May 2017 Moms

diaper pails

kat81kat81 member
edited May 2017 in May 2017 Moms
I'm going to find it in the registry / equipment threads back from months and months ago, but I'd also like to ask you this very time sensitive question -- what diaper pail do you recommend? We had one previously that didn't have hi-tech odor management (i.e. it was basically just a regular pail with one little deodorant disk in the lid) but would like something real this time around, esp because to start off the baby is sharing our room.

The question is time sensitive because yesterday was my due date...we need to buy/order this thing like last week, haha. But now some of you are already using your pails with your newborns, so maybe you have some insight into which ones are good/bad?

ETA: and I fully acknowledge this is board clutter and totally against our usual way of doing things, but I'm desperate for some quick answers. I'll try to play nice next time. :-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: diaper pails

• @kat81 My baby isn't here yet but the Ubbi gets great reviews because it's stainless steel rather than plastic so it supposedly holds odors better. 

I think we have the munchkin because someone gifted it to us, but I'd probably go with the Ubbi if given the choice.
  • kns1988kns1988 member
    I recommend the Ubbi diaper pail. It might look stupid expensive for a receptacle to hold poop, but we let it fill up for a week and it didn't smell at all. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ubbi-Steel-Diaper-Pail-White/dp/B00821FLT4 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Loading the player...
  • kat81kat81 member
    kns1988 said:
    I recommend the Ubbi diaper pail. It might look stupid expensive for a receptacle to hold poop, but we let it fill up for a week and it didn't smell at all. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ubbi-Steel-Diaper-Pail-White/dp/B00821FLT4 
    I sent my husband a bunch of links (he didn't want me to just buy one -- he wanted more info and to select himself) and he was thinking this one.

I did find the baby gear thread and I'm going through it now as well. I hope we can come to a decision soon. I'm much more impulsive than him so if this had just been up to me it would be at our house now but he's the careful "do your research" one and that's probably a good thing. :smile:

• kat81kat81 member
    If you have the Ubbi now -- do you think the opening is big enough for bigger toddler diapers? This apparently came up in the reviews. I'm going to tag some people who were in the earlier baby gear thread on this topic who mentioned bigger kids and this pail, but no need to respond.
    @wifeinraleigh28 @chickyclg

• mcvgalmcvgal member
    I'm still using the same diaper genie since DS1 in 2011. It does the trick. The only drawback is when I get lazy and don't empty it soon enough. When it's too full, it can be a little stinky.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• We are re-using the Diaper Champ from DD and we love it. I'm not sure any pail will contain poop diapers, but the Diaper Champ does well with the breast milk poop diapers. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • I had this was DD. It's great! I also ordered an Ubbi based off recommendations here, but haven't used it yet. 

Baby Trend Diaper Champ Deluxe, Pink https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IX4QO8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_nnEfzbQQWZZXK
  • Same as @BabyMC517 we have the Dekor plus. At BRU the clerk said it was her favorite and we read tons of reviews. I've also used and like the Playtex diaper genie. I hear munchkin is good but I don't like how you put the diaper in it.
  • We have an ubbi as well and love it so far. I got it on sale on zulilly I'm pretty sure 
                     imageimage
    Anniversary
  • SKZWSKZW member
    Another vote for the diaper genie. Pullups fit no problem.
  • L1C4galL1C4gal member
    Glad you asked this! I'm in the same boat--baby will be here within a week and we have no diaper pail to speak of :# Gotta get that Amazon Prime order in right now! I registered for the Ubbi and haven't gotten it yet, so I was debating on whether to order it now, vs. something like the Diaper Genie. The Ubbi gets great reviews...the only thing I'm wondering is about the hassle of having to use your hands to open it (rather than a foot pedal) when juggling a squirmy baby. For those that have it, is this really an issue? And does that outweigh the smell protection factor of the stainless steel? FTM here so I'm clueless!

Tagging @kns1988 and @MrsFreeman2010 who said they have/like it. Thanks in advance!
  • Diaper genie FTW. We keep it in the bathroom now so further isolate the smell. 
  • mcvgal said:
    I'm still using the same diaper genie since DS1 in 2011. It does the trick. The only drawback is when I get lazy and don't empty it soon enough. When it's too full, it can be a little stinky.
    Same here. Same Diaper Genie going strong since DD1. No issues so I choose to stick with what works!
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • kns1988kns1988 member
    @L1C4gal, I don't mind having to open the lid. My baby is too young to be rolling off the changing table yet, but I don't think it'll be a problem. I can reach down and open it with one hand on him. I really think the way it holds the smell in makes it a winner! 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• I haven't used my Ubbi yet, but that's what we got. I like that it's steel (in my plentiful experience with animal poop, steel contains smell better than plastic) and that you can use your own bags (makes up for it being expensive to begin with). It also has a little locking mechanism on top so you could theoretically stop it from being randomly opened by a toddler or something. In regards to opening it, I think it's very easy to do one-handed. You can simply push the lid open with the back of your hand (if you're holding a diaper) and drop the diaper in, then pull it closed.
  • L1C4galL1C4gal member
    Thanks @kns1988 and @starphish18! I appreciate the input :)
  • We hate our diaper genie. Little man is going through so many diapers we are changing the bag almost daily. We were hoping to only have to change it 2 times a week when trash runs. We may start only putting poopy diapers in it. 
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

• @BeachMommy2B I've nannied for families who only use diaper pails for poopy diapers. I don't think the pee makes the garbage smell. 
  • @L1C4gal so easy to open. We had a diaper genie (I think? Maybe a similar but different brand?) with DD and I thought it was difficult to get the bags out and loud to open and close. This one is infinitely easier and I love that we can use our own trash bags
                     imageimage
    Anniversary
  • kat81kat81 member
    Thanks everyone! This is super helpful. Glad to have helped @L1C4gal who's in the same boat. :smile: