May 2017 Moms

Pumping Questions

Re: Pumping Questions

• melonmug said:
    Feeling very excited to have ordered my Medela Freestyle a few days ago. It was an upgrade, so I had to pay a extra, but I get the tote bag and freezer pack and a few storage bottles to go with it. I also get a voucher for a free hands-free pumping bra and an accessories kit, so it kinda makes it worth it.

With my last babe, I pumped all the time. I struggled hardcore with supply, and pumped to try to increase milk. From that, I already have pump in style advance, and a spectra s2. I also rented a Medela Harmony. I did not see any difference in how much milk was pulled from any of the pumps, so I mostly used the spectra s2, because it was more comfortable. I also used the Harmony quite a bit, because it was so recommended to build supply.

I'm just excited to try something new! I've heard that the freestyle is much louder than the PISA, but is much more portable. Given that I will have three pumps, portability probably won't be that big of a deal. I can just set up a pump at work and one at home.

I plan to start pumping while I'm still in the hospital this time. I would like to lay a strong foundation for supply. I've heard that allowing the baby to have a full feed at both breast followed by a 5-10 minute pumping session is the way to go, so I will try that from the start. Knowing my luck, I will end up with an oversupply this time!
    I've heard about all these pumps but I'm still a noob!  I still look up a lot of them and stuff but so far I've only seen or heard a lot about the madelas. I myself have one baby so I only ever used the lansinoh cause I was new to everything and didn't  know a thing about breastfeeding pumps!  But I heard that baby r us rents put the machine of madela Symphony I think? 
  • So my amazing best friend sold me her two PISA pumps and all of her accessories. It's crazy how much stuff there is! I need a lesson! Does the tubing get sterilized too? 

I second this....how do you sterilize tubing??
  • Loading the player...
  • SKZW said:
    @RedInLove: Did you see this article? My takeaways are: even smelly milk is not harmful to baby, it can be mixed with fresh to help the flavor, and scalding to 180 degrees in a saucepan does the trick (though lower temps seem to work).

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/lipase-expressedmilk/

I just bookmarked it to read tomorrow, thank you!!

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • I just want to say how lucky you ladies are that get a pump through insurance! Mine doesn't cover one  :(
  • Thanks guys!! I feel like such a FTM and a bit of an idiot when it comes to this stuff!! 
  • @ShadeofGreen816 Don't feel that way! I'm sitting here so glad you @starphish18 ask such great FTM questions!
  • STM Tip: find someone who can teach you hands-on how to hand express milk post-pump. You can use it to bring milk to the nipple to encourage latching when BF and helps you be able to empty your breasts completely after pumping. You can likely find some YouTube videos on it, but seriously, find someone who can help you in person, it makes a big difference
  • Re Sarah Wells Pump bags: I got the grey Lizzy bag from Bed Bath and Beyond online and was able to use a BBB coupon which took about $20 off. They only have a few to pick from, but saving a few bucks is saving a few bucks!
  • @chailife34 Yes! I love lactation cookies. Even if they don't help supply, they are amazing to eat and more nutritious than a regular cookie. This is the recipe I like the most.
  • chailife34chailife34 member
    edited May 2017
    Bumping this up @kns1988 and @mrsrep123 so we don't lose any of the good stuff we've already covered. 

Roll call! Anyone who is pumping a lot, check in here!
  • kns1988kns1988 member
    Pumping right now, actually, at 3 in the morning :) I never even looked at this thread because I didn't have much interest in pumping before. I assumed I'd just figure it out when I went back to work. Now I have 5 pages to catch up on!
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• When dd comes out I'll be pumping I've decided after hospital to go back to eping 
  • mrsrep123mrsrep123 member
    edited May 2017
    STM Tip: find someone who can teach you hands-on how to hand express milk post-pump. You can use it to bring milk to the nipple to encourage latching when BF and helps you be able to empty your breasts completely after pumping. You can likely find some YouTube videos on it, but seriously, find someone who can help you in person, it makes a big difference
    I forgot I did this the first time when pumping for DS. Thanks @chailife34! Just finished another session 2nd going to hand express now!

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• chailife34chailife34 member
    edited May 2017
    Bumping this up...

How many times a day are you pumping? 
    Typical yield?
    Is baby nursing as well?
    What have you found increases output effectively?
    Any other tips?
  • @chailife34 and @kns1988 we should make this a weekly check in...

How many times a day are you pumping? 7-8
    Typical yield? It's still slowly increasing, but 26-27 oz a day these last couple of days
    Is baby nursing as well? No
    What have you found increases output effectively? Not doing anything special - eating/snacking often, drinking lots of water, massaging before pumping
    Any other tips? Listening to music while pumping

I emailed our pediatrician about whether or not to continue waking at 3 hours and she said to still feed on demand and/or waking every 3 hours, even through the night. Sometimes DS2 likes to "sleep in" (an extra hour) and I thought I could capitalize on this, but not yet.

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• lnds32lnds32 member
    Just out of curiosity, how are the moms who ordered the Spectra pump liking it? I am so impressed by how efficient it is compared to the Medela PISA! I EBF and only pump 1-2 times a day just to build a stash so I'm not using it extensively but it's been great so far! I breastfed DS and pumped at work for 15 months with the PISA and it would take at least 40 minutes to get 4-5 ounces. So far, the Spectra gets 3-4 ounces out in 15 minutes! I am so happy about this as I will be going back to work in August! So happy I went with this pump!
  • SKZWSKZW member
    I have the Spectra S2 and really like it! I like that it's a closed system and I find it's comfortable, as much as a pump can be.  ;)
  • kns1988kns1988 member
    @mrsrep123, how old is your little? I was wondering the same thing about whether to keep feeding every 3 hours, but I think the answer will be to keep doing it.

I 2nd listening to music or podcasts while pumping. It helps pass the time. And a weekly check in would be good! 

• kns1988kns1988 member
    One of the worst things about pumping is when I'm home alone and he's fussing while I try to pump. I want to comfort him, but I don't want to cut my session short. As long as he's just fussy and not screaming, I keep him next to me on the bed and try to entertain him with a pacifier until I'm done. Anyone else have tips for this?

• @kns1988 DS2 is 2 weeks and 3 days (term baby born 39w5d). I cant remember when we were able to let DS1 sleep through the night without waking, but the pediatrician said to keep doing it for now.

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• How many times a day are you pumping?  6-7 (down from 8-10 in the NICU)
    Typical yield? 140-170 mL (both sides) which equates to ~4-6 oz (this is WAY up from right after I had mastitis)
    Is baby nursing as well?  Claire nurses 1-3 times per day (mostly for comfort or to help me clear out plugs if I notice my output decreasing). I haven't been working with Owen much since coming home from the NICU but I think he could catch on if I use the nipple shield for a short time (he seems to need something firm to latch onto, just like Claire did in the beginning). I just need to make it a priority. I would love to have the option to nurse both babies for comfort / a quick feed if I forget milk or run out while out and about!
    What have you found increases output effectively?  Pumping for enough time (15-25 minutes depending on whether I can relax and get 2-3 letdowns per pump session or not). Drinking and eating enough. Getting enough rest. Hands-on pumping (compressing different sections of the breast when I notice the flow/spray decreasing).
    Any other tips? Finding something to keep my mind busy (in the MOTN, if I'm not trying to also bottle-feed two babies at the same time as I pump!) was key to me not hating every pumping session. I'm currently watching The Great British Baking Show / The Crown as well as bumping while pumping. It's my me time. ;)

@kns1988  I thought Claire would never catch on to nursing and resigned myself to ‘comfort’ nursing her. I kept it up 0-2 times per day and at this point she actually transfers enough to not want the bottle afterwards (6 weeks since hospital discharge, 10 weeks after starting to work on at-breast feeds). If you want to nurse, there’s still hope. (It also doesn’t have to be 100% one or the other - I don’t plan to nurse Claire exclusively since I haven’t been working with Owen much during my leave). 

@lnds32  I haven't noticed a *huge* efficiency difference between the Spectra and the Symphony (all I've used so far), but I'm absolutely sure that there is a difference between the Spectra and the PISA (latter of which I got through insurance, while the Spectra I bought out of pocket). The biggest plus for me with the Spectra is the comfort aspect. It took a couple of days to get used to the vibration "suckle" compared to the smooth suck of the Symphony/PISA but now I'm a believer. Love it.

@mrsrep123  I hope you get the green light to go longer between feeds at night soon!

@chailife34  How are things going for you?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• @lnds32 I love the Spectra. My friend lent hers to me for a few weeks and it was amazing. I just ordered my own since she asked for hers back, and now that I'm back to using the Medela PISA while waiting for the Spectra, it makes me miss it even more. It has all the bells and whistles: effective pump settings, a light, timer, handle, wireless rechargeable battery, and is lightweight. Can't wait for it to come in! 

@mrsrep123 I agree, weekly check in makes sense. I'll try to remember to start it next Wednesday.

@kns1988 thanks for the reminder to stick with it, it's hard sometimes but worth it!

I'm still struggling with output, I'm about half of what you guys are at, about 8-10 oz a day plus nursing. My right breast does not let down near what the left does, it's at about 4:1 left/right. I'm drinking mother's milk tea, taking fenugreek 3x a day, occasionally using fennel or clary sage essential oil (with coconut oil topically), and using a tincture (Wishgarden Milk Rich with goat's rue). I'm trying to pump as much as possible but because my life has been so busy lately I'm only getting 5-7 sessions in a day, power pumping often. I seem to be able to keep up with baby's demand, he's gaining well, so maybe he's getting more than I think via nursing. Hopefully it'll increase soon and I'll try to add additional sessions.
  • I need to come back and answer all of the questions, but I wanted to say I have the Spectra S2 (non battery, thinks it's 2 lol). I really like it. I have nothing to compare it too, but it's not as uncomfortable as I thought it would be. Curious, what level do you all use? I don't even know how far up it goes! 

"A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • kns1988kns1988 member
    @mdlorenz, that's great that you were able to get Claire to nurse! I should try offering it to him more often and see how he does. 

• Ladies what helped me a ton was I would pump and feed at the same time. I would hook up put ds cradled by the boppy so that his head was touching my mid thigh. Then I could hold bottle comfortably in his mouth as I pumped this cut down on time. My hand would be touching his right cheek. Also remember you can put all your pump stuff in fridge between pumps so you only have to do a wash once a day there. 
  • Are you still all limiting your caffeine intake while BFing/EPing?

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• kns1988kns1988 member
    mrsrep123 said:
    Are you still all limiting your caffeine intake while BFing/EPing?
    I'm so bad about this because I love coffee. I try to stick to 2 cups in the morning, but sometimes I have a 3rd in the afternoon. It doesn't seem to be bothering DS. 

• @mrsrep123 I'm not limiting caffeine but I'm also not drinking as much. Trying to cut back so I can nap mid day if I need to (but can never find the time)

@BabyMC517 I'm using level 2, otherwise it hurts too much. I switch through the modes every 2-3 minutes
  • @chailife34 I must be crazy being on level 5 then...lol I haven't been switching between the modes. Is that something I should try? 

• @babymc517 Definitely try it! It often triggers another letdown. The level depends on your comfort, I'm a weeny and don't like nipple stimulation normally, so 2 is all I can handle.
  • @chailife34 I tried it the last couple of sessions. Seemed to get a little more! I sometimes will lower the level if I'm sore, which is what I did this time, but don't seem to get as much. Ugh and the flange was off on my left boob and so I didn't get much milk. Makes me mad! lol I really need to get the hands free bra. I'm sure that would help keep them in place! 

• BabyMC517 said:
    @chailife34 I tried it the last couple of sessions. Seemed to get a little more! I sometimes will lower the level if I'm sore, which is what I did this time, but don't seem to get as much. Ugh and the flange was off on my left boob and so I didn't get much milk. Makes me mad! lol I really need to get the hands free bra. I'm sure that would help keep them in place! 
    Yesssss, @babymc517. The hands free bra is a necessity! Amazon it, one day shipping, stat!

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• I'm loving the spectra s1 pump, it's so quiet compared to my medela. I'm sort of having the opposite problem, i have an over supply. I've been trying to only pump once a day when im really uncomfortable during the morning. Baby is breastfeeding about every 2 hours. Today I had visitors over and I looked down and noticed I soaked through nursing pads and 2 shirts. 

• @lrwardrop I pump once over night because my breasts are so full this morning I got 8 oz! She started getting green poop which I think is from fore milk imbalance from my over supply ugh so many little things to worry about
  • @lrwardrop I pump once over night because my breasts are so full this morning I got 8 oz! She started getting green poop which I think is from fore milk imbalance from my over supply ugh so many little things to worry about
    Yes so many things! I also wonder about the fore milk imbalance, since I have so much milk I don't know if its best to just offer one boob or both at a feeding. I've been doing both but who knows if that's the proper thing to do.