October 2017 Moms

Finding a pediatrician

This came up in another thread and I think it would be useful to discuss as a group.

When should a FTM start looking and line up a pediatrician?
When should a STM contact the current ped to let them know that a new baby is on the way?
How did you find your pediatrician?
When choosing a ped, what questions should you ask?
If you have been through this before, share your story!
*Siggy warning - loss mentioned*
Preemie ID DDs; then DS; then natural M/C; now due 10/17
High risk for pre-term: weekly Makena injections

Re: Finding a pediatrician

• When should a FTM start looking and line up a pediatrician? no harm in starting now!
    When should a STM contact the current ped to let them know that a new baby is on the way? yes, DD2 has yearly appointment today i am telling her at the appointment.
    How did you find your pediatrician? it is the same practice i went to as a kid, but different doc. my bff worked there at the time so she just told me who was the best and i went with it. she did not steer me in the wrong direction!
    When choosing a ped, what questions should you ask? mine was pretty simple "are you accepting new patients?" haha.
    If you have been through this before, share your story! it is overwhelming being a mom let alone a FTM. you will have a lot of ZOMG SOMETHING IS TERRIBLY WRONG! moments when in reality it is a hiccup. so go with someone who makes you comfortable, for me that meant a straight shooter. i want someone to tell me "settle down this is nothing" or say "this could be xyz, so we will look into it"...but for you that might mean humoring you. also make sure you like the practice in general. i only see our doc for annuals not often for sick visits. so make sure you like the flow of everything. and if possible location! you end up at the doc a lot more than you think you will. it is a PITA to get time off work etc. so try to stay pretty local so you aren't driving all around creation to boot.
                                      DD1 - 10/11/13                 DD2 - 5/07/15

Pregnancy Ticker

May Siggy Challenge: Parenting Fails
    Image result for parenting fails
  • Loading the player...
  • My OB brought it up at 24 or 28 weeks and gave me a list of pediatricians with her top recommendations circled. We scheduled meet and greets with doctors at two different practices while I was still pregnant. I'm glad we did because it was easy to see who we connected better with, and get a sense of which office was more convenient. I think we asked about office hours during the week/weekends, how they handled questions after hours, etc. 

I haven't notified the pedi about baby #2 yet, will probably do that after the a/s.
    You are a model parent.  I bow down to you.  

On my first go round, I knew nothing about how or who to pick.  I did see a couple in doing one of those pre-baby interviews a few years ago and they were having a tour of the office.  The FTM was asking about vaccinations policies as it sounded like she was on the fence for delayed schedule; the ped did a great job of sharing his reasoning for preferring the ordinary vaccination schedule without belittling this FTM who had probably only done a little brief Dr. Google reading. 
  • JessDGJessDG member
    Thank you for starting this!  I figure once school is out mid June, I'll start looking for a ped.  These are all such helpful to read.  I'm so glad I can come here for STM+ experiences and recommendations. :)
  • ariz17ariz17 member
    I know thanks @aprilsarahjune ! This has been so helpful  :)
  • Thank our @aprilsarahjune for starting this thread.  This is great info to have.  We were given a list of peds in our health system at our first OB appointment, so I'll start doing my research on them now.  I'll also ask my friends for recommendation.  
    June 2017 Siggy Challenge:  "You had one job to do!"

BabyFruit Ticker
  • With our first, we didn't have pediatrician lined up. We just went with the practice that does the hospital rounds. In hindsight, we probably should have researched more and done that earlier.  But we ended up being pretty lucky and we love our pediatrician.  

We asked basic questions at the first appointment, such as what their after hours policy is, and do they accept unvaccinated kids. 

One piece of advice I would give is don't be afraid to speak up or even switch doctors. When ours was out we had a horrible experience with one of the other doctors in the practice. I refuse to have her see my kids. Trust your instincts and if you aren't connecting with that doctor for some reason, switch. 
  • When should a FTM start looking and line up a pediatrician? Whenever you have the time, start looking into it. Find a list of providers your insurance works with, see if you can find any reviews online, and ask friends or coworkers for referrals. See if you can find local a moms group on Facebook and ask there who people recommend in your area.

When should a STM contact the current ped to let them know that a new baby is on the way? 
    Well, I don't know but I assume anytime is good :) DD will have her yearly visit in September so I'm sure it will come up then. If any other STMs think that's not enough time in advance please speak up lol

How did you find your pediatrician? well our first pediatrician is different than who we have now (we moved). With her original pediatrician I looked at reviews online, and the location worked well for us. The office had several pediatricians, and we set up an interview with one after reading all their bios online probably about a month or so before my due date. The interview was probably unnecessary but it was nice to see the office beforehand. 

Atter we moved I found her current pediatrician based solely on online reviews. I'm happy with him so far, but I've only seen him once.

When choosing a ped, what questions should you ask? I found a list of questions online and I don't even remember what they were. Like I said, the interview, for me, proved to be unnessary. But if you think it will help you decide between pediatricians then go for it. It's important to just realize you can switch pediatricians if you end up not liking them. 

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • When should a FTM start looking and line up a pediatrician? Asap seriously

When should a STM contact the current ped to let them know that a new baby is on the way?  Well, ours has to fill out a form for the birth center so...whenever I ahve to have that back by
    How did you find your pediatrician?  When our first ped was an epic failure, I switched quickly to another practice.  The first ped there was AWESOME...and then she moved to the practice with epic fail ped. (Sad face).

When choosing a ped, what questions should you ask? 
    The practice I started out at now interviews new patients about parenting styles/whether or not they believe in xyz form of discipline, religious beliefs about parenting, how they handle tantrums etc.  If a practice asks these questions, RUN!  YOU should be the one interviewing THEM.
    One of the things for me is lactation support.  Our current peds office has an in-office LC who is literally the main reason we stay.
    I also look for someone who keeps their suggestions to MEDICAL advice rather than PARENTING advice.  For example, I don't mind if a ped says "you should start encouraging him to aleep through the night" but DO mind one that says "you need to start letting him cry it out even if it takes 3 hours and he throws up dont go in the room"

If you have been through this before, share your story!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I didn't even know you needed a pedi appoibtment lined up before you even left the hospital. I did barely any research. I looked on a local neighborhood FB page and saw some suggestions. Googled reviews, liked what I read and made an appointment while in the hospital, lol. It worked out because I LOVE our pedi. But I felt so stupid when i told the hospital i didn't know I needed someone before we left! Oh well. Live and learn. Now i tell all my friends that are having babies to have that taken care of before you have the baby. Lol. 
  • Ok Ladies... Do I really need a ~pediatrician~?

When I grew up, my family practice doctor was the one who delivered me and gave care from that point to 18, when I moved away.  Is there a benefit to a pediatrician opposed to a family practice doctor?

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @melarowan Great question! I think it is really up to you.  I have always stuck with pediatricians and children's hospitals, personally, but we were funneled straight out of the NICU into a pediatrics practice who always told us to go to the children's hospital if we had an emergency.  Also, neither DH nor I had a regular family doctor at the time.  So, I never really dissected seeing a family doc as a possibility.  

If I were you and seriously considering going with a regular family doctor, I would just verify that the doc is up to speed on pediatric medicine and provides vaccinations at the office (as opposed to sending you elsewhere, such as a county health department, for them).  Other than that, as the ladies above had said, you can try out your regular family doctor and look elsewhere if you are uncomfortable for any reason.
  • The biggest one is they do more vaccines so they're more able to recognize normal side effect vs. Problem reaction.  Our family practice dr doesnt see kids younger than 5 and ive heard they refer to a pediatrician for almost anything anyway.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • You can look anytime, but make sure your hospital will release to that pediatrician. For example, my hospital has a pre selected list to choose from. So, I have one pediatrician I like a lot take care of her in hospital and she is released by him, but I switch over to another dr who I like more due to my insurance after I leave the hospital. Make sure to look into that! They don't always allow any dr to come in and do the care. 
    Me: 30 | DH:34
    Married: 08/04/12
    DD: 6 years | Born: 03/28/13
    DS: 1 Year I Born 10/15/17

• ksf13ksf13 member
    When should a FTM start looking and line up a pediatrician? I guess it's never too soon. Being in a military community I always see people asking about the Peds on base and try and remember who everyone recommends

When should a STM contact the current ped to let them know that a new baby is on the way? Good question lol. I'm guessing DD's will find out at her 4 year check up in September, if she isn't sick before then (fingers crossed). Since we will be seen on base we can't choose until baby is born anyway.
    How did you find your pediatrician? It's who we were assigned to, but thankfully we love her. I hope we can get baby assigned to her as well. 

When choosing a ped, what questions should you ask? I plan to just see how things go and ask questions along the way.  Thankfully our doctor with DD was also a nursing mom, so she never tried to push formula even though DD was always (and is still) small weight wise, basically always in the 4th percentile for weight since birth. She has always stayed on her growth curve and usually met milestones ahead of time, so she was happy with that. I know some will try and push formula on you for smaller babies, that would be a big reason for me to change unless there was another cause for concern (not enough wet diapers, falling off her growth curve/not gaining or meeting milestones).  Oh and I feel like I need to add, I have nothing against formula and don't judge people that use it. Breastfeeding is just important to me, so I would want a pediatrician who wants to help me meet my nursing goals instead of trying to discourage me. We haven't seen our current pediatrician during the baby stage, so hopefully all goes well.

I realize most of my answers aren't too helpful since I don't have much say so in our "choosing" process lol. Just figured I'd add what I could. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker