June 2016 Moms

Moms who go Bump in the night/Randoms

Re: Moms who go Bump in the night/Randoms

• Tawny87Tawny87 member
    A light rash is common, more of a side effect than a reaction. Always good to check with the doc though!
    A light rash is common, more of a side effect than a reaction. Always good to check with the doc though!
    Yay! That's what the bag said, that they were common. That makes me happy!
  • Nadia woke at 4am for no good reason. I've been rocking her for over an hour now and she's still wide awake. i really want to lay down and close my eyes!
    S has been doing this lately around 3am. It takes anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour for him to settle back into sleep. I've been either putting him in bed with us, or having one of us go lay in the guest bed with him, because it's easier than trying to rock or hold him.
  • Loading the player...
  • Tawny87Tawny87 member
    Tawny87 said:
    anyone have any experience with penicillin reactions/ allergies? My daughter was prescribed amoxicillin yesterday after a heinous bite on her toe from her sister. She woke up with a light rash on her chest. She is going to the dr this afternoon so we will have an official answer but I was just curious if anyone had any experience?
    Ok, Dr's visit was good, she is supposed to continue on taking it. Apparently most reactions are after 5-7 days of taking it. I am just supposed to take her in if anything changes. They want to keep her on the meds because human bites are so gross.
  • meggymemeggyme member
    Has any one else started having baby tantrums? Idk if it's the teething or some developmental thing, but Jackie has been throwing tantrums when she doesn't get her way. It started out with her just crying, but now she folds in half and puts her head on the floor and screams. It would be funny if it weren't every ten seconds and I had some idea of how to handle it.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Tawny87Tawny87 member
    meggyme said:
    Has any one else started having baby tantrums? Idk if it's the teething or some developmental thing, but Jackie has been throwing tantrums when she doesn't get her way. It started out with her just crying, but now she folds in half and puts her head on the floor and screams. It would be funny if it weren't every ten seconds and I had some idea of how to handle it.
    Not with cam yet, but my girls started around a year.
  • meggyme said:
    Yes, she screams at this awful high pitch that makes your ears hurt. Still trying to figure out how to handle it at such a young age.
  • lm45678lm45678 member
    meggyme said:
    Not as frequent, but yeah. The "folding in half" sounds familiar
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Yeah. My LO will be sitting down and just put his head down on the floor and cry.
    He's been having tantrums over stupid things: finished his bottle wants more - flip to his side on bouncy and cry.
    Take a toy away - cry. Give it back to him? cry harder.
  • meggyme said:
    Yes, Madelyn has been having mini tantrums for a couple of months now. Usually when you take something away from her that she wants, then she'll lay face down on the floor and whine and occasionally kick a foot or shake an arm.  I just assumed she was picking up the behavior from my toddler.  It's cute and sad at the same time.
  • Damien just clenches his fists, cries, and then has a sudden burst of scream/cry to really drive home that he's upset. He doesn't do it too often and usually it is a secondary reaction to already being hungry or tired. This morning he did it because rather than let him go into the closet to play with toys, I made him stay put while putting his socks and shoes on. It never lasts long though, he has "shiny keys" syndrome so within a few seconds he's already distracted by something interesting. If he isn't tired or hungry, he just goes with the flow.
  • LO doesn't have these tantrums yet, but I'm cracking up at the image of her folding in half with her head on the floor lol.
    She just cannot stop moving, so her meltdowns are usually when she is exhausted, keeps moving and standing, gets wobbly, falls and hurts herself. 
  • meggymemeggyme member
    @vintagevix2016 that's something that occurred to me this morning. She threw a tantrum as I was getting her dressed and I realized since she had just woken up she was probably hungry. And the tantrums at night are usually pre-nursing and bedtime. Next time I really notice them I'm gonna try feeding her because even after dinner she'll be crabby. She's also been drinking ALL of her bottle, when she used to leave an ounce or two. The tantrums might also be tired/hungry related.
  • Tawny87Tawny87 member
    Having an 11 month old when it's 90 degrees outside is almost worse than being pregnant when it's 90, lol. Carrying them, using the carrier, pushing the stroller up a hill, getting into car seats, etc. I've sweat more over the last two days than I have for a long time. I need to find an alternative to my usual jeans and top.  :p
    I'm feeling the opposite but only with freezing rain here lol.  I'm all please bring back the mid 80's here... Although hopefully this torrential rain helps us have less fires.
  • Well we got an unexpected benefit from the warm weather on the east coast.... DH brought out the fan for our bedroom (we prefer open windows & fans to air conditioning) and LO slept through the night!!!
    I guess the noise and air circulation helps! I know most of you reached this milestone months ago, but we're still bfing through the night and just two nights before, she woke up at least twice. If this continues we may have that fan on all year round : )
  • Lizbeth86 said:
    Well we got an unexpected benefit from the warm weather on the east coast.... DH brought out the fan for our bedroom (we prefer open windows & fans to air conditioning) and LO slept through the night!!!
    I guess the noise and air circulation helps! I know most of you reached this milestone months ago, but we're still bfing through the night and just two nights before, she woke up at least twice. If this continues we may have that fan on all year round : )
    The noise really helps in our house too.  We have a creaky old house so we have a sound machine on in both kids' rooms all night every night.  Otherwise, they would wake up every time we touch a stair.
  • Lizbeth86 said:
    Well we got an unexpected benefit from the warm weather on the east coast.... DH brought out the fan for our bedroom (we prefer open windows & fans to air conditioning) and LO slept through the night!!!
    I have to have the fan going and a white noise machine on so that I can sleep properly. We have a white noise machine in Damien's room as well. There's still a fair amount of noise going on outside his door though when we're awake because we live in such a small place. We do our best to keep things quiet though.
  • edited May 2017
    So, I had to tell the girls at daycare today that Levi is restricted to being in the swing only when they go outside, or basically, he can't go out at all.  The playground is sand and Levi feels like it's his duty to ingest every last grain.  I've changed one too many sand castle diapers and I don't know what else to do.  It sucks bc he absolutely loves being outside, but I don't know what else to do until he gets past this phase.  I know all the risks involved with eating sand , which is why I made this decision.  He's been ok so far, maybe a few more poos than usual but normal and happy otherwise.  I'm just so bummed about actually having to say he can't go outside.  I almost can't even comprehend not being outside , but how else are you going to keep a determined 10 month old from doing it?
  • lm45678lm45678 member
    So, I had to tell the girls at daycare today that Levi is restricted to being in the swing only when they go outside, or basically, he can't go out at all.  The playground is sand and Levi feels like it's his duty to ingest every last grain.  I've changed one too many sand castle diapers and I don't know what else to do.  It sucks bc he absolutely loves being outside, but I don't know what else to do until he gets past this phase.  I know all the risks involved with eating sand , which is why I made this decision.  He's been ok so far, maybe a few more poos than usual but normal and happy otherwise.  I'm just so bummed about actually having to say he can't go outside.  I almost can't even comprehend not being outside , but how else are you going to keep a determined 10 month old from doing it?
    Do they take them for walks outside st all?
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • So, I had to tell the girls at daycare today that Levi is restricted to being in the swing only when they go outside, or basically, he can't go out at all.  The playground is sand and Levi feels like it's his duty to ingest every last grain.  I've changed one too many sand castle diapers and I don't know what else to do.  It sucks bc he absolutely loves being outside, but I don't know what else to do until he gets past this phase.  I know all the risks involved with eating sand , which is why I made this decision.  He's been ok so far, maybe a few more poos than usual but normal and happy otherwise.  I'm just so bummed about actually having to say he can't go outside.  I almost can't even comprehend not being outside , but how else are you going to keep a determined 10 month old from doing it?
    Is there any area without sand? Could they put a play pin outside for him when they're out there? I know it's hard when you can't be there 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Our daycare doesn't have sand boxes and the works. Our state (Texas) has so many codes to follow that every little thing one thinks is harmless is a write-up.
    The infants don't go outside much. There's artificial grass, but that's it.
    I don't want to take my LO near sand. He already sticks stuff in his mouth so much and then he sucks his two fingers, so...yech. I wish he'd stop putting everything in his mouth.
  • Just got a phone message from a parent of one of my son's school friends. He wanted to invite my 5 year old over for a sleep over. I've never been to their house and neither has my son, I don't know them well, and the parents won't even be there, they have a babysitter while they're going out to dinner who would watch the boys. Is it just me or is that a little weird? I'm trying to figure out a polite way to say "no way!"

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just got a phone message from a parent of one of my son's school friends. He wanted to invite my 5 year old over for a sleep over. I've never been to their house and neither has my son, I don't know them well, and the parents won't even be there, they have a babysitter while they're going out to dinner who would watch the boys. Is it just me or is that a little weird? I'm trying to figure out a polite way to say "no way!"
    For tonight? I would say you have family plans for the evening or something but offer to do a playdate next weekend (or whenever) so that you can spend time with them and maybe see if it can be done at their house. That way if it goes well, you can make sleepover plans down the road. It is weird that they would want to host a sleepover on an evening when they won't be there. I wouldn't want my child to be in that kind of situation even if I knew the family very well.
  • Tawny87Tawny87 member
    Just got a phone message from a parent of one of my son's school friends. He wanted to invite my 5 year old over for a sleep over. I've never been to their house and neither has my son, I don't know them well, and the parents won't even be there, they have a babysitter while they're going out to dinner who would watch the boys. Is it just me or is that a little weird? I'm trying to figure out a polite way to say "no way!"
    Maybe just say your son doesn't feel comfortable sleeping away from home yet.
  • lm45678lm45678 member
    Tawny87 said:
    Just got a phone message from a parent of one of my son's school friends. He wanted to invite my 5 year old over for a sleep over. I've never been to their house and neither has my son, I don't know them well, and the parents won't even be there, they have a babysitter while they're going out to dinner who would watch the boys. Is it just me or is that a little weird? I'm trying to figure out a polite way to say "no way!"
    I agree, and that's totally reasonable for a 5 year old
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Tawny87 said:
    I agree, and that's totally reasonable for a 5 year old
    That's what I'm planning. Seems so young for all this! Maybe at 8 I'll re consider 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • lm45678lm45678 member
    My niece is 5 and I would be really surprised if she slept out anywhere besides my house or my moms house. 

I also think this "excuse" doesn't leave any room for the next weekend invitation the way saying you are busy does.

I do think that @vintagevix2016 's idea about a day play date to get more comfortable with them is a good idea though. This way when a sleepover comes up again down the road, you'll know how you feel about the family.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • We found a photographer that we like and would want to hire to do family photos sometime soon. The shortest session is $250, plus an extra $100 if we want to book it on a weekend. To get one (1) digital file to print wherever we want, it's $175 (for 5 images it's $600, 10 images is $900, etc.). At the end of the day, this will cost us nearly $600 (includes tax and if we opt for 1 digital file). Is this the norm? I've never done this sort of photo session so I don't know anything about pricing. 
  • Tawny87Tawny87 member
    We found a photographer that we like and would want to hire to do family photos sometime soon. The shortest session is $250, plus an extra $100 if we want to book it on a weekend. To get one (1) digital file to print wherever we want, it's $175 (for 5 images it's $600, 10 images is $900, etc.). At the end of the day, this will cost us nearly $600 (includes tax and if we opt for 1 digital file). Is this the norm? I've never done this sort of photo session so I don't know anything about pricing. 
    Man, that sounds horribly expensive. I will ask my husband when I see him. He is a jack of all trades, one of those trades being photography, though he normally does product shoots as opposed to people. 
  • Tawny87Tawny87 member
    edited May 2017
    Tawny87 said:
    We found a photographer that we like and would want to hire to do family photos sometime soon. The shortest session is $250, plus an extra $100 if we want to book it on a weekend. To get one (1) digital file to print wherever we want, it's $175 (for 5 images it's $600, 10 images is $900, etc.). At the end of the day, this will cost us nearly $600 (includes tax and if we opt for 1 digital file). Is this the norm? I've never done this sort of photo session so I don't know anything about pricing. 
    Man, that sounds horribly expensive. I will ask my husband when I see him. He is a jack of all trades, one of those trades being photography, though he normally does product shoots as opposed to people. 
    Ok, my husband thinks that's outrageous! We are having family photos done next Saturday, we will get 10 to 15 images. My husband said the cost is nowhere even near that. We also live in a pretty pricy part of the country. My advice would be to call around and see what others are charging.

ETA: sorry the screenshot turned out weird. That is an example of what I found in my area.
  • We found a photographer that we like and would want to hire to do family photos sometime soon. The shortest session is $250, plus an extra $100 if we want to book it on a weekend. To get one (1) digital file to print wherever we want, it's $175 (for 5 images it's $600, 10 images is $900, etc.). At the end of the day, this will cost us nearly $600 (includes tax and if we opt for 1 digital file). Is this the norm? I've never done this sort of photo session so I don't know anything about pricing. 
    I've seen $250 for the sitting, but never seen the images cost that much. Seems crazy high to me

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Tawny87 & @AmberLiz99 So I'm not crazy in thinking the pricing is ridiculously high. I've seen other family/lifestyle photographers here with packages starting at $550 but they include digital files. I'm going to keep searching and checking with people we know for recommendations. Just sucks since we really like her style and how she does her sessions. Oh well!
  • meggymemeggyme member
    @Tawny87 & @AmberLiz99 So I'm not crazy in thinking the pricing is ridiculously high. I've seen other family/lifestyle photographers here with packages starting at $550 but they include digital files. I'm going to keep searching and checking with people we know for recommendations. Just sucks since we really like her style and how she does her sessions. Oh well!
    Maybe if you can compile comparable pricing for the area you can try to negotiate.
  • meggyme said:
    @Tawny87 & @AmberLiz99 So I'm not crazy in thinking the pricing is ridiculously high. I've seen other family/lifestyle photographers here with packages starting at $550 but they include digital files. I'm going to keep searching and checking with people we know for recommendations. Just sucks since we really like her style and how she does her sessions. Oh well!
    Maybe if you can compile comparable pricing for the area you can try to negotiate.
    That's a good idea! Thanks for the advice.  :)
    Is she/he a published photographer?  If so, then I can see that cost. Published photographers can charge whatever they want because people will pay it. Lol. The lady who did our newborn pictures is a published photographer and she was crazy expensive. She photographed Pink and her baby as well as Ziggy Marley and his baby. Her cheapest package was 2 large prints and 5 digital files for $1,000.  :#
    Is she/he a published photographer?  If so, then I can see that cost. Published photographers can charge whatever they want because people will pay it. Lol. The lady who did our newborn pictures is a published photographer and she was crazy expensive. She photographed Pink and her baby as well as Ziggy Marley and his baby. Her cheapest package was 2 large prints and 5 digital files for $1,000.  :#
    Great point! As far as I can tell, she isn't. At least there isn't anything about being published on her website. The photographer does great work (it's very well done) so I don't mean to take away from that but I mean damn, just wanna get some quality photos. 
  • Tawny87Tawny87 member
    It was our 12th wedding anniversary today. We were busy all day with kids and church things, so no celebration. Feeling old! 
    This was us on our wedding day. We had no money to speak of to spend on the wedding, I had no help with my hair and makeup, or anything extra. A family friend took pictures. It feels almost weird looking back now,

Happy anniversary!!! You look so young! That is a great picture.
    This doesn't sound outrageous for my area (NY) but it's very high. I just booked a mini session for $300 that includes 10 digital images. 
    This doesn't sound outrageous for my area (NY) but it's very high. I just booked a mini session for $300 that includes 10 digital images. 
    I think what surprises me is that images (however many) aren't included with the $400. This would be a mini sessions as well since my husband wants as minimal amount of time in fromt of the camera as possible.