November 2017 Moms
Options

Vision changes

I wanted to put this in symptoms thread but thought it might be something worth discussing separately. My question is :smile:

Do you wear glasses/contacts? Reading or constantly?

Have you noticed any changes in vision and are you having frequent headaches?

i feel like my vision has changed and I read online that it can be a pregnancy symptom but before I run to the eye dr or discuss with my OB I just want to understand if it's just me miserable after staring at my computer for a while or is there a light pregnancy relationship to it. 

Re: Vision changes

• Options
    kschrefkschref member
    There totally could be a pregnancy factor in there.  I had some vision issues when I was pregnant with my daughter.  I wore contacts at the time and my eyes were also constantly dry during my pregnancy and my vision would occasionally go a little blurry.  Since I'm a violinist and have to read tiny notes on a page, it was maddening.  Both OB and eye doctor said it was common and it stopped in 3rd tri, I think.  I have had Lasik since then and haven't had any issues this time(yet). 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    emucolemanemucoleman member
    edited May 2017
    I wear glasses all the time, but my vision isn't actually that bad, I just started wearing them in college, got used to them and now I feel like everything looks wrong when I'm not wearing them. Hah. (I can still drive and do everything I need to do without glasses.) I haven't noticed any vision changes yet but I've had friends who had vision changes during pregnancy and then their vision returned to normal after the baby was born. I actually have had some headaches and I normally don't get headaches, but I didn't associate that with pregnancy or vision...that's an interesting thought. 

Eta: I have slight astigmatism and am slightly near-sighted. 
    Nov 17 BMB May Siggy Challenge: Mother's Day Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wear both and I find my eyes getting dry more often and toward the end of a long day I have trouble focusing. I am also getting frequent headaches.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Unfortunately it's common.  I need to go to the eye doctor, but I'm hesitant because I feel like the exam will give false results.  I find that eye drops help when I feel like my vision is blurry; that and drinking enough water.

I've had eye surgeries and they wouldn't do my last one on schedule because I was still nursing.  Even that can mess with the pressure and moisture in your eyes.

DS1 is 7.  DD is 1.  DS2 is coming in late April.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Thank you ladies. I just wanted to see if I am alone in this or is it fairly common. I don't wear glasses all the time but I do when I am sitting in front of the computer. These days whether I wear my glasses or not I get a headache and have trouble focusing. I have minimal vision insurance at the moment so don't want to go spend a bunch of money at the eye dr. if this is pregnancy related but I also don't know how to function 10 hour days in front of the computer with this. I have mild headaches right after I stare at the computer at the moment and by the end of the day they get quiet severe that I need to lay down.  
  • Options
    Some people have vision changes that revert after having the baby. Mine didn't. I only changed by a quarter point, but it was enough to bother me. Yesterday, I noticed my vision isn't as clear as it should be when using the computer.
  • Options
    My astigmatism increased so much during my last pregnancy that I can't wear contacts at all anymore. My vision was also really bad for about 1-2 months after giving birth.
  • Options
    I have been nearsighted since I was young and I notice that my eyes did get a bit worse last time around and am noticing blurry vision and dry eyes a lot this time too. I have had daily headaches as well but didn't think to relate them.
  • Options
    I am nearsighted with astigmatism. I don't wear glasses as often as I should, but if I am driving at nights (lights coming at me) or if I need to read back lighted menus/signs, I need them. 

I have noticed it is getting harder to see things at a distance. I should probably start wearing my glasses more often...but I just haven't. It is in between being annoying and affecting my work. So yeah, I just need to stop being lazy and carry them around more often. 
  • Options
    I thought about this overnight because I couldn't sleep (thanks, thunderstorms).  I may go to the eye doctor anyway.  I won't be having the baby until November.  Then I'll hopefully be nursing.  Since my insurance covers an exam each year, even if I go now and need glasses, when I go next year if my vision changes, we can change it then too.  Just food for thought

DS1 is 7.  DD is 1.  DS2 is coming in late April.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    My astigmatism increased so much during my last pregnancy that I can't wear contacts at all anymore. My vision was also really bad for about 1-2 months after giving birth.
    This was exactly my experience too! I have a separate pair of glasses that I wore during pregnancy. My eye doctor said it was water retention! So far I haven't noticed it this time, but I'm 100% glasses now.
  • Options
    pawcallpawcall member

Unfortunately it's common.  I need to go to the eye doctor, but I'm hesitant because I feel like the exam will give false results.  I find that eye drops help when I feel like my vision is blurry; that and drinking enough water.

I've had eye surgeries and they wouldn't do my last one on schedule because I was still nursing.  Even that can mess with the pressure and moisture in your eyes.

Me too - I'm due for an eye exam and I need one to get a refill on contacts but my vision is SO BLURRY these days and I KNOW it's the pregnancy. 
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]