July 2016 Moms

Feeding Your Baby

Re: Feeding Your Baby

• Loading the player...
  • Now that the weather is starting to heat up, has anyone considered giving a bottle of water to baby in their crib during naps? Is that even something you do at all? I feel like I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on it. We haven't tried it, but from what I remember from last summer L does not love the heat or being hot. I wasn't sure if having some extra water with her might be helpful when falling asleep. 
  • arhodes6arhodes6 member
    edited May 2017
    @LDSJM123 we have never done purées, only table food. I kind of wish I would have done a little of both because now he hates the texture of stuff like oatmeal and guacamole. 
  • @ldsjm123 We are also only on table food. We did baby led weaning and she just eats what we eat! E loves smoothies too. 
  • I don't know if it would help any of the mamas struggling with what to feed their baby's. But for me, I just try to keep it simple. M's meal may not always make sense, but if all the food groups are covered I don't care. 1st breakfast today (she has 2 because she wakes up so blasted early) was cheerios, banana, and cheese. But I'll give her eggs at all hours of the day because it's a great (and easy) protein source or beans for the same reason. I saw this and it made so much sense. Hopefully some of you find it encouraging.

• Yes to squeeze pouches and also baby cheese puffs! He seems to like fruit smoothies which is only the fruit,  almond milk and ice blended if I have a shortage of baby food! 
    jodi
    whitehall, pa
    every adventure requires a first step- C.C.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Heathereaddy I am all about the quick easy meals for the twins. We do refrigerated precooked grilled chicken breast (I think they're Applegate naturals?), kale and spinach nuggets (Dr. Praeger's), veggie burgers, all beef hot dogs, deli turkey, and tons and tons of fresh fruit. I know you're in NE like me, I get most of their stuff at Trader Joe's or HyVee, but Whole Foods has some amazing stuff too. 
  • Love Trader Joe's for quick and easy meals! We did frozen veggie patties and frozen fried rice, but I also am not against heating up some veggies in a pinch. 
  • I make applesauce and mashed sweet potatoes for her potatoes. I think those are the only purees I'm doing. He rest of her meals consist of veggies and/or fruit with a variety of main dishes I continue to experiment with. 
  • S would eat fruit ALL DAY LONG (thanks for the fruit cup idea @LDSJM123 :) - far faster than dicing EVERYTHING) She is a bit more picky about veggie finger foods so if she isn't eating them I'll bust out the purees again because she does like and eat them- a lot.  She loves oatmeal and yogurt.  But as far as meals go I just give her what we are having...I struggle on pizza nights and nights where our schedule is off or we aren't eating anything healthy/baby friendly. 

I've been doing much better about my choking fear lately- and i think becuase of that she has been better about eating.  We tried spaghetti-Os last night!  She dug them, ha. 
  • Totally going to do the chili this weekend, @LDSJM123! Thank you for the confidence. Can I ask why you drained the liquid? 

Also those of you with kiddos liking the smoothies, I'm guessing your babe is a pro at sippy cups? She made huge strides over the course of about 48 hours last week. But I haven't tried anything. It water. Maybe I should try a smoothie out?
  • I just drained the liquid because I didn't feel like cleaning up a soup mess or spoon feeding her. Lol Nothing but pure laziness on my part  :D

M still sucks with a sippy. So I make her smoothies thick and spoon feed them. I've also frozen them for "ice cream" for her too.
  • I just ordered off Amazon some of those disposable place mats to use at restaurants. They come with some adhesive around the edges to hold in place. Apparently my mom said L was a little fussy at the restaurant yesterday because she couldn't "self feed", HAHA! I imagine it won't be long until we're trying them out....they arrive Saturday. They got decent reviews. Hopefully it's not a foodie mess!!
  • Thanks ladies for the suggestions! I still get kinda nervous giving Camille food that's not puréed. So far we've tried risotto, strips of chicken beasts, chocolate and some dried cereal in addition to purées
  • @TiffRox81- I love those mats! Self feeding keeps DD2 entertained for at least 30 minutes. Makes eating out relaxing:) 
  • FTM53FTM53 member
    if you're ever out and about,  most gas stations sell bananas and the individual Chobani yogurts. They are good snacks for baby
  • @TiffRox81 did you check your dollar store? Thats where we found ours! 
  • @babycakesday Right after I ordered, I wondered about the dollar store. I swear I'm there weekly now with my party ideas. I'll definitely check now. Thanks!!!
  • I would do more table food if I wasn't so bad about making meals. I don't really eat breakfast usually and lunch is usually refrigerator hodgepodge during nap time. Dinner is inconsistent and we are really bad about sitting down to eat together, so giving him whatever I eat rarely times out well even though he loves to try what I'm eating if he catches me eating! Lol. I don't know how to have a routine, it's even harder now that I work at home...time is just one solid blur. Baby steps though, nap times are getting more consistent now that he self soothes better and I am making an effort to get him in his high chair and fed a full meal of something at the general breakfast, lunch, dinner times of day. If I ever master the art of meal prep and planning, it will be a miracle. Also, thanks for the laugh @LDSJM123 . Parenting these days makes me want to stay away from people until he's 18. Hahaha. Love this group!
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Is anyone having issues introducing solids because of lack of teeth? Our little one only has her two bottom teeth and we are finding it difficult to introduce a variety of solids, but she loves purees. She will gag on many "table" foods. I will also admit that she has never been a big eater...milk or food. The stories of the babies eating full meals sounds crazy to me. We are lucky if we get more than a few bites! 
  • Elijah has four teeth but he still doesn't seem to be eating much.  He likes putting food in his mouth and lately has been cramming it full before spitting most of it out.  I think he's still figuring it out!   But having fun doing it.
  • kburg15kburg15 member
    We still have 0 teeth over here, but Field finished off an entire fish filet and side of applesauce from the children's menu yesterday. The day before was two small chicken breasts and side of fruit. I thought we'd have more time before ordering him his own plate of food, but he eats way too much for us to share with him. 
    I will say he gagged the first few days we offered food, but he got used to it quickly and figuring out how to manipulate it in his mouth. Now even though he still has no teeth, I have a lot more trust in him for handling lots of different textures and sizes. 
  • @Caseymw118 Baby J was just like this. But I just kept introducing them and now she pretty much chews everything. Babies don't need teeth to chew. They use their gums.  Just keep trying. It'll happen eventually. 
  • No teeth here at all, and E is eating everything we eat. She's able to gum everything.
  • FTM53FTM53 member
    Only the two bottom teeth here, too, but DS eats everything we do. At first, I made sure it was soft enough by "biting" it with my lips over my teeth or just pushing it against my teeth with my tongue, but now I've learned for the most part what's soft enough for him to gum chew. He eats everything. Even had some of my ribs last night. 
  • Baby J is eating solids as long as she isn't in a high chair and they are on my plate. Now she's refusing to eat vegetables. Anyone else have this problem? How'd you fix it? 
  • Caseymw118 - at our 9 month checkup I said the same thing to the pedi- that i thought she would do better with solids once she has more teeth because food "seems to slide right out"...she said nope, teeth don't matter.  They can gum most anything and that she was just still learning.  Sure enough- a month later the only stuff that "slips out" are veggies...
  • Agreed about not letting no teeth be an issue. Miss M only has 2 bottoms and eats everything we do with no problems :) 
  • FTM53FTM53 member
    How are you ladies handling silverware? Or things that require silverware to eat? 

DS is getting pretty independent with the feeding himself, but hasn't gotten the hang of spoon usage for oatmeal, yogurt, or stew/soup. 
  • M loves throwing plates/silverware on the floor if she's eating. So all her food goes on the tray or I feed her stuff that requires a spoon. She hasn't shown a big interest in trying to take it from me to do it herself. I've been kind of waiting for that sign. 
  • Yeah I still help him with anything that requires dishes or silverware. He loves taking the spoon from me and holding it in his mouth, but he also loves flinging the spoon across the room...
    Finger food for awhile I think, haha
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  •  M has started getting 1 ounce of cows milk in her bottle when I'm at work. We're 1.5 weeks in, and it's been going well. The plan is in 2 weeks to up it to 2 ounces. And we'll continue this every 2 week cycle so she'll have her first full cup of milk the week of her birthday. Still haven't figured how to implement it when I'm home, but I'll cross that bridge after she's 1. 

• I'm starting this weekend!! Awesome! Glad she's enjoying it.