June 2016 Moms
Options

Enfagrow?

Anyone switching from enfamil to enfagrow at 9 months?  I got samples in the mail and I'll ask my Peds opinion but just wondering what the consensus is with you all.  

Re: Enfagrow?

• Options
    My husband wants to switch to Enfamil A+/A+ 2, which is for 6-18 months. I think Enfagrow is for 12-36 months, the age range might be different in the US though. We may look at it after Damien turns 1.
  • Options
    Not switching to toddler formula until 12 months. And even then, I'll have a hard time with that because 1year is HARDLY a toddler.... grrrr.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never used toddler formula with my boys they didn't stop using bottles till closer to 18 months but by that point they were drinking regular milk. I'll probably switch Charlotte to almond milk or something once she's 13 months or so. I'm not looking forward to ditching the bottle my boys were so difficult about it. I'd offer my oldest a cup of milk or a bottle of watered down milk and no matter what he always wanted the bottle. 
  • Options
    I never used toddler formula with my girls even though they were tiny preemies. The dr told me formula until a yr then milk and lots of good food. I don't think we will do toddler formula with cam unless the dr reccomends because of his weight.
  • Options
    Enfagrow is for 9-18 months. Our son's doctor told us it was unnecessary and that infant formula is recommended up to age 1 year old, then just proper nutrition and milk.
  • Options
    Savannah is breastfed so a little different, but I plan on switching to whole milk shortly after her first birthday in addition to good nutrition from lots of fruits and veggies 
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Savannah is breastfed so a little different, but I plan on switching to whole milk shortly after her first birthday in addition to good nutrition from lots of fruits and veggies 
    This is my plan too, the Health Visitors and GPs here say that follow on milk etc is a bit of a con and not necessary so I'm going with that
  • Options
    Another way to get people to keep buying formula. I did supplement pediasure with one of my boys around 2 when he wasn't eating enough. I only did it for a bit and then again when he'd get sick and not want to eat.
  • Options
    That said, I plan to switch to whole milk, but ladies, it is EASIER SAID THAN DONE. Most babies at my son's daycare refuse it and are on toddler formula.
  • Options
    That said, I plan to switch to whole milk, but ladies, it is EASIER SAID THAN DONE. Most babies at my son's daycare refuse it and are on toddler formula.
    With my daughters my dr said at like 11 months start doing bottles 1/4 skim for a week then start upping the amount by 1/4 a week until you are off formula. Thankfully this worked well with my daughters.
  • Options
    Tawny87 said:
    With my daughters my dr said at like 11 months start doing bottles 1/4 skim for a week then start upping the amount by 1/4 a week until you are off formula. Thankfully this worked well with my daughters.
    I meant whole, I have no idea why I said skim lol!
  • Options
    Savannah better like cows milk because there's no way I'm gonna start paying for formula at a year!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Yes, our pediatrician said the same, but we have to hold off until 12 months because of a milk intolerance. So we are going to HAVE to go to toddler formula just to transition him to regular milk.

The sippy cup battle continues, though...he wont drink it unless I"m holding it for him. Urgh!!
  • Options
    laurendiaz02laurendiaz02 member
    edited March 2017
    I ordered a sample can of Kabrita goat's milk. We are going to try this at a year old instead of cows milk - assuming Ethan likes the taste  :#

• Options
    My boys loved the taste of milk but when we took bottles away from my oldest he refused to drink milk out of a cup. He just didn't drink milk and ate cheese, yogurt, and a whole lot of broccoli (it's high in calcium). My boys love them some steamed broccoli and I hate broccoli so much! 
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I mentioned in another thread a bit ago that my husband wanted to switch from Enfamil Thickened (Enfamil AR) to Enfamil A+ 2. I realized recently that that's our version of Enfagrow. Anyway, so I reluctantly gave in and we started a gradual transition over a month ago. By the time he started daycare, he was fully on it. During the next month he got sick but I also noticed that he was screaming and arching his back as if he was in pain. He then stopped wanting to drink altogether. I figured it was due to the illness but couldn't shake the feeling that he was also having trouble with the new formula. Last Thursday I told my husband that maybe we should try switching back to the old formula to see if that helped any and here we are several days later with a happy baby. By Saturday he was back to his old self (minus the cough and congestion). He drank his milk without issue and actually started eating his solids again, just as much (if not moreso) than before. Anyway, all that to say that we tried Enfamil A+ 2 (aka Enfagrow) and it was absolutely awful.
  • Options
    I mentioned in another thread a bit ago that my husband wanted to switch from Enfamil Thickened (Enfamil AR) to Enfamil A+ 2. I realized recently that that's our version of Enfagrow. Anyway, so I reluctantly gave in and we started a gradual transition over a month ago. By the time he started daycare, he was fully on it. During the next month he got sick but I also noticed that he was screaming and arching his back as if he was in pain. He then stopped wanting to drink altogether. I figured it was due to the illness but couldn't shake the feeling that he was also having trouble with the new formula. Last Thursday I told my husband that maybe we should try switching back to the old formula to see if that helped any and here we are several days later with a happy baby. By Saturday he was back to his old self (minus the cough and congestion). He drank his milk without issue and actually started eating his solids again, just as much (if not moreso) than before. Anyway, all that to say that we tried Enfamil A+ 2 (aka Enfagrow) and it was absolutely awful.
    I'm so happy to hear he's back to his old self and you figured it all out!
  • Options
    Erk, is Enfagrow that bad?
    Anyway, Enfagrow is typically for babies 12months and UP. Your LO is too young for it, unless the can stated "Toddler Transitions," which can go from 9 months to 18 months.
    We haven't given our LO Enfagrow yet, but we have a can of the toddler transitions one because he can't take the Enfagrow regular yet.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Erk, is Enfagrow that bad?
    Anyway, Enfagrow is typically for babies 12months and UP. Your LO is too young for it, unless the can stated "Toddler Transitions," which can go from 9 months to 18 months.
    We haven't given our LO Enfagrow yet, but we have a can of the toddler transitions one because he can't take the Enfagrow regular yet.
    Our Enfamil A+ 2 is for 6-18 months, it's slightly different than the Enfagrow in the US. I have no idea how it is different but I noticed the age difference listed on the canister while visiting Virginia. Enfamil A+ 2 is specifically listed as an infant formula to be given as a "next step" formula when babies start trying out solids. We do have Enfagrow A+ listed as a toddler drink for 12-36 months though, that's not the one we gave him though since he was too young. I just felt that Enfamil A+ 2 is more akin to US Enfagrow since you all don't seem to have Enfamil A+ 2.  Maybe Enfamil A+2 is similar to the toddler transition one you mention. 

I mentioned the age differences earlier in the thread:
    My husband wants to switch to Enfamil A+/A+ 2, which is for 6-18 months. I think Enfagrow is for 12-36 months, the age range might be different in the US though. We may look at it after Damien turns 1.
    Edit: By the way, sorry for the confusion. I've always just looked at the "Infant" section on our Enfamil site and since I didn't see Enfagrow there, I figured we didn't have it and Enfamil A+2 was our version of it until I checked the Toddler section today and saw it there.

Edit #2: (Last one I swear) I think it boils down to Damien maybe not being ready for whatever was in Enfamil A+2, his body was having a hard time adjusting. Maybe when he's older, it won't have such a negative effect.
  • Options
    Ah, I didn't realize the differences between Enfamils in the US and Canada. We don't have Enfamil A+ and most of the transition formulas are for 9+ months. 6 seems a bit early. :(. Regardless, he probably isn't ready, although our doctor said that it shouldn't affect our LO in any way. If we want to use it, great, but don't waste money, as he can get the vitamins from his purees. It gets confusing because we have Toddler transition and then Toddler formula. Similac does not.
    We are also transitioning LO out of soy to milk based formula. He has been nasty fussy lately, but this started before we started adding the milk formula and now he's been excellent but he's still on milk. 
  • Options
    Ah, I didn't realize the differences between Enfamils in the US and Canada. We don't have Enfamil A+ and most of the transition formulas are for 9+ months. 6 seems a bit early. :(. Regardless, he probably isn't ready, although our doctor said that it shouldn't affect our LO in any way. If we want to use it, great, but don't waste money, as he can get the vitamins from his purees. It gets confusing because we have Toddler transition and then Toddler formula. Similac does not.
    We are also transitioning LO out of soy to milk based formula. He has been nasty fussy lately, but this started before we started adding the milk formula and now he's been excellent but he's still on milk. 
    It took me awhile to realize there were differences. There are plenty of times I wished we had some of the things you all did, it would make following through with recommendations much easier! 

His little body definitely wasn't ready, that's for sure. There might have been more too it as well, but all I know is we needed to make the switch back to the old formula. It did make me wonder if those of us on specialty formulas would have a tougher time transitioning to cow's milk or other formulas. I'm glad your LO is okay with the new formula! I think once he turns 1, we'll try just giving him cow's milk. Like you said, he should be getting the nutrition he needs from his solids/purees.