Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Anyone else waiting for their cycle?

I am waiting for my menstrual cycle to return to normal. Had a D&C a week ago (4/17), and know that it will take at least a few more weeks before any sign of a period.

As posted in another thread, this is both my first pregnancy and my first loss.  Feels a little lonely, and I am anxious to return to some kind of normality.

Is anyone else waiting? How long have you been waiting? Are you tracking any hormones (hCG, LH)?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Anyone else waiting for their cycle?

• I'm still waiting. I had my d & c on 4/7.  They told me about 4 weeks before it should return and if not here in 6 weeks to call them. 
  • I had mine on the 4/14. They aren't monitoring my levels. My regular cycles started around the 8th of each month. He said the same thing that Mack2342 said about calling if it doesn't return in 6 weeks. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @Mack2342 @fiddleRN79 So sorry for your losses. But thank you for chiming in; it helps me not feel so alone. This board is much more quiet, understandably. Positive vibes for physical and emotional healing. Hoping we will get there together. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It is pretty quiet here. I don't feel ready to join another board yet because I don't know if we will TTC again, but I lurk on the TTC and the TTCAL boards. Those ladies all seem very kind and welcoming if you haven't been over there yet :)    
  • silvergreensilvergreen member
    edited April 2017
    Had a gush of blood yesterday, which took me by surprise. It was exactly a week since the procedure, and I have only had incredibly minimal spotting up until that point. I was worried I was overdoing some of the housework (lifting a few bags of clothes for donations, large loads of laundry). I got nervous and left a voicemail for my OBGYN, but she never responded. I take it this is probably normal?

ETA: @fiddleRN79 I hovered into those boards a couple of times; it takes me to a place where I can feel hope and optimism about trying again. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @silvergreen.  With my first MMC, I took a week off from teaching aerobics.  The first class back about an hour afterwards, I had bright red bleeding.  It didn't last long just that trip to the bathroom and slight spot for the next trip.  Then it stopped.  When I called my OB, I was told that was my body's way of saying slow down and it wasn't ready to return to aerobics. I took another week off from that after that and no more incidents.  This time I took week and half off from it and no bleeding afterwards.  I also didn't bleed that much with this loss as I did the first so not sure if that has something to do with it either. Anyway my point is that it probably is your body saying take it easy.  If it happens again, I would call OB again.  
  • @Mack2342 Thanks! I have definitely been experiencing more tenderness over the weekend. Sorry if it's TMI, but even a bit of gas building up makes the whole area feel sore - having a BM can be uncomfortable for the same reasons.

OB has kind of disappointed me by not returning my call. She probably doesn't consider it an emergency, and therefore not important. I know she's super busy as she is the only one in her practice (aside from the nurse), but it does concern me that she won't be around if there was something more complicated happening. I even called the office at 4.20pm when it happened (they close at 4.30pm), and the phones were already switched to voicemail. :/
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @silvergreen.  That is disappointing even if doctor doesn't call back at least the nurse could call. I had my follow up yesterday and everything looked good but the tenderness is expected.  I still have some too.  I think I would call back this morning and see if you can speak with someone just so you know that they are available to you.  
  • @Mack2342 Great news about the follow up! Fingers crossed your cycle will follow soon. Is there a surefire way to know whether it's a period and not random spotting/bleeding? I have no idea what to anticipate. I don't even know what the state of my hormones are. Do they usually track this? Or only if you don't get your period around that 6 week mark?

I have an appointment with them this coming Monday, so certainly will raise my concerns, especially about being accessible - as long as I don't experience any further bleeding episodes.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I didn't have any tracking done.  With both d & c's I was told period would arrive 4 to 6 weeks after procedure and to call if no period in 6 weeks.   So at this point I would say it's probably random bleeding.  
  • Whoops - I meant to say in the case that you spot or bleed up until that 4-6 week mark.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm waiting on mine still too. This was my first pregnancy, and first loss. I had a diagnosed and treated Ectopic just 3 weeks ago today (I was 6 weeks). I only bleed for about 4-5 days so I'm just sitting around waiting for my official period to start. I actually think I'm ovulating at the moment, I haven't done a test but it feels like it. Based on that I'm guessing I'll start in about 2 weeks. I'm ready to get this show on the road since we were told to wait at least 3 month / 2 cycles.
    edited April 2017
    @toesinthesand-2 That makes two of us for first pregnancy/first loss. I'm so sorry that you're here with me. Like you, I'm already looking toward the future at TTC (not sure when DH will feel ready, though). After finding out the news, I wasn't sure I'd feel ready for quite some time; however, much to my surprise, just a week later I'm already starting to feel a growing urgency in wanting to try again. I can say this loss has made me realize how much I really want this.

So weird wanting to have a period this badly, lol. Having ovulation envy over here. ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I know it's still very early, but took a HPT this morning (11 days post-D&C). Still testing positive. Line wasn't as dark as it could have been, but still very clear. I would say medium-dark pink. Will test again in a week.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Me too. Had my MUA on 3/20. I think I finally had my period Mon-Wed this week. It wasn't period like flow... had another hcg test this morning and hope I'd get the thumbs up to start BCP in preparation for next frozen cycle. 

It will be 6 weeks for the day of the procedure this coming Monday. So really hope my wait is over. 

TTC history in spoiler box:
    Me: 42, single
    Hysteroscopy: 2013
    IUI #1-2: 2013 BFN
    Surgery 10/2015: Planned to start trying again but had a surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    Surgery 5/2016: Planned to start trying again but had another surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    IUI  #3-5 (with Clomid): summer 2016 BFN
    IVF #1: 11/2016. 30R; 21M; 20F; 8B (6 day5 & 2 day6); 4 normal after PGS
    Medicated FET #1: 1/31/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFP. Embryo stopped growing at 6w 1d. MUA at 9w 3d.
    Medicated FET #2June 2017 - cancelled...
    Hysteroscopy #2: June 2017
    Medicated FET #2: 8/7/2017 transferred 1 embryo 5BB. BFP. Ended in CP.
    Medicated FET #3: 10/11/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFN
    ERA: December 2017 - need an extra 12 hours of PIO
    Medicated FET #4: 1/24/2018 transferred 1 embryo 4AA. BFN
    Out of embryos.  :'(
    IVF #2: 03/2018.

• anyone on here that ended up not having a d&c? I'm currently still bleeding naturally (7w3d when I first started to bleed, been a full week now). OB thinks it will probably continue naturally and I may not need a d&c. This is all so new to me, first pregnancy/first loss. Just wondering if the timeline is the same for natural compared to procedures. I'm sure OB told me details but I was numb and staring into space when he was covering everything and didn't register what he was telling me.
  • jchpgjchpg member
    @40momma I'm sorry you're here. I just had my first pregnancy and first loss. I used cytotec rather than a d&c. My pregnancy stopped around 5-6 weeks and we didn't find out until 7 weeks. I decided to wait another week to see if things would start naturally, and it did not. Cytotec was a good option for me. My period has started again, 27 days after taking the medication. 
  • thank you @jchpg, I truly wish this none of us were on here but I am so very grateful to have this board right now. I've been able to find answers to so many of my questions I've had over the past few weeks. 
  • @Prudence9 Was your HPT still positive following your period? Will you be seeing your OB or confirming via blood test? Hoping your wait is over, too!

@jchpg Thank you for letting us know how long it took for your period to return. Fingers crossed mine will come in a couple of weeks.

@40momma I second that. It sucks to be here, but it's so incredible that there are others here to guide us. Sharing experiences really help people like me through this.

Ladies, please keep me updated on your progress.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @silvergreen My hcg was 8 yesterday. But I believe that what I had this week was indeed my period. I got the okay to start BCP but they will not check for the cause of my m/c until my hcg is negative. 
    Surgery 10/2015: Planned to start trying again but had a surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    Surgery 5/2016: Planned to start trying again but had another surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    Medicated FET #1: 1/31/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFP. Embryo stopped growing at 6w 1d. MUA at 9w 3d.

• @Prudence9 Almost there. What kind of tests will they be doing once it's negative?

I'll be seeing my OB tomorrow as it marks two weeks post-D&C; curious to see if she will send me for the hCG blood test.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have never been sent for hcg test after d & c.  They just told me AF would arrive 4-6 weeks after.  1st go around it arrives at 6 weeks.  This time it arrived 2weeks 6 days after d & c.  
  • @silvergreen once it's negative I believe they will check thyroids and immunity. Here is the list of the tests: TSH, TPO, a1c, APLS labs (b2gp, ACL ab, LAC)

• @40momma Mine was natural.   I bled for about a week and a half and then like clockwork got my period 29 days after the start of the bleeding.  My body treated the miscarriage like it was any other period. 
  • Saw my OB. She checked my cervix and said everything looked normal and that I've healed up nicely. She cleared me for intercourse (2 weeks post-D&C), but suggested I wait 3 cycles to build up the endometrial lining before TTC.

I asked her if it will take the typical 4-6 weeks before I get my period, and she said probably - but it could take as long as 12 weeks for my first cycle to return. :| Yikes.

Sorry for the TMI, but just in case someone else comes looking for the same info:

I asked her how I'll know if it's a period and not just spotting from the procedure, and she said as long as it's not watery (i.e. soaking straight into a pad), then it's probably a period.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Couldn't help myself and did another HPT. Medium pink. I need a new hobby.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 40momma40momma member
    @silvergreen my heart goes out to you. OB told me to take a few HPT to continue watching my levels but I just can't bare to do that just yet. 

I guess I'm now in that dreadful window of waiting for my next cycle. "as long as 12 weeks"??? Ugh, I'm already 40, I feel like a ticking time bomb
  • @40momma Yeah, it sucks. But it's reassuring to know we aren't going through this alone. I'm sure 12 weeks is probably not very typical. I hope she was just preparing me for the "worst case scenario."

It's kind of like the universe has inverted: we're eager for our periods and crossing our fingers that we don't get that second pink line. :/
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • On Monday it was my 6 weeks mark and on my test last Friday my hcg was 8.... I'm doing another test tomorrow morning. Hopefully after long 6 weeks and 2 days my level will finally be under 5...

• @Prudence9 I'm betting it is! :) Fingers crossed!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @silvergreen thanks! I hope so too!  Pretty sure the spotting I had last week was AF... so I really hope for a number less than 5 tomorrow! Then we can start testing what went wrong last time and start planning for next FET! 

• My hcg this morning came back as 5. So I'm officially not pregnant. 6w 2d after procedure! 

Now need to start testing and seeing what cause the m/c. 

• @Prudence9 Wonderful news!! :)

Fingers crossed they don't find anything that can't be easily resolved!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @silvergreen thanks! I just got the tentative calendar and I'm so excited. We have until May 15th to figure out what went wrong. On that day I start Lupron injections in preparations for next FET. 

Of course, we might need more time. But hopefully 1.5 weeks are sufficient to figure out what went wrong!

• Ladies, I'm just jumping in (late) to say I'm sorry for your losses. I was in your shoes in late February and it is so painful. These boards really saved me. I had a MMC with cytotec. Miscarriage took a full week after drugs. Process was over around 2/28, HCG returned to 5 about 1.5 weeks later. I ovulated 3/15 and AF came 3/31 (like a normal cycle for me, similar to what someone said above). My OB said okay for TTC (her prescription was "love each other"). I had a really tough time emotionally with the MMC so DH and I booked a trip. Sex drive didn't really come back until the month after. By then I also had a better head on my shoulders and somehow a lot of the TTCAL anxiety went away. I'm wishing the same for you both. You're not alone. And you now belong to a village of mothers to babies we did not get the chance to meet. It's heartbreaking, and it allows us to make room for all sorts of emotions that never were there before. My friend said that to me and it was the only comment that gave me any solace. I hope the same for you! @silvergreen so many of your comments resonated with me. Sending positive energy your way.
    edited May 2017
    @libbberty Thank you for sharing. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I really appreciate you sharing your experience. It just reassures people like me stuck in that limbo.

I was intimate for the first time last night (20 days post-loss). It was a weird tangle of emotions for me. I think it's one of those things that you just need to ease back into - getting back on the horse, so to speak (no innuendo intended!).

Today marks 3 weeks, but the HPT is still testing positive; however, it is getting very, very faint.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ugh....still waiting. :(

I'm getting so frustrated! It's been 5 weeks since I was treated with MTX for my Ectopic and still no period. My hCG was super low to begin with (15) and was down to 0 within 4 days of my injection.
  • @toesinthesand-2 Have you taken any OPK's to track ovulation?

I have read multiple posts that recommend calling your OB once you hit the 6 week mark with no sign of AF. I think they can prescribe something to kickstart your cycle. My OB said it can be as long as 12 weeks, but I'll definitely call the office if I reach 6 weeks!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My OB said 6 weeks max and then they would give me something to start AF back up 
  • Had some very scant brown discharge this morning on TP. Not sure if this is a sign that AF is on her way, or if this may be some very minor spotting from intercourse a couple of days ago.
    BabyFruit Ticker