July 2017 Moms

UO Thursday 5.18

2»

Re: UO Thursday 5.18

• Unpopular opinion here that I've actually been bashed for in real life recently: Fetal movement is annoying. Yes I feel reassured when he moves, yes I already love him to pieces, but man would l be ok if not having much fetal movement were normal. I have a very physically demanding job and accidentally brush my belly on things or have to press things up against me (like restraining a pet)  and he throws a fit. He wont calm down and I'll be talking to a client and have a squinty face because he's thrashing so much. Also at night when I'm EXHAUSTED and just want to sleep, he thinks its time to have a fiesta. Currently he's moving in a way thats very ticklish but nothing I can do about it. If I poke him he just pokes me back like "ha ha mom!"

In reality I know I will miss it when he's here but right now I just wish he were a little more chill. 
    ME: 28 DH: 27
    Started Dating: 10/20/2006
     Married: 10/20/2013
    MMC @ 8w 12/15
    MC @ 5w 03/16
    ALEXANDER JAMES DUE JULY 15th!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    @abmommy15
    I definitely don't understand the holidays part. Who cares, a wish is a wish. I think we need to learn to accept and appreciate differences. 
  • I kind of like trigger warnings only because it lets me mentally prepare to read something horrible. I don't think everything under the sun needs a TW, because I'm sure there is someone somewhere for whom any random thing *might* be triggering but I like a heads up before reading about a tragic loss or something. Unnecessary? Probably, but I feel like it helps.
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• I don't understand who are all these people who get offended by pc stuff. People always say don't do this don't say that because someone might get offended, but who are they even talking about? 
    To offend someone you gotta be malicious or say something really mean. Like if I told someone their holiday was dumb and useless and no one wants to celebrate it, that would be terrible. But if I celebrate my holiday because I want to, and you do your holiday and we're all merry, that's not offensive. And in school anyone can bring their cultural symbols and have a blast. The only time we do something generic is when our company emails all the subscribers (I work for a magazine) to wish happy holidays and we don't want to clutter the design. It's just easier. 

I like that people use the TW because I'm too sensitive to read them and I am thankful for the warning. I have read too many social media posts that scarred me because it pops up, you start reading and before you know it, your soul is crushed. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @virginiaunicorn11 I totally agree.  I add trigger warnings because hello drama if I didn't but I think they are dumb.  Life doesn't come with a TW....
  • I don't know that I have a soul to be crushed? I find myself going "oh TW this is gonna be interesting" and then half the time (or more) it isn't. Which I guess is good? Maybe I should be counting myself lucky that nothing triggers me 
  • I don't know that I have a soul to be crushed? I find myself going "oh TW this is gonna be interesting" and then half the time (or more) it isn't. Which I guess is good? Maybe I should be counting myself lucky that nothing triggers me 
    Same.
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• If anything I like the TW cause I know this is gonna be interesting. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Pregnancy made me emotional. I cry when I watch Frozen and Elsa won't come out to build a snowman. 
    I was cold and ruthless before.... 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Savage Garden was my boy band in MS/HS!

I want to fully respect the difficulties for so many of my friends in becoming mother's. I have so many that have had long-term fertility TX, pregnancy losses, still births, difficulty finding the right person with which to parent, and lost their own mothers recently. Out of this concern, I was not comfortable acknowledging my own mom or my role as a mother on FB. Like someone said, I stuck to real life. It still felt off. 

I want to fully respect the difficulties for so many of my friends in becoming mother's. I have so many that have had long-term fertility TX, pregnancy losses, still births, difficulty finding the right person with which to parent, and lost their own mothers recently. Out of this concern, I was not comfortable acknowledging my own mom or my role as a mother on FB. Like someone said, I stuck to real life. It still felt off. 
    This is exactly what I was talking about. :(

See, that actually makes me sad. I understand you wanting to be sensitive of your friends' feelings, but if you were going to otherwise acknowledge your mom on FB you should still be able to. It's not like they all wanted to be your mom and instead you chose one person, and certainly acknowledging your mom is not rubbing her fertility in their faces.  Only one person filled that role, and I would think they would understand you wanting to acknowledge her on this day.  In fact, I would be more offended if someone told me they didn't think I should publicly acknowledge my mom.  Don't they have moms too?
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• I heard that a lot of cultural activities are being taken out of public schools for PC reasons. While I am sensitive to peoples' backgrounds and experiences, it bugs me that schools feel the need to make holiday's generic for the sake of not offending someone. I'm not religious, but I think that learning about others' religions and cultures should be a priority for schools rather than taking it away. It builds bridges and understanding. I want my kid to learn about Hunukkah, Christmas, Diwali, Ramadan, and other cultural activities that are important to people. This may just be the anthropologist in me, but I think it's a huge disservice to ignore these events. 

I would be totally on board if our schools explored Hanukkah, Ramadan, Diwali, etc etc etc in addition to Christmas but even in the second biggest school district in probably the second most diverse and populous city in the US, it's an explosion of Christianity and Christmas. It's annoying to me. Also, as an agnostic atheist, maybe it's the times we live in but just really over religions in general and the people who use their religion to push their beliefs on me via legislation etc. 
  • @satsumasandlemons Totally agree with you with religion being pushed down peoples' throats, I'm definitely against indoctrination in schools and I love the work of Madalyn Murray O'Hair taking mandatory prayer out of the classroom. I'm a staunch atheist (ex-Catholic), but in my happy perfect world I'd love to see the cultural aspects of religious holidays explored in a respectful, non-zealous, way that promotes understanding. You're right that Christianity is over-represented; whenever I cross the border into Washington State I'm always shocked by how in-your-face religion is down there. We were driving down I5 and we saw a big rig truck that said "Jesus Is LORD!" on the side. I've never seen anything like that where I live! Christianity is far more embedded in US politics than Canadian politics (we have it too, but to a much lesser extent). In my city we have a very large Indian population and the Sikh holidays are very prominent and it's really cool to see and take part in if given the opportunity. There's gotta be a happy balance somewhere. 

See, that actually makes me sad. I understand you wanting to be sensitive of your friends' feelings, but if you were going to otherwise acknowledge your mom on FB you should still be able to. It's not like they all wanted to be your mom and instead you chose one person, and certainly acknowledging your mom is not rubbing her fertility in their faces.  Only one person filled that role, and I would think they would understand you wanting to acknowledge her on this day.  In fact, I would be more offended if someone told me they didn't think I should publicly acknowledge my mom.  Don't they have moms too?
    It made me sad when I realized that I felt limited because of it. Several of my friends posted about how hard it was to read all of the mother's day stuff, etc. I wouldn' t limit IRL celebrations withy family, so I initially thought limiting FB acknowledgement wasn't a big deal, but later decided it still felt a little strange. That said, I do not routinely post much of my personal life on there. We just made our FB announcement for this baby two weeks ago. 
  • edited May 2017
    @Dovahkiin_99  yep, we see eye to eye here.