July 2017 Moms

July 2017 baby name ideas

Re: July 2017 baby name ideas

• @CPR79 - we're doing something similar... Norah is often thought of as a Jewish name (because of Nora Ephron), we aren't Jewish, and we have a German last name. My husband did hesitate a bit for the same reason you are but most of the names I like are semi-Jewish... I think because they're very traditional but not always common? I don't think it's insensitive but hat could be bc (1) I'm doing it and (2) I'm not a sensitive person   :D
  • I'm Jewish, and while I might hear some names and be quicker to assume they are as well, I have plenty of non-Jewish friends with more Jewish sounding names and could care less that they are not. (Rachel, Miriam, Rebecca, Ayelet-all friends-all NOT Jewish). 
    I might not name my kid Christian when our family is Jewish, but other than that...go for it.

TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Came here to say I like Ayala a lot, @plumpous - great choice! 

Also, I'm Jewish and fwiw you guys all have my official stamp of approval to use Mara and Nora(h) and any other names you like :) 

I think we're pretty much set on Michael Jacob at this point (after my grandpa and husband's grandpa)

Speaking of, question for my fellow Jews: are you guys doing a separate Hebrew name ? I'm from Europe and it's not as commonly done there (people often will just choose a Jewish name for first name or middle name) so I'm not used to it - and I feel like it's redundant if the given name is a Hebrew name already as is in our case. I get how it makes sense if you choose a more "secular" name for given name but otherwise?..
  • I'm Jewish, and while I might hear some names and be quicker to assume they are as well, I have plenty of non-Jewish friends with more Jewish sounding names and could care less that they are not. (Rachel, Miriam, Rebecca, Ayelet-all friends-all NOT Jewish). 
    I might not name my kid Christian when our family is Jewish, but other than that...go for it.

This actually made me think. DH is Christian, and DS is supposed to be Julian, nn Jude. Is that weird?
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • My DH and I have been stuck on Shiloh James for a while. "S" name after my grandmother Shirley and James after his grandfather. It's super uncommon which we like and my husband likes the civil war connection. Just worried that it may be seen as a dog's name because of the movie...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DH and I have been stuck on Shiloh James for a while. "S" name after my grandmother Shirley and James after his grandfather. It's super uncommon which we like and my husband likes the civil war connection. Just worried that it may be seen as a dog's name because of the movie...
    Shiloh was a favorite book of mine growing up and I still didn't think of the dog when I read the first reference to Shiloh in your post. 
  • @jkbrownstein - I think Shiloh is cute too.  Did not think of the dog.

@Glitterfish - I don't think your name combo is weird.  I like the nn Jude too.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Speaking of, question for my fellow Jews: are you guys doing a separate Hebrew name ? I'm from Europe and it's not as commonly done there (people often will just choose a Jewish name for first name or middle name) so I'm not used to it - and I feel like it's redundant if the given name is a Hebrew name already as is in our case. I get how it makes sense if you choose a more "secular" name for given name but otherwise?..
    I actually never thought of it!
    DD1 has a name that is both Hebrew and English, so no middle name at all, but we're zeroing in on a Goyish name for DD2, which bugs me, so a middle name might be a nice solution.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I haven't thought about it either. DS has a Jewish name. If this LO is a girl, she won't; but a boy will. Hmmm. 
  • So, How would you guys read: 

Shehryar ?
     I really like that name. It is pronounced kind of like "share yaa r"
  • BusyZee said:
    So, How would you guys read: 

Shehryar ?
    No lie, I wouldn't have been able to figure that one out if it wasn't for your explanation.

I first read - "shrare-ya-are" then "sherrie - are" and then I just reading and realized I probably never would have gotten that one.

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • BusyZee said:

Shehryar ?
    At first I read it "Shay-yaar" but then after reading your pronunciation, I get the second R and would agree with "Share-yaar".
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • BusyZee said:

Shehryar ?
    I would have said Shay-ree-ar.
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited April 2017
    @chiquita928 that is actually the closest to how I would say it , thanks for spelling it out properly!
  • BusyZee said:

Shehryar ?
    What does it mean? Is it Hebrew? Like something to do with forest?

I could not figure out the pronunciation. I think the second 'h' threw me off. Is this the standard spelling?
    She'er Ya'ar would be how I'd spell it coming from Hebrew. As a joint name.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @plumpous

it means Friend of the City, (everyone's friend) and also means King 

sherrie aar or shay ree are 

The second H is  pronounced like Shay her Yaar (close to that) 
    imma drop this name it's too hard lol 
  • @BusyZee what's the origin? 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @plumpous Persian! Shehr (shay her) meaning city Yaar means friend!:) 
  • @BusyZee Oh, ok, not familiar with the Persian language. People can get used to it. It's always a pickle when you want a name that you like, but you also want a name that is relatively easy to grasp, right? 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited April 2017
    Yeap, I love the name Haider but not using it as a first name because if it's going to change into Hater or Hider ...not really what I'm aiming for lol. @plumpous

• Milana or Mila is what we're choosing
  • We are thinking McKinley for our little girl. Thoughts? 
  • We are thinking McKinley for our little girl. Thoughts? 
    Well the first thing I think is Mount McKinley, so that's obviously not so great, especially for a girl. I like Kinley though.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • I think of President McKinley, who was assassinated. It's not my style, but I do think Kinley would be better. Or Makenzie or however the spelling is, if you want a "Mac" name.
  • Agreed @virginiaunicorn11 I also think of President McKinley. I don't think that would make me not want to use the name though. The "mc" just isn't to my taste. But I wouldn't flinch if I heard it either.
  • @CPR79 I'm not Jewish so I can't comment on that but personally, I wouldn't think anything of it. Our LO's name is going to be Aanya. Anya is the Russian spelling, Anja is the German spelling and Aanya is the East Indian spelling. I am straight up Caucasian and have quite a bit of German in me but I hate the German spelling. After coming across the double A spelling, that's what we decided on.
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • @alcrimmins Kali as in Kal-lee or Cali... 
  • Hi Guys,

We are zeroing in on calling DD2 Emma. But, I am feeling playful, and someone once suggested Emma Lee, where Lee is a middle name. We really loved the name Emily, but it was vetoed due to a family dog lol, so that was an interesting idea.

My question is how to spell Lee. 
    Emma Lee
    Emma Leigh
    or other?

Thanks!!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• mamadcbmamadcb member
    I am partial to Leigh but Lee works too! Which do you like better? 
  • @mamadcb thanks, I think Leigh is prettier, but DH prefers Lee. My cousin's first name is Lee and she spells it like that, so I think it's a valid spelling. We are not from the US originally, so I have trouble knowing what's more widely acceptable here. I keep thinking Lee is male, and Li is Asian (not that that's bad, we're just Jewish). Although the singer Rickie Lee Jones is a woman and she spells her MN like that too... hmmm...
    Pregnancy Ticker

• BusyZeeBusyZee member
    I think Leigh is pretty! @plumpous
  • glitterfish-2glitterfish-2 member
    edited May 2017
    I go by Amber Li and I am not Asian. It's a shortened version of my middle name.

ETA: I don't know how you feel about using male names for girls, but the mn we are using is Levi, which is "jewish" and I think Emma Levi would be fun!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I go by Amber Li and I am not Asian. It's a shortened version of my middle name.

ETA: I don't know how you feel about using male names for girls, but the mn we are using is Levi, which is "jewish" and I think Emma Levi would be fun!
    Your name is so pretty - Amber was high on our list.

Can't do Levi, I have Cohen running in my blood! It's kind of an either/or thing back home. Plus, it's a surname there, so it will look as though it's her maiden name and not a middle name, and how can a baby have a maiden name lol? But thanks for the suggestion.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• plumpous said:
    I go by Amber Li and I am not Asian. It's a shortened version of my middle name.

Can't do Levi, I have Cohen running in my blood! It's kind of an either/or thing back home. Plus, it's a surname there, so it will look as though it's her maiden name and not a middle name, and how can a baby have a maiden name lol? But thanks for the suggestion.
    It tradition on DH's side of the family to give the first boy your maiden name as a middle name. 
  • plumpous said:

I actually picked Levi because I was doing some research for work and came across an architect named Julian Levi, and I thought it was awesome! I don't have any conflict though ;-)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• mrsla512 said:
    plumpous said:

It tradition on DH's side of the family to give the first boy your maiden name as a middle name. 
    Really? That's pretty cool
    Pregnancy Ticker