as it is warmer, but have been swelling without them. Today I broke down and am wearing nude ones with my dress as it is 90 degrees and the swelling was crazy yesterday.
  • ARB425ARB425 member
    @persnickity I knew it would be but I couldn't believe how sore my arm was last night! It's still sore! I'm sure in a few days it will be better! 
  • @ARB425 I know that my hospital offers a couple pain management options other than the epidural. I know I can get analgesics through an IV (I'm guessing Nubain might be one of them?) and then there's also the nitrous oxide. I'd like to avoid any IV meds because of the effect they can have on the baby, though. I'll definitely be asking a lot of questions when I get there about the different options. But I'm certainly not opposed to nitrous oxide until I can get the epidural if the contractions are really bad!

• ARB425ARB425 member
    @wifeinraleigh28 Nubain Is given through an IV. According to what I've read and my OB it has very minimal side effects on the fetus in compared to many of the other available pain meds. It is one of the most commonly used and safest drugs available during labor.  That's pretty neat your hospital offers nitrous oxide! If my hospital offered it, I would be all on board for that over any other pain medication.
  • @wifeinraleigh28 @ARB425 my doula mentioned there are a couple of things to keep in mind with nitrous oxide. It apparently doesn't work well for some women, it can wear off quickly based on your metabolism, and makes some women very naseaous. It's a great option and she certainly​recommended considering it, but wanted to point out that cons.
  • persnickity Yes that's what i understand about nitrous. I plan to try it as it's available for me and seems like a good first step. 

I've just been reading TB birth plan article that popped up on my home screen.  I find it interesting that they include positions in the plan. I guess if you've given birth before you might know what works for you but otherwise surely it's work out what feels right/works at the time?!  The only thing I know is if I manage a V.B I doubt I will want to be stuck lying on my back other than that I imagine I'll try anything!
  • I still have no clue what I want to do in regards to my birth plan. I've been reading all of your plans and really trying to figure out what my wishes are, but there are just so many possibilities with my birth that I can't make up my mind. 

I found out today that Hannah is now presenting, so while she is still listed as baby B for growth records, she is first out. She is head down (and allowed us to get a picture today :smile:) so I have a few options. 
    1a: deliver her vaginally and hope that her brother turns from  being breech to head down when she is  born, and then deliever him normal and vaginally as well.
    1b: deliver her vaginally and if he does not flip, then deliver him breech. (Makes me a little anxious) and possibly end in a csection anyways. 
    2: go straight to a csection for both of them.  

medications are dependent on that too lol 
    I would really like to go natural but getting the epidural may make it easier to transition into csection if necessary and i want to be awake for their births. So many choices... any advice? 
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• Lurking***
       @Colleen0516 I was in a very similar situation to you with my twins. A was head down nearly from the get go and was poised in the canal. B (ironically my hannah!) was breech for most of my pregnancy. At 36 weeks she flipped to heads down so my MFM said we would be a go for a vaginal delivery (my hope was a natural delivery also). At 37 weeks baby B had flipped back to breech. at the time she was measuring the larger of the two. My MFM was very concerned about the risk of doing a version with her since she was measuring the larger baby and this was my first full term pregnancy. (If she had been measuring smaller he may have been more willing to consider it)  At that point he felt strongly that the best bet was a C-section. I consented ( though I will say I balled in my car giving up on my dream of a natural delivery).  Just prior to my section the next day I had them double check that she was still breech and she was. In the end it was a good choice because at the time of surgery she had turned again and was transverse with her back down. Doing a version would not have been possible and I would have ended up with a double whammy.   So in the end even though it wasn't the birth I had hoped for I had two healthy babies and it was still a great experience.   I guess my advice would be to keep an open mind till the very end, have some frank discussions with your doc about the pros/cons and risks with delivering a breech baby, and are you ok with a double whammy?  I was not unless it was an absolute emergency. 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Colleen0516Colleen0516 member
    edited May 2017
    @wabash15 1: thank you so much for responding!! Reading that actually
    helped me a lot.
    2: How funny that you have a Hannah too!  What is your other baby's name? Think we can go 2 for 2? lol
    But Prior to reading this, I spoke with my mom today and asked her opinion. SHe gave me the good mom advice "you need to do what you're comfortable with". But, Comfort for me equals control. IF has helped me lessen my need for control to feel comfort; I learned to trust in other people and other thing. But pregnancy, especially a twin pregnancy, has REALLY helped me lose my need for control, because in the end I pretty much have none. I can do everything text book and not get the outcome I expect. So I decided today that I hope to go vaginally and will attempt it natural if I can (even though I kinda already know I'll never make it through a without the epidural lol, but ill
    try!) . But have wrapped my head around the fact that I will most likely end up a csection; I am prepared for it. Im not going to make a true plan. There are so many possibilities, too many. So I'm letting my doctor make the call. My official birth plan is to listen to my doctor and have 2 beautiful babies however they decide to enter this world. I actually feel very at ease with my doctor, so I really do trust him to make the best decision for all three of us.
    He knows what I hope to happen, and if he can make it happen safely, he will. But I'm gonna leave that decision to him, because he will make the safest decision for us and ultimately that's what I want.  

Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• kelrauhkelrauh member
    Lurking

@Colleen0516 - I am glad you feel at ease. Being a twin mom is not easy and it starts well before giving birth. Both of my babies were head down, but I opted for a c section when the decision needed to be made for the same reason you are choosing vaginal. I wanted control and structure and I knew what tmwould be happen a c section and not vaginal. Looking back I wonder what it would have been like to try vaginal but I think after everything we had been through I was done mentally and physically. I honestly don't think there is a wrong choice. I feel like you have the right mindset when it comes to the unexpected. I hope your little ones stay put for a while longer.

**Trigger warning**

Age: 25 DH: 28 Together since 2011, Married May 2014 and TTC since April 2015

MFI (3% morphology) 

3/16 - IUI with femara & ovidrel - BFN

4/16 - IUI with femara & ovidrel - BFN

6/16 IUI with femara & ovidrel - BFN

8/19/16 - IVF - 

• Retrieval 9/4
    • Transfer 9/6
    • 9/16 - BFP 1st Beta -110 
    • 9/20 - 2nd beta - 762
    • TWINS!!!! EDD 5/28/2017

• ARB425ARB425 member
    edited May 2017
    @collen0516 that's such a tough decision you have to make. Ultimately I think you just have to keep an open mind and be comfortable with your Dr 
    Leading you in the right direction based on how the babies are presenting.

@nellin-2 I love that you mentioned about differently positions for laboring! This is something that is so important to be open with in your birth plan. For me the ability to get up, walk, use a birth ball, squat etc is non negotiable. I saw how miserable my SIL was when she was laboring in bed until I pressed the nurses on her using a birth ball, getting up etc. At first they wanted to give the excuse of her being on the monitor and I piped in as long as the baby isn't in distress there is no contraindications to it as she didn't have an epidural.

Well so far it's been a productive weekend! We finally finished some DIY projects! Excuse the poor lighting. I don't have curtains up yet. 

• I've just spent all day at a 1 day antenatal class and learnt so much! 
    The teacher was taking about how much harder it is to birth lying on your back because your coccyx (tailbone) is in the way and when you are upright it can move out of the way.  She also mentioned that even if you need monitoring or you've had an epidural it's often possible for them to monitor baby with you in a more upright position.
    @ARB425 I guess that's the importance of having a plan and a support person that can speak up if you aren't happy!

It made me even more hopeful that I can have a natural birth in the birthing center using minimal pain relief and intervention. But the important thing is having a healthy baby at the end of this process! 
  • @ARB425  love her sign!!!!! That is so pretty!! 
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• @ARB425 Beautiful job on the name sign! So pretty!

@Colleen0516 I'm not sure what I would ultimately do in your situation so I think it's wonderful that you trust your doctor to make the best decision. I feel like we all need to be open minded when it comes to this process and always put the baby(ies) safety first!