LGBT Parenting
Options

At home?

Is anyone trying/tried at home? I would love to hear tips, advice, success/fail stories, etc.

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.
Reciprocal Ivf Feb 2016. DW eggs and I am carrying. EDD: 10/27/16

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: At home?

• Options
    My friends did it at home and had success after 4 tries. She was 39 and had some issues with cysts previously that they thought could impact her fertility. They used her wife's brother. Now, I will say, her wife is a biologist so they had some sort of syringe and things from the biology lab. It definitely wasn't a turkey baster.
  • Options
    We did it at home and were successful on the 5th try.  Our little guy is due November 28th so I have just entered 3rd trimester.  I am 32 and we used a syringe but just one you can buy at a medical supply store.  I have a blog that really gets into our process (and is funny... if I do say so myself) but I think I can get in trouble for posting it on here.  We used a family friend who looks a lot like my wife.  I am a big advocate for DIY queer conception when possible. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

saraehyde said:
    We did it at home and were successful on the 5th try.  Our little guy is due November 28th so I have just entered 3rd trimester.  I am 32 and we used a syringe but just one you can buy at a medical supply store.  I have a blog that really gets into our process (and is funny... if I do say so myself) but I think I can get in trouble for posting it on here.  We used a family friend who looks a lot like my wife.  I am a big advocate for DIY queer conception when possible.

Thanks!
    I'll send you a message. I would
     love to know more about your journey!

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We did one cycle at home, and since it was unsuccessful and we're using anonymous donor sperm (in addition to having fertility issues with PCOS) we decided to continue future cycles with an RE. Starting 2nd cycle in Oct. with Clomid.
    ME: 28  Wife: 28
    Together since June 2005 - Married May 2015 - TTC since July 2015
    Dx: PCOS and Donor Sperm

**Trigger Warning**
    08/2015 at home IUI = BFN
    IUI #1 - 11/2015 - 50MG Clomid + 100MG Clomid + Ovidrel = BFN
    IUI #2 - 12/2015 - 100MG Clomid + 150MG Clomid + Ovidrel = BFP (Miscarried @ 13w3d)
    IUI #3 - 07/2016 - 100MG Clomid + Ovidrel = BFN
    IUI #4 - 08/2016 - 100MG Clomid + Ovidrel = ???

• Options
    I have an RE appt on the 28. I have fertility issues, so I don't think we can continue at home. Depending on what they say, maybe I can do meds and monitoring and still try at home. I feel it is more special for me and my wife but at this point at home, but we just hope the dr says it is even an option to get pregnant!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @twomommiestobe that was our same mindset; We just can't afford to do it at home when it has become very difficult to monitor when O occurs. We thought how great would it be getting pregnant by the Mrs. In the comfort of our own bed...well it'll be a memory never forgotten and hopefully the start of our path to meeting our little ones :-) I had huge fears of just not being able to get pregnant too...but so far so good, all tests are saying that my body parts are in good working order to have baby (with PCOS and my wife's non-existent sperm count being the only holdbacks right now lol) Wishing you luck at your first RE appointment. There may be some poking and prodding involved but it should be relatively easy. GL and let me know how it goes.

**Trigger Warning**
    IUI #2 - 12/2015 - 100MG Clomid + 150MG Clomid + Ovidrel = BFP (Miscarried @ 13w3d)

• Options
    claireloSCclaireloSC member
    edited September 2015
    We tried at home a couple times but it didn't work. I ended up getting pregnant with IUI. Since it was so expensive we wanted to maximize our changes and IUI is only like $300/try if your insurance doesn't cover anything. It's very hard to get pregnant at home if you're using frozen sperm, it's a little easier with fresh but it can still take a long time. It took us a year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options

We tried at home a couple times but it didn't work. I ended up getting pregnant with IUI. Since it was so expensive we wanted to maximize our changes and IUI is only like $300/try if your insurance doesn't cover anything. It's very hard to get pregnant at home if you're using frozen sperm, it's a little easier with fresh but it can still take a long time. It took us a year.
    I had read different places that IUI was a few thousand dollars each try! We can afford $300 a try :) We are using fresh because we have a known donor. If I cannot get pregnant, my wife will try but we will have to use frozen. I am scared because frozen costs SO much :(

How many rounds of IUI until you got BFP?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My IUIs are medicated (I have low ovarian reserve, and am 38), so I pay about $1800/mo.

Most of that is for ultrasounds, blood work, and the medication.  The IUI itself would run about $450, if I were skipping all that and just monitoring with OPKs, and calling them when I'm surging.

Oh right, and we pay for the frozen sperm, too.

If my blood work had been normal, this would all be a lot cheaper.  As it is, we're considering moving on to IVF if the next IUI doesn't work.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Options
    We had a "package deal" at our clinic. It was $1550 for 3 rounds. We only needed 1 try to get pregnant so we're refunded the rest.

Our sperm was around $700 a vial on top of that and we bought 6 vials. We are keeping them in storage in case we want to try for a sibling.
  • Options
    Well I had my RE appt mon. I wasn't quoted prices we could afford. It will be 1800-2200. Plus meds and plus sperm. It actually ends up more using our donor bc we have to test it, freeze it, quarantine it. There is NO way we can afford that. I honestly think we have to throw in the towel. I'm devastated. It's just not possible for us to afford that.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @twomommiestobe I'm so sorry to hear that. Would ICI with donor sperm be an option for you? At home with a syringe and it doesn't have to be cleaned...plus fresh sperm is always best...last much longer too (up to 5 days while frozen is typically only 6-12 hrs)

**Trigger Warning**

• Options
    @vnegron87 that's what we were trying but I am not ovulating at all :( I think we are going to bite the bullet and finance ivf. So, that is where we stand, just shopping clinics right now.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We are planning on reciprocal ivf. I have found the clinic we want to use, just waiting to see when we can get in :) it is so nerve-racking and exciting at the same time!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @twomommiestobe that's awesome. Keep me updated on how it goes. We are planning that for the 2nd child, but we have to get the first one conceived first

**Trigger Warning**

• Options
    @vnegron87 how is this cycle going for you?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @twomommiestobe waiting for CD1...took a month off to make sure all test were done and everything looked good...now AF doesn't want to pay me a visit. I went in for BW today to see if i needed meds to start my cycle, the poor nurse thought i was in for a beta and called me with such a sad voice to tell me i wasn't pregnant. I felt so bad for her feeling bad for me but i knew that wasn't a possibility this cycle since we hadn't done anything. Hopefully AF shows soon and I'll be starting my first medicated iui cycle. Thanks for asking :-)

Do you want to carry or will your wife carry?

**Trigger Warning**

• Options
    If all goes as planned, I'll carry. We really don't care either way, but I am a nanny so it would be easier for me to carry and come back to work sooner. :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    i am 36, I have one daughter who is 11, but my spouse and I who I have been with for 5 years decided to have one together. She did the research, We  did one iui cycle 3 years ago with clomid and BFN i also ended up with cysts from the meds. After spending a lot of money on that we gave it a break, we considered adoption. We then decided to do a home insem. 1st try was a success. We used a donor and a medicine syringe that we got from walmarts pharmacy for free. I bought a cheaper ovulaton kit. When I got my first line that I was in my fertile window I tried 12 hours after. My spouse inserted the semen through a syringe, what was left over we put in a soft cup that women use for there periods.  I slept with the soft cup in. In the morning it was very stuck to my cervix and my spouse had to help me get it out. However 3 weeks later BFP, we tested at 7dpo out of curiosity and that one was bfn so we then waited to 21dpo when we got the bfp. We are really blessed. 8 weeks preganant today hoping its smooth from here on out. Good luck to anyone trying!!! I was on here looking for ideas and suggestions before we tried so figured our story may help someone else. 
    -No meds this time around
    -didnt use any pre seed.
    -Syringe and soft cup were only things used.
    -I also had a "O" to help
  • Options
    Hi. Resurfacing after a first-year-with-baby hiatus.
    I don't know if you're still interested but dd was conceived after working from home with a known donor. Donor and I had health checks that covered all the bases, I got my BMI down to 22 to counter PCOS and then using cm as a guide, we insem'd once a day for two days of each cycle. Took us seven tries in just under a year to conceive un-medicated.
  • Options

I had read different places that IUI was a few thousand dollars each try! We can afford $300 a try :) We are using fresh because we have a known donor. If I cannot get pregnant, my wife will try but we will have to use frozen. I am scared because frozen costs SO much :(

How many rounds of IUI until you got BFP?
    @twomommiestobe
    Next time @ me so I see your comment. Sorry I just saw this now! It took us 7 rounds of IUI. Like I said before, the sperm is expensive, not the actual insemination. Our sperm bank did it for us the first 5 times, at about $300 a pop. Then we switched to a doctor, and my insurance covered those, so I ended up paying just my co-pay but the full fee was similar  - about $300. Most of it is just timing. I would recommend insemination exactly 24 hours after you get a positive ovulation with IUI and frozen sperm.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options
    @claireloSC we couldnt find a place here to do iui for under $3000 a try. We have decided to proceed with ivf. We figure if iui isn't successful after a few tries, we could have already paid for ivf.

This thread can be a great resource for those who are considering at home insemination though! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    claireloSCclaireloSC member
    edited December 2015
    That's insane! Where are you located? Have you tried just asking a regular OB-GYN? If the sperm is washed (which your sperm bank should do) all they have to do is thaw it, put it in a needless syringe, and insert into your cervix. Any regular ob-gyn can do it as long as you buy washed sperm. That being said, IVF can be the same or cheaper since it has a much higher rate of success. I know many doctors won't recommend more than 3 IUI tries for this reason - we did 7. Most of it was bad timing though. Good luck to you both, and let me know if you have any other questions! @twomommiestobe

• Options
    We were successful on the 2nd try at home. 4 trys total. 2 unsuccessful unmedicated iuis at the fertility clinic with monitored ultrasounds and triggers shots. 2 trys at home with fresh sperm from known donor.

We used a small syringe purchased on amazon and I used clear blue ovulation monitior (first reponse ovoluation monitor sucks and failed the first time so I didn't bother with it the second month.) I also charted my temps using fertility friend app to confirm ovulation on clear blue. Just inseminated once the day I peaked.

I am a healthy woman in my late 20s. Goodluck to all TTC. Those 4 months were mentally challenging. I can't imagine longer.
  • Options
    We were successful on our third try at home. We had a known donor and were able to inseminate a few times during each fertile period. We used a needleless syringe and put in my diva cup after leaving the syringe in for 10 mins or so. I Od before and after inseminating. I love that I can say she actually got me pregnant haha. (Also, we live in Australia so a know donor makes no difference to anonymous, both mums are still automatically the parents on the birth certificate)