January 2016 Moms

Potty training

I know they are still young, But I have read that potty training can start as young as 18 months. Not that I plan to do it then, but has anyone thought about it? For those with older kids, when did you start with them?

Re: Potty training

• nackienackie member
    I hadn't heard that it could start that young.  I wasn't planning to even start thinking about it until 2 years.  I also can't imagine that our daycare would be on board with participating yet, so that definitely factors in.
  • For sure! I'm not sure its common at that age? No idea! I was just more inquiring about it out of curiosity. Like everything, all kids learn stuff differentlyy. 
  • Loading the player...
  • TRA0816TRA0816 member
    I had the same thoughts. I can tell you that my son will hold his pee until we put him in the tub. Then pee, then stop, and pee again...because he thinks its funny. So the control is there but when I put him on a toilet out of curiosity He freaks out. So mentally I believe it will be awhile!
  • I was curious about this too. I guess next year we'll have to see if she's ready when she's 2. My sister in law didn't potty train my niece until 3 but I think every kid is different. I can't wait until she's outta diapers though lol 
  • mamadcbmamadcb member
    Our pediatrician recommended putting a kid potty in the bathroom so he can copy us of he gets intetested. We did and mostly the potty is just a place to stash things :) But I figure when he does start to show interest we'll know and I'll go from there. 
  • We have a potty for Birdie, and we've started laying the foundation. She likes to sit on it, and has gone potty on it twice in the last week. I don't think she understands what she did--just that we celebrated like crazy. If I sit on the adult toilet, she sits on her potty. My mom swears my sister and I were both trained at this age, but I don't believe her. I think that Birdie is ready (she's dry in the morning, she is insistent that we change her the minute that she's wet or dirty, she's taking off her own diapers,) but until she is able to either verbally express or express through signing that she needs to go, we'll kind of do this really casually for a while.
  • My son will be 2.5 next month and he's very interested in the potty, loves sitting on it, and for exactly one day, and only one day, he will be a total rock star... then no matter what the timer is set to in between potty times, he ALWAYS has a wet diaper. Literally one day of success, then not a single time after that... but with them being so close in age, Brynlee got a potty too (mainly because she wanted his potty, which was a no-go in the world of a 2 year old boy). She has had equal success and failure with it. She asks for it, she loves it, sometimes she goes, most of the tone she doesn't. So, since we went through 2 value boxes of diapers, between both kids, in a matter of days due to potty training, with very little success, we're taking break and will try again in a couple weeks...
  • I have a few friends starting their kids at 18m. We aren't ready. My older daughter trained easily at 2.5y. My LOs are starting to tell me that they've pooped (poo-poo! And grabbing diaper) but it's always during or after, not before!

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• My son will be 2.5 next month and he's very interested in the potty, loves sitting on it, and for exactly one day, and only one day, he will be a total rock star... then no matter what the timer is set to in between potty times, he ALWAYS has a wet diaper. Literally one day of success, then not a single time after that... but with them being so close in age, Brynlee got a potty too (mainly because she wanted his potty, which was a no-go in the world of a 2 year old boy). She has had equal success and failure with it. She asks for it, she loves it, sometimes she goes, most of the tone she doesn't. So, since we went through 2 value boxes of diapers, between both kids, in a matter of days due to potty training, with very little success, we're taking break and will try again in a couple weeks...
    Yes. We were going through a lot of diapers unnecessarily. I really, really don't want to go the way of Pull-ups, though. My stepsons really struggled getting completely without, and I think they are just too comfortable to pee in. I need to research if you can still buy those old-fashioned rubber pants like we had.
  • @stephanienjer You can still buy the rubber pants!!! I have had many moms tell me that they work like a champ over pull ups. Just like you said, pull ups a comfortable to pee in. The rubber pants with a pair of underwear under them are not.... you can get them on Amazon!
  • @stephanienjer I'm stocking up on the cloth training pants and rubber pants this weekend. We found them at Walmart. Gonna give it another go with my son (and probably Brynlee, too). She's so interested, completely understands that if she pees in the potty she gets a reward (mini oreo or tattoo) and in all honesty, it's such a fight to let one kiddo have something and not the other with them being so close in age. Might as well! 
  • 23Tez2323Tez23 member
    I've been looking this up recently because my husband wanted to get DD a potty. A pediatric urologist says if you do think they're ready this early then make sure they're getting lots of fibre. 

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1424826

I'm not going to push it. I'll make a potty available to her so she can try when she wants to, but I'm not going to give her the impression that it is my agenda.

• Ive been thinking about potty training recently too. My LO just started saying "poo" after she's gone poo, and she wants to sit on the toilet (and points to it and says poo, so I think she knows what it's for). So I'm thinking about getting her her own seat, so she can actually fit on it when she wants to, but I don't think I'll actually start training her at this point or any point soon. I think diapers are easier right now anyway. 
  • krrpe99krrpe99 member
    I just got a little potty yesterday! I don't think we're quite ready yet, but I want to be prepared. Just the thought of being diaper free is giving me the happys. 
  • krrpe99 said:
    I just got a little potty yesterday! I don't think we're quite ready yet, but I want to be prepared. Just the thought of being diaper free is giving me the happys. 
    Put that potty in a public area of your house, and let your LO sit on it just to get comfortable with the idea. As a nanny, I've seen kids park on the potty for a good 20-30 minutes if they've got books or the tv is on.