September 2017 Moms
Options

Anyone use Cloth in the hospital?

i have a question for cloth diapering mommas... did you use cloth from day 1? I've heard the meconium can be hard to get out of diapers but just wanted to know what everyone did.  I'm not opposed to using disposables in the hospital since this is my first cloth diaper babe but just wondering what others did. 

Re: Anyone use Cloth in the hospital?

• Options
    FTM, but there's no way I'm letting meconium near my cloth diapers :) I'm going to let the nurses use disposables and there's a high chance baby will stay in the hospital until the meconium is finished. 

I would let the nurses use what they use so you're not responsible for any clean up/laundry to bring home (if you're in the hospital for.. 5 days, those diapers need to be brought home and washed).

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    FTM planning to cloth diaper but not from day one. We are assuming baby will be pretty large so I am not planning on buying newborn size cloth diapers and will just start once the one size fit him. 
  • Options
    Ok. I understand. Thanks for the responses and sorry about starting a new thread instead of resurrecting my old ones.  I apologize @labby18 @Sugargirl1019 @awildrose
  • Options
    Fwiw we use cloth with DD (10m old). We waited until her cord stump fell off to use cloth. The coveralls we had were high on her belly and would rub the stump. With disposables we were able to fold them down. Also saved us from the merconium problem. We used honest co and babyganics. They worked well for us. We will likely do the same for this lo.  
  • Options
    ***dirty lurker***

I have a fantasy about bringing my nb aios and small-size liners, with the grovia hanging wetbag for closet nearby.  I don't really care about staining, as I'll have time to worry about getting anything out later, but hoping the liners would help with any staining, and some cd moms swear the meconium washed right out anyway. So who knows.  But obv whenever everything is happening, I realize I might not have a whole lot of say, and it's probably not really worth making a federal case at the time, either, imho.  But still try to go with the flow (i.e. if nurses start throwing on disposibles).  Seems like they try to get people in and out pretty quickly these days, so whether its DH or a friend running home to wash a load inxe or maaaybe twice? or whatever, I think it's probably nbd.  A part of me does want to try, but the other part says obv as long as baby's safe and sound, it can wait till we get home, too.  I do have fluff I'm hoping fits under the stump tho.
  • Options
    I just plan on using what they have at the hospital and I'll switch once baby is home. 
  • Options
    Sprite2012Sprite2012 member
    edited May 2017
    I didn't use cloth at the hospital with DS.  TBH, cloth is kind of a PITA and time consuming, in general.  The last thing I needed those first few days in the hospital was anything that required more of me that I was already giving.  I would not bother with cloth at the hospital.  *Maybe* take baby home in cloth, if you're dying to jump in.

Also, there used to be a very active and very supportive cloth diaper board on TB.  At a glance, it appears it's still up and running.  I learned everything I needed to know (and more) there, instead of on the BMB.  You'll get better pointers and tips from very experienced cloth diaper "pros" asking these questions there.  Just a suggestion.

ETA: spelling
  • Options
    There are diapers with cut outs or snap downs for the unbiblical cord and there are disposable liners to prevent staining from meconium. I'll probably just use the disposables the hospital provides and then switch when we get home. Hopefully we won't be there for long. 

I think blueberry has snap downs, thirsties, born smart from smart bottoms has a notch.
  • Options
    @Sprite2012 TBH, the CD board here on TB? ...is pretty dead these days, since there was a mass exodus to FB a while back.  :/  I'm sure the Search function would be great tho!  But there are new products released all the time, so not sure how current the specific style/brand info may all be, since it's not really super-active anymore.  Of course, there's a post where they mention the FB group, so anyine who cares ro can always join that, where you'll likely find more active posters to answer questuons in "real time."
  • Options
    I completely forgot.... gdiapers has a system(we used it with a preemie) where you can use flushable/compostable inserts with all of their diapers. Just another style to look into. 
  • Options
    @BusinessWife  That's too bad that the CD board is dead now :neutral:  But it doesn't surprise me either, there was a lot of snark in there at times.  Good point though on the search function.  I bet every question has been well answered sometime in the past!
  • Options
    @Sprite2012 @BusinessWife That's sad. I learned so much from that board years ago with my oldest. There was definitely a "lurk before you ask" rule. However, I feel like lurking first is the general expectation on any board. It's just more vocalized in specialty boards like CD and TTGP, etc. 
    <><><><><>DD1- May 2011<><><><><>
    <><><><><>Angel Baby- June 2012<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DD2- March 2013<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DS1- ETA September 2017<><><><><>
  • Options
    @awildrose @Sprite2012. I was pretty bummed about it too...  I feel like I missed out on an era there  :'(