April 2017 Moms

Sleeping in flat surface vs incline

Im a second time mom and did not have an issue with my first sleeping in a bassinet (flat service). My second is only 15 days old and I cannot get him to sleep longer than ten minutes in his bassinet. I Remebered I stored the Fisher Price Rock-n-Play I had used with my first occasionally. So my newborn is sleeping great in it. On his second week appointment his pediatrician made it a point that he should really be sleeping in a flat service. I really didn't ask why I just said "ok". So now I've been thinking for the past couple of days if it dangerous for some reason? I will follow up with his pediatrician I just want to get input. I did Google and have read reviews and I don't really see anything on risk of SIDS. 
Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Sleeping in flat surface vs incline

• DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • I had a long discussion with a bunch of friends about this and the decision we came to is that you need to do what is best for you. This is after another friend (who does not even have kids) lectured me on the dangers of a Rock n'Play after I was home from the hospital for less than 36 hours. 

Cary is sleeping in a Rock n'Play for now because he is still majorly stuffed up from delivery. In the hospital, the nurses even put his bassinet on an incline. I don't plan on this being a forever solution because there is concern that the transition to a crib is harder from a Rock n'Play, but I don't agree with the studies that say the Rock n'Play is dangerous. If you read closely, the babies were in them for 16 hours a day!
    Me: 34
    Husband: 34
    Married: June 2014
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm really going to try and use the bassinet for night sleep. My gut tells me to do so. Right now the rock n play is where my son spends the majority of his sleeping time, which is over 10 hours a day. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• My friend's son had really bad reflux and he slept in his rock and play for months. 

I have my daughters bassinet very slightly inclined with a folded blanket underneath. She might not even need that, though. 

10 hours does seem like a lot. If you decide to keep using it for sleep, I'd advise you only to use that as a sleeping solution while you're asleep. If he's napping during the day you should probably be wearing him or holding him to reduce the number of hours in the RNP
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• catem07 said:
    My friend's son had really bad reflux and he slept in his rock and play for months. 

I have my daughters bassinet very slightly inclined with a folded blanket underneath. She might not even need that, though. 

10 hours does seem like a lot. If you decide to keep using it for sleep, I'd advise you only to use that as a sleeping solution while you're asleep. If he's napping during the day you should probably be wearing him or holding him to reduce the number of hours in the RNP
    this.  I only use it for overnight. The rest of the day I'm either holding him on my chest or he's sleeping in his pack n' play.
  • Good idea ladies. I'll be wearing him more 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @catem07 can you show me a picture of what your bassinet looks like with the blanket? 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I rolled a blanket and he is in a deep sleep. Hopefully he will last! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @beemaya83 will do when I get home Saturday night 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Jordan sleeps the majority of his daytime sleep on me or my husband. He occasionally will take a nap in the swing, a couple times a week. He does sleep in the RNP at night, only when we are sleeping and that's not much at all.  He may spend a total of 6 hours in it from 8 pm to 8 am. He wakes a lot and has to be held for long periods of time before he can be laid down.  He absolutely refuses to lay anywhere flat, even during awake time. 
  • @nolegirl1185 Hopefully our littles will grow out of it in a few months. I'll start doing the same and save the rock n play for nighttime sleep as needed. He only lasted 30 minutes on an incline in his bassinet. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @beemaya83 We tried the bassinet multiple times and he would wake immediately, swaddled or not swaddled, then we assumed it was his reflux so we put a blanket underneath and that didn't help.  I also hope he grows out of it soon because I don't want him to stay sleeping in the RNP or a swing, and the crib and mattress were expensive haha!  The only thing we haven't tried is bed sharing, for two reasons, I'm scared to hurt him and I'm worried if we start we will end up with a 10 year old still in our bed lol.
  • @nolegirl1185 I ended up buying a baby delight bassinets that supposed to go in our bed. Who knows if it will work. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LZRRLTA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1493537621&sr=8-1&keywords=Baby+Delight

I was super careful with our first regarding bed sharing when he was an infant. He still ended up in our bed after he turned 1. This momma really needed her sleep. So I'm not too particular about #2. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• We have a rock n play when I need Landon to nap somewhere and I can keep an eye on him (to protect him from his loving sisters). But his time is limited to a few hours. We don't do overnights in it (we have a cosleeper). Instead, we give him lots of time flat on his back and tummy time! Tummy time is soooooooo important!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • beemaya83beemaya83 member
    edited May 2017
    @nolegirl1185 you mentioned that your baby has reflux? What were some of the signs? My son tends to spit up a bit after eating. At night he grunts a lot. I plan on bringing it up to his pediatrician. I'm wondering what your experience has been like? Since my milk is low, we are supplementing with formula. Are you exclusively breastfeeding? I read that formula babies have harder time digesting. If there is a discussion thread you could guide me too that me great if you know if one. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• JillyjerseyJillyjersey member
    edited May 2017
    A helpful solution that we used for our first baby is a sleep sack from sleepingbaby.com it is called a zippidy zip. It helped the transition from sleeping in an incline or swaddled to laying flat in a crib. It helps with that reflex that startles them awake. It is different than a regular sleep sack because it covers their arms fully. I highly recommend them!! We found the company on Shark tank. 
  • @jillyjersey I had never seen these before. I will definitely keep these in mind. My baby hates being swaddled. For the past few days I've swaddled one arm out. Thank u
    Pregnancy Ticker

• You're welcome @beemaya83 ! We just stopped using their flying squirrel pajamas for our 22 month old a few weeks ago. Great company and great products . 
  • +1 for the Zippidy Zip.