June 2017 Moms
Options

Home Birth/Birth Center Check In

So we havent talked about this in awhile and since a lot of the policies/routine practices are different than hospital births I thought lets check in! Questions are for conversation starters but feel free to add your own.
Home birth/birth center/birth center attached to hospital?

Is this your first baby? If not, did you deliver the same way previously? If not, what made you consider another option?

How is your preparation going, what still needs to be done?

Are you following any pain management technique (ex. hypnobabies)?

Who is on your birth team/will be in the room?

Whats your night one plan?

Questions/Comments

Re: Home Birth/Birth Center Check In

• Options
    mombodmombod member
    Ill start.
    Birth center attached to hospital
    Is this your first baby? If not, did you deliver the same way previously? If not, what made you consider another option? 
    2nd baby at the same birth center
    I need to refresh on some pain management techniques but I have gotten the pediatricians consent to be released immediatly following birth and preregistered and dont need to do any classes since we used the birth center before. As far as general prep I need to pack a labor bag and install the car seat.
    last time I took a low intervention birth class that combined a lot of methods like hypnobabies and Bradley. In the end I just needed silence and focus.
    midwife, husband, nurse just for the actual birth, and my mom and MIL if they make it on time
    plan to go home between 3-8 hrs after the birth. My mom will stay that night to help with my 2 year old. I really want him to feel included.
    Questions/Comments 
    none right now
  • Options
    I'm planning a homebirth. Our "birth center" is in the hospital, and more like a hospital.

This is my second. We planned a homebirth last time, but had to make a non emergent transfer about 34 hours in. 

I have a few supplies I need to gather, and wash baby's clothes, etc.

No. For whatever reason, I'm not concerned about the pain. I might ask for counter pressure if this baby gives me bad back labor like last time. 

My midwife, my husband, and a birth assistant.

If baby comes after my due date, my mom will be here, and will take care of DD and keep us feed (she's awesome). If not, my in-laws, or my neighbor (depending on the length of my labor) will watch DD for us.

Questions/Comments
    For third time moms who weren't induced, what was the labor length difference between 1&2?
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @shmarpler My first (a hospital birth) was 12 hours, second was 90 minutes. Second baby is usually quicker, combine that with being at home, things are looking good for you;)

• Options

Home birth/birth center/birth center attached to hospital? Home birth

Is this your first baby? If not, did you deliver the same way previously? If not, what made you consider another option? These are babies 3 & 4 for us. Our second was born at home, in a very lovely mainly hands off birth. First was the typical "hospital special", recovery was tough and left me feeling unfulfilled, lied to and left alone. I realized that I had such blind faith in the medical system that I handed my birth over to them, and it failed me. So my second I owned it, and it was beautiful. 

How is your preparation going, what still needs to be done? It's good, not much to really prepare for birth, I think anyways. We have towels, blankets, sterilized scissors, cord ties, things to help placentas and any bleeding. I need to call the ambulance closest to our home and warn them about the twin birth thing, so they have what they need if we need to transfer.

Are you following any pain management technique (ex. hypnobabies)? No, I will just do what my body tells me to and follow that. 

Who is on your birth team/will be in the room? I have two doulas, my husband, my sister and my best friend who will be in the home with me. 

Whats your night one plan? Breastfeeding 24/7, try to make myself sleep and not just sit and stare at the babies in amazement!

Questions/Comments
  • Options
    mombodmombod member
    @halfthetree +1 for 24/7 breastfeeding. That is the number 1 reason we want to go home immediately this time (last time we chickened out and spent until he was 24 hrs). The night time nurse who was trying to help handed me a nipple shield I did not need. I really needed someone to just confirm for peace of mind that he was latched perfectly. The nipple shield led to my milk being delayed coming in, which led to him loosing a lot of weight, to feeling guilted into one supplemented bottle, which led to latch issues we didnt have before and non stop pumping, bottle feeding the pumped milk, and nursing for the first two weeks. This was so completely unnecessary stress and we would have been better off left alone. He went on to breastfeed for 20 months, 3 months into this pregnancy. But I know better and trust myself and my body more now.
  • Options
    @shmarpler My first (a hospital birth) was 12 hours, second was 90 minutes. Second baby is usually quicker, combine that with being at home, things are looking good for you;)

My first was about 42 hours, 32ish were spent at home. My midwife said it's not uncommon to have your labor time cut in half, but even then I'm still looking at 20+ hours. 

Last time I prayed that I wouldn't have a huge baby. She was delightfully average. This time I'm praying for a short labor (hopefully a little longer than 90 min  ;)) and safe delivery. 
    Married 8/29/09
  • Options
    mombodmombod member
    Yikes if cut in half. First was only 6 hours. My midwife did say come up witb plan A, B, and C for my son bc family is 2 hrs away. Shes like no guarentees but its usually faster the second time. Eek!
  • Options
    Yeah, if I go early, my plan was my in laws, but they are a 13 hour drive away, so my midwife wanted a back up plan. My neighbor and her daughter are now my back up. 
    Married 8/29/09
  • Options

Birth center. 

First, but I'll answer this question anyway. I want a low intervention birth guided by me/what my body is doing, and I believe I have significantly higher odds of getting that if I have my baby outside the hospital. I'm glad we have hospitals because they help when people are sick or have medical problems. But in my opinion, that's what hospitals are for - sick people and people with medical problems, and I don't believe a low risk pregnancy is either of those things. 

Not much. I need to get various supplies like pads and some food stuff and whatever I want to wear (I want short, loose nightgowns with a button front) but that can all wait a couple weeks still. 

Nothing specific. I have been reading about ways to relax and manage pain - Ina May, Birth Without Fear, etc. 

H and two midwives and potentially an apprentice midwife. 

We plan to leave within a few hours/as soon as I feel up to it. Then we'll be at home with just out new little family!!

Questions/Comments
  • Options
    Can I be in on this? He's going to be born in the hospital because I had a major postpartum bleed last time, but I'm delivering with midwives who deliver 95% at home. They say their hospital births and home births are almost exactly the same, but they want Drs close by just in case with my history. I would have still done it at home, but our hospital is 30 min away. I want to do a homebirth so bad! 
  • Options
    mombodmombod member
    @Kylieslip24 of course youre welcome!
  • Options
    Thanks! We did a birth center natural birth last time, but this time is even more natural, but at the hospital. I feel like I don't belong anywhere!! Lol 
  • Options
    mombodmombod member
    edited May 2017
    @halfthetree will a midwife be attending the birth? Im assuming thats who is monitoring your pregnancy?
    My midwife practice will monitor twin pregnancies but brings in a doctor for consultation and for the birth. They wont allow the birth in the birth center but will follow all wishes practical in the hospital. There is so much variation in policy even amongst midwives. Although mine are certified nurse midwives so maybe thays the difference(?)
  • Options

Hospital
    2nd. She was in a birth center attatched to a hospital and it was really nice. We're way too far away this time so we only have hospital/home birth options. I found the only midwife in the area who had hospital privileges, so we really lucked out.  
    Just need to wash a few more things, get the car seat installed and checked by a tech, and finish packing the hospital bags. 
    No. Last time I just let it happen and this time I will do the same thing. I do labor at home as long as possible though so it takes others pain relief off the table. Last time I went in when my water broke and I walked in at a 9.5. This time I'll go in a little earlier so we can get dd settled. 
    Dh, for sure at least one midwife. Her partner and the apprentice midwife will be there too unless someone else is in labor the same day. 
    Whats your night one plan
    night one will probably just be me and baby. Our plan is that dh and dd will stay with me the whole time except for at night to sleep. Even then my midwife said dd could probably stay the night if we wanted her too. But partner sleeping is basically a bench and cushion so dh and dd will probably be more comfy at home anyway. I have their bags packed as if they were staying though and dh is going to bring her to me still in her Pajamas as soon as she wakes up. We all never sleep apart so I'm kind of sad about this part. 

Are any of you guys going to have your kids in the room for the birth? 
    Were considering letting dd(4) because she really wants to be. If we were doing it at home she would have been and my midwives say it's super calm even at the hospital and she would be fine. I guess it will be a see how it goes kind of thing. 
  • Options

Hospital
    2nd. She was in a birth center attatched to a hospital and it was really nice. We're way too far away this time so we only have hospital/home birth options. I found the only midwife in the area who had hospital privileges, so we really lucked out.  
    Just need to wash a few more things, get the car seat installed and checked by a tech, and finish packing the hospital bags. 
    No. Last time I just let it happen and this time I will do the same thing. I do labor at home as long as possible though so it takes others pain relief off the table. Last time I went in when my water broke and I walked in at a 9.5. This time I'll go in a little earlier so we can get dd settled. 
    Dh, for sure at least one midwife. Her partner and the apprentice midwife will be there too unless someone else is in labor the same day. 
    Whats your night one plan
    night one will probably just be me and baby. Our plan is that dh and dd will stay with me the whole time except for at night to sleep. Even then my midwife said dd could probably stay the night if we wanted her too. But partner sleeping is basically a bench and cushion so dh and dd will probably be more comfy at home anyway. I have their bags packed as if they were staying though and dh is going to bring her to me still in her Pajamas as soon as she wakes up. We all never sleep apart so I'm kind of sad about this part. 

Are any of you guys going to have your kids in the room for the birth? 
    Were considering letting dd(4) because she really wants to be. If we were doing it at home she would have been and my midwives say it's super calm even at the hospital and she would be fine. I guess it will be a see how it goes kind of thing. 
    I've thought about it, and I've decided that it will depend on how my labor goes. DD1 will be almost two, so if I have a long labor, and she is constantly asking "up, up!" I'll probably need her somewhere else. I'm really hoping that this baby is born at night, so DD1 can just go to bed like normal.
    Married 8/29/09
  • Options
    mombodmombod member
    DS is 2 and will not be in the room. My midwife suggested not to have him bc he is very attached to me and probably wouldnt take it well. I personally know I would be too concerned with how he was doing and stop focusing on what I needed to do. If he was older I would definitely consider it especially if he showed interest.
  • Options
    That's why I'm torn. I don't really want her there, but she wants to be. My mil will be in the waiting room so I think I might just send her out towards the end. 4 is kind of a hard age because it seems so young to me, but she feels so big to herself. 
  • Options
    @Kylieslip24 We are having our children there. Our son was 3.5 at the time of our seconds birth, and he did great! We watched lots of birth videos together, talked about the noises and that it's a different type of bleeding that happens, not an owie bleeding. He was incredible. He was holding my hand and wiping my face with a cloth while I laboured, he sat beside his dad and rubbed my arm as the fetal ejection reflex birthed her. 

This time, he is 7 and is SO excited to be there. Our 3.5 year old is thrilled too and is obsessed with birth videos. 

• Options
    @mombod I'm under the care of an OB, the Midwives's in my region are experienced in twin birth and comfortable with specific types (mine is the lowest risk possible), but their insurance says no, so there is no choice here. 

I do have an experienced birth attendant who will be here, 3 of us trained in neonatal resuscitation and a hospital a 3 min drive away. It's sad when there are no options for mothers, our OB wouldn't even be the one there, we would just get whoever is there that day. They have switched to a strictly "whoever is there delivers the baby" system, so literally no continuity of care. 
  • Options
    @Kylieslip24 We are having our children there. Our son was 3.5 at the time of our seconds birth, and he did great! We watched lots of birth videos together, talked about the noises and that it's a different type of bleeding that happens, not an owie bleeding. He was incredible. He was holding my hand and wiping my face with a cloth while I laboured, he sat beside his dad and rubbed my arm as the fetal ejection reflex birthed her. 

This time, he is 7 and is SO excited to be there. Our 3.5 year old is thrilled too and is obsessed with birth videos. 

He sounds like my dd. I really think she will go into some kind of caregiver field someday because she loves taking care of us. She has made this pregnancy easier by bringing me snacks when I was sick in the beginning, she rubs my back if I complain, she rubs my belly with lotions and oil every night. It's so cute. I never ask she just wants to. I think she would do great, I just worry she will be scared because something's have made her cry, like whenever I need a blood draw. She picks up on my anxiety I think. 
  • Options
    @Kylieslip24 I totally get that! My daughter is an empathy as well and if I'm crying, she's crying with me. You could try normalizing the sights and sounds of birth with her, give her a heads up that mommy might throw up, and that's a good thing, it means baby will be coming very soon... etc etc. 

If you google "Code Name: Mama birth videos" there should be a link to a bunch of categorized birth slideshows and videos designed to help introduce birth to our kids who will be present! 
  • Options
    Thanks! I'm going to look it up! 
  • Options
    Birth Center

4th baby, 3rd time delivering at this birth center.

I will need to pack when we get a bit further along but I am not in a hurry since I have gone past my EDD I am not in a hurry. Lol

Just doing what I have done in the past! Hubby helps with any pain management I need. 

Hubby and my mom are my team. The midwife will assist.

We will be going home within 12 hours most likely. I like to be in my own bed!

Questions/Comments
    I am looking forward to seeing the big sisters' reactions to their new sibling.  :)

• Options
    I just realized that my home visit is next week and I need to get my supplies ready!

At least I've finally washed baby clothes and packed DD's overnight bag.

What kind of preparations do you ladies have left?
    Married 8/29/09
  • Options
    mombodmombod member
    I have my sons back up bag packed, the baby bag packed, and I have thrown flip flops, a sports bra that can get wet, snacks, and a robe in a bag for me. Im not planning on bringing much for me since we are planning on leaving the birth center right in a few hours but I still need a few more things. If my GBS comes back positive Ill add more things bc we will have to stay for 24 hours.
    I want to get my house deep cleaned and Im working on a schedule with friends as back ups for DS if we need to leave before family gets here.
  • Options
    I have done nothing. Lol and yikes!! I am sure a lot of that is due to goingpast the EDD every time so far.    
  • Options

Freestanding birth center

2nd baby...totally different delivery-non medical induction after 39 weeks. Wanted a spontaneous birth before but was uninformed. 

preparation is going well as of 2 days ago. My bag is almost fully packed. Baby's bag not so much. I've started meditating and reviewing birth affirmations. Reviewing notes and comfort measures. 

Are you following any pain management technique?

Just meditating and other pain management tips from our comfort measures class. 

Midwife, doula, nurse, husband

have to stay 12 hours because I'm GBS+ but will go home and nurse and sleep when I can.