TTC After a Loss
Options

Pregnant 1 month after loss?

hello.
i suffered a miscarriage last month(march 17) at about 7 weeks. It was very upsetting and I kinda pushed it away. My husband and I decided to stop trying and just let things take their natural course. My husband said we can't force good things to happen we just have to let them happen. I have an appointment next Tuesday with OB to make sure the mc was complete but for some reason this morning I decided to take a pregnancy test, well 2 actually. They came up faint positives on both. I did not take any pregnancy tests after the miscarriage because it was just too painful. So, I'm not sure if this is just residual hcg from the loss or new pregnancy. I bought more tests and plan to test for the next week to see if the line gets darker or goes away. 
Does anyone have experience with getting pregnant so soon after a miscarriage? I know that no one can tell me if I am pregnant or not, I was just wanting to know if anyone had a similar experience? Were you pregnant or was it residual hcg? 

Re: Pregnant 1 month after loss?

• Options
    there is a chance HCG could still be in your system.  The best thing to do is ask your doctor to check your levels.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    i agree with vlagrl29- the only way to know is to get blood betas and see if they are going up- GL! 
    Me: 36 years old   DH: 42 years old
    Married: 05.2012  
    TW:
    TTC #1 Since April 2016
    HSG/FSH/AMH/E2/SA all normal DX: unexplained IF

spontaneous BFP 01/01/2017-  Alexander was born sleeping 04/13/2017 at 19w1d  ic/chorio
    September 2017 HSG #2 & Gonal-F/Femara/Ovidrel/IUI #1 = ep (Salpingectomy of left fallopian tube)
    spontaneous BFP 01/02/2018  EDD Aug 30th  It's a GIRL!
    Cerclage placed on 03/02BabyFruit Ticker  Cerclage removal 08/02
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm asking if anyone else has experience with something similar. As previously stated I have an appointment on Tuesday.
  • Options
    The cycle (or several) after a loss can be extremely different for you.  You can experience all types of symptoms you never had before (like, ovulation cramps).  Also, you could have hcg left in your system.
    All of my follow-ups were through blood tests and 2 weeks after my D&C.  I was told to NOT have sex for those few weeks until my follow-up to make sure everything passed correctly. 
    So no, I haven't experienced anything similar.  And as iterated above, this is NOT the place to be asking this.  Personally, as someone who's been trying for years now, with 4 losses, this post is really rubbing me the wrong way. If you aren't tracking, weren't 'trying', and haven't had a follow-up or any way to know that your HCG levels went back down to 0, then the only thing you can do is wait until Tuesday when you talk to your doctor to find out what's going on... or until your period is several WEEKS late.
    Please don't ask this board if you are pregnant again, even in a 'i'm asking but not asking way.'  

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• Options
    Image result for rules meme

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• Options
    well I'd assume your OB was doing blood draws with HCG until it went to 0 - did she do that?  I know personally I've never experienced what you are.  But please don't drive by BFP.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @cait32 I find it odd that you are posting on a ttcal board seeing as I remember you from July2017 when I was on there and you have no previous losses and are currently still on there.

@meatytugboat it is possible to still have hcg left in your system. My ob made me check my levels until they reached 0. For me it took about 16 days. I would definitely talk to your ob about it to get betas done and make sure everything is out. 
    You may have more help in pregnancy after loss to see if anyone has been through something similar. 

• Options
    Shudders at the July 2017 board.  That was also my birth month. Due July 25th.  We joked about Christmas in July before my heart was ripped out of my chest. 

Baby #1: BFP on 10/12/2011, EDD 6/24/2012 Born: 6/16/2012 Boy!

Baby #2: BFP on 11/11/2016, EDD 7/25/2017 - MC 1/2/2017

• Options
    This was also posted in TTGP so.....were you looking for a different answer from us? *shrugs*
    Me: 39 DH: 39
    CP 1/25/16 4.5 weeks, developed Graves' disease
  • Options
    @meatytugboat I'm so sorry for your loss.

When I went for a 12 week appt, I still had pregnancy symptoms.  It was a horrible shock for me to find out then that I had an MMC.  A few days prior to this, I went to my primary care physician who confirmed pregnancy via a urine test. I was unable to go sooner because I was waiting for insurance to kick in. 

At my OB appt, they confirmed MMC but took a blood test to look at my HCG levels.  My HCG levels were lower than it was supposed to be, but still fairly high.  That was why I was still testing positive and experiencing symptoms although the baby was already gone.  I had to be given misoprostol to get the process going.  My body was just too stubborn to let the tissue go and after going through a second round of miso, I ended up having to have a D&C.  After being given the first dose of misoprostol, I bled the entire time until 2 weeks post D&C.  My doctor told me that for some people, it takes a while for HCG levels to go down, but for others, levels go down quickly.  It differs from person to person.  He said AF would arrive after my HCG levels went down.  AF didn't arrive for 5 weeks post D&C.. since I normally have a 28-29 day cycle, I decided to take a pregnancy test to see if it would still give me a positive.  The only reason I took the test was to look at HCG levels because I was anxious for AF. At that point it was a negative, and AF came about a week later.

Post D&C, I was told not to TTC until after AF arrived. My husband and I were very careful in following those instructions.  It allows the body time to heal and it also gives doctors an idea of dating a pregnancy based on LMP.

Hopefully the doctor can give you some advice on this.  I thought I'd share my story since in my case, a urine test still showed a BFP even though I had a nonviable pregnancy.
    **~About Me~**
    Married: 06/13/16
    BFP: 10/25/16     MMC: 01/24/17 (12 weeks)
    BFP: 04/23/17     Due Date: 01/01/18
  • Options
    @meatytugboat I'm so sorry for your loss.

When I went for a 12 week appt, I still had pregnancy symptoms.  It was a horrible shock for me to find out then that I had an MMC.  A few days prior to this, I went to my primary care physician who confirmed pregnancy via a urine test. I was unable to go sooner because I was waiting for insurance to kick in. 

At my OB appt, they confirmed MMC but took a blood test to look at my HCG levels.  My HCG levels were lower than it was supposed to be, but still fairly high.  That was why I was still testing positive and experiencing symptoms although the baby was already gone.  I had to be given misoprostol to get the process going.  My body was just too stubborn to let the tissue go and after going through a second round of miso, I ended up having to have a D&C.  After being given the first dose of misoprostol, I bled the entire time until 2 weeks post D&C.  My doctor told me that for some people, it takes a while for HCG levels to go down, but for others, levels go down quickly.  It differs from person to person.  He said AF would arrive after my HCG levels went down.  AF didn't arrive for 5 weeks post D&C.. since I normally have a 28-29 day cycle, I decided to take a pregnancy test to see if it would still give me a positive.  The only reason I took the test was to look at HCG levels because I was anxious for AF. At that point it was a negative, and AF came about a week later.

Post D&C, I was told not to TTC until after AF arrived. My husband and I were very careful in following those instructions.  It allows the body time to heal and it also gives doctors an idea of dating a pregnancy based on LMP.

Hopefully the doctor can give you some advice on this.  I thought I'd share my story since in my case, a urine test still showed a BFP even though I had a nonviable pregnancy.
    Thank you for sharing.  I just had a mmc.  D&C is scheduled for Tuesday after cytotec did literally nothing.  I'm still getting BFPs and feeling pregnant.  It's very bizarre and sad.