September 2017 Moms

Weekly Randoms- 5/15

All the random things here.

Re: Weekly Randoms- 5/15

• Usually mrs tacos posts this, but she's a bit tied up at the moment. 
  • Loading the player...
  • winerenwineren member
    @wyomama0427 I think that sounds like a fun plan!  People with due dates the first few days of September have already hit it. 
  • @wyomama0427 I think maybe once the last person in the board/spreadsheet hits 24 weeks we could celebrate it.  

My random is has anyone tried those meal delivery boxes like hello fresh or blue apron?  I got a couple coupons in my motherhood orders, and I'm wondering if I want to do it after the baby is born to avoid grocery shopping for the first couple weeks.  
  • @Ae_Lovely321 I have never used one of those services myself, but I've helped a friend prepare a couple of Blue Apron meals that she ordered. My main complaint is that they use excessive packaging. Every little thing comes in its own plastic package and the amount of waste really bothers me. Not sure if any of the other companies are better about that because I've only seen Blue Apron. I also think it's likely much more cost effective to just buy groceries and prepare simple meals. My husband and I are planning to make a few meals in bulk to put in the freezer a couple of months before the baby comes so we know we'll have the option to not cook when we need it.
  • @Ae_Lovely321: my friend uses Blue Apron regularly and sent us an invite to try a week for free when they first came out. I thought the meals were fantastic. One of the recipes has become a regular meal in our house. However, my problem with the service is they only provide you with enough food for just that meal. Hubby and I usually eat leftovers for lunch, so we thought this was too expensive for what you get. So now I just go to their website, browse their recipes, and buy the stuff myself. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MrsJessS @Rhubarb7216 I wish we could make a bunch of freezer meals but our UK spec freezer is tiny. I barely got our 12lb turkey in it for thanksgiving.  What would be a go to meal though you so suggest since I can probably fit like 3 of them.  
  • @Ae_Lovely321 oh that makes things rough! I am planning on lasagna and probably chicken broccoli rice
  • @Ae_Lovely321 that is definitely tough with a small freezer! If you are able to do a small amount, some of my go-tos for the freezer are chili, soups/stews, and red sauce with meatballs.
  • I would prefer to wait on a viability day, but mostly because I'm later in the month and will totally feel left out. But, I don't really go in for the GIF parties anyway, so you don't really need to consider me. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • lilpootslilpoots member
    edited May 2017
    @Ae_Lovely321 H and I enjoyed Hello Fresh. Their meals are very generous portions and are worth keeping the recipes. Number of ingredients aren't excessive and you don't have to be an amazing cook. My favorite bit is they accommodate some special diets and subbing ingredients is really easy.
  • Thanks yall. I think we'll use the coupons and try a couple crockpot meals too.
  • I love the idea of a vday celebration once we've all hit the 24 week mark! 
  • We are hitting record highs in Iowa this week ladies. We are in the 90's already. I know there are lots of you down south who are already going through this. But damn a spring would have been nice! We like to wait a little longer to turn the air on but since I was melting we turned it on last night. 
  • bnmort8bnmort8 member

21 weeks FTM and trying to figure out should delivery just be me and hubby or should I have mom in room or should I also include mother-in-law.. HELP!

• bnmort8bnmort8 member
    I had tons of people ask me today when I'm due... followed by "oh.. pregnant during the hot sticky summer. There is nothing worse!  It is not fun! You will hate it! " and I'm like.... ??? Why would you say that? I responded with "pools, sundresses and flip flops ".. because that's better than boots and a winter coat over the belly. But.... seriously.  Maybe being 9 months pregnant just sucks and is uncomfortable. 

ahhhhh I have been getting this a lot lately so annoying like I know its hot in the summer
  • @bnmort8 that decision was easy for me but every woman is so different. There will never be anyone but my husband and medical staff in with me. I don't need a show. And I do not even like texting my mom let alone have her near me while giving birth. This is #3 for us and I'm not switching things up now. Lol
    But if you and your husband feel he will not be enough then maybe ask. I labored with our son by myself and the nurse with no medication while having pitocin contractions. She called him and said hey get here now because your son is coming. Thank goodness he was outside because in about 7 minutes he had our son in his arms. Lol I guess the moral of that was you do you mama. Don't stress over something that doesn't need to be stressed about. Think about your feelings and your husband's. 
  • bnmort8bnmort8 member
    tfrangul said:
    @bnmort8 that decision was easy for me but every woman is so different. There will never be anyone but my husband and medical staff in with me. I don't need a show. And I do not even like texting my mom let alone have her near me while giving birth. This is #3 for us and I'm not switching things up now. Lol
    But if you and your husband feel he will not be enough then maybe ask. I labored with our son by myself and the nurse with no medication while having pitocin contractions. She called him and said hey get here now because your son is coming. Thank goodness he was outside because in about 7 minutes he had our son in his arms. Lol I guess the moral of that was you do you mama. Don't stress over something that doesn't need to be stressed about. Think about your feelings and your husband's. 

Thank you!! I am more leaning toward just me and my husband I would love for us to enjoy that moment together without anyone interrupting us. Some people asked who would take a picture of those moments really I don't care it would be nice to have for future but I think in the moment I wouldn't want someone worrying us about a picture. Still have time to decide I guess lol
  • @bnmort8 have you done a tour at your hospital yet? If pictures are important a nurse may help after things calm down and you are recovering but again I may be out of the norm here but I have never taken pictures right after birth...my husband took some while they were weighing and such but I sure as hell was not in any! Haha
  • bnmort8bnmort8 member
    @tfrangul We have a tour in July. That's a good idea I am sure if it came down to it a nurse could take a pic. I don't see me wanting a pic right after birth tho lol I feel we will be caught up in the moment and not worried about phones or pics.
  • @bnmort8 My mom stresses me out, so I really only want DH in the room. Plus, I'm really not comfortable with the idea of others watching this process. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • bnmort8bnmort8 member
    @bridge-and-wall that's what I am worried about. I am not going want anyone other then my doc, nurse, or husband to tell me what to do or what I should be doing. My mom can be over emotional sometimes like at my wedding she cried like a baby loudly lol
  • @bnmort8 Ask yourself what they will bring to your experience. If they will be supportive and helpful and you think it would make it easier on YOU to have them there, then sure. If they will be distracting and stressful then no way. Don't feel like you have to have them there. If you invite them in, also don't feel like you have to keep them there if they are taking away from things. 

If you think you'll want an extra support person but don't want it to be your mom or MIL, you can look into doulas!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @bnmort8 I would also think about what happens after baby is born. That first hour is really important for skin-to-skin and trying to breastfeed. You'll want to be able to focus and not worry about other people wanting to hold baby and all that stuff. If you have them in, set clear boundaries about when they have to give you alone time.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • cmar1006 said:
    @jena333-2 where you at girl? Your Jesus cookies are ON POINT!! Just made a batch and I'm having a hard time not eating them all. Thanks mama!!
    YASSSS! I'm so glad you like them. 

I'm also struggling with deciding who to have in the room. DH obviously, but I've chatted with my bestie about being there too. I'm torn between not wanting people bugging me (not that she a bother in any way, but it's one more thing for me to worry about), BUT I would love pictures of those first few moments. That moment when I first see my son, the expectation on DH's face, etc. I feel like those moments are so fleeting and so precious.
  • In response to the delivery room attendees: 

It's about you and your comfort level and stress level. This is the one time in the first few weeks there won't be handfuls of people with cameras in baby's face and people wanting to hold the baby and make conversation with you. I, personally, protect that time. It's for DH and I to go through together and have that first hour to comfortably meet our child- skin to skin, breastfeed, etc. I 100% agree with a comment above- how will they support YOU? If there are people who will be awesome getting you through labour, let them in if you want. If any tiny ounce of them doesn't- don't let them in. Birth is too all-consuming to deal with pettiness or emotions of other people. Also, they may not want to see that either- My mom asked to see my during early labour, if I was willing to hug me and pray, but she specifically told me she didn't want to watch her baby in pain because she couldn't handle that. She was relieved I wasn't counting on having her in the room. Lol. My MIL stresses me out on the norm, and I'm definitely not comfortable with that kind of intimacy with her. She was a hard "no". We had a doula that took pictures for us and that was nice, but no pictures wouldn't have been a bigger factor over my comfort level if I had to choose. 
    <><><><><>DD1- May 2011<><><><><>
    <><><><><>Angel Baby- June 2012<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DD2- March 2013<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DS1- ETA September 2017<><><><><>
  • Ae_Lovely321Ae_Lovely321 member
    edited May 2017
    @MyNamesTaken I never really liked the idea of a honeyfund, probably because it reminds me of a gofundme. No, I don't want to buy a new iPhone for you. Be an adult, live within your means,  and pay for things yourself.  

ETA:  I'm not saying you as in you,  but you as in the people who make frivolous fundraiser pages.