Trouble TTC
Options

New girl on the block!

brittlefebvrebrittlefebvre member
edited April 2017 in Trouble TTC
Hello everyone! My name is Brittany. Hubby and I have been TTC for a year now and earlier today I actually went and saw an OB who then referred me to an RE. I'll have a phone consult with a nurse practitioner on May 4th... but am nervous. (No infertility issues technically diagnosed yet, so I hope it's okay to post in this thread section!)

Talking to the OB, she said everything sounded fine on my end. I have regular cycles that average 26 days. I expressed concern with her that the two months I tried OPKs I never got a positive result to indicate I was ovulating. I was using about 3 month old expired test strips so I don't know if that was an issue or I'm truly not ovulating. She didn't seem concerned. (I stopped testing because having no results started to stress me even more.) I also had childhood cancer so I'm very worried the radiation to my abdomen may be a factor. Hubby works at a chemical plant and the chemical he works around has been known to cause issues with male fertility. The OB's face dropped when I mentioned this.

Seems we have some factors against us but trying to take it one step at a time and not stress until we have answers. Now I'm trying to compile medical history so I can be prepared for the phone consult. *deep breath*

Re: New girl on the block!

• Options
    Welcome. I hope that your stay here is short and sweet and you find that all is ok. Keep us posted on what you RE says, hopefully it will be good news. 
    Me: 27, DH: 28
    Married June 2014
    TTC #1 since March 2016
    Dx: PCOS
    On Meftormin since Feb 2017
  • Options
    Thank you! I hope so, but nervous of course because it's hard to know without having tests done. And I'm limited in who I can talk to because my mom seems to be not as supportive as she first appeared. Sigh!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Welcome. I hope you are able to find answers. I know that it is hard for me to talk to my mom or my MIL. Neither one have struggled with their fertility so I think it's hard for them to understand. My mom just keeps telling me that my time will come. WTF? I ask her all the time if she realizes how many women are desperate to have babies who never will. Was it just never their time?! 

Anyways, I'm sure your RE will order up some testing to give too an idea of what is going on and hopefully you can get a plan moving forward. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Welcome! I hope you get some answers soon! 
  • Options
    Welcome.  I hope you get some answers.  The first appointment is always nerve racking.  
    Me:33, DH:38 Married: 8/2/2014
    TTC #1 Since: April 2015
    Unexplained Infertility

Cycle 1&2 : Clomid 50mg- BFN
    Cycle 3: Letrozole 2.5mg- BFN
    Cycle 4: Letrozole 5mg- BFN
    Cycle 5: HSG-normal
                  Clomid 100mg+ Estrace- BFN
    Cycle 6: Letrozole 5mg+Trigger shot+IUI+Progestrone- BFN
    Cycle 7: Letrozole 5mg, Cyst found during follicle check
    Cycle 8: Birth control to treat left ovary cyst
    Cycle 9: Letrozole 7.5mg+Trigger shot+IUI+Progesterone- BFN
    Cycle 10: Letrozole 7.5mg, 2 Cysts found during follicle check
    Cycle 11: Clomid 100mg+Estradiol+Trigger shot+IUI+Progesterone- BFN
    Cycle 12: Clomid 100mg- BFN
    Cycle 13-16: Natural attempts while awaiting IVF 
    Cycle 14: IVF-BFN

• Options
    Welcome! FX the RE will be able to get you KU shortly!
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • Options
    Welcome. I hope you are able to find answers. I know that it is hard for me to talk to my mom or my MIL. Neither one have struggled with their fertility so I think it's hard for them to understand. My mom just keeps telling me that my time will come. WTF? I ask her all the time if she realizes how many women are desperate to have babies who never will. Was it just never their time?! 

Anyways, I'm sure your RE will order up some testing to give too an idea of what is going on and hopefully you can get a plan moving forward. 
    After 3  months my mom said that "something must been wrong with one of you if it hasn't happened yet". Thanks mom. She had trouble getting pregnant - if I remember correctly she had a tilted cervix and mild endo. I spoke to her yesterday to get family history to be prepared for the phone consult and when I told her she seemed far from supportive, even her saying she's "not judging". 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for the welcoming! I'm glad I have a place to go and people to talk to, even with being new to the community.
  • Options
    Welcome! I can totally relate to not having anyone to talk to. I haven't told my mom we are TTC. Like you I wanted a family history before talking to my GYN. My mom's first comment to me when I told her I was going off the pill so I could be tested was "you don't need to get pregnant right now so just make sure you're careful!" I held my tongue but I haven't discussed anything with her since except to tell her I do in fact have PCOS.

I hope you get answers soon and that you are not here with us very long! You will find this is an awesome place to though!

Me: 34 - SO: 40
    TTC #1 since 8/2016
    FINALLY diagnosed with anovulatory PCOS 11/2016 (Insulin resistance and multiple cysts on both ovaries)
    Miscarriage on 7/19/17 at 7 weeks 
    Miscarriage on 10/16/17 at 5 weeks

• Options
    eranvo27 said:
    Welcome! I can totally relate to not having anyone to talk to. I haven't told my mom we are TTC. Like you I wanted a family history before talking to my GYN. My mom's first comment to me when I told her I was going off the pill so I could be tested was "you don't need to get pregnant right now so just make sure you're careful!" I held my tongue but I haven't discussed anything with her since except to tell her I do in fact have PCOS.

I hope you get answers soon and that you are not here with us very long! You will find this is an awesome place to though!
    That's so frustrating! My mom asked why I was doing this and asked if we were going to have kids without being married... Why? Because we want kids? *scratches head* And marriage will happen eventually, it's a given, but I'm not going to pressure him into making it happen any faster. Sometimes I don't think mom's realize what they say and how they say it.

Thank You! I hope I get answers soon as well. A good friend of ours had TTC and she found out she wasn't ovulating. She went through doing Clomid and IUI which led successfully to twins, and she's went through the same medical facility that I will be going through. I'm optimistic. 
  • Options
    eranvo27eranvo27 member
    edited April 2017
    I am in the exact same situation. We will get married eventually but we aren't in a rush. We have built a life together and have decided we are ready for the next step, mostly because we know our window is closing. By the time we do it the "right" way it may be too late for us. It is strictly our personal decision that if it doesn't happen by a certain time we will reevaluate our options.

My cousin and his wife tried for 7 years before IVF and they finally have one son who just turned 8. 

TTC #1 since 8/2016
    FINALLY diagnosed with anovulatory PCOS 11/2016 (Insulin resistance and multiple cysts on both ovaries)

• Options
    Ah yes. And see you're both adults and you're both ready for the next step and it's not anyone else's concern otherwise! Hubby is 33 and I'm 23 (I'll be 24 next month), and I know he definitely feels down about not having kids yet. His sister has kids, 10, 8 and 1 1/2. My brother has 5 girls! Lol, we feel like it's time and I know realistically we may not even get pregnant this year so I'd rather start the process sooner than later. Fingers crossed for you!

Oh wow. It definitely fascinates me with all these technological advances. 
  • Options
    @brittlefebvre Welcome - I'm new here too. I hope you are able to figure out what's happening and get some answers. I'm in the same stage - will be meeting with my OB next week. If you wanted to start on OPKs I got mine off amazon really cheap. I think they were called blue cross or something (similar to wondfo) and they worked really well. It also came with the pregnancy tests too so I don't feel terrible peeing on a stick every day hehe
  • Options
    @msstephanielynn Welcome as well! I tried doing OPKs for two months (I started the last day of my period and continued for two weeks after) and never got a positive. I did get a progressively darker line as it was closer to my expected O and then the test line would be practically none existent, but I never got a true positive. Still not sure if that's because the tests were a few months expired or if I'm actually not ovulating. About mid way through my cycle I would sometimes get a pain in my right side, which is common for ovulation but aside from that I didn't ever notice anything different... not even EWCM.
    I hope you get some answers soon as well! I know some OBs can help with some infertility things including prescribing Clomid, but mine just straight referred me.
  • Options
    I know that everyone is different so this might not be helpful insight at all... I don't ovulate at all and haven't since I went of BCPs back in August. I have tested multiple times during the month with OPKs on the off chance I was ovulating. The line has always been almost not existent. Not once has it gotten darker and boy have I hoped for that just about as hard as I have for a BFP!  I hope you find out soon what is going on!

TTC #1 since 8/2016

• Options
    @eranvo27 That's so frustrating, I'm sorry! I was hoping to at least see the line to know I was ovulating, but nothing. Again, it might be that the tests were expired but I took it like a grain of salt and didn't want to get too hopeful. Thank you I hope so as well. I just want answers so we can move forward. My mom had slight endo and a tilted cervix and she had TTC, so I'm a little wary.
  • Options
    @brittlefebvre If you decide to try the OPKs again, I got a massive box of them and HPTs from Amazon for $20. I don't feel so bad about randomly taking a HPT on a whim as I did before where the box of 2 cost $14.99! These are the ones I got. I am hoping I will start ovulating with the next bump in the Metformin and progesterone challenge.

TTC #1 since 8/2016

• Options
    @eranvo27 Oh awesome! I'll definitely keep that in mind. My phone consult is on Thursday so I'm anxious to go from there. It's curious since I should have AF then, and my 'fertile days' are around my birthday.  :D
  • Options
    SP128SP128 member
    @brittlefebvre I use the same ones as @eranvo27  works great!
    ***TW***
    Me: 36  DH:35
    Married: 7/10/2016
    TTC#1 - May 2016
    BFP 9/6/2016 - Missed MC 10/20/2016  
    BFP 5/5/2017  - CP
    IVF #1 - June 2017  - Transferred 1 fresh 4 AA embryo.  7/9 Beta #1 - 161 
    <3 Adam <3 Born on 3/18/18