September 2017 Moms
Options

Disposable diaper brands and styles

I am actually a bit nervous about starting a new thread but I searched first and don't recall seeing any conversations about this. Sorry if I missed a thing!

We have decided to use disposable diapers for our LO. Now, as a FTM, there are about 900 brands and types and trying to decide what to put on our registry is fairly difficult!

What was, or is, your brand or type of diaper?
Did it change as the child got older (like for newborn you loved ZY brand but found the DZ brand was better once they hit size two?)
Reasons why you loved or hated different brands/types?
For those with kids of both sexes, was there differences for you in what diaper worked best?
Other things I'm not even thinking could be a factor?

Re: Disposable diaper brands and styles

• Options
    First. Don't be nervous about starting a thread. I do it all the time. LoL. 

As as far as disposables I loved pampers swaddlers for my newborns. This babe will be cloth diapered so it's a little different for me now.  The fit was great for both DD and DS. And I loved the little strip that told me when they were wet.  Now once they got old I switched and loved target brand diapers.  They were a great fit, no leaks and a lot cheaper.  I used target brand diapers for both my kids. 

Personally I would register for different kinds to find which one you liked.  You may hate pampers. And love Huggies. 
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I actually asked my mom this a few days ago. I've had two people ask me what kind of diapers I plan to use... how am I supposed to know? I guess I'll try different ones and see which works best for me and my baby. Some people swear by Pampers... some people hate them. Same with Huggies, so I guess it will be trial and error. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    wyomama0427wyomama0427 member
    edited April 2017
    With DS they gave us huggies in the hospital. We used pampers when we got home. His penis pointed upward for a while so he'd pee out of almost everything. As he got bigger we stuck with the pampers swaddlers because there's a little net type mesh in them that caught poo better than huggies. When he started to get mobile we used pampers cruisers but recently we switched to huggies little movers... I LOVE them. If you're worried, have a few different smaller packs of diapers in different brands. Also don't be afraid to go up a size if you need to. DS was always in a size above the "recommended" for his weight because it helped us prevent leaks and blowouts. I know it seems silly but look at the side or back of the diaper box and read about the "features". That helps.

edited because I can't English today I guess
  • Options
    I agree with trying it yourself, but here is how I felt about it. Huggies smell like pee. Generic brands leaked a lot. Pampers baby dry doesn't hold poop but does well for overnight pee. Pampers swaddlers are good all around ones. 

• Options
    MyNamesTakenMyNamesTaken member
    edited April 2017
    This is something you'll probably have to figure out through trial and error. Huggies never worked for us. He would have a blow out every time. Others loved Huggies and couldn't get Pampers to work. It all depends on your LO and how each brand fits.

ETA: apparently an hour went by between writing this response and posting it... So what everyone else said! :blush:
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I've used pampers swaddlers on DS since he was born and he's now 2. Knock on a big ole tree here, but he's never had a blowout or leaked anywhere except for about twice when he was a tad damp in the morning from a full night of pee. I know I shouldn't have said that because now he'll explode in my car. But anyways, for us they worked great and I'm not switching with this LO. Ive registered all my diapers and wipes (pampers sensitive) on the pampers rewards site and I'm almost at enough for a radio flyer tricycle and I've already gotten him a couple things off there with our points. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I liked pamper swaddles for newborn and then we used honest. They fit great and don't leak. Huggies caused an instant rash on my son. 
  • Options
    awildroseawildrose member
    edited April 2017
    We mainly cloth diapered with my first two, but will use disposables with this baby. We look for chlorine free and unbleached diapers. Biodegradable is an extra point in our book. No fragrances or other odd ingredients. We've used Seventh Generation in the past and Honest Co. But I've gotten weary of Honest's actual honesty so I'm staying away from them if I can. My two I'm looking at trying out this time are Earth's Best and Bamboo Nature. I've heard good things about Parasol, but they get pricey. 

I would definitely recommend trying trying different types. All babies fit diapers differently and react to diapers differently. Both Target and Wal-Mart will exchange unopened diapers if you get a bunch of one brand that you find don't work for you or need to move up a size before you open all the boxes. 

Edit because spelling is hard. 
    <><><><><>DD1- May 2011<><><><><>
    <><><><><>Angel Baby- June 2012<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DD2- March 2013<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DS1- ETA September 2017<><><><><>
  • Options
    With DS Pampers swaddlers worked best while I was nursing. He had extremely large liquidy BMs as a little guy and Huggies did not adequately absorb them. Now that he is older, 2.5, Huggies work just fine. Except this morning...but we won't go there. But, who knows. This kid could be completely different.
  • Options
    Ok ok. I'll take the hint and go hide in my hole for awhile. @labby18 and @mrs_tacos
  • Options
    @wyomama0427 I discovered them on accident!! I ran out of diapers one day and ran to get some, but they were out of pampers. I saw those and loved them ever since! We started buying them in bulk at costco for way cheaper and ended up trying a sample of the Costco brand. They're essentially the same as the Huggies and we haven't ever had a problem with those either! Equally awesome. They're about the same price, so I always just bought what was on sale  :) Now DS is potty trained, but we still use the Huggies at night!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So let me tell you someone above (too lazy to scroll up to see who but most ideas in this thread is on point) nailed it with Trial and Error. We tried honest, pampers swaddlers, pampers baby dry, pampers cruisers, Huggies (all of them), luvs, target brand... I found the only kind that EVER worked fail proof was swaddlers for us.. we are almost to a size 6 (God willing not for long!) and they have been the only that are leak proof and I think @wyomama0427 said best Poop catchers! We still use them... but maybe my next kid... maybe they will do betters with luvs who knows. Most FTMs get a plethora of diapers from the shower and once you find the best for you return the other diapers as you need more and exchange for the size and brand that works! 
  • Options
    DS breaks into a horrid ulcerated rash anytime we try anything except pampers swaddles. Praying for my wallets sake that this LO is not so sensitive :/ one time DH brought home baby dry on accident and and I decided to go ahead and use them and DS literally had weeping ulcers on his butt like 4 days into wearing them. Huggies always always always leaked pee every damn time. So those were out. I'm hoping I'll be able to get away with members mark or target brand with this one!! Pampers swaddlers are ass expensive
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I know whatever I end up using (although I'm now leaning towards Pamper Swaddlers to start) could just totally not work for baby...but I like having a starting point, and it's really nice hearing opinions on how they worked for people.  
    My husband was a nanny for a baby girl almost six years ago and I remember she started out with one brand and then they just stopped working as well when she got older. 
  • Options
    @beccam1230 we discovered them by accident too!!!!!! Our grocery store here in this tiny ass town doesn't carry pampers cruisers. The ONLY diapers they had in a size six were the huggies little movers so that's what DH brought home and I never went back lol
  • Options
    I am glad this thread was started and appreciate everyone's advice! I got as obsessed as looking on youtube for diaper comparisons and demos. Even when people were pouring equal amounts of colored water into different brands of diapers, different people got different results!! I determined that I am just going to have to try different ones out and that seems to be the popular consensus here.

@mrs_tacos where are you going to get different samples? Just to each brand's website?
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 34 | DH: 31
    Married: Nov. 7, 2015
    TTC Since: February, 2016
    BFP: December 20, 2016

• Options
    I just came across this site. I've never used it before, but I like the idea of getting a variety of samples to check out. 

https://www.diaperdabbler.com/
    <><><><><>DD1- May 2011<><><><><>
    <><><><><>Angel Baby- June 2012<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DD2- March 2013<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DS1- ETA September 2017<><><><><>
  • Options
    @stephy_p Both Target and Amazon Prime registries give different samples when you sign up, our hospital gives samples when you officially tell them you'll be giving birth there (along with other stuff too), and I've signed up for the mailing lists of some places like Motherhood Maternity and Parenting magazine that have sent me several opportunities for samples of various things through email. I'm finding that a lot of companies are willing to throw samples at expecting moms in the hope of getting our business. 

• Options
    +1 on pamper swaddlers for sensitive skin babies.  We mostly CD but occasionally DS needs a disposable and with his sensitive skin, the swaddlers worked the best.
  • Options
    We were all about Pampers swaddlers until DS started walking ( 9 months) they chaffed his hips fiercely. We switched to huggies movers ( Bonus that they are at costco) and haven't tried anything else- he's 2 now. 
  • Options
    DS never had a problem with pampers, but I heard from other moms that their kid's thighs were too big or small and they had leaking problems.  So it really comes down to your baby, in the end.  I was dramatically allergic to disposable diapers, and had to wear cloth.  
    Personally, pampers swaddlers worked best when DS was small.  We switched to pampers cruisers or target brand once he started crawling.  Target is so much cheaper, and they work just as well for us.  
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    We cloth diapered with DS, but I still used disposables sometimes.  I loved Honest Company brand.  Loved.  I switched between Honest and Seventh Generation when I bought disposables.  We were given Pampers Swaddlers at the hospital, so I used those when he was tiny.  They were great, and that's usually what I'd buy if I were out and about, traveling, etc and Honest wasn't available.  I tried Huggies a couple times and I agree with a PP, they smell like pee and leaked every time.  So do the cheaper generic diapers.  I never used Luvs, but I can smell my friends' kids when they're wearing them, so I put them in the Huggies category.

I would buy a few brands and try them out.  They all fit a bit different, smell different, and absorb different.  There really is no "best" option, it just depends on what works best on your little's bum.   
  • Options
    We ended up using nothing but seventh generation with DS and they never disappointed us.  They are not bleached and fragrance free.  
  • Options
    We've used Bambo Nature and have been pretty happy with them. Definitely get them through Amazon subscribe and save though as they aren't cheap. But they helped me feel less guilty about not doing cloth diapers. And I always had one package of the next size up to help know when it was time to switch. DS was another one that due to height, always sized up before hitting the weight cap. 
  • Options
    We've used Pampers almost exclusively for both kids (one girl, one boy).  We tried Huggies and Luvs and for us, they just did not contain the mess that is infant poo.  I am a big fan of the Swaddlers, but our older kid has worn Cruisers since he was three.  I also recommend trying out a few brands and seeing which ones you like, and then getting them through Amazon Subscribe and Save.  The cost difference pays for the Prime membership itself, and you can't beat just having your diapers show up every month.

For wipes, we've been happy with the Target Up and Up brand; we used the unscented ones (in the blue packaging).

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I liked pampers swaddlers and earths best. The target up up brand is great for pee, but horrible for bf baby poop. Hated huggies so much. 
  • Options
    I'll jump on the bandwagon and say try multiples out and see what works for you.

As for DD we had pampers in the hospital and that was fine. we stuck with those since they seemed to work well. I was gifted a lot of huggies, but every damm time I put her in huggies she would have massive blowouts. Out the legs, up the back, the front. Just nasty. I threw them away. I also tried Honest before they were in stores and really liked them. Loved the designs. So cute. Target was fine until she started moving a lot. Pampers were my favorite of all. I just had to adjust which ones I bought her for different stages. Cruisers were the best when she was really mobile.

I will start with pampers again with these two. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We used the generic grocery store brand for both of my boys and never had any problems. I would definitely try the cheapest and work you way up. 
  • Options
    We used pampers swaddles for newborn till it was time to switch to size 2, then we settled on Costco's Kirkland brand. We tried all kinds on both kids and Kirkland's ended up being the winner. 

We also swear by Costco Kirkland's baby wipes, they clean everything!

• Options
    SouptinSouptin member
    ^^ @ Tiki8286 Kirkland brand wipes are EVERYTHING! We use nothing else. 
  • Options
    Has anyone used the amazon brand baby wipes? I like the idea of getting diapers and wipes on a regular delivery through prime, and their brand has good reviews, but I'd prefer a recommendation from someone I know and trust. :) 

• Options
    @mrs_tacos I personally haven't but have friends that love them! I hit up Sams Club when they have theirs on sale... if not pampers sensitive because those are thick and clean all the crevices! 
  • Options
    Not sure how much more they cost compared to Amazon @mrs_tacos, but we've really liked the water wipes via subscribe and save. Work great and they're about as simple and safe as they come. 
  • Options
    We used huggies simply clean fragrance free. I was in love with another brand, but they changed the formula.