July 2017 Moms

Randoms May 1-7

Re: Randoms May 1-7

• mamadcbmamadcb member
    DS is 15 months and I haven't cut his fingers (yet), but I'm no unicorn! I just wait way too long between trimmings because I don't like doing it. I have a mole on my chest that he likes to play with when he's nursing; I know it's really time for a trim when that starts to hurt! 
  • cssme13cssme13 member
    edited May 2017
    I didn't use nail clippers, I just used my teeth which was suggested by my aunts. I didn't ever cut their fingers that way. Now I use nail clippers and both kids run when they see me.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married: 05/26/2012

DS Born Happy and Healthy via C-section: 10/04/2013

Natural M/C: 07/08/2014

DD Born Happy and Healthy via Emergency C-section: 06/30/2015

BFP #4: 11/15/2016

EDD: 7/27/2017

• Loading the player...
  • cssme13 said:
    I didn't use nail clippers, I just used my teeth which was suggested by my aunts. I didn't ever cut their fingers that way. Now I use nail clippers and both kids run when they see me.
    For a while, DS would hate the nail clippers. But now whenever I cut his nails he says "Mom, that's not so bad!" LOL Now if I can just help him understand that same thing about getting his hair cut.
  • Thanks ladies! I do have stuff for myself (nipple cream, booby tubes, pads, breast pads are in the works) I just didn't put any of that on the list.  Ordered myself some tucks and I also have some bottom spray from Earth Mama Angel Baby, among other things.  I did have the Nose Frida on my registry but when I was Amazon shopping I ended up going with the Hydrasense?!  

@satsumasandlemons I do have both :smile: (oops, as in cloths and a sponge) 
    @AdaByron I was telling my husband that just yesterday about reading that people bite their nails off.  I was shocked!  lol 

I forgot about the gas drops, Vit D and tylenol ... my bestie did mention those to me.  Noted!  I guess the dirty logistics of a change pad cover didn't really register in my brain haha!  Thanks for the recommendations. So much to go through ... appreciate all the responses!  :smile:  
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    Not sure if this goes here but someone suggested I must get the Windi. It's like the nose frida but it just sounds so evil. Is it really that amazing? 
  • I haven't cut my almost two year old and Ive always used clippers! I tried with my teeth but the nails are so soft you can cut the very corner and pull it across- that's what I did and never had any issues! 
  • BusyZee said:
    Not sure if this goes here but someone suggested I must get the Windi. It's like the nose frida but it just sounds so evil. Is it really that amazing? 
    I never had the Windi. But if your baby has digestion trouble and is crying nonstop because of the discomfort, you'll likely be willing to try ANYTHING to help. 
  • I teach 85 minute blocks. I've reached the point where I can't go 85 minutes without peeing. :( 
  • I used the windi.  It was ok.  I expected to love it the way I love the nosefrieda, but I didn't.  I only used it a couple of times and then just never did it again.  Not sure if its because it didn't work that great or because my DD's issues weren't THAT bad.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mamadcb I got the nail clippers from safety first that have a built in light and never had an issue. I'm up to 3.5 years old and no cuts. I would do it when she was nursing as a Itty bitty baby then after bath all wrapped it a towel after she was 6 months or so. I loved those clippers! The battery just went out and I am ordering more from amazon for this LO
  • edited May 2017
    I did not get a nose frida until a couple months ago when DS got his first cold (20 months old) - we were really really lucky.  It wasn't life changing for us but we may have bought it too late.  I used nail clippers and never drew blood - I would have bawled if I did though - yikes!  I didn't know about the baby glass nail file - may head to BBBaby and take a look at one.

+1 on vitamin D drops unless you live in Hawaii or something enviable like that.
  • I've only ever used nail clippers on my kids and have never cut them - no unicorn here, but when they were itty bitty I did it while they slept. Now they just sit and stare at the tv while I cut away!
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• Never used the nosefrida but we were also lucky in that we didn't deal with any colds until she was older. 

We were going to try the windii because we did deal with gas but then we just didn't. Stuck with bicycling legs, massaging tummy and gripe water. I didn't really like the idea of the windii. 

Only ever used clippers and she was cut as a newborn (tiny cut that barely bled) by her dad who felt absolutely horrible but she barely whined and it was fine. They heal so fast when they're little it's almost like magic. Any little scratch, I'd often put some breast milk on it and by the next day it'd be like it was never there. Not sure if the BM was needed, I think they just heal fast, but I figured it couldn't hurt. 

Cutting nails in toddlerhood is the bane of my existence. My daughter hates it and yells and screams. And those suckers grow so quick. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• I hate cutting my toddler's nails ugh!  But then he scratches his face always near his eyes, and also scratches inside his ears.  I have to bribe him with something for him to sit still and let me cut ONE fingernail.  Normally, this is allowing him to
    touch my laptop - we are electronics free (for now) except for Skype - so it's a real treat apparently.
  • I haven't cut my almost two year old and Ive always used clippers! I tried with my teeth but the nails are so soft you can cut the very corner and pull it across- that's what I did and never had any issues! 
    I was just going to post that I did the same
  • cssme13 said:
    rae1-3 said:
    cssme13 said:

Image result for grossed out reaction gif
    Ehh each to their own, I won't use a Nose Frieda because I think they are disgusting but I don't judge anyone for using it.
    Oh I wasn't at all trying to judge, sorry if it came off that way! I also have the same face to the nose frieda, but will probably suck it up (pun intended) and use it if needed. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • edited May 2017
    I bite my own nails so had planned to bite DS's after reading that other women do it...but could never get it to work, and I'm a nail biting pro! Haha.

I just bought the Nose Frida last month (DS will be 2 in June). Agree it wasn't life changing for us, but we've been lucky/maybe started too late.

We never covered DS's hands because in typical FTM fashion, I think I read somewhere that it is better for their development to be able to use and feel their hands. In hindsight, I doubt it really matters. But unless this kid gorges its own eyes, we probably won't cover his/her hands either. 
  • chiquita928chiquita928 member
    edited May 2017
    I liked the safety first nail clippers that came in the kit with all the other baby health products.  I never drew blood, and I never used any other thing to deal with his nails, until he was big enough for real nail clippers.  I would slide the clipper under the nail from the side, and then clip, not go straight at it.  That way I was sure there was no skin before clipping.

ETA: I also gag (I know, for no reason) at the thought of the nose frida.  I had no issues with the regular old snot sucker, and an occasional saline spray.
  • edited May 2017
    I liked the safety first nail clippers that came in the kit with all the other baby health products.  I never drew blood, and I never used any other thing to deal with his nails, until he was big enough for real nail clippers.  I would slide the clipper under the nail from the side, and then clip, not go straight at it.  That way I was sure there was no skin before clipping.

ETA: I also gag (I know, for no reason) at the thought of the nose frida.  I had no issues with the regular old snot sucker, and an occasional saline spray.
    Agree and did the same. I have the nose frida on my list but saline and a snot sucker always worked. I clipped LO's nails the same way and never drew blood. If I didn't do it that way I'd get their skin on some nails. 

Edit: words
  • I just used a nail file on DS nails until he got older now we used regular clippers. Never had a problem.
  • I just file DD's nails with a nail file.  DH cut her once and we aren't going through that again lol.

I own a nose Frida and I've probably only used it twice.  I think it'd be really helpful in the beginning but luckily DD never had a cold until she was 10 months or so and by then she wasn't having any part of that thing!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I know the Nose Frida thing is sanitary and safe but it grosses me out to no end. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married 8 years - Aug 23/08
    DD - 6 years old, March 17/11
    #2 due July 19th! (It's a boy!)
  • This heartburn has me popping Tums in the middle of the night. I love the instant relief, but the taste in my mouth when I wake up later to use the bathroom is AWFUL. I hate having to go brush my tongue before I can get back to sleep. 
  • @Sassenach1743 I started watching Outlander, and I'm hooked.  Doesn't do much for my pregnancy hormones, or rather, it does a LOT for them, haha!  I'm not usually into historical drama, but it's very good!
  • lanie1000 said:
    This heartburn has me popping Tums in the middle of the night. I love the instant relief, but the taste in my mouth when I wake up later to use the bathroom is AWFUL. I hate having to go brush my tongue before I can get back to sleep. 
    @lanie1000 have you tried the mint Tums? DH bought me the fruit ones along with the new Tums chewies and the aftertaste would set my morning nausea off. I switched to the plain mint ones and it's so much better. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married 8 years - Aug 23/08
    DD - 6 years old, March 17/11
    #2 due July 19th! (It's a boy!)
  • @hyperangel_8509 I haven't but I definitely will try them now! Thanks for the tip!! 
  • @Sassenach1743 I started watching Outlander, and I'm hooked.  Doesn't do much for my pregnancy hormones, or rather, it does a LOT for them, haha!  I'm not usually into historical drama, but it's very good!
    Nice! Hope you continue watching in prep for the upcoming season 3, to premiere in September. It's going to be amazing! 
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • XathXath member
    @Sassenach1743 I started watching Outlander, and I'm hooked.  Doesn't do much for my pregnancy hormones, or rather, it does a LOT for them, haha!  I'm not usually into historical drama, but it's very good!
    Nice! Hope you continue watching in prep for the upcoming season 3, to premiere in September. It's going to be amazing! 
    I finally finished the series and am about halfway through the Lord John books.  I'm sad there's not even a release date for the next main story though.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Just made gluten free sausage gravy and biscuits. Sausage has been my biggest aversion this pregnancy yet I was craving it.. two bites in and it was so delicious yet I'm now SO nauseous but still eating it. PREGNANCY MAKES NO SENSE!!!!
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    Just made gluten free sausage gravy and biscuits. Sausage has been my biggest aversion this pregnancy yet I was craving it.. two bites in and it was so delicious yet I'm now SO nauseous but still eating it. PREGNANCY MAKES NO SENSE!!!!
    Haha same. Seafood makes me nauseous but I still wanted and devoured four crab cakes  <3 
  • @BusyZee I'm dying to try BDT's crab cakes! We love their scallops and order them every single time! I'm pretty sure that's the restaurant that has crab hush puppies that DH obsesses over! 
  • Back to the changing table pads...I honestly do not know one mother who actually uses a changing table? Maybe that's just me..but I've always used the floor or our bed and just lay a blanket or towel down? Who knows. 

As for finger nail clippers..I made my husband do that for like the first 5 months because I was too scared! Our youngest was also his 3rd child so he's a pro. 
  • BabyBump2 said:
    Back to the changing table pads...I honestly do not know one mother who actually uses a changing table? Maybe that's just me..but I've always used the floor or our bed and just lay a blanket or towel down? Who knows. 

As for finger nail clippers..I made my husband do that for like the first 5 months because I was too scared! Our youngest was also his 3rd child so he's a pro. 
    I think it just depends on where you spend yo ur time. My DS never went in my bedroom until he was old enough to wander in there himself. It's just not a place I spend much time. I used the PnP as a changing station in the living room for the first few weeks, and after that I used the changing table in his room for nearly every diaper change. But it was all on the same level, not far to walk. Now we're in a 2-story house, so the changing table might not get much use, but I'll still set it up in the nursery bc why not. It's not like I'm buying a new one.
  • BabyBump2 said: 
    Back to the changing table pads...I honestly do not know one mother who actually uses a changing table? Maybe that's just me..but I've always used the floor or our bed and just lay a blanket or towel down? Who knows. 

I used mine for nearly every diaper change, and I alwaysas had a cover on it. Our house isn't that big, so it worked for us. We didn't have a changing station anywhere else, though.
  • We had the changing mat (never with a cover) on the dresser and it helped in the early post partum days so I didn't have to bend over. We had that in his room and then the pack n play in the living room and used that changing pad. Otherwise once he started to wiggle and I no longer trusted him I changed him on the floor and that's what I do still and he's almost 2. However I have a friend who changes her almost 2 year old on the changing table and has the entire time with a cover! So it's really whatever works best for you! 
  • We've used a changing pad on a dresser since DS was born, and still do. He will be 2 next month. When he was tiny and poop explosions were common, we didn't use a cover - and for a while, we used square cloth diapers as a cover. But now we have a minky cover that he loves. I will get a couple more, and another change pad for the dresser in our room for the new baby, so we can have two change stations. 
  • I always use my changing table simply bc I don't want to clean shit or pee out of the bed, off the floor, or anywhere else I choose to change a diaper.